[REMOVE ADS]

If the World Just Danced official video opportunity

Diana Ross has posted the chance to be selected for her official video if you post a dance within the next few days! https://iftheworldjustdanced.com/

Wouldn’t it have made more sense to this before the song was released.

Sounds rather last minute and a bit amateurish.

Sounds like a fun way to get fans & perhaps beginner-level professional dancers and students a bit of exposure.

I love this idea. It seems to offer a chance for Diana to celebrate her fans while furthering the theme of the song. Imagine the excitement of wondering if a dance submission “made the cut” for the video. This will also build excitement for the CD release. It would be less impactful to ask for dance videos prior to the hearing the lyric IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by mindful1 View Post
    Diana Ross has posted the chance to be selected for her official video if you post a dance within the next few days! https://iftheworldjustdanced.com/
    Guess it's time I dusted off my moves.

Quote Originally Posted by Ollie9 View Post
    Wouldn’t it have made more sense to this before the song was released.
    Make sense? Ollie, this is Diana Ross we're talking about here. The answer is no.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyB View Post
    I love this idea. It seems to offer a chance for Diana to celebrate her fans while furthering the theme of the song. Imagine the excitement of wondering if a dance submission “made the cut” for the video. This will also build excitement for the CD release. It would be less impactful to ask for dance videos prior to the hearing the lyric IMO.
    Okay Johnny, you made sense of this. I'm changing my opinion. Good for Diana. And ultimately it may prove to be the promotional "stunt" some of us have been talking about. Can't wait to see the final video!

I think she and her team are becoming aware there is no fire, and the Twitter inspired songs are a tad lackluster and not quite what the public wants. They are not looking for dancers, they trying to light a fire of interest.

Quote Originally Posted by RanRan79 View Post
    Guess it's time I dusted off my moves.
    It’s all about the backflips. Take care now.

Too little, too late as far as the single goes! Artists like Ross are realistically never going to have another hit single. Both 'Thank You' & 'Danced' are merely promotional tools for the parent album. There were no videos for either song, no TV appearances, no new photos in fact nothing! If Ross is being advised she needs to sack them, if she's not then she needs to hire some good PR guys. I know that she's an old lady, I know we are still in the middle of a pandemic but surely it can't be that difficult to arrange to do some press interviews and have a camera crew come to her house! I can see the album being a huge flop unless Decca & Ross get their acts together. Coming out soon you have albums by Radiohead, Abba, Ed Sheeran, Wanted, The Script, Lana Del Ray, Biffy Clyro, Little Mix just to name a few all of which will be massive sellers. IMHO moving the release date back was a grave error. By the time Ross tours next summer [[if she does) the album will be a distant memory. If she does tour the UK she is guaranteed a top 20 album [[at least) of 'Best Of'. Both Lionel & Dolly had top 3 albums after Glastonbury.

Maybe I'm asking the impossible, but why do people always bring forward something negative -- Ross being "lazy" , the promotion is too late, her pictures are too old, etc. Why can't people just be happy and excited that there is new music out there, that fans have a possibility to be featured in a Diana Ross video, that for the very first time in more than a decade fans in Europe might have a chance to see Ross perform live again -- after all those performances she gave in the US, which is quite remarkable for a woman of her age. In other words, why can't people just be happy with what they get, instead of moaning about what could be. I'm not saying that people are not allowed to be critical, but I''m just genuinely surprised by how some people always tend to give a negative spin to something that is really positive. I've never expected that in my lifetime I would here a radio deejay announce "Here's the new Diana Ross single." I've never expected in my lifetime the release of a new Diana Ross album that was NOT just another karaoke-style cover album -- in other words, I had never expected a new Ross album after "I Love You." I'm really excited about the new singles, and also looking forward with anticipation to the new album; and I really don't care about the new ABBA album released the same day and which probably will take away all the attention. Let's be happy, and indeed thankful, that there is new Diana Ross material to enjoy. Apologies for the rant, but I really don't understand the negativity.

A golden turd is still a turd. So we should be happy with it? It's freaking Diana Ross. She has the budget and the beauty and the business sense to put out a much more superior product.

Quote Originally Posted by marybrewster View Post
    A golden turd is still a turd. So we should be happy with it? It's freaking Diana Ross. She has the budget and the beauty and the business sense to put out a much more superior product.
    Okay, I'll give up. If people want to see "turds" they'll see "turds." Have fun with it.

