[REMOVE ADS]

Coming In July -- IL DIVO - "For Once In My Life" CD

After being discovered by Simon Cowell in 2003, IL DIVO went on to sell over 30 million albums and sell out arena tours worldwide. For their 10th studio album, IL DIVO is ready to release their brand new "For Once In My Life - A Celebration Of Motown" on July 16!

As a rule, I rarely like cover versions of Motown as they usually come off as nerdy and second-rate, but these guys -- IL DIVO -- are the real deal! Judging from the two sample tracks included here -- "Ain't No Mountain High Enough" and "My Girl", they've really nailed it!

The complete tracklist includes:

1) Ain't No Mountain High Enough [[featuring Marvin Gaye)
    2) For Once In My Life
    3) The Tracks Of My Tears [[featuring Smokey Robinson)
    4) My Girl
    5) I'll Make Love To You [[featuring Boyz II Men)
    6) River Deep - Mountain High
    7) I'll Be There
    8) Reach Out, I'll Be There
    9) Say You, Say Me
    10) My Cherie Amour

Hear for yourselves:
    [[Press and hold on link; then click on red YouTube logo)

https://youtu.be/1enmGxlrVWA

Available on CD and downloads. Pre-Order at ILDIVO.com below:

[[Press and hold on link; then click on red Open logo.)

https://classical.centerstagestore.com/collections/il-divo
    Last edited by Philles/Motown Gary; 05-24-2021 at 06:16 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Philles/Motown Gary View Post
    After being discovered by Simon Cowell in 2003, IL DIVO went on to sell over 30 million albums and sell out arena tours worldwide. For their 10th studio album, IL DIVO is ready to release their brand new "For Once In My Life - A Celebration Of Motown" on July 16!

As a rule, I rarely like cover versions of Motown as they usually come off as nerdy and second-rate, but these guys -- IL DIVO -- are the real deal! Judging from the two sample tracks included here -- "Ain't No Mountain High Enough" and "My Girl", they've really nailed it!

The complete tracklist includes:

1) Ain't No Mountain High Enough [[featuring Marvin Gaye)
    2) For Once In My Life
    3) The Tracks Of My Tears [[featuring Smokey Robinson)
    4) My Girl
    5) I'll Make Love To You [[featuring Boyz II Men)
    6) River Deep - Mountain High
    7) I'll Be There
    8) Reach Out, I'll Be There
    9) Say You, Say Me
    10) My Cherie Amour

Hear for yourselves:
    [[Press and hold on link; then click on red YouTube logo)

https://youtu.be/1enmGxlrVWA

Available on CD and downloads. Pre-Order at ILDIVO.com below:

[[Press and hold on link; then click on red Open logo.)

https://classical.centerstagestore.c...ctions/il-divo
    Already posted this a while back - it's awful

Here's the existing thread from earlier on...

https://soulfuldetroit.com/showthrea...highlight=divo

I also thought it sounds awful. Their version of Ain't No Mountain High Enough may be the worst cover version I've ever heard, of ANY song. This trailer that they posted to promote the upcoming album is not any better. I equate this pairing to chocolate covered pickles.
    Last edited by carlo; 05-24-2021 at 11:09 AM.

You guys are hilarious! I'm not usually a fan of these "pretty boy" bands who have become so popular especially with [[it seems) PBS viewers! I like Il Divo more than the others and have 1 or 2 of their Christmas albums.

Honestly, I didn't think the excerpt of "Ain't No Mountain High Enough" sounded bad but when I heard the full track, I realized they did that ghoulish thing which I hate...had the original singer, Gaye, introducing the song and "singing along" here and there. As much as I would have loved to hear Natalie Cole actually sing with her father, knowing she's singing to an old track at a "pretend duet" creeps me out, for some reason. Regardless of what you think of Il Divo, their version of "Mountain" would have been better without Gaye's "contribution."

Again, I'm sorry for having repeated Jack's earlier announcement. As I said, I was out of commission for a few months. I found out about IL DIVO's new Motown-tribute CD just last night, thinking it was brand-new news, and wanted to share it. Big mistake! Never again!

Oh well Gary, I guess we have to forgive you!

Looking into this group, they are multi-national with French, Spanish, Swiss, and American members who have sold millions of records worldwide and it seems a lot of their hits are not in English, or are multilingual. Regardless of whether or not I feel this is "authentic" to the Motown sound, I'm all for artists acting as a gateway for their fan base to be exposed to the Motown and Classic Soul music that I personally love. More power to them for that - I won't be picking this one up, but I doubt that I'm their target demographic!

I felt the same way about Taylor Swift's cover of "September" by Earth Wind & Fire. It wasn't delivered in a way that made me feel what the EWF original made me feel, and I'm alright with that - just the fact that she exposed her fanbase to EWF, and the possibility that even a fraction of that fan base then went to become EWF fans is cool to me.

