[REMOVE ADS]

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Nope..don't like it

NOW BEFORE WE BEGIN,LET ME STATE ONE LITTLE THING...THIS IS JUST A FUN QUESTION..[because i know that it don't take much to light a spark over here,hehe]NOW THE QUESTION OF THE DAY IS THIS-WHAT'S THE ONE SONG BY MOTOWN ARTIST THAT YOU CAN'T STAND TO HEAR? YOU CAN LIST AS MANY ARTIST AS YOU WANT BUT ONLY ONE SONG PER...BAREBACK[THE TEMPS]..DOWN TO EARTH[STEVIE WONDER]..HOLD ON LONG AS I CAN[THE MARVELETTES]..LIVE WIRE[MARTHA AN THE VANDELLAS]..I'VE BEEN GOOD TO YOU[THE MIRACLES]..YESTERDAY'S DREAMS[FOUR TOPS]..HOW CAN I FORGET[MARVIN GAYE]..HOLLY HOLY[JR.WALKER AN THE ALL STARS]..I AM I AM[SMOKEY]..NO MATTER WHAT SIGN YOU ARE[SUPREMES]...WELL THAT'S MY LIST,YOUR TURN AND REMEMBER-WE'RE JUST HAVING FUN!!

Good question Arr&Bee and my entry is-

"I've Never Been To Me"-Charlene

"Walk On By" Kiki Dee
    "Save Me a Star" Supremes
    "Cry" Monitors
    "The First Time Ever I Saw Your Face" Temptations
    "Sweet Talking Guy" Marvelettes

I Just Called To Say I Love You [[Stevie Wonder), Someday We'll Be Together [[Marvelettes), Buttered Popcorn [[Supremes), I Can'tDance To That Music You're Playing [[Martha & The Vandellas), Rockin' Robin [[Michael Jackson), Little Bitty Pretty One [[Jackson 5)

Quote Originally Posted by Motown Eddie View Post
    Good question Arr&Bee and my entry is-

"I've Never Been To Me"-Charlene
    Give this man a prize! This is also my vote. Horrible, horrible song! Motown should be ashamed to have it on their label.

"I've Never Been To Me" by Charlene....can not believe that would be on Motown. I said something about that one time to Mary Wells and she told me "oh, but she is real sweet" I think she met her AT Motown 25.

the Temptations - "Sweet Gyspy Jane"

Lionel Richie - "Dancing on The Ceiling"

The Vandellas 'Love Bug leave My Heart Alone'.

I've always been a great fan of the work of Sylvia Moy & Richard Morris, both individually and as a team, but I've gotta say, the song is probably the least listened to by me, possibly more than any other song from a Hitsville group or artist from that golden period!

Cheers

Paul

Heatwave [[Supremes version), You’re the Loser Now [[Vandellas), Call Me Diana Ross,

Daydream Believer- Four Tops; I can't stand when artists ad lib and add words that aren't in the original- "oh what can it mean to WANT TO BE A daydream believer.." Makes me appreciate all the more the H-D-H-produced Monkees covers on "Reach Out." [[and I wasn't all that crazy about those...)

The Composer- The Supremes ;yowling, crazy wah-wah guitars, set to a music track that VERY spookily sounds as if someone had a vision of what a bad disco song would sound like nearly a decade before disco happened.

I Just Called To Say I Love You- Stevie Wonder ;this isn't even a step backwards when you consider ANY of his music even back in his "Little Stevie Wonder" days is much better than this slice of Velveeta set to a cheap Casio keyboard. This is just plain BAD.

Wichita Lineman- Smokey Robinson & The Miracles; may have been better if it had been recorded in Detroit with the Funk Brothers, but I just never liked this. It took an even bigger nosedive when I heard a version from a nobody on a budget-line Crown Records album and found I liked his version even better than Glen Campbell's.

Quote Originally Posted by motony View Post
    "I've Never Been To Me" by Charlene....can not believe that would be on Motown. I said something about that one time to Mary Wells and she told me "oh, but she is real sweet" I think she met her AT Motown 25.
    And yet, I always thought it bizarre that THIS thing became a hit when a radio DJ started playing it and the switchboard lit up with requests. Was everyone eating hash brownies and toking their brains out every day and night at this time in the 70's?