Not negativity, it's called being a realist. I'd love to see her name in the charts again as I do all vintage artists. When an author has a new book published, an artist's new picture is unveiled in a gallery, when a new play or film is premiered or singer/band have a new record released they do all in their power to promote it. Not just to their fans & supporters but to the general public so that it reaches the widest audience. During lockdown the arts suffered badly as promotion was almost impossible and live performances were zero. Now, although far from back to normal, artists can finally promote their work and the majority are trying to make up for lost time. Now whether Ross & Decca think that all they have to do is sit back now that their work is done then they are sadly mistaken. Both know how it works. Weeks of press interviews, photos etc all slowly building up to 'R' day. Things just don't happen, you have to make them happen. Any apathy, negativity, lethargy is down to Ross & Decca not appearing to give a dam. If this was my project I'd be shouting it from the rooftop and kicking ass if needed. Rant over.

Because there negative nellies and Kens , but it where Mary Wilson we would not here a peep , we all know where this leads , the negatives out weigh the positives

I beg your pardon a Superior product give your head a shake, if This where Mary Wilson you would be going wild with joy , we all know the negative nellies on here

Quote Originally Posted by copley View Post
    When an author has a new book published, an artist's new picture is unveiled in a gallery,
    Well, Jude Deveraux used the same back picture for 20 years, but I get what you're saying ��

This only makes me sad because I hope this is not going to be a full on "fan" video with no new shots of Miss Ross. I want to see how she looks. I would be put at ease and know she is OK. She looked radiant on HSN a few years ago. I just want to see her. Not a whole bunch of fans dancing.

Quote Originally Posted by Jaap View Post
    Maybe I'm asking the impossible, but why do people always bring forward something negative -- Ross being "lazy" , the promotion is too late, her pictures are too old, etc. Why can't people just be happy and excited that there is new music out there, that fans have a possibility to be featured in a Diana Ross video, that for the very first time in more than a decade fans in Europe might have a chance to see Ross perform live again -- after all those performances she gave in the US, which is quite remarkable for a woman of her age. In other words, why can't people just be happy with what they get, instead of moaning about what could be. I'm not saying that people are not allowed to be critical, but I''m just genuinely surprised by how some people always tend to give a negative spin to something that is really positive. I've never expected that in my lifetime I would here a radio deejay announce "Here's the new Diana Ross single." I've never expected in my lifetime the release of a new Diana Ross album that was NOT just another karaoke-style cover album -- in other words, I had never expected a new Ross album after "I Love You." I'm really excited about the new singles, and also looking forward with anticipation to the new album; and I really don't care about the new ABBA album released the same day and which probably will take away all the attention. Let's be happy, and indeed thankful, that there is new Diana Ross material to enjoy. Apologies for the rant, but I really don't understand the negativity.
    I feel you, but as someone who has been critical of aspects of this release, as a huge Diana fan I have expectations and they go beyond just being glad to have new music. I'm going to always want Diana to be front and center of anything. I know everybody loves the company line about legends and being realistic about their successes in a day when they're supposedly past their prime, but I'll never settle for that. I believe Diana Ross is worthy of having the world give attention to her latest releases. And with this new publicity stunt I have a renewed hope. But at any point when I think something should be better or be different, I'm going to voice that in a forum where Diana is one of the main subjects. Perhaps there is a bit of tilt toward the more negative end of the spectrum with some of the comments, but as far as I can tell these are mostly from fans who expect a lot from a woman who has brought them [[us) a ton of joy over the years.

I look at it like I do sports: when my team has some areas that need improvement I speak on it. I don't just say I'm just glad that the team is on the field or on the court. Yeah, glad the guys showed up, but what are you going to do while you're out there? We gonna get the win or we going home with a loss? I'm not counting Diana out, but I want her to go for the win. Yes, I'll be glad to have the new music- I like both singles thus far which is a good sign for the album- and if the album flops it won't have any bearing whatsoever on how I enjoy the music. But I want Diana to add another feather to her cap and if that makes me "negative" for voicing concerns for the areas where I see necessary needed improvements, I'll just have to wear that. But I can see how the criticisms around here do seem to weigh a bit heavy in comparison to the non critical posts, so I do see where you're coming from.

I won’t kowtow to anyone regarding my thoughts, hopes, disappointments, or admirations regarding Ross’ professional output. Everyone doesn’t have to like everything.

With the release of the album looming, i’m hoping next month will see the wheels of promotion start to turn.
    I feel the promotional stunt for “If The World Just Danced” comes to late and the single will sadly slip by unnoticed. A great shame as it had real potential.
    It’s perfectly normal for fans to want the best for their chosen artist. If peeps define that as being negative then i have to question their devotion.

It’s perfectly normal for fans to want the best for their chosen artist. If peeps define that as being negative then i have to question their devotion.
    Saying Ross is "lazy," that the promotion is bad, and that the pictures are old are indeed valid and "realist" criticisms, but still taking a more negative perspective than a positive one. Me wondering out loud why people tend to focus on the negative instead of the positive is also a valid question. So go ahead and question my "devotion" and enjoy your devotional superiority. I'm rather positive and less devoted than negative and "devoted."

