[REMOVE ADS]

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    One of the recent books says the supremes are not on Funny Girl or the Christmas album - but I'm sure they could be here and there

There was a Funny Girl alternate I'm The Greatest Star they were on; there are Stop In The Name of Loves with them and without them

Quote Originally Posted by jobeterob View Post
    One of the recent books says the supremes are not on Funny Girl or the Christmas album - but I'm sure they could be here and there

There was a Funny Girl alternate I'm The Greatest Star they were on; there are Stop In The Name of Loves with them and without them
    Actually, aside from ''People" and the title track, the Supremes recorded all of the Funny Girl album. For some unknown reason, their vocals were not all used or additional voices were added. The 2014 Mix with just Diana, Mary and Cindy sounds so much better than the released album. Take a listen to the new mix of "The Music That Makes Me Dance." Why did Motown mute that beautiful group harmony? Puzzles me...

Quote Originally Posted by bradsupremes View Post
    Actually, aside from ''People" and the title track, the Supremes recorded all of the Funny Girl album. For some unknown reason, their vocals were not all used or additional voices were added. The 2014 Mix with just Diana, Mary and Cindy sounds so much better than the released album. Take a listen to the new mix of "The Music That Makes Me Dance." Why did Motown mute that beautiful group harmony? Puzzles me...
    I loved that I'm the Greatest Star with them as well.

You know, it was all opinion of the producer; I remember once on here Ralph said "the Andantes were the best". Who knows what it meant? And who knows what different producers thought in the 60's.

The Supremes harmonies were some of the best ever. Supremes as in "not Andantes" or others.

It seems this expanded edition is available as a lossless download in the US [[7Digital, Pono), but here in the UK I can only find it on iTunes. I'll wait.

by the time of "Funny Girl" and even before that Gordy seemed to want the "Broadway", tv variety show 'sound' behind the soon to be solo Diana Ross, that apparently was his goal and his decisions, the with Supremes album has a decidedy different sound than the with Andantes album.. he made the move of going in the show bizzy direction tracing all the way back to the 'battle' over including "You're Nobody Till Somebody Loves You" in the 'live' shows.. he had an exact game plan..I, by the way, being a show bizzy guy, enjoy "Funny Girl" in it's released form, as we were in the dark on all this back then, it never dawned on me to think as to why the backup voices sounded like more than two people.. our brains were programmed to think the way Gordy wanted us to think; or, as he said about 'Someday We'll Be Together, 'it's a Supremes record if we say it's a Supremes record"..sort of llike "Yesterday' being a Beatles release when it was only Paul, or"The Ballad Of John and Yoko" when it was only John and Paul

I loved that I'm the Greatest Star with them as well.

You know, it was all opinion of the producer; I remember once on here Ralph said "the Andantes were the best". Who knows what it meant? And who knows what different producers thought in the 60's.

The Supremes harmonies were some of the best ever. Supremes as in "not Andantes" or others.
    It means they worked fast and cheap. And some producers like that bland homogonized background sound, others, like me... prefer background vocals with some spice. Nobody else in the industry liked the Andantes sound, because after 1972, they were out of work, while people like Merry Clayton, Darlene Love, Cissy Houston, Madeline Bell, Sunny and Sue, etc. worked CONSTANTLY and were in high demand.

RossHolloway Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimi LaLumia View Post
    by the time of "Funny Girl" and even before that Gordy seemed to want the "Broadway", tv variety show 'sound' behind the soon to be solo Diana Ross, that apparently was his goal and his decisions, the with Supremes album has a decidedy different sound than the with Andantes album.. he made the move of going in the show bizzy direction tracing all the way back to the 'battle' over including "You're Nobody Till Somebody Loves You" in the 'live' shows.. he had an exact game plan..I, by the way, being a show bizzy guy, enjoy "Funny Girl" in it's released form, as we were in the dark on all this back then, it never dawned on me to think as to why the backup voices sounded like more than two people.. our brains were programmed to think the way Gordy wanted us to think; or, as he said about 'Someday We'll Be Together, 'it's a Supremes record if we say it's a Supremes record"..sort of llike "Yesterday' being a Beatles release when it was only Paul, or"The Ballad Of John and Yoko" when it was only John and Paul
    I don't think that Mr. Gordy ever hid the fact that he wanted his acts to have cross-over appeal and groomed them to perform all over the United States as well as the world. Those acts who bought into Mr. Gordy's vision were also the most successful, I think, and it didn't just include the Supremes.

