[REMOVE ADS]

Martha and the Vandellas - My Baby Loves Me

Back in '66 I was not keen on this. I was just a kid and to my young ears it sounded a bit old fashioned & grown up. Now of course I adore and it's one of the few songs that Martha can still sing, properly!

Quote Originally Posted by copley View Post
    Back in '66 I was not keen on thiMusician Carol s. I was just a kid and to my young ears it sounded a bit old fashioned & grown up. Now of course I adore and it's one of the few songs that Martha can still sing, properly!

a Motown harpist named Carol said she originated the tune or was playing it in the studio when Mickey Stevenson heard it. She said parts of My Baby Loves Me is based on some classical tune she knew. Stevenson liked it and the rest is history.
    I thought the song and its B-side should have been included on the Watchout LP.

^ Interesting. Yeah why didn't it make that album?

I think that a 'Greatest Hits' album released in '66 got in the way as it appeared on there. The Marvelettes were another act who had several singles appear on 'Greatest Hits' but never on a regular studio album.

^ Yeah same can be said about Marvin.

I'm having a senior moment. I know that there is a gospel version of this but right now I can remember neither the title [[it's similar) nor artist. Help please!

I just loved this song----one of Martha's best performances--great great song. thanks! yea yea yea yea yea

Quote Originally Posted by copley View Post
    I'm having a senior moment. I know that there is a gospel version of this but right now I can remember neither the title [[it's similar) nor artist. Help please!
    I've got it, the Stovall Sisters - [[Yes To The Lord) My Baby Loves Me

My all time favourite by Martha and The Vandellas. A wonderful performance [[and the Four Tops too).

You of course mean Martha & The Andantes with the Four Tops. The Vandellas had gone shopping!

Also my favorite or close to favorite M & the Vandellas song.