[REMOVE ADS]

As CDs die, so does the way we consume music!

Fascinating read Bill. Thanks for sharing.

And at the end of the article this advert popped up...

Name:  A6A27292-B1B5-486A-ACCB-9119C2813528.jpg
Views: 601
Size:  8.3 KB
    Last edited by TomatoTom123; 03-04-2018 at 09:11 PM.

Everyone I know streams up music, and Netflixes / Hulus their "TV"

I still do Direct TV, buy DVDs, sometimes even Blu-Ray / DVD deluxe packs, even though I do not own a Blu-Ray player, and I still buy probably about 2-3 dozen CDs a year, through Amazon. I loathe streaming, as well as I am a listener / collector / owner, for that feeling of ownership, and actually enjoying what I buy.

However, CDs-wise, as long as ACE / KENT UK remains unaffected, in selling top quality reissues of oldies - as I've long hated today's music, you guys will never hear about me helping the CD sales of Ariana Grande or Justin Timberlake, if today's retail believes in them for CD sales = CD existence - I too will remain unaffected.

The Detroit News article really struck home. I have been a collector of soul vinyl, a lot of 45s but far far more albums for decades, then cassettes and finally CDs. A lifetime of collecting has created major physical storage requirements, temperature and humidity stable environments, not to mention the challenges of locating and retrieving the tracks that I want to hear at any particular time. Now I find myself with a vast collection of soul that I can't easily access. I have made some serious attempts to rip vinyl and cassette, but given this is a real time process plus editing, tagging, artwork etc, I'll never get anywhere near completing anything other than a tiny bit of my collection. [[Not to mention the bone crushing frustrations I suffered when I in error allowed iTunes access to my mp3s which it then retagged, replaced artwork etc).

I have been a very reluctant and late adopter of streaming via Amazon and Spotify. However, in tandem with bluetooth streaming in my cars, in every room in the house, high quality portable streaming speakers whilst away from home, it has now become so easy and efficient to get to hear stuff on demand that I am almost at an end of listening to my CDs, vinyl and cassettes. A lifetime of investment has been rendered almost irrelevant by the advent of streaming. I acknowledge the quality compromises of streaming, but I also don't have skipping / scratching etc, nor do I have to get up every 25 minutes to turn over an album.

The reality is that much of my collection is not available on streaming, and never will be, but there is still a massive amount available and only a certain amount of time to listen to it.

Sadly, I am going to have to either sell what I have, or accept at some time it will be disposed of dispassionately by someone who places no value on the collection.

And that folks, is what I guess they mean by progress

Interesting stuff.

I do indeed buy CDs, but, like Mike, barely ever listen to them. I might play them once after buying [[share the music with the family ), although I've stopped doing that really too. Then, after downloading the tracks to the computer and iPod, they just go in the CD rack [[which is now overfull!) and that's it.

I only buy CDs if it's cheaper than downloading [[like a multi-CD set) or if it's not available digitally [[like most ACE releases). I know it’s bad, but I barely read the liner notes either. And of course it's so much easier to use the iPod than going through the CDs and finding the song/album/artist I want! Also, an iPod can play both through speakers [[like a CD player) and through headphones.

However, like Ngroove, I still like to own my music, which is why I cannot embrace streaming!!!!! I understand why many do though.

So, as for the decline of CDs, I'm not sure what I think!

I'm sure, it's only an "American" opinion.

But while the news is centering on Best Buys no longer doing CDs, I feel like a little recollection, of what once was.

I remember when people used to say "Best Buy has every singer". There used to been multiple rows, of CDs of singers A-Z. I once found Ultimate Collections of Eddie Kendricks, David Ruffin, and Mary Wells there. I once bought a Stevie Wonder Number Ones and an Essential Michael Jackson there.

Then, a few years ago, it shrunk down, to mostly budget CDs, of top singers who they believed could still sell. I still once bought a Millennium Collection then Gold of Donna Summer, and a Sam Cooke collection there.

Then, a year and a half back, just down to one half-side of a row left, of even further junky budget CDs, and even that "CD section" was so reclusive, unable to find for moments and moments, I had to ask one of their uniformed clerks walking around the store.

But I'm sure it's only America. Ninety-eight percent, as there might be a lucky day I find something neat in a used bookstore or flea market, of the CDs I buy nowadays, are from Amazon, imported from Britain, Japan, or Germany. ACE Records I still trust ain't going anywhere, but I've still long lamented the loss of Hip-O Select.

....Unless some of you "CDs are indeed wiping out of our stores" are English as well, oh no....
    Last edited by Ngroove; 03-05-2018 at 06:13 AM.

Every time I see this subject discussed, I cringe. That is because I have over 2,000 CDs and I listen to them every day in my car. When that motor is running, so is my CD player! So the idea of losing the power to buy CDs and someday buying a car that might not even have a CD player is a double whammy to me.

Even if I wanted to try and adapt to downloading, streaming or whatever else comes along, I wouldn't have a prayer of duplicating my entire collection, would I? So for an old fogie like me who would still play his 8 tracks if he could, am I just, as we country people say, up S*** Creek?

You sound just like me. I also have thousands of CD's, and I listen to them all the time in the car. I travel some for work, and each time I rent a car, I make sure to say it must have a CD player... as many newer models do not. It infuriates me!

I too have many CDs but the convenience of having every single one on my iPhone all the time is unbelievably revolutionary. Anywhere I go, I can play any song I own. The best thing Apple did was introduce the 256gb iPhone. My entire CD collection finally fits on one device!