Reach out and Touch. Diana Ross Yuk yuk yuk
    Jimmy Mack Martha and Vandellas. Maybe I’m just sick to death of hearing it tho I never really liked it all that much
    Stevie Wonder My Cherie Amor. MOR yuk

Limiting myself to singles, I really don't like:

Stevie Wonder "I Just Called to Say I Love You"
    Lionel Richie "Truly"
    Charlene "I've Never Been to Me"
    R. Dean Taylor "Indiana Wants Me"
    Rockwell "Somebody's Watching Me"
    Supremes "My Heart Can't Take It No More"
    Marvelettes "My Daddy Knows Best"
    Martha Reeves & the Vandellas "[[We've Got) Honey Love"

It is amazing how different our tastes and opinions are, even if expected! I'm saying Amen to a lot of "Nopes!" but also stunned at some that I personally love. I really like:

Miracles "I've Been Good to You"
    Martha Reeves & the Vandellas "I Can't Dance to That Music You're Playing"

Just thought of another one-

Debbie Dean - I Cried All Night

How could the artist who recorded "A New Girl" and "Why Am I Loving You" bring us anything quite this bad?

16 Candles - The Jackson 5

Hallelujah Day - Jackson 5

Mama I Gotta Brand New Thing [[Don't Say No) - Jackson 5

pleased to say not that many come to mind.

agree with DANCING ON THE CEILING, ROCKIN' ROBIN , LITTLE BITTY PRETTY ONE, Charlene and Rockwell.

Add:

IF YOU REALLY LOVE ME Stevie Wonder
    DADDY COULD SWEAR Gladys Knight

Quote Originally Posted by WaitingWatchingLookingForAChance View Post

I Just Called To Say I Love You- Stevie Wonder ;this isn't even a step backwards when you consider ANY of his music even back in his "Little Stevie Wonder" days is much better than this slice of Velveeta set to a cheap Casio keyboard. This is just plain BAD.

When this became a big hit, Stevie must've wondered , "Why in the world have I been trying so hard??"

A prime example of the dumbing down of music that occurred in the eighties.

Quote Originally Posted by Boogiedown View Post
    When this became a big hit, Stevie must've wondered , "Why in the world have I been trying so hard??"

They played that song by Stevie and "Easy" [[Like Sunday Morning) by the Commodores so much I could have barfed! LOL! It was proof that the American public at least really went for "Simple Simon" type lyrics and very basic hooks to songs.

"He's My Sunny Boy" - Diana Ross and the Supremes

Take Me In Your Arms [[Rock Me A Little While) - The Isley Brothers

Chained - Marvin Gaye

Broken Hearted - The Miracles

Quote Originally Posted by Boogiedown View Post

So true. And the dumbing down has been going on ever since.

And yet, I always thought it bizarre that THIS thing became a hit when a radio DJ started playing it and the switchboard lit up with requests. Was everyone eating hash brownies and toking their brains out every day and night at this time in the 70's?
    Hash brownies! Hahahahah! Good one!

Agreed!

I switch channels when Marvin’s Grapevine comes on

I like Jimmy Mack and Stevie’s Called to Say and Love Bug and Indiana Wants Me

Not wild about Baby Love after the first “ooh” or It’s The Same Old Song by the Tops or The Way You Do The Things You Do By the Tempts or I’m Still Waiting by Diana

Maybe I heard these songs too many times

Quote Originally Posted by soulster View Post
    Hash brownies! Hahahahah! Good one!

Agreed!
    I just had to say it, ha ha!

Quote Originally Posted by jobeterob View Post
    I switch channels when Marvin’s Grapevine comes on

I like Jimmy Mack and Stevie’s Called to Say and Love Bug and Indiana Wants Me

Not wild about Baby Love after the first “ooh” or It’s The Same Old Song by the Tops or The Way You Do The Things You Do By the Tempts or I’m Still Waiting by Diana

Maybe I heard these songs too many times
    I think that's exactly what it is. A lot of those songs you mention are favorites of mine, but nowadays, I won't listen to them because they've been played right into the ground. Almost makes my stomach ache when they come on the radio. I feel bad saying that but radio kills even the best of songs by over exposure.

I am SHOCKED at some of the ones you guys are listing! How could so many people not like I Can't Dance or I Just Called. And to think even one person would say they dislike Jimmy Mack or Same Old Song is just mind-boggling.

But to each his own I guess. For me the first song that comes to mind is one that I guess would shock others.........I never cared for Papa Was A Rolling Stone. I am sure I could come up with others if I thought about it for a while.

Quote Originally Posted by Motown Eddie View Post
    Just thought of another one-
    I thought that I never saw this or heard it. So I looked up M 1044 and discovered that it was the B side of Breathtaking Guy. I have the 45 and the C&W album, but don't remember the song. Just listened to it on YouTube and now know why I dont remember it

DRATS - The composer
    Diana Ross - Workin overtime
    Supremes - Floy Joy
    Michael Jackson - Rockin Robin
    J5 - Little bitty pretty one
    Gladys and the Pips - Friendship Train
    Temptations - Power
    Smokey and the Miracles - Mickeys Monkey
    Stevie Wonder - Fingertips.