Personally, I am just thrilled that Diana has new music coming out!

Yes, the pictures are old and I would have preferred new ones. At first glance, the album cover looks more like a compilation than a new studio album. But I still think the cover is beautiful and it´s the music I´m most excited about anyways.

Let´s be honest though: no video of fans dancing around in their homes is going to draw much attention to the new song. Loads of artists have been doing this and those are the most boring "music videos" I have ever seen. What would draw attention to the album would be some TV appearances by Diana - especially performances. If she were to perform on Fallon, Kimmel etc it would give the album big exposure and make the public aware that a new album is coming out. We as fans are aware of course, but the general public does not seek these things out. They need to hear songs on the radio or see them on TV to be aware of what is coming out. People have said that there are at least several interviews coming up around the album release, so that will surely help.

I also think that her team is missing a trick by not releasing more physical formats. A lot of artists have been releasing CD and vinyl singles recently, aimed exclusively at the fan base. Many Diana fans have been collecting physical formats for decades and would love to add something new to their collection. It would not make much of a difference on the charts but it would help to make the project more exciting for the fans.

That said, we are getting a new Diana album in 2021! I had pretty much given up hope that we would get a new album, so no matter if I think some things could be done better in promoting it I am over the moon.

Seems a fun way to resurrect what Pharrell did in his "Happy Video".

Saying Ross is "lazy," that the promotion is bad, and that the pictures are old are indeed valid and "realist" criticisms, but still taking a more negative perspective than a positive one. Me wondering out loud why people tend to focus on the negative instead of the positive is also a valid question. So go ahead and question my "devotion" and enjoy your devotional superiority. I'm rather positive and less devoted than negative and "devoted."
    Jaap, I have never questioned your, Bluebrock's or Ollie9's "devotion". I've always appreciated and valued the viewpoints and opinions of Diana Ross/Supremes fans and admirers from across the ocean. Some other, shall we say, zealous "devotees", on the other hand, I have chosen to ignore.

It’s all about the backflips. Take care now.
    Backflips was never in my bag of moves, so I'm good there.

So you basically call us out for being "negative" but take exception to Ollie's comment as "devotional superiority"? Your original comment reads as a passive aggressive way of basically making the same point but in the opposite direction. Again, I notice what prompted your original post, but you had to know that some would take exception to what you said when you said it. The fact that even you admit that some of the criticism is valid sort of confuses me because if it's valid then why can't we talk about it? Or rather, why shouldn't we talk about it?

I think- and by all means correct me if I'm wrong- that you expected the Ross singles and album to drop and the forum was going to gush over every aspect. You've been here long enough to know that's not how we get down. We talk about it all, the good, the bad, and everything in between. I really love the "Danced" song and believe that with the right promotion the song could actually be a hit, whether a modest or big one. So for me to see that in the wake of the song dropping there's nothing happening around it, yeah, I have to talk about that. I think the fact that a lot of the "negative" discussions about this project is tied to the fact that most of us really like it thus far should signal that it's not negative for negative's sake, but because we believe in Diana and the music she has recently created and see the path to taking the album in a direction fitting the legend who created it.

I guess it's all in the way we look at things.

Quote Originally Posted by djessie View Post
    Personally, I am just thrilled that Diana has new music coming out!

Yes, the pictures are old and I would have preferred new ones. At first glance, the album cover looks more like a compilation than a new studio album. But I still think the cover is beautiful and it´s the music I´m most excited about anyways.

Let´s be honest though: no video of fans dancing around in their homes is going to draw much attention to the new song. Loads of artists have been doing this and those are the most boring "music videos" I have ever seen. What would draw attention to the album would be some TV appearances by Diana - especially performances. If she were to perform on Fallon, Kimmel etc it would give the album big exposure and make the public aware that a new album is coming out. We as fans are aware of course, but the general public does not seek these things out. They need to hear songs on the radio or see them on TV to be aware of what is coming out. People have said that there are at least several interviews coming up around the album release, so that will surely help.

I also think that her team is missing a trick by not releasing more physical formats. A lot of artists have been releasing CD and vinyl singles recently, aimed exclusively at the fan base. Many Diana fans have been collecting physical formats for decades and would love to add something new to their collection. It would not make much of a difference on the charts but it would help to make the project more exciting for the fans.

That said, we are getting a new Diana album in 2021! I had pretty much given up hope that we would get a new album, so no matter if I think some things could be done better in promoting it I am over the moon.
    Is that what's happening? I was under the impression that the videos were auditions.

Quote Originally Posted by lucky2012 View Post
    Jaap, I have never questioned your, Bluebrock's or Ollie9's "devotion". I've always appreciated and valued the viewpoints and opinions of Diana Ross/Supremes fans and admirers from across the ocean. Some other, shall we say, zealous "devotees", on the other hand, I have chosen to ignore.
    Well excccuuuussseeee me for loving Diana Ross. If worshipping at the Church of Diana Ross, kneeling at her alter daily, and tracking down and killing anyone who remotely criticizes her makes me a zealous devotee that has to be ignored, ignore away.