RossHolloway Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by jillfoster View Post
    It means they worked fast and cheap. And some producers like that bland homogonized background sound, others, like me... prefer background vocals with some spice. Nobody else in the industry liked the Andantes sound, because after 1972, they were out of work, while people like Merry Clayton, Darlene Love, Cissy Houston, Madeline Bell, Sunny and Sue, etc. worked CONSTANTLY and were in high demand.
    Yes Jill we all know, you hate the Andantes. Personally I think they were awesome and wish that they recorded more group material of their own. I also think the group members did not want to leave Detroit when Motown left for the West Coast and It had nothing to do with their vocal abilities, plus I trust the musical talent and ears of Berry Gordy and the many many producers who used the Andantes for background vocals over some random person with no music resume typing on a blog. So there's that..

Quote Originally Posted by floyjoy678 View Post
    So I took a listen to this album for the first time in a few years and I love Flo's alternate vocal take on "O Holy Night" and I still wonder why it was left off the original album. Is that the Andantes backing her on "Silent Night"? I used to love "Little Bright Star" but didn't find myself loving it too much this time, actually I used to love the whole album but I'm not too keen on it these days. I think the music on some of the songs and the Andantes vocals ruin it. And I've been going into listening to this album knowing it was the Andantes for over 10 years now but I still swear I hear Florence and Mary in the mix of all those many voices on "Santa Claus Is Coming To Town", I'm completely convinced that they're just on that one cut.
    Yes, I agree. I could always swear I heard at least Flo on "Santa Clause..."

Quote Originally Posted by RossHolloway View Post
    Yes Jill we all know, you hate the Andantes. Personally I think they were awesome and wish that they recorded more group material of their own. I also think the group members did not want to leave Detroit when Motown left for the West Coast and It had nothing to do with their vocal abilities, plus I trust the musical talent and ears of Berry Gordy and the many many producers who used the Andantes for background vocals over some random person with no music resume typing on a blog. So there's that..
    I loved them too and would have loved to have heard them sing more material in their own right.

I have a lot of trouble with iTunes not recognizing my computer and not letting me download after purchases, and I am on a MacBook pro, an Apple product! I can usually get it to work after awhile, but the hassle factor is very high.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Desjardines View Post
    I plunked down my money and am enjoying The Supremes Merry Christmas Expanded edition as I write this. Two discs worth of music and a nice booklet to boot. Sorry for the members here who are very disappointed in no physical release. Full disclosure: I am a technical ludite downloading from iTunes. I had an ID and password from the last two Supremes/Diana Ross digital downloads which I couldn't remember anything, and gave the poor iTunes online clerk who had to lead me step by step over the phone, no doubt to soak her head in a vatAttachment 10841 of gin when she gets home this evening. In the end, I got my downloads and all is well this wet and dreary Vancouver evening.

While I like the Mono album, I still prefer the Stereo. I have reordered my tracks into one cd with the Stereo album, then the additional cuts, then the mono album. This provides me with a much longer Christmas album before I rehear the original songs in Mono. This pleases me!

Quote Originally Posted by thommg View Post
    While I like the Mono album, I still prefer the Stereo. I have reordered my tracks into one cd with the Stereo album, then the additional cuts, then the mono album. This provides me with a much longer Christmas album before I rehear the original songs in Mono. This pleases me!
    I'll do just the opposite.

Since I had the mono album about 10 years before I got the stereo album I prefer the mono versions, especially White Christmas, Silver Bells, [[no backgrounds on those) My Christmas Tree and Twinkle Twinkle Little Me [[both with alternate vocals). I don't notice too much of a difference in all the other songs, except for the studio chatter on Santa Claus Is Coming To Town.

I will omit the stereo versions since I have them on the 1999 release. I will keep just the mono versions and the additional tracks. I've already done this years ago onto a CD-R from vinyl but now that I have the digital remasters I will have a nice new copy.

