[REMOVE ADS]

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Motown 25 - US Magazine?

Hi, all - I'm new to the forum but a long time Motown fan [[especially the Supremes) and have always been curious about the infamous photo of the Diana-Mary altercation that supposedly ran in US Magazine at the time [[I believe it was US Magazine). Does anyone have a scan of it or know what issue it was so I can try to track it down? We've all read the different accounts of what happened and I've always wanted to see the US coverage, especially since I imagine the footage itself will never see the light of day. Can you imagine if that happened today? It would be all over YouTube before the audience even left the theater! I understand there's a MOTOWN at 50 TV special in the works so dare we even dream of another attempt at a televised Supremes reunion? That would be a ratings winner for sure and make this Supremes fan very happy...

Speaking of Motown on video, I think the new Ed Sullivan DVDs are terrific and I am really looking forward to the complete Supremes singles set and the expanded "MORE HITS..." CD coming out soon.

Thanks in advance and I've enjoyed reading a lot of the posts here.

Hey, welcome to Soulfuldetroit!I think the incident you are referring to was greatly exaggerated & the tale has grown over the years.I don't recall seeing a photo of the incident.If there is I'm sure someone can point you to it.

If I remember rightly, the incident involved Diane grabbing Mary's hand to prevent her from moving too far forward, as had been rehearsed. Diana had to be in the forward position on stage to present her speech to Berry Gordy about "everyone coming home" for the 25th anniversary event. I think too much was made of the incident at the time and Diana was just being her usually "professional" self.

I have that US Magazine and what has been reported about it is untrue. Yes, the text mentions that the reunion didn't go well. But there are no photos showing shoving, or mike snatching. They simply show Diana, Mary, and Cindy onstage singing.

FYI: The issue is 5/23/83, and has Charlene Tilton and her husband singer Johnny Lee on the cover.

Thanks for the fast replies!

"I have that US Magazine and what has been reported about it is untrue."

Isn't it funny how that happens? I've read several places that the magazine had a photo of "the" incident. Anyway, thanks for the info about the issue itself...

Oh!!!mary herself said the incident did happen and i believe mary...motown forever!

honest man Guest
    Here we go,i will not be on this thread from now,

Quote Originally Posted by ejluther View Post
    Hi, all - I'm new to the forum but a long time Motown fan [[especially the Supremes) and have always been curious about the infamous photo of the Diana-Mary altercation that supposedly ran in US Magazine at the time.
    Welcome to the Forum, ejluther. The alleged incident that may or may not have happened was 27 years ago. It has been discussed over and over throughout the years with many hurtful things said by members to one another in expressing various view points and opinions. Please be aware that topics related to the Supremes tend to have toxic effects on relations between members. I hope you enjoy being a member of this Forum.

I have press coverage, and all press reported that the audience let out an audible gasp after Mary. on mic, says,"Berry, come on down!" and Miss Ross pushes the mic down while proclaiming "it's been taken care of!'..
    it wasn't a fight, but let's not pretend that film editors weren't working overtime to splice a version that looked acceptable, quickly cutting to Ross saying" How long is it gonna take you to get down here?" to Gordy,who then embraces Mary and says "You finally learned how to sing!",making light of Mary taking over the lead on "Someday We'll Be Together'...
    and that's the way it is!

Quote Originally Posted by nabob View Post
    Welcome to the Forum, ejluther. The alleged incident that may or may not have happened was 27 years ago. It has been discussed over and over throughout the years with many hurtful things said by members to one another in expressing various view points and opinions. Please be aware that topics related to the Supremes tend to have toxic effects on relations between members. I hope you enjoy being a member of this Forum.
    Thanks and I wasn't trying to start anything - just curious about the photo I've heard so much about, that's all. My favorite thing about the Supremes is and always been the music and performances, not the drama [[although that, too, is undeniably compelling)...

Quote Originally Posted by arrr&bee View Post
    Oh!!!mary herself said the incident did happen and i believe mary...motown forever!
    It did happen [[in front of approx. 4,000 eye witnesses). Anyone that says it didn't, is lying or just don't know the facts!

Cindy Birdsong, the other woman on the stage at the time said it happened also!

dianesfan_1965 Guest
    It happened. I seen it.

RossHolloway Guest
    much to do about nothing...once again.

dianesfan_1965 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by RossHolloway View Post
    Before RTL .... there was MOTOWN 25!!!!!!!!

RossHolloway Guest
    I just think this is another thread to start Supreme fans to clashing again. Anyone else find it "curious" that a new poster would start this type of thread? And their only posts are about this thread....I'm just sayin...

Quote Originally Posted by dianesfan_1965 View Post
    It happened. I seen it.
    Yeah, a couple of friends of mine that were there saw it too, so I know it happened.

That's what I said, but then Mary wrote her book , "Dreamgirl, My Life As A Supreme" and it was all over then. Just ask Diane.