I learned to appreciate Glen Campbell because the Four Tops and The Dells covered his songs. I learned to appreciate James Taylor because of Bobby Womack's version of "Fire and Rain" and Donny Hathaway's live "You've Got A Friend." I feel like many who grew up with the original versions of those songs might feel my favorite versions are sub-par, but there's room for all of it out there.

All that said, posthumous duets are a whole different discussion about artistic philosophy, and I also would love to see major artists do some of these "classic songs" cover albums and dig deeper than the biggest hits!

Quote Originally Posted by kenneth View Post
    Oh well Gary, I guess we have to forgive you!
    YOU had better! Ha!

Quote Originally Posted by drewschultz88 View Post
    Looking into this group, they are multi-national with French, Spanish, Swiss, and American members who have sold millions of records worldwide and it seems a lot of their hits are not in English, or are multilingual. Regardless of whether or not I feel this is "authentic" to the Motown sound, I'm all for artists acting as a gateway for their fan base to be exposed to the Motown and Classic Soul music that I personally love. More power to them for that - I won't be picking this one up, but I doubt that I'm their target demographic!

I felt the same way about Taylor Swift's cover of "September" by Earth Wind & Fire. It wasn't delivered in a way that made me feel what the EWF original made me feel, and I'm alright with that - just the fact that she exposed her fanbase to EWF, and the possibility that even a fraction of that fan base then went to become EWF fans is cool to me.

I learned to appreciate Glen Campbell because the Four Tops and The Dells covered his songs. I learned to appreciate James Taylor because of Bobby Womack's version of "Fire and Rain" and Donny Hathaway's live "You've Got A Friend." I feel like many who grew up with the original versions of those songs might feel my favorite versions are sub-par, but there's room for all of it out there.

All that said, posthumous duets are a whole different discussion about artistic philosophy, and I also would love to see major artists do some of these "classic songs" cover albums and dig deeper than the biggest hits!
    Thanks for your kind post, Drew. Back in the early 2000's, Simon Cowell had a brainstorm: wouldn't it be neat to take 4 male opera singers and put them together in a pop group. He tried it, and the rest is history! Personally, I love these guys. Their vocal blend is phenomenal, and I have nearly all of their CDs. Their new CD of Motown covers isn't meant to replace the Motown originals, nor could they even if they tried. In fact, I would be the first staunch supporter against such a travesty. But I agree with you. Motown had the best melodies and the best arrangers and producers. It only seems logical to me that a group like IL DIVO would choose the Motown catalog on which to honor with their magnificent harmonies. When the CD is released, who knows whether I'll like it or not. [[I DO love the version of "Ain't No Mountain High Enough" which I posted, although I haven't heard the version with Marvin Gaye dubbed in.) What I don't understand is why people are so dead-set against it before they've even heard it. Some are even convinced that Motown and fans should be offended by this release. What bullshit! Smokey Robinson obviously wasn't offended. Smokey is the kind of guy who would be honored by such a tribute. Like they say, imitation is the best form of flattery. Already, the YouTube video which I posted has 2.7K LIKES; only 89 Dislikes. It doesn't appear that Motown's fans are offended, other than the few 89.

I agree with the views expressed by @drewschultz and my buddy Gary. I think it’s kind of snobbish to think that only certain performers have a “right” to perform the music we love. Though I realize that their style may not appeal to everybody, it’s likely too slick for my taste with this material as well, but still I commend them for giving it a go.

I’ve always been an old movie buff, and my friends used to find it hard to believe that it didn’t offend me when classic black-and-white movies were colorized for people who would never watch a black-and-white movie under any circumstances. To me, it meant what @Drew was expressing, it likely exposed people to a movie like “Casablanca“ who might otherwise have never seen it, never found out who Humphrey Bogart or Ingrid Bergman were, and perhaps it created some new fans in the bargain.

Anyway just my thoughts. I think it’s better to share the wealth than to act like we’re the arbiter of who should earn the right to perform it or not.

Quote Originally Posted by kenneth View Post
    I agree with the views expressed by @drewschultz and my buddy Gary. I think it’s kind of snobbish to think that only certain performers have a “right” to perform the music we love. Though I realize that their style may not appeal to everybody, it’s likely too slick for my taste with this material as well, but still I commend them for giving it a go.

I’ve always been an old movie buff, and my friends used to find it hard to believe that it didn’t offend me when classic black-and-white movies were colorized for people who would never watch a black-and-white movie under any circumstances. To me, it meant what @Drew was expressing, it likely exposed people to a movie like “Casablanca“ who might otherwise have never seen it, never found out who Humphrey Bogart or Ingrid Bergman were, and perhaps it created some new fans in the bargain.

Anyway just my thoughts. I think it’s better to share the wealth than to act like we’re the arbiter of who should earn the right to perform it or not.
    Wow! Thanks, Kenny. I couldn't have said it better myself, Buddy!