Quote Originally Posted by johnjeb View Post
    I'll do just the opposite.

Since I had the mono album about 10 years before I got the stereo album I prefer the mono versions, especially White Christmas, Silver Bells, [[no backgrounds on those) My Christmas Tree and Twinkle Twinkle Little Me [[both with alternate vocals).
    They say you always remember your first! That would explain my love for the stereo and yours for the mono. I guess we just get used to hearing things a certain way and when we don't hear it we decide it's not a good as what we remember.

I feel disloyal but I haven't bought this yet!!

Quote Originally Posted by calvin View Post
    It seems this expanded edition is available as a lossless download in the US [[7Digital, Pono), but here in the UK I can only find it on iTunes. I'll wait.
    Now it's available as a lossless download in the UK from 7Digital. The pdf booklet comes with the album download, it's listed at the bottom after all the songs. [[I haven't bought this yet.)

https://www.7digital.com/artist/the-...stmas-4978266/
    Last edited by calvin; 12-09-2015 at 03:42 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by thommg View Post
    They say you always remember your first! That would explain my love for the stereo and yours for the mono. I guess we just get used to hearing things a certain way and when we don't hear it we decide it's not a good as what we remember.
    Yes, in most cases the first is always the favored experience!!!

Of course, I've had the stereo album on CD for almost 30 years, so those versions are almost more familiar than the mono versions. But I am the most satisfied when I hear the mono versions.

I didn't transfer the mono vinyl to CD-R until 15 years ago. At least once during the holidays, I clean the dust off the turntable dust-cover and play the mono vinyl, [[except this year my turntable is at the repair shop - from lack of use, I was told) but then I mostly play the stereo CD. The mono CD-R I play infrequently fearing I would damage or lose it. Now I can play frisbee with it or use it as a coaster, I feel liberated now that I have the mono download!

I feel disloyal but I haven't bought this yet!!
    For most this isn't a "must-have". Of all their albums this is the one I wanted in mono the most, so it was a no-brainer for me, although I would have preferred a CD.

I hear that for the Sam Cooke and Country-Western albums there are noticeable differences between the mono and stereo albums. Although, I have both albums in both formats I have not played them back-to-back to check. Maybe I'll do that in 2016 now that I'm retired.

I bought the downloads for Merry Christmas and The Wiz to deplete an iTunes Gift Card I've had for about 7 years. Time will tell if I continue to buy downloads. Although, after the fact, I was told I could have used the card to buy apps for my new iPhone. DOH!!!

As an idea, the good people at Universal could make a recording of themselves laughing at the people who won't buy anything only physical product. It could be given free as part of a future download package but if they want the intended recipients of the laughter to hear it, they would have to release it as a CD or on vinyl. Who knows, an up-tempo version might go big on the Northern scene.
    Last edited by mysterysinger; 12-09-2015 at 10:09 PM.

Is the booklet good?

I've just downloaded this with my birthday iTunes gift card; will sound off when I get the chance to listen.

I plunked down my money and am enjoying The Supremes Merry Christmas Expanded edition as I write this. Two discs worth of music and a nice booklet to boot. Sorry for the members here who are very disappointed in no physical release. Full disclosure: I am a technical ludite downloading from iTunes. I had an ID and password from the last two Supremes/Diana Ross digital downloads which I couldn't remember anything, and gave the poor iTunes online clerk who had to lead me step by step over the phone, no doubt to soak her head in a vat

Attachment 10841

of gin when she gets home this evening. In the end, I got my downloads and all is well this wet and dreary Vancouver evening.
    Mark - Is this photo from the booklet you mention? It's really beautiful. I've seen it before but only in a black & white print. So glad to see this great, eye-catching version of it now. Many thanks.

in regards to Funny Girl and other recordings, I think Gordy and team wanted a fuller sound than you can make with only 3 singers. of course they could have done layer vocals, like Di's lead on You Keep Me Hanging On. but i'm guessing time and effort made it easier to just grab the Andantes and fill it out. it might be in the FG booklet where there's an interview with Jules and he wanted it live, in front of an orchestra and just the 3 girls. Motown felt differently.

