[REMOVE ADS]

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Mary, Martha & Chubby not selling at 80% Off

This is crazy, ticket resellers now have third row seats at $30 and still can’t move! Is there a measles sign on this building? There must be another fans within 100 miles or so, with prices this cheap, it would be a bargain even if you had to take the train. How can we expect to be able to call these people legends when a fine bill like this sits nearly empty? Promoters seem to have given up trying to discount the seats as the last few promotions seemed to have done nothing. Hopefully it won’t get cancelled, but it breaks my heart that they will walk out to a venue that’s only 10% sold. C’mon y’all - make some calls - get those seats filled!

Quote Originally Posted by TheMotownManiac View Post
    This is crazy, ticket resellers now have third row seats at $30 and still can’t move! Is there a measles sign on this building? There must be another fans within 100 miles or so, with prices this cheap, it would be a bargain even if you had to take the train. How can we expect to be able to call these people legends when a fine bill like this sits nearly empty? Promoters seem to have given up trying to discount the seats as the last few promotions seemed to have done nothing. Hopefully it won’t get cancelled, but it breaks my heart that they will walk out to a venue that’s only 10% sold. C’mon y’all - make some calls - get those seats filled!
    Unfortunately your fan base is severely diminshed

Quote Originally Posted by TheMotownManiac View Post
    What might help is telling us where and when this is.

Quote Originally Posted by thommg View Post
    What might help is telling us where and when this is.
    The NYCB Theatre at Westbury, NY.

The show is this Friday at Westbury Music Fair [[or whatever its current name is). It is an excellent venue. I have seen many seventies soul groups there, the Seventies Supremes, Johnny Mathis, all the Motown groups, and Mary Wilson.

https://www.ticketmaster.com/mary-wi...st/141/2427916

And according to the seating chart, it looks like barely 100 tickets have been sold.

https://concerts1.livenation.com/eve...ab=efeat5787v1

When you click away from the seating chart above, a pop up appears saying something like to buy tickets quickly because they are selling fast.

Westbury is in Marv's neighborhood and he is a Mary fan. Perhaps he can shed some light on this. The venue isnt huge and every seat is good. Most every time that I have been there, just about all the seat were filled

Have car will travel. I saw mary snd martha at bbking last year. Diana at st geiorge theater in 2016. Going to see katherines marvelettes at the beekman in june. If t show is on sat i msy get a ride. Otherwise forget lirr

OUCH! That's definitely not good...

Martha and Chubby usually draw; it's maybe just a bad venue match.

mary had top billing ---- HUGE mistake.

Plus, nowhere in the ads does it promise that she will not sing Red Hot. Thus, an empty house.

Someone's is not a mary wilson fan not nice

Quote Originally Posted by Circa 1824 View Post
    mary had top billing ---- HUGE mistake.
    Perhaps there is some prejudice in that statement, but also a little bit of truth. I did see some sites listing the tickets with just Mary Wilson's name. You had to click further to see Martha and Chubby were also on the bill. And after decades of using the Supremes' name in her solo billing, and doing thousands of interviews soley because the interviewer wanted to talk about the Supremes or Diana, most people do not know who the solo Mary is.

But back to the ticket sales. They changed their pricing again and now all tickets are $39 to $49. And it looks like the first five or six rows are now now filled. So I imagine the show will go on tonight. But it is odd that even at these prices, the show is not selling even with three good performers.

Paul Anka, whose career goes back even further that Chubby,Mary and Martha is appearing there tomorrow, tickets are selling at up to two hundred dollars and most seats are sold.

Poor sales can not be blamed on location or venue. And once in the theatre, all seats have a good view of the stage.

Even the do-wop show on April 29th has more sold seats than tonight's show. It is odd.

https://www.ticketmaster.com/NYCB-Th...bury/venue/141

Is it even worth it for the artists to perform? Splitting the cut from the few tickets sold at 39 dollars and then having to pay their back up and band leaves them probably performing at a loss. Hopefully, their contracts give them a minimumn guarantee and the theatre or promoter takes the loss and not the artist.

Mary’s show at Ridgefield Ct theater was packed but I’m not blaming Martha and Chubby for this NY show! All kinds of variables.
    Last edited by luke; 04-20-2018 at 12:07 PM.

how & where was it advertised? Like I said Martha & Mary sold out the 2,500.seat Peabody Auditorium in Daytona Beach with very little advertising & no advertising in the Orlando area.

Quote Originally Posted by milven View Post
    Perhaps there is some prejudice in that statement, but also a little bit of truth. I did see some sites listing the tickets with just Mary Wilson's name. You had to click further to see Martha and Chubby were also on the bill. And after decades of using the Supremes' name in her solo billing, and doing thousands of interviews soley because the interviewer wanted to talk about the Supremes or Diana, most people do not know who the solo Mary is.

