[REMOVE ADS]

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Quote Originally Posted by miss_lish View Post
    I am reluctant to enter into this elementary discussion; however, someone must at least attempt to inject a sense of logic here.

Do y'all really think Oprah literally meant that the Supremes were the first black folks one television? LMAO?! Even though there is a mountain of evidence to contradict a claim as significant as that?!! Lord and have mercy. Instead, and bear with me here, LOL!, do you suppose she could have meant that the Supremes appearance on Ed Sullivan was the first time that blacks appeared on television as harbingers of their own culture? This was the first time a group of black individuals appeared on national television, singing their own music, written by African-American writers, choreographed by African- American choreographers, and being promoted by an African-American owned company. Additionally, The Ed Sullivan Show was an American staple. Appearing on such a program was significant because it meant your appearance was viewed my almost everyone in American. American Bandstand was significant, but it's was marketed to teenagers; Sullivan's audience was the entire country. See the difference?

I wonder why I even took the time to type this because I know it will bear no significance to those who have their own agendas and who are hell bent on finding diversion where none exists. Carry on!
    Well said Miss Lish. You also notice the biggest complainers arethe usual Mary Wilson fanatics? SHE IS NOT GOING TO BE ON OPRAH. The fact that Diana Ross [[an icon) was on the most powerful black woman's show in TV history is killing these haters. Be glad in 2011, you see black people on TV dong being positive and being recognized, period.
    Last edited by Motown_M_1056; 02-28-2011 at 05:54 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Motown_M_1056 View Post
    Well said Miss Lish. You also notice the biggest complainers arethe usual Mary Wilson fanatics? SHE IS NOT GOING TO BE ON OPRAH. The fact that Diana Ross [[an icon) was on the most powerful black woman's show in TV history is killing these haters. Be glad in 2011, you see black people on TV dong being positive and being recognized, period.
    There is nothing fanatical about being factual! Now Diane can go on there every week, it will not improve things for her in terms of her career.
    Last edited by marv2; 02-28-2011 at 06:15 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    There is nothing fanatical about being factual! Now Diane can go on there every week, it will not improve things for her in terms of her career.
    When you've reached ICON status like Diana Ross, you don't have to do much in terms of your career. ICONS can rest or coast on their laurels if they desire to do so. They are always relevant. ICONS have already done much to leave a mark on history. They've changed or impacted culture and influenced people. ICONS like Diana Ross just show up somewhere and most people already know and respect them. ICONS don't need or have to sell or promote anything.
    Last edited by Motown_M_1056; 02-28-2011 at 07:25 PM.

Oprah needs to go back on her diet. She is very selective about history and her diet. Unfortunately she chooses to ignore the healthy benefits of not being into denial.

topdiva1 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Motown_M_1056 View Post
    When you've reached ICON status like Diana Ross, you don't have to do much in terms of your career. ICONS can rest or coast on their laurels if they desire to do so. They are always relevant. ICONS have already done much to leave a mark on history. They've changed or impacted culture and influenced people. ICONS like Diana Ross just show up somewhere and most people already know and respect them. ICONS don't need or have to sell or promote anything.

Ms ross as well as the orginal group The Supremes - all have become ICONS - dead or alive - however - of course there were many Icons still living - and some dead before The SUpremes.

Diana Ross did a simple nice TV appearance on Oprah's last season. THAT IS ALL - I am sure Oprah will have others she loves on before she says her final goodbyes.

That is all this is - no need for a huge nasty debate.

Yeah Marv, but it could have helped a whole generation of young people like my kids,nieces and nephews,cousins know about more than Micheal Jackson,Diana Ross,Stevie Wonder. They know the Supremes,J5,Tempts and Tops but explain Mary Who?,Jackie & Tito Who?

It's Mary Wilson, who history like it or not along with the other Tops & Tempts who sang behind the lead singers are unknown,forgotten and the media and public often follow suit. Be honest set yourself aside from being Mary Wilson's #1 fan. For example we all know Gladys Knight but who outside of this forum can name the 3 Pips who sang behind her for 30 yrs. No snide remarks be honest.

smark21 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by motown4ever View Post
    Yeah Marv, but it could have helped a whole generation of young people like my kids,nieces and nephews,cousins know about more than Micheal Jackson,Diana Ross,Stevie Wonder. They know the Supremes,J5,Tempts and Tops but explain Mary Who?,Jackie & Tito Who?

It's Mary Wilson, who history like it or not along with the other Tops & Tempts who sang behind the lead singers are unknown,forgotten and the media and public often follow suit. Be honest set yourself aside from being Mary Wilson's #1 fan. For example we all know Gladys Knight but who outside of this forum can name the 3 Pips who sang behind her for 30 yrs. No snide remarks be honest.
    I think many fans would like their favorite group to be like the Beatles, a group in which the general pubic knew and remembered the names of all 4 members. But The Beatles are the exception to the rule as their success, impact and influence was stratospheric, a once in a lifetime phenomenon. For all other groups, it's fortunate that the public remembers the name of one member. Ten years ago, most young people into pop music could probably name all the members of NSYNC or Destiny's Child, but nowadays, I'm sure most of them, except their hardcore fans, now ten years older and in a different stage of their lives, can only name the enduring stars that came from the group--Justin Timberlake and Beyonce. That's just how it is.

Quote Originally Posted by smark21 View Post
    I think many fans would like their favorite group to be like the Beatles, a group in which the general pubic knew and remembered the names of all 4 members. But The Beatles are the exception to the rule as their success, impact and influence was stratospheric, a once in a lifetime phenomenon. For all other groups, it's fortunate that the public remembers the name of one member. Ten years ago, most young people into pop music could probably name all the members of NSYNC or Destiny's Child, but nowadays, I'm sure most of them, except their hardcore fans, now ten years older and in a different stage of their lives, can only name the enduring stars that came from the group--Justin Timberlake and Beyonce. That's just how it is.
    I agree, but you see the Supremes [[who are not even my favorite group, that would be the Four Tops just to be clear) were like the Beatles in regards to their initial popularity. I think that yes because they were women and Black that society at large has let them slip down several pegs on the popularity charts, polls or whatever they call what Billboard and Rolling Stones, publications like that put out.

I can only speak from and about personal experience and that would be everyone I knew ,knew the names of the individual Supremes and many also knew the names of the members of the Temptations and Jackson Five,etc. Now if you are asking me if someone outside of say the baby boom generation would know the names, I can't tell you much because that is not my frame of reference.

Quote Originally Posted by motown4ever View Post

I don't know [[who aside from those on this forum can name the three members of the Pips). I do know I am watching a clip of "Mary Wilson" in concert in Kiev from earlier this month now. The members of the Pips did not work outside of the context of "Gladys Knight & the Pips" aside from a very short recording obligation in the late 70's. As far as Tito?