[REMOVE ADS]

Berry gordy on oprah's life class

So far the program is halfway through and I'm really enjoying it. It's good to see Mr. Gordy talking about himself candidly on the show. He seems to be so energetic, animated and full of life. I've read his book but its also good to actually see him tell his own story. There's not enough time to talk about everything Motown in this one hour but I give Kudos to Motown and this broadcast.
    Last edited by caliluv; 06-17-2013 at 12:41 AM.

I missed it. When does it air again?

No idea if or when it will be broadcast again. Hopefully some forum reader will let the world know if the show is aired again.

A question. There was a shot of a Recording Studio with the number 7317 beneath it. Does anyone know where this studio was located? I never heard of one at 7317.

Quote Originally Posted by Kamasu_Jr View Post
    Not sure if it will be aired again. But we did discuss that it would be broadcast yesterday.

http://soulfuldetroit.com/showthread...ss-This-Sunday

I enjoyed the show. I expected an interview with Oprah. It was just a closeup of Berry talking.

I happened to catch the last few minutes of this yesterday evening. Ironically, it was towards the end of the program where Berry really starts talking about Diana and "You're Nobody".

It wasn't much that hasn't been discussed on here and in books, other than I still don't believe that Berry would have quit managing the Supremes if Diana hadn't performed the song.

For the purists out there, I guess what bothered me was when talking about this, they were showing pics of Diana, Mary and Cindy, along with Diana, Mary and Florence. They also labeled the ironic Supremes pic [[from the cover of Mary's "Dreamgirl") as Diana Ross and the Supremes. I know, it's quirky, but that that time, they were still the Supremes.

The show went to commercial and I started flipping channels and ended up missing the rest of the show. I'm certain it'll be shown again.

I must say though, Berry looks really good. It was nice to see his animation when talking about Motown.

Oh well,i didn't like the interview at all,and i'm a BIG FAN of Berry Gordy,and I LOVE Oprah,this was boring to me,as a FAN the whole interview was about nothing,i wish they had talk about Motown The Musical,no I don't think Berry would have left his biggest act,THE SUPREMES,and yes they are trying to change history again,it was THE SUPREMES Mary Wilson Diana Ross and Florence Ballard that made it BIG,not Diana Ross and The Supremes, a real FAN know the truth,Please stay positive

I enjoyed the Berry Gordy episode on OWN last night. I believe that this was either a Master Class or a Life Class, so I did not view it solely for information, but to gather insight on Mr. Gordy's process in initiating what has become an ICON in the music culture, MOTOWN.

As the segment was airing regarding "You're Nobody Til Somebody Loves You", a rendition of the song by the Supremes was playing in the background. Does anyone know from what performance this came? I really liked this particular mix.

For those not familiar with the Master Class series, it is not an interview. It is a person who has excelled in their field. They speak on their life and lessons learned. I thought it was an insightful hour. His life could fill up 2 hours easy.

I enjoyed the show too. I thought Berry Gordy was great and it was wonderful to see him talk about his growing up, the Gordy family, his career as a boxer, working the assembly line, his career as a songwriter, and the beginning of Motown. An hour was not enough!
    One question, when Berry spoke of the Quality Control aspect at Motown, a picture was shown and there were two ladies in the pic, was one of those ladies Billie Jean Brown, does anyone know?

I also watched the Diahann Carroll episode afterwards and it was just as good as Berry's. Good work Oprah.

Tyrone

Quote Originally Posted by REDHOT View Post
    Oh well,i didn't like the interview at all,and i'm a BIG FAN of Berry Gordy,and I LOVE Oprah,this was boring to me,as a FAN the whole interview was about nothing,i wish they had talk about Motown The Musical,no I don't think Berry would have left his biggest act,THE SUPREMES,and yes they are trying to change history again,it was THE SUPREMES Mary Wilson Diana Ross and Florence Ballard that made it BIG,not Diana Ross and The Supremes, a real FAN know the truth,Please stay positive
    It was boring and self-serving. I enjoyed the episode on Diahann Carroll much better.

Both of them were so full of BS it was hard to watch. Seriously, we were roaring at Berry Gordy - he spent 300k on Queen Mary and had her working with Mrs powell & Cholly? THEY WEREN'T AT MOTOWN YET. He never spent a dime on Queen Mary. He may look together but the man, who I love and admire is either totally crazed or just an habitual liar. I knew DiaHHHanne would be full of it after reading her bio - LOL. Not as bad some we know, but her high horse is coming in last. And that video of her in the car??? ROTFLMAO!!!!!