I'm a vinyl & CD collector. I never even visit mainstream music shops in Florida when we're there [[about 11 weeks per year) as I know they'll have nothing for me to buy [[their stock being such a pathetic selection of rubbish).
    I always buy online now and when I buy a new CD from the likes of Amazon, I always get free digital copies of all the tracks. I never download these as they just use up my computer's memory and slow down the speed it works at.
    I love the MOTOWN UNRELEASED series ... but never buy them as digital tracks. I wait till they come out on CD & get them then [[latest purchase being 'Mot Unr 1966').
    Of course, here in the UK, many people are simply returning to vinyl [[including my grandaughter who's building up a decent selection of new releases -- unforunately not soul -- but I can't have everything my way). We get well served with soul / Motown on vinyl [[& CD), so luckily for me, I can keep on buying new releases.

Quote Originally Posted by daviddesper View Post
    Every time I see this subject discussed, I cringe. That is because I have over 2,000 CDs and I listen to them every day in my car. When that motor is running, so is my CD player! So the idea of losing the power to buy CDs and someday buying a car that might not even have a CD player is a double whammy to me.

Even if I wanted to try and adapt to downloading, streaming or whatever else comes along, I wouldn't have a prayer of duplicating my entire collection, would I? So for an old fogie like me who would still play his 8 tracks if he could, am I just, as we country people say, up S*** Creek?
    Name:  av-5.jpg
Views: 408
Size:  21.1 KB
    For at least the next 20 years, you should be able to buy an external auto CD player that can be installed separately, even after factories stop making them, just as people can buy tape cassette decks and turntables, and even 78 rpm styli now. It will cost a little more, but won't be astronomical in price.

Quote Originally Posted by robb_k View Post
    Name:  av-5.jpg
Views: 408
Size:  21.1 KB
    For at least the next 20 years, you should be able to buy an external auto CD player that can be installed separately, even after factories stop making them, just as people can buy tape cassette decks and turntables, and even 78 rpm styli now. It will cost a little more, but won't be astronomical in price.
    That's true, but the rise of integrated, one piece dashes in cars makes it exceedingly difficult to find a place to mount an in-dash CD player. My old early 90s Pontiac was great. You could pull out the factory unit, grab a head unit and adapter kit and boom! done. Many cars now, however, use their navigation touch screens as their music infotainment centers meaning they can't be removed. My 2015 car is one of the rare models that has a CD player since I got the higher-end trim, but honestly, I still never use it [[even though I'm at around 1500 CDs). Its just so much easier to bluetooth my iPhone.

Haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa...i hate[cd's]i may have one in my whole music collection,if they fall off the center of the earth i ain't gonna miss em one bit...good riddance!!!vinyl forever!!!

Oh please.

I hate articles like this.

CD's aren't going out of print any time soon. I remember when they took away vinyl because "it wasn't popular" [[sure Jan). As long as people can purchase CDs online or at indie stores, it'll be around. Best Buy CD's haven't sold in years any doggone ways. When's the last time someone said "I'm gonna buy that Motown album at Best Buy"?

Quote Originally Posted by midnightman View Post
    Oh please.

CD's aren't going out of print any time soon. I remember when they took away vinyl because "it wasn't popular" [[sure Jan). As long as people can purchase CDs online or at indie stores, it'll be around. Best Buy CD's haven't sold in years any doggone ways. When's the last time someone said "I'm gonna buy that Motown album at Best Buy"?
    You're right. Plus hipsters 20 years from now will bring them back again and think they're cool for doing so. I'm still waiting for the 8-track renaissance. I have Supremes A Go Go on 8 track but my last player died.

Quote Originally Posted by midnightman View Post
    Oh please.

Gosh, I remember back when there was still Borders Books & Music, around Motown's 50th Anniversary, Borders took the awesome liberty of celebrating it with a Motown 50 CD cap display, at which I got myself The Very Best of the Originals, 20th Century Masters: Millennium Collection of Grover Cleveland Jr, and the Complete Motown Number Ones ten-discs in small-scale Hitsville USA building set.

Quote Originally Posted by Ngroove View Post
    Gosh, I remember back when there was still Borders Books & Music, around Motown's 50th Anniversary, Borders took the awesome liberty of celebrating it with a Motown 50 CD cap display, at which I got myself The Very Best of the Originals, 20th Century Masters: Millennium Collection of Grover Cleveland Jr, and the Complete Motown Number Ones ten-discs in small-scale Hitsville USA building set.
    I remember Tower Records in East Lansing and another branch I think in Ann Arbor that actually had Japanese Motown sleeve reissues and Verve Japan reissues IN STOCK!

If[eight tracks]come back i'll move to tibet and renounce humanity.

I rip all of my CDs and create transfers of my vinyl, and make lossless FLAC files out of them so I can store them on hard drives and play them back in various ways. To look for a song, all I have to do is search for it in the computer.

Midnightman may be right in that CDs aren't going away. But, here's the catch: I read where the labels are going to start using an encoding method called MQA. It may or may not sound better than regular CD, but the process allows for digital rights management. That's right, they are making another attempt to stop copying, therefore prohibiting the consumer from legally copying their legally bought CDs for their own use that is allowed under the Fair Use Clause [[U.S.). If you don't have a problem with it, so be it. But, I do.

I am at the point where I have just about everything I want, musically, and it is all backed up on several hard drives in pristine form. Redundancy is good! besides, the labels aren't really coming out with anything I would want to buy, anyway, so, perhaps my music buying days are just about over, and I don't care. I have enough music to last me decades.