[REMOVE ADS]

The legendary Brenda Holloway and Kim Weston interviewed in 1998

Went to the all nighter to see the 2 singers.
    Got Brenda to sign my Tamla tee shirt, now proudly hung up in my den.
    A great night...they used the original Motown backing tracks on some numbers.

Quote Originally Posted by snakepit View Post
    Went to the all nighter to see the 2 singers.
    Got Brenda to sign my Tamla tee shirt, now proudly hung up in my den.
    A great night...they used the original Motown backing tracks on some numbers.
    That sounds great. I like it when they use the original backing tracks if they are performing a smaller venue and allowing for dancing. I wished we had promoters here in the States that would bring these great ladies back to us to perform.

I think the DJ who compiled the 2 Motown/ Northern Soul CDs for Debutante had access to Motown tracks. He had a hand in this tour I'm sure.

I think the DJ who compiled the 2 Motown/ Northern Soul CDs for Debutante had access to Motown tracks. He had a hand in this tour I'm sure.
    Chris King I believe.

Going slightly off topic, I'm sure theboyfromxtown mentioned a while back that during that project, he didn't endear himself to Harry Weinger, [[and Universal Music's reissue department), after their kind decision to let him work on the above projects!

Anyway, thanks marv for posting that interview.

Cheers

Paul

Yes Chris King is correct.
    Can't believe how the years have flown...distinctly remember leaving my wife in the pub with some friends who couldn't understand why I was going to see them at 3am.

Well Brenda asked a very pertinent question in regards to why is it that in the U.K., they remember and still appreciate artists that were once very popular. In the U.S. they get cast aside.

Quote Originally Posted by bradburger View Post
    Chris King I believe.

Going slightly off topic, I'm sure theboyfromxtown mentioned a while back that during that project, he didn't endear himself to Harry Weinger, [[and Universal Music's reissue department), after their kind decision to let him work on the above projects!

Anyway, thanks marv for posting that interview.

Cheers

Paul
    You are most welcome Paul. I really enjoyed it too.

Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    Well Brenda asked a very pertinent question in regards to why is it that in the U.K., they remember and still appreciate artists that were once very popular. In the U.S. they get cast aside.
    The music we grew up with [[ talking soul fans here) was never associated with mass popularity. The artists whose records we loved were in the main unknown to us so fame, or lack of it, was not an issue.

The music we grew up with [[ talking soul fans here) was never associated with mass popularity. The artists whose records we loved were in the main unknown to us so fame, or lack of it, was not an issue.
    I see. It was the reverse here. Both Kim and Brenda were mainstream in the States back in the 60s. We had very popular "Top 40" radio stations, along with the Soul music stations and other local radio stations.

The Temptations appeared on the 1965 TV show to promote the launch of Tamla Motown in the UK.
    I don't think I saw them on UK TV until 1971 ..."I can't get next to you" .
    I could be wrong of course, but you had to be a Motown fan to know the group.
    Discos [[ with a soul inclination) in the late 60s played Motown and Stax/Atlantic artists but also Major Lance, Olympics, Jackie Lee, Doris Troy, Jackie Wilson , Chuck Jackson and many more..but you had to be on that scene to hear this stuff.

It's a shame they both ended up being "ladies in waiting" at Hitsville.
    With the right material, production and promotion, both could have been major stars there. It certainly wasn't for lack of talent.

The Temptations appeared on the 1965 TV show to promote the launch of Tamla Motown in the UK.
    I don't think I saw them on UK TV until 1971 ..."I can't get next to you" .
    I could be wrong of course, but you had to be a Motown fan to know the group.
    Discos [[ with a soul inclination) in the late 60s played Motown and Stax/Atlantic artists but also Major Lance, Olympics, Jackie Lee, Doris Troy, Jackie Wilson , Chuck Jackson and many more..but you had to be on that scene to hear this stuff.
    Well of course we saw them more often here and perhaps even more than the rest of the country being from Detroit. With just about every release they would make a television appearance. I wasn't old enough to got to clubs/Discos in the 60s, but I sure went in the late 70s LOl! All of those other artists you mentioned are favorites of mine as well.

Quote Originally Posted by BigAl View Post
    It's a shame they both ended up being "ladies in waiting" at Hitsville.
    With the right material, production and promotion, both could have been major stars there. It certainly wasn't for lack of talent.
    BigAl, that is probably the best way to put it. With their vocal talents, poise, personalities and looks, they should have been huge in their own rights. They each should have been on the level of a say, Dionne Warwick or someone of that caliber. Motown, at least they way it's been explained, just did not have the resources to devote to all of their very talented acts.

Thanks Marv. Great to hear that Interview with these two great ladies!!

Quote Originally Posted by luke View Post
    Thanks Marv. Great to hear that Interview with these two great ladies!!
    You are always most welcome Luke. I am glad you enjoyed it too. I wished we had a more recent interview of the ladies. This one was just so well done and the music he used was superb!

Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    You are always most welcome Luke. I am glad you enjoyed it too. I wished we had a more recent interview of the ladies. This one was just so well done and the music he used was superb!
    Very refreshing to hear this interview. Great to expand Motown knowledge beyond the top tier groups. No less talented than their label mates. Thanks again.

Quote Originally Posted by detmotownguy View Post
    Very refreshing to hear this interview. Great to expand Motown knowledge beyond the top tier groups. No less talented than their label mates. Thanks again.
    Exactly! These women were/are as talented as any out there and under different circumstances, they would have been across the board superstars. All anyone has to do is listen to them sing.