Please consider that Mr. Gordy is 83 years young. He is trying to recall things that happened nearly a half century earlier in his extremely busy life. Do you think you will be that smart if you reach age 83 and be able to remember things that happened that long ago? I doubt it. I think the comment about him being totally crazed or just a habitual liar went way over the limit. It was insensitive and condescending.

Thanks a lot Woodward. Totally agree. I tend not to respond to negative comments simply because the person just wants to be noticed. I wonder [[as you say) if they can remember what happened [[in their personal lives) 50 years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by TheMotownManiac View Post
    Both of them were so full of BS it was hard to watch. Seriously, we were roaring at Berry Gordy - he spent 300k on Queen Mary and had her working with Mrs powell & Cholly? THEY WEREN'T AT MOTOWN YET. He never spent a dime on Queen Mary. He may look together but the man, who I love and admire is either totally crazed or just an habitual liar. I knew DiaHHHanne would be full of it after reading her bio - LOL. Not as bad some we know, but her high horse is coming in last. And that video of her in the car??? ROTFLMAO!!!!!
    You sound rather unstable. Mr. Gordy should know how much money he spent and who he spent it on. You would not!

Pot calling kettle black on that one!

Quote Originally Posted by jobeterob View Post
    Pot calling kettle black on that one!
    You and your racial slurs. You just can't help yourself, huh?

Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    You and your racial slurs. You just can't help yourself, huh?
    What racial slur? Pots and kettles are not persons? If one types this phrase in a search engine [[and I did it in 2 just to verify), there is no indication of any manner in which this phrase can even remotely be considered a racial slur.
    Many persons have used the phrase "that black dress/ensemble really looks good on Mary Wilson/ Diana Ross/ Nicole Kidman/ Amy Adams etc. etc. Are these considered racial slurs???

Quote Originally Posted by carole cucumber View Post
    What racial slur? Pots and kettles are not persons? If one types this phrase in a search engine [[and I did it in 2 just to verify), there is no indication of any manner in which this phrase can even remotely be considered a racial slur.
    Many persons have used the phrase "that black dress/ensemble really looks good on Mary Wilson/ Diana Ross/ Nicole Kidman/ Amy Adams etc. etc. Are these considered racial slurs???
    You need to stay outta of it. You don't know Jobeterob's history here.......

This link will take you to a bunch of short clips from Oprah's show:

http://www.youtube.com/results?searc...be.xTK7LymJwss

You need to stay outta of it. You don't know Jobeterob's history here.......
    His history here has no bearing on your unfounded accusation? When Jobeterob or any of us is insensitive, unkind, or hurtful then we should be called on the carpet.
    Jobeterob has said nothing inappropriate in the phrase that he uses.
    When wrong is being perpetrated [[ as you are doing here) any one of us has the right to point it out since you have chosen to make your false accusation here on a public forum.

Quote Originally Posted by carole cucumber View Post
    His history here has no bearing on your unfounded accusation? When Jobeterob or any of us is insensitive, unkind, or hurtful then we should be called on the carpet.
    Jobeterob has said nothing inappropriate in the phrase that he uses.
    When wrong is being perpetrated [[ as you are doing here) any one of us has the right to point it out since you have chosen to make your false accusation here on a public forum.
    Honoring Ralph's wishes, I am going to ignore you. Good evening.

Honoring Ralph's wishes, I am going to ignore you. Good evening.
    Because Ralph obviously contacted you after my private message asking him to intercede to stop your injustice from going any further, you are leaving here- not because Ralph has asked you to ignore me.
    We all know that Ralph is a much better, sensitive and kinder man than you give him credit for being by your untruthful comment.

Carole's right; my comment had nothing whatever to do with anything racial.

Marv2 called someone something mean. I made a comment about that; nothing else.

Marv obviously didn't like it. And others don't like it when he is mean to them.

But I don't like being unkind to anyone, even Marv2. [[If I was).

I'm surprised that the physical edition of Gordy's book, "To Be Loved", hasn't been re issued...it's going for crazy prices on Amazon and elsewhere, one would think they'd have re issued the book timed with MOTOWN THE MUSICAL opening on BRoadway

Thanks Methuselah2 for the links ...the song You're Nobody...in the background is good, I could really hear Flo and Mary.

just checked Amazon and now Gordy's book is regular priced again...and there's a paperback edition..surprised that they're not pushing the book.

http://www.amazon.com/To-Be-Loved-Me...ds=berry+gordy

Showing $150 for used; $226 for new??

My copy must be worth a fortune. He signed mine.....