Barbara Randolph - I Got A Feeling

Any and all versions of "Abraham, Martin and John", "What The World Needs Now Is Love", and "It's Your Thing", including the Motown singers who have covered it.
    Last edited by Ngroove; 09-30-2018 at 12:41 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ngroove View Post
    Any and all versions of "Abraham, Martin and John", "What The World Needs Now Is Love", and "It's Your Thing", including the Motown singers who have covered it.
    Ha ha! The ONLY time I heard a version of "What The World Needs Now Is Love" that was kinda enjoyable was when the old TV show, Shindig! had Jackie DeShannon performing a live version of it. The Shindig! house band gave it a really nice sound, not so syrupy. Jackie singing it live, backed by The Blossoms and The Wellingtons sounded much better than ANY recorded version I've ever heard.

Other than that, I could do without that song.

Why are people choosing great songs like LOVE BUG and the four tops version of DAYDREAM BELIEVER to put on this list. Supposed to put less quality songs like MY GIRL

Someone above mentioned Marvin's Grapevine. I don't exactly dislike his version but I could never believe it was a bigger hit than Gladys' superb original.

These are all songs I refuse to sit through:

Supremes- My Guy
    Temptations- Papa Was a Rolling Stone
    Marvin Gaye- Ego Tripping Out
    Marvelettes- Twistin Postman
    Gladys and Pips- Friendship Train
    Miracles- Shop Around
    J5- Mama's Pearl
    4 Tops- If I Were a Carpenter

I was a small child at the time and I liked it. I think by the time I was 13 I put "I Just Called" on my list of songs that had the potential to make me homicidal. That list had quite a few songs on it at the time and grew some more over time, but I have found that some of the songs that were previously on the list do not elicit the same negative feelings in me that they once did. In fact, some of them are actually on my "I like" list now. "I Just Called to Say I Love You" however, is not one of them. Song still makes me cringe. I'd rather listen to Little Lisa singing "Dr. Feelgood", and I think all of her songs are on my hate list.

I think that's exactly what it is. A lot of those songs you mention are favorites of mine, but nowadays, I won't listen to them because they've been played right into the ground. Almost makes my stomach ache when they come on the radio. I feel bad saying that but radio kills even the best of songs by over exposure.
    Yeah that happens. I don't particularly care for songs like "Baby Love", "I Can't Help Myself", "My Girl", "I Heard It Through the Grapevine", because they've been played to death. Mind you these songs were hits when my parents were children, so it's not like I was around to hear them when they were constantly being spun. But even in listening to oldies stations or hearing music in movies, tv shows and commercials, songs like these get overexposed and a potential result is that they become difficult for some people to listen to. On the other hand, sometimes it doesn't matter that a song is overexposed. For whatever reason it never loses the ability to bring me joy. "Where Did Our Love Go", "You Can't Hurry Love", "Get Ready", "How Sweet It Is", "Lets Get It On", "Aint No Mountain High Enough", "Midnight Train to Georgia" [[not Motown but Motown), all songs that have been overplayed yet I still never tire of listening.

I think there's a generation of people who might argue that the "dumbing down" of music was happening when folks were singing "daddy is sleepin' and mama ain't around we're gonna twist twist twistin till we tear the house down" or "we're gonna dig potatoes, we're gonna pick tomatoes" or "ABC, easy as 1-2-3, simple as do-re-mi". Personally I don't believe any decade has a lock on "dumb" music or great music.

Quote Originally Posted by RanRan79 View Post
    I was a small child at the time and I liked it. I think by the time I was 13 I put "I Just Called" on my list of songs that had the potential to make me homicidal. That list had quite a few songs on it at the time and grew some more over time, but I have found that some of the songs that were previously on the list do not elicit the same negative feelings in me that they once did. In fact, some of them are actually on my "I like" list now. "I Just Called to Say I Love You" however, is not one of them. Song still makes me cringe. I'd rather listen to Little Lisa singing "Dr. Feelgood", and I think all of her songs are on my hate list.
    Good Lord...
    "...list of songs that had the potential to make me homicidal."

Sometimes you read something and it just hits you in the gut in a way where all of a sudden, you're laughing like mad and can't stop. Then I read further on and laughed even more...and I don't know why, because I actually like Little Lisa- but that last sentence just pushed me over the cliff- and right off of my chair.

It's like when my brothers and I are hanging out and one of us will says something that, for whatever reason, just tickles you to where you laugh non-stop for a good 20 minutes or so...then you start all over again.

For once, a Sunday is ending on a wonderfully note!

