[REMOVE ADS]

Patti Labelle - Music of Today Lacks Substance

Only if the listener is narrow-minded. Like the 1910 Fruitgum Company's 'Chewy Chewy' had substance?

People said that about the 40s, 50s, 60s, 70s, 80s, 90s, '00s, I can go on and on lol

I agree with that comment to some extent, but also agree that this has always been expressed by each generation in regards to the current music scene at the time. I can imagine that the older folks in the 70's who loved their respectable jazz music were likely saying wtf to Patti singing "itchy itchy ya ya ga ga".

^ You know they were lol

And I can imagine older folks who first heard Motown and thought "what is this rock and roll noise you kids keep listening to?"

Quote Originally Posted by carlo View Post
    I agree with that comment to some extent, but also agree that this has always been expressed by each generation in regards to the current music scene at the time. I can imagine that the older folks in the 70's who loved their respectable jazz music were likely saying wtf to Patti singing "itchy itchy ya ya ga ga".
    There is that!

Quote Originally Posted by carlo View Post
    I hear you Carlo. I recall my grandparents criticising the classic 60's Motown songs that i loved and still love. In 50 years time the kids of today will probably be saying the same thing about the music their grand kids are listening to. What goes around comes around.
    There is still good music around today which i am finding it getting harder and harder to find, but i just put that down to my ageing ears!

I too can dig what patti is saying because for the most part i feel the same way,haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa..i'm old,but my kids ain't and my youngest will hip me to something once in awhile that makes me say..umm not bad..oh and by the way-motown was so good in the sixties that my dear grandmother who was steeped in the church would bob her head at times when she heard our motown stuff playing..berry gordy reached almost everybody!!!

Music today sucks! There are hardly any bands anymore. The singers use auto tune and there are no such things as good songwriters out there now.
    Last edited by marv2; 11-28-2019 at 09:57 AM.

I attempt to the best of my ability to not be so judgemental, but I agree wholeheartedly. In addition to music being the worst it's ever been,we don't realize that this is being done on purpose. The powers that be can shape the industry however they like and on a mainstream level dysfunction is where the money is. That's what's profitable today for some reason. People irk me when they use the market being "Teen Orientated" as an excuse as if record companies have to sell music to young folks or fade away. Sony can probably have one of the best singers on their roster record a great song rooted in traditional R&B, release it and have DJ's put it in heavy rotation and watch it hit. I'm willing to bet that the same youngins buying "trap" will buy that song if it's truly great and if they hear it enough. The problem with that though is a little less crisis in society: fewer funerals,fewer arrests, low crime in ghetto's,etc. They don't want that because there's no profit in structure anymore. Could say more, but I'm going too long.

At the end of the day I always fault the listening public... If Patti is talking about the
    current field of pop and so called R&B for the most part she's right but still there are and have been since the 90's various exceptions. Still most folks ignore even those. The issue
    of narrow mindedness comes into play here. Most buyers and media outlets focus on
    the Beyonce and Rihanna material but dismiss "outsiders" like say Alice Smith or artists
    connected to other genres whether jazz [[Lalah Hathaway, Jazzmeia Horn), blues [[Shemika Copeland), roots [[Rhiannon Giddens) or world/afrobeat/whatever [[Somi)...Corrine Bailey Rae is still making great music but her shows don't feature 20
    on stage twerkers so wtf?.....Where we are now is where we chose to be...

I guess Patti hasn't heard A Seat At The Table.

Quote Originally Posted by PeaceNHarmony View Post
    I guess Patti hasn't heard A Seat At The Table.
    Or Lemonade lol

Then again, she recently praised Ariana Grande's vocals so make with that as you will... lol

Quote Originally Posted by splanky View Post
    At the end of the day I always fault the listening public... If Patti is talking about the
    current field of pop and so called R&B for the most part she's right but still there are and have been since the 90's various exceptions. Still most folks ignore even those. The issue
    of narrow mindedness comes into play here. Most buyers and media outlets focus on
    the Beyonce and Rihanna material but dismiss "outsiders" like say Alice Smith or artists
    connected to other genres whether jazz [[Lalah Hathaway, Jazzmeia Horn), blues [[Shemika Copeland), roots [[Rhiannon Giddens) or world/afrobeat/whatever [[Somi)...Corrine Bailey Rae is still making great music but her shows don't feature 20
    Right. Great talent IS out there but it gets ignored by the same people who think music has "died". You just can't take their opinions seriously. And Patti is a boomer lol so she's probably given the "OK Boomer" treatment for this comment haha

Well said! It is so judgemental to claim there is no good music out there anymore. The ignorant people claim this to be the case are the exact same ones who do not look beyond Taylor Swift and Katy Perry. I concede that it is more difficult than ever to find this music, but to steadfastly insist that all modern music is garbage is just plain stupid and most disrespectful to the "real" artists who are out there perfecting their art.
    Listen without prejudice.

Get off my lawn-hehehehehehe!!!

Quote Originally Posted by midnightman View Post
    ^ You know they were lol

And I can imagine older folks who first heard Motown and thought "what is this rock and roll noise you kids keep listening to?"
    Not my grandparents. I can remember my father's mother dancing to "Shotgun" by Junior Walker and the Allstars and my mother's mother dancing to the Supremes.

Quote Originally Posted by arr&bee View Post
    Get off my lawn-hehehehehehe!!!
    "I'll call the law on you young man......" hehehehehehehe!

Quote Originally Posted by Bluebrock View Post
    Well said! It is so judgemental to claim there is no good music out there anymore. The ignorant people claim this to be the case are the exact same ones who do not look beyond Taylor Swift and Katy Perry. I concede that it is more difficult than ever to find this music, but to steadfastly insist that all modern music is garbage is just plain stupid and most disrespectful to the "real" artists who are out there perfecting their art.
    Listen without prejudice.
    Ain't nobody stupid. I agree with Patti Labelle, music today sucks! Most Millennials agree with that assessment. I've seen many of their comments on classic pop and R&B videos

I'd have to agree with Patty also. A lot of what is topping the pop charts these days is a lot of lightweight, fluff. Not much is catchy, memorable or sticks to you and that is the rub to me. What makes it worse are the artist that strive to sing in the same style and vein [[every body sounding alike). There is no character in their voices which makes it all sound generic. Whatever happened to individualism?

By ignoring the charts and going outside the boxes I never run out of new music to listen to;always have...

By ignoring the charts and going outside the boxes I never run out of new music to listen to;always have...
    I agree there -

Me too, but some people are just too blinkered and set in their ways to admit that good music albeit in smaller quantities still exists.

I'm listening to this album by an artist like H.E.R. and she's pretty damn good. The Grammys just nominated her for tons of awards including Album and Record of the Year. Just take a listen. It may not be your cup of tea and I understand the generation gap but I love it.