[REMOVE ADS]

MLK Day: The Song That Changed The US

A nice article on Stevie Wonder:

"With Happy Birthday, Stevie Wonder successfully campaigned to honour Martin Luther King Jr with a national holiday, in a long career of socially conscious songwriting, writes Diane Bernard."

https://www.bbc.com/culture/article/...changed-the-us

I'm still disappointed that Motown never saw fit to reissue the two Martin Luther King, Jr., Gordy LP releases on CD. Dr. King's message is certainly timely and remains relevant today. Does anyone have any idea why the two Gordy albums have remained tucked away and hidden in the Motown vaults?

Quote Originally Posted by Philles/Motown Gary View Post
    I'm still disappointed that Motown never saw fit to reissue the two Martin Luther King, Jr., Gordy LP releases on CD. Dr. King's message is certainly timely and remains relevant today. Does anyone have any idea why the two Gordy albums have remained tucked away and hidden in the Motown vaults?
    Some of MLK's speeches were released on cd back when Motown first started issuing cds in the 80s.

But like you said, I don't think the individual albums have been released in their original form on cd. Maybe it has something to do with the King family. They may have the rights.

Name:  MLK Motown cd.jpg
Views: 172
Size:  12.2 KB
    Last edited by reese; 01-18-2023 at 09:13 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by reese View Post
    I believe some of MLK's speeches were released on cd back when Motown first started issuing cds in the 80s.

But like you said, I don't think the individual albums have been released in their original form on cd. Maybe it has something to do with the King family. They may have the rights.
    The King family definitely have the rights to the good doctor's name, likeness, words and voice and are hypervigilant about the use of any.

Thanks for the info, Reese and Sansradio. I've noticed on eBay that the original Gordy LPs have been reissued at least once, but they're on the new Gordy label -- purple with the yellow arrow. If I were to invest in the two LPs, I would want the original Gordy label -- purple with the yellow "....Grooves That Count" logo.

Quote Originally Posted by Philles/Motown Gary View Post
    Thanks for the info, Reese and Sansradio. I've noticed on eBay that the original Gordy LPs have been reissued at least once, but they're on the new Gordy label -- purple with the yellow arrow. If I were to invest in the two LPs, I would want the original Gordy label -- purple with the yellow "....Grooves That Count" logo.
    A few years back, I bought "The Great March..." albums off eBay but as you mentioned, they are reissues with the later Gordy label. I kicked myself because I had the opportunity to buy them at my local record store back in the late 70s/early 80s and for a considerably lower price but always passed them by.

We've all been there and done that, Reese. You're not alone. Back around 1989, when Diana's "Workin' Overtime" CD was released, friends [[Diana fans) warned me, "Save your money. It's horrible!" I foolishly took their advice. Then, about a year or two later, I felt guilty for not buying it. I went straight to the store to rectify it -- only to discover that "Workin' OT" had been deleted by Motown and was no longer available. Not one to take no for an answer -- especially when it comes to Motown releases, I contacted a CD search service in Goldmine magazine where, for $40, they found a new sealed copy of "WO" for me. My friends were right -- I hated it -- but at least I no longer felt guilty. What I DID feel was annoyed and foolish. Soon after, I made a trip to the mall where Camelot Music had a close-out CD bin where I found a sealed copy of -- you guessed it -- "Workin' OT" for a mere couple of bucks! Talk about wanting to kick myself in the butt! It was ridiculous!
    Last edited by Philles/Motown Gary; 01-19-2023 at 07:15 AM.