Quote Originally Posted by Kamasu_Jr View Post
    It airs again tomorrow nigh [[Monday, June24th) at 10 p.m.

And there are 2 more airings
    •Tue 6/25 12:00AM - 1:00AM, OWN
    •Tue 6/25 3:00AM - 4:00AM, OWN

Quote Originally Posted by milven View Post

Thanks for the heads-up, Milven. I can program my DVR.

Quote Originally Posted by milven View Post

Thank you dear milven i have it all set to record.

Yours,with every good wish.

Roberta

What would he have spent money on? He billed every dime spent against royalties and live appearances for all acts - you know that. Mary Wells said over and over she saw very little of the money she generated while at Motown. You PERSONALLY have questioned Mr Gordy's veracity for years - now all of the sudden, his word is gold? OK. I may not KNOW how much he spent on Mary Wells. I DO know that Motown collected all monies spent on acts if it generated enough. All record companies do that. I could tell you things I DO know - but you wouldn't like it. LOL
    You sound rather unstable. Mr. Gordy should know how much money he spent and who he spent it on. You would not!

I agree my verbiage was too strong considering the great man he is. I stick by my statement that he was purposefully untrue concerning Queen Mary. You can disagree, but I'm not holding him to remember what he had for lunch that day, but rather his argument "on Mary's behalf" about what he did for her. He did do a lot for her - but not those things. As for Mrs Powell & Cholly, he began to get the idea for artist development because of Queen Mary. He is re-writing history in his favor as most famous people seem to do, and it's his right to do so. It's his right to say he sang lead on Touch if he wants - it doesn't mean anyone has to believe it. I spoke with Mr Gordy for a very few minutes at the premiere and he is as sharp as a tack - amazingly so. Not just sharp for 83, sharper than me at 30 years his junior - plus he looks fantastic. I don't know if he had work done or not - it doesn't appear as though he has, but he looks 50 ish. He was the happiest man on Earth that night: hundreds of luminaries singing his praises for a terrible play that everyone loves - only Berry Gordy can do THAT. Bottom line: he did change the world and we right now are responding to his work.
    Quote Originally Posted by woodward View Post
    Please consider that Mr. Gordy is 83 years young. He is trying to recall things that happened nearly a half century earlier in his extremely busy life. Do you think you will be that smart if you reach age 83 and be able to remember things that happened that long ago? I doubt it. I think the comment about him being totally crazed or just a habitual liar went way over the limit. It was insensitive and condescending.

Quote Originally Posted by TheMotownManiac View Post
    I agree my verbiage was too strong considering the great man he is. I stick by my statement that he was purposefully untrue concerning Queen Mary. You can disagree, but I'm not holding him to remember what he had for lunch that day, but rather his argument "on Mary's behalf" about what he did for her. He did do a lot for her - but not those things. As for Mrs Powell & Cholly, he began to get the idea for artist development because of Queen Mary. He is re-writing history in his favor as most famous people seem to do, and it's his right to do so. It's his right to say he sang lead on Touch if he wants - it doesn't mean anyone has to believe it. I spoke with Mr Gordy for a very few minutes at the premiere and he is as sharp as a tack - amazingly so. Not just sharp for 83, sharper than me at 30 years his junior - plus he looks fantastic. I don't know if he had work done or not - it doesn't appear as though he has, but he looks 50 ish. He was the happiest man on Earth that night: hundreds of luminaries singing his praises for a terrible play that everyone loves - only Berry Gordy can do THAT. Bottom line: he did change the world and we right now are responding to his work.

NO! He got the idea for Artist Development from Gwen Gordy, his sister and comments about the stage demeanor of the Contours and the Marvelettes. That is where it came from mostly. Continue........

YES!!!! As he said at the premiere of The Motown Musical "I knew that audiences were responding to Mary Wells in certain venues, but not in others. My dream, was to be able to present her anywhere, like I knew I could with Diana, but Diana wasn't selling records - yet. In fact, as this was happening, The Temptations finally hit as did The Vandellas, so everyone on the label had a hit EXCEPT Diana and SHE'S the one I felt I could take all the way. So, with the help from my sister, we began to put together this idea for Artist Development department that all our acts would attend." Now maybe you had coffee with Berry and he told you something else, but this is what he said to the press and it makes sense. Too bad you weren't there to see your good buddy Mary Wilson.
    NO! He got the idea for Artist Development from Gwen Gordy, his sister and comments about the stage demeanor of the Contours and the Marvelettes. That is where it came from mostly. Continue........