[REMOVE ADS]

Bobby Taylor and The Vancouvers

There have been numerous discussions regarding Bobby Taylor and the Vancouvers etc on the forum. I haven't yet seen one which addresses my query. When I listen to the album [[ first time on release in the 60s, ) it didn't sound like the normal well produced Motown album. It was rougher and less embellished, maybe rawer. Initially I was disappointed because it didn't have the Motown production values. My query: was this because Motoen allowed the group to record their own sessions as opposed to Motown bringing in their own musicians etc? I love this album but it is the rawness which appeals. Does this resonate with anybody else out there ? Mike

Yes..half the album is The Vancouvers on their own...like a covers band. The organ is prominent on these tunes...
    Others like Does your mama know about me, Malinda, I am your man are regular Motown productions.
    I am not mad keen on the "Vancouvers" covers.
    The "Bobby Taylor " led tracks are great.
    IMHO

Quote Originally Posted by snakepit View Post
    Yes..half the album is The Vancouvers on their own...like a covers band. The organ is prominent on these tunes...
    Others like Does your mama know about me, Malinda, I am your man are regular Motown productions.
    I am not mad keen on the "Vancouvers" covers.
    The "Bobby Taylor " led tracks are great.
    IMHO
    A lot of the songs are attributed to Vancouvers and some to Bobby Taylor but they seem to all be used as Bobby Taylor and the Vancouvers - even tracks from Bobby's solo LP

The track "I am your man" uses the same track as Edwin Starr's version....probably with vocals by The Originals. This is an example of tracks credited to BT & TV..
    The LP seems to be a mixture of BT& TV [[ Produced by BG) and "Motown" tracks produced by A&S, Smokey

Quote Originally Posted by snakepit View Post
    The track "I am your man" uses the same track as Edwin Starr's version....probably with vocals by The Originals. This is an example of tracks credited to BT & TV..
    The LP seems to be a mixture of BT& TV [[ Produced by BG) and "Motown" tracks produced by A&S, Smokey

One of my favourite all time Motown albums has always been Taylor Made Soul.

It was with great enthusiasm and pleasure that I became involved with producing the double Cd Anthology set on Bobby a few years ago now.

And a very good CD it was too.

I think I'm correct in saying that Bobby Taylor appeared in concerts billed as BT & The Vancouvers...when in fact the 'backing' group were The.Originals.

^^^When they appeared in the UK as unbillled support for Chris Clark, they were introduced just as the Vancouvers, but it was Bobby Taylor and the group, not the Originals.

Were the Originals also an instrumental band? Never knew that.

No...just vocalists.
    BT must have had a group backing him.

Quote Originally Posted by 144man View Post
    ^^^When they appeared in the UK as unbillled support for Chris Clark, they were introduced just as the Vancouvers, but it was Bobby Taylor and the group, not the Originals.
    What year was this? Does anyone recall when [[month/year) that the Vancouvers were fired by Motown for showing up late for a Chris Clark concert?

Quote Originally Posted by SatansBlues View Post
    What year was this? Does anyone recall when [[month/year) that the Vancouvers were fired by Motown for showing up late for a Chris Clark concert?
    It was at the Saville Theatre, London, in November 1967 that I saw them. Tommy Chong was definitely on stage as a group member in that performance.

It was at the Saville Theatre, London, in November 1967 that I saw them. Tommy Chong was definitely on stage as a group member in that performance.
    Were they officially with Motown in November '67? Their first single didn't come out until a few months later.

Quote Originally Posted by SatansBlues View Post
    Were they officially with Motown in November '67? Their first single didn't come out until a few months later.
    I'd never even heard of them before the MC introduced them. I assume they were already signed to Motown as they performed "Fading Away" and "It's Growing".

I'd never even heard of them before the MC introduced them. I assume they were already signed to Motown as they performed "Fading Away" and "It's Growing".
    Interesting. The group didn't record both those songs until early '68. But you have great recall. Do you recall what Chris Clark performed? And was it just CC and BT&TV?

EDIT: Interesting fact CC and The Vancouvers began recording together in August 1967! Their tracks are on Unreleased Motown 1967.
    Last edited by SatansBlues; 11-17-2020 at 09:11 PM.

It was Brian Epstein's idea to have a series of Soul shows on a Sunday.
    Felice Taylor was on the same bill. She had to make do with a substandard British band, and spent a lot of time anxiously looking behind her to ascertain what they were doing.
    I can't remember if CC and BT&TV had their own band with them. Chris Clark performed "Got to Get You Into My Life", which didn't go down too well with the audience.
    Last edited by 144man; 11-18-2020 at 05:55 PM. Reason: correction to spelling

It was Brian Epstein's idea to have a series of Soul shows on a Sunday.
    Felice Taylor was on the same bill. She had to make do with a substandard British band, and spent a lot of time anxiously looking behind her to ascertain what they were doing.
    I can't remember if CC and BT&TV had their own band with them. Chris Clark performed "Got to Get You Into My Life", which didn't go down to well with the audience.
    Oh wow. What a great memory.

SB: just looked up my notes from that Saville Theatre show. BT&V [[who were introduced by that full name, not just the Vancouvers) performed "All I Need," "Soul Man" and "[[I Wanna) Testify," while CC did "Love's Gone Bad," "I Want To Go Back There Again," "All I Could Do Is Cry," "From Head To Toe," "Do Right Baby, Do Right" and, yes, "Got To Get You Into My Life." Music director was Gene Kee.

Quote Originally Posted by Clifton Miller View Post
    SB: just looked up my notes from that Saville Theatre show. BT&V [[who were introduced by that full name, not just the Vancouvers) performed "All I Need," "Soul Man" and "[[I Wanna) Testify," while CC did "Love's Gone Bad," "I Want To Go Back There Again," "All I Could Do Is Cry," "From Head To Toe," "Do Right Baby, Do Right" and, yes, "Got To Get You Into My Life." Music director was Gene Kee.
    What a great set list, especially CC's. I would love to hear that concert. Thanks for sharing their set lists.
    Last edited by SatansBlues; 11-21-2020 at 07:05 PM.

They definitely did "Fading Away". I'll have to see if I can find my notes.

I've found my official "Sundays at the Saville" programme. It's a cheap affair with no notes and four black & white photos of the performers*.

The programme gives the date as Sunday 26th November 1967 and the compere as Peter Stringfellow.
    The running order was:

The Tangerine Peel
    Gepy & Gepy
    Chris Clark*
    Felice Taylor*
    -
    interval
    -
    Sounds Incorporated*
    Eddie Floyd*

There is no mention of Bobby Taylor & the Vancouvers at all.
    There is an advert on the back page for the next concert on 3rd December with Joe Tex & his band and Gladys Knight & the Pips.

Sad to say, I don't remember a thing about Eddie Floyd's performance.