[REMOVE ADS]

Lightbulb BATTLE OF THE GROUPS: The Jackson Five vs. The Sylvers

Both are family groups...both multi-talented and instrumentalists...and Edmund if you remember voiced Marlon's cartoon voice in the Jackson Five cartoons. In your humble opinion, who would you choose?

I'd vote for the Stairsteps [[a much better 'family' group than those already nominated IMHO).
    Last edited by jsmith; 09-26-2010 at 02:08 AM.

Well...those r my choices.

Quote Originally Posted by jsmith View Post
    I'd vote for the Stairsteps [[much better than both your choices).

Michael without question..that kid was James Brown,Jackie Wilson and Diana Ross rolled into one...

I don't usually do the comparison thing but in this case I have to say Jackson 5, hands down. The Sylvers had some nice
    tracks but very few of what I'd consider masterpieces or timeless classics aside from Wish That I Could Talk To You while
    Mike and his brothers scored more than once through several albums. Even if you put aside the hits, their album tracks
    and covers were harder hitting and tighter than anything the Sylvers released from overlooked gems like True Love Can Be
    Beautiful on the ABC album and Bridge Over Toubled Water on The Third Album to Who's Lovin You by Smokey, La La Means
    I Love You by The Delfonics, even I'll Bet You by Funkadelic. No disrespect, I dug the Sylvers, 'specially Charmaine... but
    Michael's later life drama has made a lot of people forget how BAD those Jackon brothers were. Even their "elders", the group
    jsmith brought from outside of the argument, were quite impressed by them and released a single in their style, I Love You, Stop....

In all honesty, Lady M, I don't see anything out of line here. An opinion, yes, but that seems to be about it. I think there are times the written word can cause some confusion regarding emotions. Maybe this is that instance.

on Jackson Five album tracks 'My Cherie ' has always been a favourite of mine when they harmonise in the middle it shows they would have been great on doo wop tunes- they sound so beautiful...

Hi this is Kev-Lo

They both were great! But I'll give the edge the Jackson Five

The Sylvers could keep up with the Jackson 5 when it came to stage performance, but in terms of music, I have to give it to the Jackson 5! They come out way ahead in terms of musicial output and the quality of their songs were just top notch. Motown saw to that. I loved some of the Sylvers work including "Boogie Fever" , " High School Dance" , etc ,etc, but their catalogue pales in comparison to the Jacksons.