I just think this is another thread to start Supreme fans to clashing again. Anyone else find it "curious" that a new poster would start this type of thread? And their only posts are about this thread....I'm just sayin...

You could be right. We do have a certain creep quotient here. LOL!!!

Does anyone remember that a month ago Mary Wilson asked people to stop the petty chat? And if they couldn't, to leave her out of it.

A shame she is ignored again.

Quote Originally Posted by jobeterob View Post
    Does anyone remember that a month ago Mary Wilson asked people to stop the petty chat? And if they couldn't, to leave her out of it.

Yeah well, we are discussing an important moment in Motown History. After Motown 25 , I was finished with Diana Ross forever. After "Dreamgirl, My Life As A Supreme", most of the American Public was through with Diana Ross forever! This is hardly petty......!

They both behaved badly.

Diana was sick and dismissed Mary and Cindy off the bat. She should have been a lot more respectful.

Mary deliberately went against the planned dress code, choreography and introductions. Regardless of whatever "Getting caught up in the moment" spin she puts on it.

Cindy just did whatever she was told.

All in all, it was a lackluster performance, and a shame that the Supremes only reunion was such a disaster.

Quote Originally Posted by thaperson View Post
    They both behaved badly.

Diana was sick and dismissed Mary and Cindy off the bat. She should have been a lot more respectful.

Mary deliberately went against the planned dress code, choreography and introductions. Regardless of whatever "Getting caught up in the moment" spin she puts on it.

Cindy just did whatever she was told.

All in all, it was a lackluster performance, and a shame that the Supremes only reunion was such a disaster.

Yeah, BUT! Forget the routine. Diane is never to put her hands on Mary Wilson's person or anyone else's. She is still suffering the consequences whether her fans choose to believe it or not.

But nothing.

Diana was wrong for not treating the girls with the proper respect, and Mary was wrong for going out of her way to ruin the performance.

Is it not solely Diana's fault. BOTH should have worked together like adults to make it memorable. This was about Motown and Berry, not them.

Motown and Berry WAS all about The Supremes, to me and millions of fans worldwide,which is the way Gordy wanted it; he created the monster

Quote Originally Posted by thaperson View Post
    But nothing.

Diana was wrong for not treating the girls with the proper respect, and Mary was wrong for going out of her way to ruin the performance.

Is it not solely Diana's fault. BOTH should have worked together like adults to make it memorable. This was about Motown and Berry, not them.

Screw that! Diana Ross was wrong and you see what she got for it!

Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    You could be right. We do have a certain creep quotient here. LOL!!!
    I can assure you I'm not a creep and indeed am an authentic new poster - sorry I haven't had time to post about more topics. I just figured this was the place to ask about the US Magazine coverage from 1983 so I joined to do so and I still don't think that's a bad question to ask as I am not taking sides. I’ve always tried to concentrate on the music and performances themselves – sure, I’ve read all the books and all the different viewpoints and that can be interesting and fun but I believe the truth is that these three young women found themselves in an overwhelming world of success that took its toll on each of them in very different ways.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimi LaLumia View Post
    Motown and Berry WAS all about The Supremes, to me and millions of fans worldwide,which is the way Gordy wanted it; he created the monster
    He had totally created a monster and then it turned on him........

I can assure you I'm not a creep and indeed am an authentic new poster - sorry I haven't had time to post about more topics. I just figured this was the place to ask about the US Magazine coverage from 1983 so I joined to do so and I still don't think that's a bad question to ask as I am not taking sides. I’ve always tried to concentrate on the music and performances themselves – sure, I’ve read all the books and all the different viewpoints and that can be interesting and fun but I believe the truth is that these three young women found themselves in an overwhelming world of success that took its toll on each of them in very different ways.

I am not referring to you in particular. I am making a statement in general as we have had our share of creeps in the past here at least the 9 years I have been a member. Thanks.

Diana Ross pushed Mary Wilson onstage at Motown 25.

I don't think there is anything wrong with asking the question, posting the thread etc.

The problem, as Mary has pointedly pointed out, is some fans; they know who they are; she has told them to stop. And they go........."but, it's not me............"

And it is them.

dianesfan_1965 Guest
    I don't think there is anything wrong with asking the question, posting the thread etc.

The problem, as Mary has pointedly pointed out, is some fans; they know who they are; she has told them to stop. And they go........."but, it's not me............"

And it is them.
    Yup! You said it!

dianesfan_1965 Guest
    Yeah, a couple of friends of mine that were there saw it too, so I know it happened.
    Well, my post was a joke. But I do recall reading the LA Times when I was in college in LA about the taping of M-25. My point is that people STILL keep talking shit about what happened like it takes place in history above the killing of the Jews in WW2 and 9/11.

People need to move the fuck on, like Mary has asked.

Quote Originally Posted by dianesfan_1965 View Post
    Well, my post was a joke. But I do recall reading the LA Times when I was in college in LA about the taping of M-25. My point is that people STILL keep talking shit about what happened like it takes place in history above the killing of the Jews in WW2 and 9/11.

