[REMOVE ADS]

Nick ashford r.i.p.

Motown songwriting legend Nick Ashford passed away today from throat cancer. Along with his wife Valerie Simpson, Ashford created and performed on some of Motowns greatest hits. R.I.P.

Celebrity News
    [[CNN) -- Nickolas Ashford, one-half of the successful Motown singer-songwriter duo of Ashford and Simpson, died Monday afternoon, his longtime former publicist said.

Liz Rosenberg, who in addition to having been their publicist described herself as a close friend of Ashford and his wife Valerie Simpson, said she was "heartbroken" to hear of Ashford's death.

"He was a true king," she said. "I loved him very much."

Ashford had been battling and was being treated for throat cancer, and Rosenberg said she believed his death "was quite sudden." His wife and children were at his bedside when he died, she said.

He was 69, reported imdb.com and numerous other sources.

According to their MySpace page, Ashford and Simpson met in 1964 in New York City. Within two years, as songwriters with Scepter Songwriters, they scored their first hit with Ray Charles' "Let's Go Get Stoned."

The couple then joined Motown Records, where they wrote a host of popular songs for the likes of Marvin Gaye, Tammi Terrell and Diana Ross including "Ain't No Mountain High Enough," "Ain't Nothing Like the Real Thing" and "Reach Out and Touch [[Somebody's Hand)." Later in their careers, their songwriting credits included Chaka Khan's "I'm Every Woman."

In the '70s, Ashford and Simpson went from songwriters to performers, releasing nine albums for Motown, Warner Brothers Records [[like CNN, a division of Time Warner) and Capitol Records between 1973 and 1984. Their biggest hit during that time was the song "Solid [[As a Rock)."

On stage, Ashford typically sported long curly hair, a goatee and a knack for hitting high notes.

In 1996, he established the Sugar Bar, a restaurant and live entertainment venue in Manhattan's Upper West Side. According to its website, the bar showcases soul, jazz, Caribbean, African and other types of music and has been visited by numerous guests over the years such as Bruce Willis, Stevie Wonder, Maya Angelou and others.

The Songwriters Hall of Fame inducted Ashford and his wife in 2002, calling them "one of the most prolific and versatile musical couples in recording history."

Sad news indeed. Valerie must be devastated - they always seemed a perfect couple and did so much together. Another major loss and at such a young age. Thanks for the music Nick.

Woke up this morning and heard the sad news on Tom Joyner. Thank you Nick for writing beautiful music and may God comfort Valerie and their family at this time.

Can't describe how sad this news made me this morning. I last ran into Nick in 2006 I think it was. I can't talk about him right now except to say RIP...

So many mornings these days we wake up to hear sad news of those who have Inspired us and brought us much Joy with their music have left us to Go Home! and that was deffitnely the case with Nick Ashford today, both his writing talents with Dear Wife Valerie and their talents are artists. Rest in Peace Nick and sincerest condolences to Valerie and their Family.

Very sad news,a great singer song writer,NICK ASHFORD, my heart goes out to his wife VALERIE SIMPSON,and his FAMILY,R.I.P my brother.

Sad news!Condolences to his family & friends.

Such sad sad news. R.I.P...and know that your magical musical artistry, that touched so many, will live on. Paulo xxx

oh no. To this day "Is It Still Good to Ya" is one of my favorite songs.

R.I.P.

God Bless Nick Ashford and his family.

Just like Leiber and Stoller, the work that these two did is also landmark...and not only were he and Val great writers, but they could certainly sing 'em as well!! RIP, Nick, and thank you...

Best,

Mark

My most sincere condolences go out to Valarie Simpson and the family. There are not enough words to describe how we all feel about Nick and Val. The legacy will live on as well as the memories.
    I'm sure Nick is now hearing the words: ""Well done, my son, Well done."

From Vanessa Jordan at the National R&B Music Society...

Funeral services for Nick Ashford will be held Saturday, August 27th at 4:00 pm at

Abyssinian Baptist Church
    132 Odell Clark Place
    New York, NY 10030

For more info call [[212) 579-0222

Quote Originally Posted by StuBass1 View Post

Funeral services for Nick Ashford will be held Saturday, August 27th at 4:00 pm at

132 Odell Clark Place
    New York, NY 10030

Spent a few hours this morning listening to Ashford & Simpson songs. They wrote a lot of egreat songs. RIP, Nick Ashford. You will be missed.

Stu,
    Thanks for posting the information.

dianesfan_1965 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by StuBass1 View Post

132 Odell Clark Place
    New York, NY 10030

Wish I could go. But we're waiting for ol' Miss Irene to hit and I can't leave my babies in P-town w/o Momma calming theys livers.

smark21 Guest
    Last night at Sugar Bar, they paid honor and tribute to Nick Ashford.

http://artsbeat.blogs.nytimes.com/20...-bar/?ref=arts

The Steve Harvey Show did a great tribute to Ashford & Simpson this morning. I was grooving to their "Performance" cd last night. What a great live project. Their contribution to the music world is unmeasurable

ladonna Guest
    An emotional Valerie Simpson, one half of the famous motown songwriting duo Ashford & Simpson leaves the funeral service for Nick Ashford, at the Abyssinian Baptist Church in Harlem, Monday Evening, August 29. The crowd backs off as she comes out of the church. She raises her right hand. People understand and everyone stays silent until she enters her car.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by ladonna; 08-31-2011 at 07:35 AM.