Is that what's happening? I was under the impression that the videos were auditions.
    My understanding is that the files uploaded on the site are the exact files that will be used in the video. The same procedure has been used by several artists in the last couple of years.

I would like to be wrong, but I´m pretty sure this is what they are doing.

surely the grandkid will get featured

This is how you make videos on a shoestring budget.

Well excccuuuussseeee me for loving Diana Ross. If worshipping at the Church of Diana Ross, kneeling at her alter daily, and tracking down and killing anyone who remotely criticizes her makes me a zealous devotee that has to be ignored, ignore away.
    No, you'd only be a zealous devotee if you tortured them by chanting poems from Secrets of a Sparrow while they're tied to a ball and chain before you killed them.

Given how short people's attention spans are and that Diana Ross is not going to spend two months going out there to do promotional performances, maybe if she is going to perform on a show like Kimmel or whoever else, that she wait until around the time the album drops? Certainly 30 years ago Force Behind the Power sales were impacted in the US because she went out to promote it but Motown didn't release it until a few months later.

Is If The World Just Danced getting any radio play in the UK?

The devotion quip was more tongue in cheek then anything else Jaap. I kind of understand your point about the negative criticisms outnumbering the positive ones.
    I personally have never called Diana lazy and it’s only because we want her music to be suitably promoted that has led to fans venting their frustrations.
    I’m doubly excited at the prospect of a new album and really like what we have heard so far. I’m also really hoping Diana has lined up some personal promotion prior to the albums release. It’s more to do with frustration at the lack of promotion and wanting the very best for her.

Quote Originally Posted by copley View Post
    Too little, too late as far as the single goes!
    Not in this TikTok world it isn't.

Your original comment reads as a passive aggressive way of basically making the same point but in the opposite direction.
    If my original comment reads as passive aggressiveness, I apologize for that, as that was certainly not my intention. I also didn't expect that there would only be gushing over the new album. I was just genuinely surprised by the -- at least what seems to me -- a lack of balance between the positive and negative. I thought there would be more discussion about the different choices of songs, the collaboration with the writers, etc. About the excitement of hearing a new Diana Ross single on the radio. The excitement of having a new album that promises to be much better, and definitely more original than the I Love You album. That was all. But clearly my post backfired.
    Last edited by Jaap; 09-15-2021 at 05:38 PM.

Diana Ross just posted that tomorrow 9/18 is "Diana National Dance Day", urging fans to post their videos

Well, it should build up anticipation amongst the fan base for the album. It's a fun idea. Be curious to see if somehow it will go viral and people outside the fan base will see the videos and share them.

Diana Ross has posted the first "If the World Just Danced" of people dancing. They're of her family.

https://twitter.com/DianaRoss/status...43198760423424

Quote Originally Posted by Spreadinglove21 View Post
    Diana Ross has posted the first "If the World Just Danced" of people dancing. They're of her family.

https://twitter.com/DianaRoss/status...43198760423424
    All very nice, but where is Diana??.

Going by her Twitter feed, not many people took her up on her offer to do a video. Maybe it's a different story on her Facebook page? Or maybe she's on TikTok or Snapchat? Nothing has been uploaded on Youtube in the last two weeks. Maybe we will eventually see a composite of a lot of her fans doing dance videos?

https://twitter.com/DianaRoss

Quote Originally Posted by Spreadinglove21 View Post
    Going by her Twitter feed, not many people took her up on her offer to do a video. Maybe it's a different story on her Facebook page? Or maybe she's on TikTok or Snapchat? Nothing has been uploaded on Youtube in the last two weeks. Maybe we will eventually see a composite of a lot of her fans doing dance videos?

https://twitter.com/DianaRoss
    They are instructed to upload videos on a designated site that was set up.

Quote Originally Posted by khansperac View Post
    They are instructed to upload videos on a designated site that was set up.
    Actually, you can also share off your moves just by putting in the official Twitter hashtag the Diana Ross account says. No need to lose sleep guys plenty of causual of fans are dancing and DR will feature them in her video.

Excellent analysis. Promotion was poor for the album. Even before and after Diana Ross' performance at The Queen's Jubillee Concert.

Duke Ellington said his job is to make music and the record company's job is to sell the records. He was dropped off of Columbia Records.

On you tube, over 2 million views of Diana Ross' performance of "Thank You" at Queen's Jubillee Concert, yet no tag along promo ads with the public videos. PR doesn't happen in the dark. Enjoying more the "Thank You" album after repeated listenings.
    Last edited by TNSUN; 04-01-2023 at 10:26 AM.