People need to move the fuck on, like Mary has asked.
    I'm not moving on. Go tell whoever you like!

I didn't realize what trouble I was stirring up - I was just curious about that reported photo and what it showed and I appreciate reese filling me in. In an attempt to change the topic, I did just buy a fun piece of Supremes memorabilia on eBay recently - a wrapper from the bread that bore their name [[I paid a lot less than $300 for it though):
    http://jimdye.tumblr.com/post/408807...-bread-you-can

I know there's obvious irony in the type of bread but it's also kind of campy and fun.

Very true Marv. Nelson George a highly respected music writer reported that Diana pushed Mary and knocked her mic down. Its in his book Where Did Our Love Go. Fascinating how some try to minimize it. People saw a side of Diana that Berry had protected the public from. Her career has never fully recovered. Diana came late, prevening a full rehersal. She did not follow script and ran out to dance with Adam Ant--Mary wore a red dress and praised Flo-terrible lol!

atcsm Guest
    Diana Ross pushed Mary Wilson onstage at Motown 25.
    and it must be true since you said it.......like the Halo award.

atcsm Guest
    Screw that! Diana Ross was wrong and you see what she got for it!
    Great reviews for this latest leg of her tour.........

A Kennedy Centre Honour? The highest award America gives to a civilian?

Or the Soul Train Lifetime Achievement Award?

None of them there HaLO things from that dude though........

Quote Originally Posted by atcsm View Post
    and it must be true since you said it.......like the Halo award.
    Look ADC or whatever. It's true because there were approx. 4,000 eyewitnesses in the audience that night. You believe in the tooth fairym, but find it impossible to believe Diana Ross shoved Mary Wilson onstage, in front of a live audience? Go figga! LOL!

No! Spinning ain't gone help recover these last 25 -30 years of nuthin' honey! LOL!

A Kennedy Centre Honour? The highest award America gives to a civilian?

Or the Soul Train Lifetime Achievement Award?

None of them there HaLO things from that dude though........
    Oh please Rob. She'll give the handful of awards back just to have a hit record. She'd kill have just ONE Grammy........, but alas hehehehehehe!

Quote Originally Posted by luke View Post
    Very true Marv. Nelson George a highly respected music writer reported that Diana pushed Mary and knocked her mic down. Its in his book Where Did Our Love Go. Fascinating how some try to minimize it. People saw a side of Diana that Berry had protected the public from. Her career has never fully recovered. Diana came late, prevening a full rehersal. She did not follow script and ran out to dance with Adam Ant--Mary wore a red dress and praised Flo-terrible lol!
    Nelson George detailed the situation perfectly! All I know is that they did not send Smokey Robinson out on stage to protect Mary Wilson! LOL!

She should try to be more like Freda Payne. Keep up with times in her appearance especially. Maybe even go overseas to make a record like Freda did with Cliff Richards recently. Ross constantly touring of the U.S. is just one more Oldies act . Maybe she could do something with Chubby Checker or Davey Jones of the Monkees to make herself interesting to the public again. I don't know. Just some thoughts.
    Last edited by marv2; 09-22-2011 at 06:09 AM.

smark21 Guest
    She should try to be more like Freda Payne. Keep up with times in her appearance especially. Maybe even go overseas to make a record like Freda did with Cliff Richards recently. Ross constantly touring of the U.S. is just one more Oldies act . Maybe she could do something with Chubby Checker or Davey Jones of the Monkees to make herself interesting to the public again. I don't know. Just some thoughts.
    Poor Diane.

I wonder if she's ordered her copy of "Hype and Soul" yet?

RossHolloway Guest

Well some people like to pounce on any topic that will stir the pot between Diana Ross and Mary Wilson. I've never understood how any person could hate either Diana or Mary yet still love the Supremes. I'm still pretty amazed at the glee some people get from trying to bash either of these two Icons, especially Diana Ross. It's as if she has personally spit in their ice tea or something. The fact remains that these two women have been in show business for over 50 years and are still performing and are in demand today. They are both two beautiful and talented women who I just wish people would just sit back and enjoy and appreciate. Diana Ross has been one of the most successful women in popular music in this past half century. This is not my opinion this is a fact. No amount of bickering or catfighting or name calling will change this fact. Diana Ross is and will remain a woman who is known and loved around the world. Same for Mary Wilson. As I speculated yesterday, the original poster of this thread knew exactly what they were doing to stir the pot. We really shouldn't feed the trolls on this site and there are some pretty obvious ones here TWO.

The train has left the station!

Penny

LOL When she does tour overseas, you have said it's because no one in the US cares to see her. Now that she's on the 4th successful leg of this tour, you say she should go overseas! Get your 'critiques' straight, bruh! hehehehe

dianesfan_1965 Guest

What a load of shit.