[REMOVE ADS]

Gladys Knight -"Choice of Colors" [[Curtis Mayfield)

This was a favorite of mine back in the 90s:

Wow! Never knew Gladys did this. What an awesome track. I always liked this song by The Impressions.

Love this track by the EMPRESS !....

Quote Originally Posted by nathanj06 View Post
    Wow! Never knew Gladys did this. What an awesome track. I always liked this song by The Impressions.
    When I first heard it, I got chills and maybe a little bit emotional. The song originally came out by the Impressions when I was a kid and everyone seemed to still have a lot of hope. I was saddened by the passing of Curtis Mayfield. This recording was released as a tribute to him after he had died. The way Gladys sings/narrates it is just excellent in my opinion.

Great song. Gladys can do no wrong. My favorite version is by original Detroit soul sister, Della Reese.

Such a great song. Dan, thanks for posting Della's version. I haven't listened to the album in a long while but Della was an amazing singer.

Now here's the tribute that Curtis Mayfield was able to see and hear while he was still here with us:

Thanks to all for posting the videos. I would have never known of "Colors" had Marv not brought it up. I had to download it and is now in my Gladys Knight & The Pips playlist. That video performance was amazing. It does have a little late 80s edge to it which is even better. Remember Love Overboard? Oh yeah...

Here's Gladys in a rare "Girl Group" situation and "Love Overboard"!

I love the Curtis Mayfield tribute. I've never seen that before. I think Gladys' recording of "The Makings of You" is transcendant. I saw her a few years ago at the Hollywood Bowl on a special Black Movie program and she performed "Make Yours A Happy Home" and got a rousing reception. The "Claudine" soundtrack is a cherished piece of Soul heritage.

Quote Originally Posted by Guy View Post
    I love the Curtis Mayfield tribute. I've never seen that before. I think Gladys' recording of "The Makings of You" is transcendant. I saw her a few years ago at the Hollywood Bowl on a special Black Movie program and she performed "Make Yours A Happy Home" and got a rousing reception. The "Claudine" soundtrack is a cherished piece of Soul heritage.
    Oh, yes! The entire 'Claudine' st is greatness.