Yeah that happens. I don't particularly care for songs like "Baby Love", "I Can't Help Myself", "My Girl", "I Heard It Through the Grapevine", because they've been played to death. Mind you these songs were hits when my parents were children, so it's not like I was around to hear them when they were constantly being spun. But even in listening to oldies stations or hearing music in movies, tv shows and commercials, songs like these get overexposed and a potential result is that they become difficult for some people to listen to. On the other hand, sometimes it doesn't matter that a song is overexposed. For whatever reason it never loses the ability to bring me joy. "Where Did Our Love Go", "You Can't Hurry Love", "Get Ready", "How Sweet It Is", "Lets Get It On", "Aint No Mountain High Enough", "Midnight Train to Georgia" [[not Motown but Motown), all songs that have been overplayed yet I still never tire of listening.
    I wonder what it is- because most of those songs are very much the same for me. I can hear them a million times and they always sound fresh. "Where Did Our Love Go" is a real head-scratcher for me though. It's almost so bare-bones that it's brilliant. I'll play that thing over and over and it always sounds amazing. While I got worn out quickly on "I Can't Help Myself", "It's The Same Old Song" is another one that only God knows why I never get tired of it.

Who knows why some things have such staying power? There's no real rhyme or reason to it.

I think there's a generation of people who might argue that the "dumbing down" of music was happening when folks were singing "daddy is sleepin' and mama ain't around we're gonna twist twist twistin till we tear the house down" or "we're gonna dig potatoes, we're gonna pick tomatoes" or "ABC, easy as 1-2-3, simple as do-re-mi". Personally I don't believe any decade has a lock on "dumb" music or great music.
    You've got a point there. The Rodgers and Hart song, "Lover" is pretty darn basic too, when you get right down to it. I'm sure the parents were Hatin' On The Hits back then too.

Quote Originally Posted by Ngroove View Post
    I adore Marvin's version of "Abraham, Martin and John", but its different strokes for different folks i guess.

Good Lord...
    "...list of songs that had the potential to make me homicidal."

Sometimes you read something and it just hits you in the gut in a way where all of a sudden, you're laughing like mad and can't stop. Then I read further on and laughed even more...and I don't know why, because I actually like Little Lisa- but that last sentence just pushed me over the cliff- and right off of my chair.

It's like when my brothers and I are hanging out and one of us will says something that, for whatever reason, just tickles you to where you laugh non-stop for a good 20 minutes or so...then you start all over again.

For once, a Sunday is ending on a wonderfully note!
    Ha! Glad I could give you a good laugh Waiting. I frequently get good laughs reading the various postings on SD. A lot of writers we have here that have a way with words.

But yeah, Little Lisa just irks the hell out of me. And the idea of her covering one of the Queen's masterpieces like "Dr. Feelgood" is enough to send me over the edge. Yet I'd take that over "I Just Called". Interesting to note, Diana Ross sang "I Just Called to Say I Love You" on the Academy Awards in 85 and she actually made me like her version. It still had a cheesy backing but I think the vocal she gave was superb. Funny, but at a point she asks the audience to sing a long and they were basically like "nope, we hate this crappy song". And of course being an entertainer who feeds off of her audience, she tells them to clap along at least, which they do...barely. Nobody was there for that song that night. Lol

I wonder what it is- because most of those songs are very much the same for me. I can hear them a million times and they always sound fresh. "Where Did Our Love Go" is a real head-scratcher for me though. It's almost so bare-bones that it's brilliant. I'll play that thing over and over and it always sounds amazing. While I got worn out quickly on "I Can't Help Myself", "It's The Same Old Song" is another one that only God knows why I never get tired of it.

Who knows why some things have such staying power? There's no real rhyme or reason to it.
    Even as a kid I always liked "Same Old Song" more than "I Can't Help Myself". I tend to be a bigger fan of the Tops' lesser known singles like "Loving You Is Sweeter Than Ever" and "Without the One You Love" more than the big hits. "Where Did Our Love Go" is a very simple song. Everything about it uncomplicated: the band, the lyrics, the lead vocal, the background vocal, yet it all comes together to make a perfect song, IMO. I never get sick of that one. On the flip, I'm not fond of "Stop In the Name of Love" at all. The song just annoys me, as great as I know the song is. So yeah, there's no rhyme or reason. We just love what we love.

Quote Originally Posted by Bluebrock View Post
    I adore Marvin's version of "Abraham, Martin and John", but its different strokes for different folks i guess.
    Yeah, but it's Marvin. What's not to like?

"Stuck on You" - Smokey and the Miracles

The Commodores - "Still"
    Diana Ross - "One Love in My Lifetime"
    High Inergy - "Skate to the Rhythm"