But back to the ticket sales. They changed their pricing again and now all tickets are $39 to $49. And it looks like the first five or six rows are now now filled. So I imagine the show will go on tonight. But it is odd that even at these prices, the show is not selling even with three good performers.

Paul Anka, whose career goes back even further that Chubby,Mary and Martha is appearing there tomorrow, tickets are selling at up to two hundred dollars and most seats are sold.

Poor sales can not be blamed on location or venue. And once in the theatre, all seats have a good view of the stage.

Even the do-wop show on April 29th has more sold seats than tonight's show. It is odd.

https://www.ticketmaster.com/NYCB-Th...bury/venue/141

Is it even worth it for the artists to perform? Splitting the cut from the few tickets sold at 39 dollars and then having to pay their back up and band leaves them probably performing at a loss. Hopefully, their contracts give them a minimumn guarantee and the theatre or promoter takes the loss and not the artist.
    Why did it take long for the tickets to be sold? Something is funky about that.

Something isn’t quite right here

There are 3 performers here with a history. And Martha and Chubby were the voices on some big hits

They are old and the market isn’t what it was but I’d go if I were there

The advertising I saw showed the headliner as Martha Reeves; if sales were so poor, maybe they changed it up

Quote Originally Posted by jobeterob View Post
    Something isn’t quite right here

There are 3 performers here with a history. And Martha and Chubby were the voices on some big hits

They are old and the market isn’t what it was but I’d go if I were there

The advertising I saw showed the headliner as Martha Reeves; if sales were so poor, maybe they changed it up
    The event was listed as 'Golden Voices' or some-such in some places - that sure does not identify the performers. Could be that the other performers at the venue [[like Anka) took up sales from the same audience base.

Quote Originally Posted by PeaceNHarmony View Post
    The event was listed as 'Golden Voices' or some-such in some places - that sure does not identify the performers. Could be that the other performers at the venue [[like Anka) took up sales from the same audience base.
    If Marv and Luke made a date out of this and each took 5 other couples, that would move some seats for there idol Ms Wilson.

Quote Originally Posted by PeaceNHarmony View Post
    WOW. Someone needs to get fired... seriously.

You know gull-dern well that house was heavily papered with free tickets.

Is this show on Friday or is it over?

I’ve heard Marv doesn’t resemble the picture from the 80s and Luke might be disappointed

Maybe someone selling this show at least needs a rethink

Mary Wilson, Chubby Checker & Martha Reeves
    Date
    Fri 4/20 @ 8pm
    Venue
    NYCB Theatre at Westbury
    Westbury, NY

Who went recap plesse

Agreed! Show us the receipts!

Honest to God, that is the worst karaoke I have ever heard. She seriously needs to quit.

She’s getting old; they weren’t her songs so you can’t expect much like the originals

Well, you gotta say, Mary still tries. All those empty seats and unenthusiastic people, she kept going

Quote Originally Posted by Circa 1824 View Post
    Honest to God, that is the worst karaoke I have ever heard. She seriously needs to quit.
    If you think Mary is that bad, I can't imagine what you think of Martha.

Quote Originally Posted by bradsupremes View Post
    Sadly that’s a fair comment

But there are other reasons to go to see performers like these

How well preserved is Chubby’s voice?

Slightly off topic, but some years ago a friend got me a ticket to see the jazz singer Annie Ross at a small London venue. There were 5 of us on the audience in total!
    We stuck the whole show out but it was one of the most embarrassing things I've ever witnessed.
    Sometimes you just need to know when to stop.

Sadly that's awful. I'm surprised at how amateurish the entire look and sound is. Some of the NJ beach towns near me have free, afternoon park concerts featuring acts like the 1910 Fruitgum Company: the end result is pretty much like this. Who are the fat white people walking around on stage?

I watched Martha clips from the same date - Martha sounds like Martha!

Quote Originally Posted by lakedistrictlad1 View Post
    Slightly off topic, but some years ago a friend got me a ticket to see the jazz singer Annie Ross at a small London venue. There were 5 of us on the audience in total!
    We stuck the whole show out but it was one of the most embarrassing things I've ever witnessed.
    Sometimes you just need to know when to stop.
    Decades ago I recall one of the golden-age screen stars saying [[or being said about ...) 'When 'ya can't draw flies it's time to stop sellin' fruit".

Martha sounds like something you would hear from someone lying in a casket.

It is a pea-pickin' pity these ladies did not save for their old age, and avoid having to "sing" to pay the mortgage despite how horrible it might sound.

