[REMOVE ADS]

Diana Ross: American Recording Records

Does Diana Ross still hold these American Recording records:

1. Only singer to have #1 Record Song simultaneously on The Pop, Soul/R&B and Dance/Disco Charts, "Love Hangover"?

2. Only singer to have #1 Record Song as a member of a trio, duet and as a solo artist?
    The Supremes, w/Lionel Ritchie and as solo, Diana Ross.

In the UK Cher has scored #1's as a soloist, duo and as a trio or group with 'Love Can Build a Bridge' - Cher/Chrissie Hynde/Nena Cherry with Eric Clapton.

Olivia Newton-John has had #1 hits as a soloist, duo & group with ELO.

Lionel Richie as reached #1 in all three categories as has Phil Collins. Duo was with Marilyn Martin.
    Last edited by copley; 03-27-2021 at 01:47 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by TNSUN View Post
    Does Diana Ross still hold these American Recording records:

1. Only singer to have #1 Record Song simultaneously on The Pop, Soul/R&B and Dance/Disco Charts, "Love Hangover"?

2. Only singer to have #1 Record Song as a member of a trio, duet and as a solo artist?
    The Supremes, w/Lionel Ritchie and as solo, Diana Ross.
    I think she is the only female singer to have scored a #1 as group trio, solo, duet, and ensemble. “We are the World”
    Last edited by vgalindo; 03-27-2021 at 07:40 PM.

It pisses me off that we are the world is usually missing from her tally of number one singles

Quote Originally Posted by nomis View Post
    It pisses me off that we are the world is usually missing from her tally of number one singles
    As well as "Mo Money Mo Problems."

And this is because she is not named as a vocalist on either song

But she said she did not mind because they paid her a lot of money for the use of I’m Coming Out

But she still is vocalist even thou she's not named

But she still is vocalist even thou she's not named

Why she wasn't named? She would have another official #1 in her glorious list of achievements in a time she really needed it. 1997.

Was Diana who refused to be credited?

"Mo Money Mo Problems" - The Notorious B.I.G featuring Diana Ross, Puff Daddy and Mase.
    Last edited by Nitro2015; 03-29-2021 at 11:30 AM.

They don't credit her on WATW because she was just a featured artist with USA for Africa.

Mo' Money, Mo Problems doesn't count a sampled voice unless Diana actually performed on the song with new vocals [[as far as I know, it's Kelly Price interpolating from Diana's song, not Diana herself).

Wikipedia adds in information that is not accurate.

On Billboard, they only count her six solo number ones, the Supremes with 12 are counted separately.

As far as I know, she never held an official record of 18 number ones. Just 6.

But for a time between 1981 and 1988, she did hold the record for the female artist with the most number ones [[Barbra had five) until Whitney Houston, Madonna and Janet Jackson topped her.

Quote Originally Posted by jobeterob View Post
    And this is because she is not named as a vocalist on either song

But she said she did not mind because they paid her a lot of money for the use of I’m Coming Out
    How much does an artist gets paid off a sample especially a song they didn't write? I'm surprised she actually got paid for it since we know only Nile and Bernard wrote the original song.

Midnight, Kelly sings the hook and incidental riffs, but it’s definitely Diana on the sampled bits.

Quote Originally Posted by sansradio View Post
    Midnight, Kelly sings the hook and incidental riffs, but it’s definitely Diana on the sampled bits.
    Yes, it's Diana and she herself said she got paid a lot for it. She could have had credit but those were early days of sampling and she did not choose to take named credit or she would have been given credit for another #1.

As a dj who plays hip hop the release of "mo money " and mc lyte "cold rock a party " sampling upside down was such an exciting period in the hip hop evolution..it was great to hearing the new evolution of musicians giving diana props

Madonna and Whitney both have eleven #1s
    Janet has ten.
    Also DR has 1s on other charts like chain reaction

Quote Originally Posted by daviddh View Post
    Janet has ten.
    Madonna also has uk only 1s such as "la isla bonita" " into the groove " and " true blue "

Madonna also has uk only 1s such as "la isla bonita" " into the groove " and " true blue "
    I think even the ghastly Who's that girl and erm... American Pie also hit no.1 in the UK.

Quote Originally Posted by Bluebrock View Post
    I think even the ghastly Who's that girl and erm... American Pie also hit no.1 in the UK.
    Bluebrock ! I have a soft spot for who's that girl ! But your right about american pie..ghastly is too kind ..a true what was she thinking ? Madge moment..

Bluebrock ! I have a soft spot for who's that girl ! But your right about american pie..ghastly is too kind ..a true what was she thinking ? Madge moment..
    Ha ha! Sorry if i offended you. To be fair it could be regarded as something of a classic when compared to American Pie!

Quote Originally Posted by jobeterob View Post
    Yes, it's Diana and she herself said she got paid a lot for it. She could have had credit but those were early days of sampling and she did not choose to take named credit or she would have been given credit for another #1.
    Diana doesn't own her Motown recording masters though. So I wonder how many royalties as a performer she received from her sampled voice. Most hip-hop recordings don't put the sampled artist as a featured guest. Exceptions include Marvin Gaye and Michael Jackson and they're both deceased.

Quote Originally Posted by daviddh View Post
    Janet has ten.
    If we're gonna play that game, all three of them have number ones on other charts too lol

Whitney has 11 Hot 100 number one singles, 8 Hot R&B number one singles, 9 Hot Adult Contemporary number one singles, 6 Hot Adult R&B Songs and 14 Hot Dance Club Play number one singles.

Janet has 10 Hot 100 number one singles, 14 Hot R&B number one singles and 20 Hot Dance Club Play number one singles.