same goes for Country Western & Pop. if you go onto Amazon and download the Motown Unreleased 1963, there are 4 or so CW&P tracks there. the andantes aren't on these and you can hear just the Sups. very nice. also a very different sound. in the actual final release, the andantes are very subtly mixed into the background and just fill the sound out nicely. if you're just an avg fan or music buyer, having that come through your speakers might be a little nicer. not as pure but the sound id bigger and more vibrant

again, keep in mind Gordy's goal was record sales. not necessarily leaving a historical legacy

What the Supremes had and brought to Motown was that 4 girl harmony. That full sound in the background of all the Supremes. When Betty and Barbara left and was not replaced the girls were still FANTASTIC but one ingredient was left out in the studio. This is why Diana is on the background of some of the songs and why Jean even recorded some of the backgrounds as well. Again its my opinion. So instead of just adding just one more voice the producers recorded the Andantes of three or four sometimes background singers. This was the Motown Sound.

Interesting captain; people always ask what it is

does anyone know if the Merry Christmas cd charted this week on Billboard charts. i know many expected it to do so, hopefully

Not that I saw at least not on the portion published on line

The only motown Christmas cd on the charts is the temptations Christmas cd; perhaps next week

The Supremes "Merry Christmas" album's instrumental tracks were recorded at Sunset Sound Studios in Hollywood in August 1965, with the Supremes' vocals cut at Hitsville in Detroit in early September. The arrangers included Gil Askey and Ernie Freeman.

Quote Originally Posted by captainjames View Post
    What the Supremes had and brought to Motown was that 4 girl harmony. That full sound in the background of all the Supremes. When Betty and Barbara left and was not replaced the girls were still FANTASTIC but one ingredient was left out in the studio. This is why Diana is on the background of some of the songs and why Jean even recorded some of the backgrounds as well. Again its my opinion. So instead of just adding just one more voice the producers recorded the Andantes of three or four sometimes background singers. This was the Motown Sound.
    Do you know which songs Diana did double duty on? I'm pretty sure "Long Gone Lover" and "Things Are Changing" have Diana on both background and lead, but what else?

Diana is definitely in the background of Long Gone Lover. She is also on the background for You Bring Back Memories where she blends perfectly with Florence. I wished that Diana actually did the backgrounds for when the other Supremes did the leads, well Mary actually. It seems after Ain't That Good News she never did the backgrounds. Come and Get These Memories sound like Flo and Mary back there and then Can't Take My Eyes Off You sound like Cindy and Mary.

Diana did do backgrounds on can't take my eyes off of you.

the andantes did background on Can't Take My Eyes off of you

Diana is on background for Sunset, Long Gone Lover, Breathtaking Guy, buttered popcorn and some of the other Meet Sup tracks, Ain't That Good News, Falling In Love With Love, People, I Saw Him Standing There,

Both Diana and the andantes?

Methuselah2, yes the colour photo I posted on this thread that you asked about, is from the booklet available on iTunes.

I do prefer the stereo versions of these songs

How many time are they gonna release The Supremes Christmas Album ? i would have liked Mary Wilson's first solo album,over this.

Yes, would love Mary's first solo album with bonus tracks, but preferably on CD

Methuselah2, yes the colour photo I posted on this thread that you asked about, is from the booklet available on iTunes.
    Thanks Mark.

I'm with you Carlo,i want Mary Wilson's first solo album,on Motown,with bonus tracks also,sorry but i never liked The Supremes Christmas album.

Quote Originally Posted by REDHOT View Post
    I'm with you Carlo,i want Mary Wilson's first solo album,on Motown,with bonus tracks also,sorry but i never liked The Supremes Christmas album.

It would be great to finally have debut solo album with bonus tracks and a few remixes would be excellent. After 50 year, I think anyone that still wants the Supremes Merry Christmas album should have it.

Quote Originally Posted by REDHOT View Post
    No need to apologise Redhot. We are all entitled to our opinion.
    Personally speaking it remains one of my favourite holiday albums and always gets a spin in the Bluebrock household at this time of year.