Chubby Checker sounds good. I could watch the entire YouTube clips of Chubby.

There are many clips on YouTube of this performance. In some of them, Mary seems off, confused and not full of her usual stamina. Could she have been ill? Or simply disapointed about the turnout and not giving it her all? She was performing to a lot of empty seats, even up front. And those that were there were not that enthusiastic and seemed to be sitting on their hands.

In this clip, someone noticed that something was wrong and handed her a bottle of water. But she couldn't open it and she handed it to another audience member who opened it and gave it back to her. Maybe she just wasn't feeling well that night

To me, the best part of this show was Pernell. He was happy, smiling, and gave the performance and the moves his all. In fact, he reminded me of Mary when she was in the Supremes.

Everything about the promotion of this concert seems to have been wrong. Evidently they were hoping for a huge turnout and tickets were available for the whole theatre. But the theatre can be configured to accomodate smaller audiences. This is theatre in the round with a revolving stage. For smaller audiences. The stage does not rotate and one half of the circular theatre is roped off and the top tier of seats is also roped off.

Something was wrong here. Just cant figure out what it was. Promotion? Mary ill? Mary disapoointed about low turn out? Don't know. But this is not Mary's best.

I hope that the next time Mary is in NY Metro area, she performs at a smalll intimate place like 54 Below and leaves the Supremes stuff alone and does a Mary show.

Someone should have been told Mary to give up the Supremes stuff. It doesn't suit her voice at all. Mary is still in top shape vocally. She should be doing songs that show this off.

That's disappointing to see Mary like that...
    I agree with letting the Supremes stuff go.

Quote Originally Posted by midnightman View Post
    That's disappointing to see Mary like that...
    I agree with letting the Supremes stuff go.
    I agree. It is very sad to hear these great songs being butchered in this way. Truly awful.

There are many clips on YouTube of this performance. In some of them, Mary seems off, confused and not full of her usual stamina. Could she have been ill? Or simply disapointed about the turnout and not giving it her all? She was performing to a lot of empty seats, even up front. And those that were there were not that enthusiastic and seemed to be sitting on their hands.

In this clip, someone noticed that something was wrong and handed her a bottle of water. But she couldn't open it and she handed it to another audience member who opened it and gave it back to her. Maybe she just wasn't feeling well that night

To me, the best part of this show was Pernell. He was happy, smiling, and gave the performance and the moves his all. In fact, he reminded me of Mary when she was in the Supremes.

Everything about the promotion of this concert seems to have been wrong. Evidently they were hoping for a huge turnout and tickets were available for the whole theatre. But the theatre can be configured to accomodate smaller audiences. This is theatre in the round with a revolving stage. For smaller audiences. The stage does not rotate and one half of the circular theatre is roped off and the top tier of seats is also roped off.

Something was wrong here. Just cant figure out what it was. Promotion? Mary ill? Mary disapoointed about low turn out? Don't know. But this is not Mary's best.

I hope that the next time Mary is in NY Metro area, she performs at a smalll intimate place like 54 Below and leaves the Supremes stuff alone and does a Mary show.
    She was fighting a head cold.

Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    I'm just so sure she told you that Marv

The water didn't help the singing

Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    This show was in your neighborhood. Were you able to attend the show?

This show was in your neighborhood. Were you able to attend the show?
    He rarely attends Marys shows.

Quote Originally Posted by bayoumotownman View Post
    i'm just so sure she told you that marv
    lololololololol

You'd think a "real fan" would attend the shows, rather than act like they know what was going on. <_<

You'd think a "real fan" would attend the shows, rather than act like they know what was going on. <_<
    Wouldnt you though.

Quote Originally Posted by Roberta75 View Post
    Wouldnt you though.
    Yeah. If my favorite act was at a venue closed to me, I'd make sure to buy tickets! Don't make sense to comment like you're a fan and not come see the show unless you can't do it because you're financially underwater.

Too bad the turnout at Westbury was low. I just saw Martha and Mary this afternoon and the show was great.

Martha did the usual hits, as well as pulling out an unexpected A LOVE LIKE YOURS [[DON'T COME KNOCKING EVERY DAY). Mary did the usual hits as well, plus a nice DON'T KNOW WHY and her finale, IMAGINE. I didn't notice any trouble on her part, as noted above, so I gather she is over her cold. She sounded great and as always, I truly feel that videos don't do her justice. I've never been disappointed when I see her live.

How many shows did they do? Two?

Guessing Mary wasn't sick after all if she turned out fine when you saw her, Reese... lol

How many shows did they do? Two?

Guessing Mary wasn't sick after all if she turned out fine when you saw her, Reese... lol
    They did one afternoon show.