[REMOVE ADS]

Marvin Gaye - I Wish I Didn't Love You So

This has always been my favorite from "Vulnerable". His unique overdubbing technique that was a staple in his style is at an all time high here. Thank God he stumbled upon it by mistake.

Now if only Harry Weinger could find someone to help him assemble every version of every song from the vaults. Every vocal Marvin laid down from '67 to '77 is very much alive. The project would be exhausting, but worth it for the fans that would shell out the money for it. Easily four to five discs and probably the most informative booklet ever.

I agree. Marvin was the vocal master of his time. I swear his ballads collection could be five to six discs EASY.

I'm sure there are more The Ballads/Vulnerable sessions too [[like Walkin' in the Rain and Just Like, well I think, those were leftovers from The Ballads lol?) laying around. I love his '60s ballads but some of them, he seemed to be reading from the lyric sheet. The '70s ballads, he's singing from his heart. You can easily tell the difference.

Quote Originally Posted by midnightman View Post
    I agree. Marvin was the vocal master of his time. I swear his ballads collection could be five to six discs EASY.

I'm sure there are more The Ballads/Vulnerable sessions too [[like Walkin' in the Rain and Just Like, well I think, those were leftovers from The Ballads lol?) laying around. I love his '60s ballads but some of them, he seemed to be reading from the lyric sheet. The '70s ballads, he's singing from his heart. You can easily tell the difference.
    You can definitely hear how he grew as a vocalist as the years went by. As for the tunes that you mentioned are concerned I want to say that those may be owned by Universal,but maybe Sony. He recorded many tunes during the Motown era and didn't turn the masters in like "Ain't It Funny". I think a few of those 70's ballads may have been in that cache that he'd given to his mother for safekeeping. Larkin Arnold then convinced her to turn them over to him. Caused problems as Motown sued to gain access to what was really theirs,but couldn't prove the facts. Would be great to have though.

Ah see, I didn't know that part about his mama keeping some of those songs for safekeeping. No wonder Larkin got them for the posthumous recordings.

Ah see, I didn't know that part about his mama keeping some of those songs for safekeeping. No wonder Larkin got them for the posthumous recordings.
    Oh yeah. If you have a copy of "Dream Of A Lifetime", read the inner sleeve. Larkin describes how they met and how his signing to Columbia happened. He mentions briefly that Marvin told him about the masters he was holding. Larkin knew where to go and get them. What baffles me though is that Sony shouldn't own those,the Gaye family should. But due to Mother Gaye not having legal representation or having little knowledge of the music business he worked her. He was supposed to licence or purchase those masters from her by it being personal property. She didn't know that and as a result the family gets paid royalties on something that should've been returned to them. Sony's possessions now,won't be getting those back.

Quote Originally Posted by Quinn View Post
    Oh yeah. If you have a copy of "Dream Of A Lifetime", read the inner sleeve. Larkin describes how they met and how his signing to Columbia happened. He mentions briefly that Marvin told him about the masters he was holding. Larkin knew where to go and get them. What baffles me though is that Sony shouldn't own those,the Gaye family should. But due to Mother Gaye not having legal representation or having little knowledge of the music business he worked her. He was supposed to licence or purchase those masters from her by it being personal property. She didn't know that and as a result the family gets paid royalties on something that should've been returned to them. Sony's possessions now,won't be getting those back.
    I forgot all about this lol

Marvin had that problem too. And that's one reason he didn't write a will. He had horrible business acumen and I wished someone who really cared for him worked it out that his children would be secured for the rest of their lives in case something happened to him.

He was probably too clinically depressed to think about stuff like that. It's amazing his estate managed to work out the mess he left behind at all. But I agree, all that unreleased music should definitely be in the Gay/Gaye family's controls.

I forgot all about this lol

Marvin had that problem too. And that's one reason he didn't write a will. He had horrible business acumen and I wished someone who really cared for him worked it out that his children would be secured for the rest of their lives in case something happened to him.

He was probably too clinically depressed to think about stuff like that. It's amazing his estate managed to work out the mess he left behind at all. But I agree, all that unreleased music should definitely be in the Gay/Gaye family's controls.
    Marvin had bad business acumen because he wanted to be that way. He had many people around who tried to help especially his lawyer Curtis Shaw. He was responsible for the divorce settlement with Anna Gordy. Larkin Arnold helped,but nearly backed out due to Marvin's lack of punctuality. He screwed with Jan's life, this man couldn't be helped. He was an Aries,don't forget that. I believe his family is well financially as I haven't heard about financial strain. His catalogue is doing what it should.

Ultimately his oldest son Marvin III and a trusted attorney cleaned up the mess. Gordon Banks his guitarist and then brother in law has a few things they worked on together. He won't release the tracks out of respect.

^ That is true! Marvin was very well known for his stubbornness!