Madonna has 12 Hot 100 number one singles and 50 Hot Dance Club Play number one singles [[way more than the combined 18 number one songs Diana sang on as a group member and solo artist).

Diana without the Supremes: 6 number one Hot 100 singles, 4 number one Hot Adult Contemporary singles, 5 number one R&B singles and 8 number one Dance Club songs.

And at one time, as I said, Diana Ross once had the most number one pop songs as a SOLO ARTIST on Billboard’s Hot 100 UNTIL Whitney.

Why can't y'all just celebrate that?
    Last edited by midnightman; 04-04-2021 at 11:01 AM.

Also when Love Hangover came out, there was no Dance Club chart [[or as it would be called initially, Hot Disco Action) until August 28, 1976. Love Hangover had already peaked by then.

Love Hangover, however, DID make number one on the Record World disco chart. For some reason, Wikipedia adds that but Record World was its own chart. Billboard was actually slow in adding in a disco chart. It took August of 1976 for Billboard to include a disco chart and by then, Diana would struggle to have another number one until the Boss LP cuts hit number one on Billboard in 1979, which was technically her first number one since at the time, Billboard's dance charts added all LP/album cuts since they played the full album sometimes at discos.
    Last edited by midnightman; 04-04-2021 at 11:03 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by midnightman View Post

As far as I know, she never held an official record of 18 number ones. Just 6.
    In the late 1990's, Billboard would count Diana's #1's as 8 in total: 2 as "Diana Ross & The Supremes", 6 solo [[1 being the duet with Lionel Ritchie).

But if we think carefully, she was the sole lead single of The Supremes, it's her voice all over the 12 #1's of The Supremes.

It's different from Beyoncé and Destiny's Child in this regard.

I wish Billboard would count Diana's official #1's as 18 in total. It would be the fair thing to do.

But if they want to be so rigorous, at least they would have to count 8 #1's as they did in the 90's. It's her name "Diana Ross" out there in Love Child and Someday We'll Be Together.
    Last edited by Nitro2015; 04-04-2021 at 12:04 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Nitro2015 View Post
    In the late 1990's, Billboard would count Diana's #1's as 8 in total: 2 as "Diana Ross & The Supremes", 6 solo [[1 being the duet with Lionel Ritchie).

But if we think carefully, she was the sole lead single of The Supremes, it's her voice all over the 12 #1's of The Supremes.

I wish Billboard would count Diana's official #1's as 18 in total. It would be the fair thing to do.

But if they want to be so rigorous, at least they would have to count 8 #1's as they did in the 90's. It's her name "Diana Ross" out there in Love Child and Someday We'll Be Together.
    Billboard editors do it independently but Billboard itself doesn't add it and has never done so. It would've been unfair to do so. Then you'd have to say Smokey Robinson had a number one pop song with Tears of a Clown alongside the Miracles, you know what I mean?

Adding that would be controversial cause then you'd have Michael Jackson stans saying "well in that case, MJ should have the four J5 records counted to his total too" even though the Jackson 5/Jacksons never had a name change.

Even with the name change, it was still fully credited to the Supremes despite its history.

Quote Originally Posted by Nitro2015 View Post

Billboard Hot 100 #1's is the one most of the American public refer to. Diana's voice indeed sold 18 #1's [[also credit to Motown producers, writers & musicians!).

Beatles 20 #1's *
    Mariah Carey 19 #1's
    Elvis 18 #1's
    Diana Ross [[+ DRATS, Supremes) 18 #1's [[not including We Are The World)
    Michael Jackson [[+J5) 18 #1's [[including We Are The World)
    Rihanna 14#1's
    Madonna 12#1's
    Whitney Houston 11 #1's
    Janet Jackson 10 #1's
    Stevie Wonder 10 #1's [[including That's What Friends Are For, but not including We Are The World)

*Of course, Paul McCartney, John Lennon, George Harrison & Ringo Starr also all had solo #1's.
    Last edited by lucky2012; 04-04-2021 at 12:44 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by lucky2012 View Post
    Billboard Hot 100 #1's is the one most of the American public refer to. Diana's voice indeed sold 18 #1's [[also credit to Motown producers, writers & musicians!).

Beatles 20 #1's *
    Mariah Carey 19 #1's
    Elvis 18 #1's
    Diana Ross [[+ DRATS, Supremes) 18 #1's [[not including We Are The World)
    Michael Jackson [[+J5) 18 #1's [[including We Are The World)
    Rihanna 14#1's
    Madonna 12#1's
    Whitney Houston 11 #1's
    Janet Jackson 10 #1's
    Stevie Wonder 10 #1's [[including That's What Friends Are For, but not including We Are The World)

*Of course, Paul McCartney, John Lennon, George Harrison & Ringo Starr also all had solo #1's.
    They don't add the Beatles number ones to their individual records or the Jackson 5/Jacksons to MJ and Jermaine's. Why would they do that to Diana?

Most of the Supremes number ones belong to Florence and Mary as much as it belonged to Diana...

Also, We Are the World hasn't been added to MJ and Lionel's list of number ones either.

Quote Originally Posted by midnightman View Post
    They don't add the Beatles number ones to their individual records or the Jackson 5/Jacksons to MJ and Jermaine's. Why would they do that to Diana?

Most of the Supremes number ones belong to Florence and Mary as much as it belonged to Diana...
    I'm not saying they [[Billboard) or anyone should do anything. I'm just saying Diana's voice, as Nitro2015 put it, "is all over the 12#1's). The Beatles, I think, had clearly more a total group sound on most of their records [[Yesterday, Hey Jude, Let It Be & Long & Winding Road being prominent exceptions).

[[Also, I myself added We Are The World to MJ's total of 18 #1's, and rightfully so given his contribution).
    Last edited by lucky2012; 04-04-2021 at 06:10 PM.