The 20 Grand Story

Advert from November 1960
(courtesy Graham Finch)

The 20 Grand opened it's doors for the first time, way back in 1953.

It's owners, Bill Kabbush and Marty Eisner were a formidable partnership who had a love of Rhythm and Blues. 

A fire destroyed the club in 1958, however, but instead of going out of business they rebuilt the 20 Grand into what would become one of the greatest institutions in the history of popular music.

In this advert it is still known as The New Twenty Grand.

In those days, many clubs would have exotic dancers on their bill. Lottie 'The Body' Graves, was seen as Detroit's answer to Gypsy Rose Lee.

Marvin Gaye and Anna Gordy would hold their wedding reception at the 20 Grand in 1960.

Smokey and Claudette Robinson would also do their courting there.

Notes thanks to David Meikle



This website is dedicated to Detroit, Soul Music, 45 RPM, Northern Soul and the great Motown era of Detroit Musics. It covers Golden World, Tamla, Wheelsville, Robert West, Darrell Banks, Johnnie Mae Matthews, Rose Battiste, Tera Shirma, Fred Bridges, Supremes, Stevie Wonder, Edwin Starr, Funk Brothers, Dennis Coffey, Bob Babbitt, James Jamerson, Twisted Wheel, Wiggan Casino and many more Detroit Souls topics.