[REMOVE ADS]

Question for Keith Hughes- The Lewis Sisters "My World Is Crumbling"

Years ago, a collector made me a tape of "rare Motown" and it included a version of The Lewis Sisters composition, "My World Is Crumbling". It was recorded in Detroit with The Funk Brothers, it was easily the best thing by The Lewis Sisters at Motown...and it was incomplete. Do you know if this song is in the vaults in its entirety? The music track alone is one of the most incredible performances I ever heard.

Quote Originally Posted by WaitingWatchingLookingForAChance View Post
    Years ago, a collector made me a tape of "rare Motown" and it included a version of The Lewis Sisters composition, "My World Is Crumbling". It was recorded in Detroit with The Funk Brothers, it was easily the best thing by The Lewis Sisters at Motown...and it was incomplete. Do you know if this song is in the vaults in its entirety? The music track alone is one of the most incredible performances I ever heard.
    My World Is Crumbling [[Helen Lewis Mastor-Kay Lewis Miller) published Jobete 01-Dec-66
    Brenda Holloway; recorded L.A., completed by 06-Mar-68 ; produced by Hal Davis
    03-Jun-02;CD [[M): Motown 544 619 2 A Cellarful Of Motown! [UK]

Quote Originally Posted by booty View Post
    My World Is Crumbling [[Helen Lewis Mastor-Kay Lewis Miller) published Jobete 01-Dec-66
    Brenda Holloway; recorded L.A., completed by 06-Mar-68 ; produced by Hal Davis
    03-Jun-02;CD [[M): Motown 544 619 2 A Cellarful Of Motown! [UK]
    Thanks, booty, I have the CD and Brenda's version. Really wanted to know about the Lewis Sisters' version recorded in Detroit.

The Lewis Sisters version you ask about is included here and it appears to be incomplete and starts at 2:40:
    Is this version the same one that you've heard?

Last edited by luckyluckyme; 09-14-2019 at 08:18 PM.

Sounds great to me as I really like the Lewis Sisters.My favourite is "By Some Chance".I only wish that they could have recorded more with the Funks.

No, this is the full version. The one I have had for years cuts out at 1:45. Thanks so much for finding this.

Quote Originally Posted by luckyluckyme View Post
    The Lewis Sisters version you ask about is included here and it appears to be incomplete and starts at 2:40:
    Is this version the same one that you've heard?

Yes, this is the version I was talking about- The beginning is intact, but the ending is um, "manufactured". No doubt, it's the same version Copely has. This did cut out at the 1:45 mark, but with a bit of creative looping, you get something that sounds a lot less incomplete.

Really wish and hope there is a complete and official version in the vaults yet to be released. Thanks for responding to this. Maybe Keith or someone will see this and weigh in with a bit more background on this one.
    Last edited by WaitingWatchingLookingForAChance; 09-14-2019 at 11:09 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Roger Polhill View Post
    Sounds great to me as I really like the Lewis Sisters.My favourite is "By Some Chance".I only wish that they could have recorded more with the Funks.
    What I find interesting is that Kay and Helen usually recorded in L.A., while "Little" Lisa, Kay's daughter, recorded quite a lot in Detroit with the Funk Brothers.

I bought Lisa's "Within Myself" CD and the booklet included is very revealing. Apparently, Berry was very serious about developing Lisa's career at Motown. There is a snippet of a newspaper article included and Berry saw Lisa along the lines of Shirley Temple. Not so much as an actress, but because Lisa possessed a very natural and innate ability to pick up on songs quickly.

Lisa Miller, herself shares some memories of her time at Motown. I don't get the feeling Lisa was especially looking to be a singer. She just happened to sing a song that nobody else could get the feeling for and everyone was pleasantly surprised at just how well she did. Lisa seems very humble, down to earth and not at all disappointed that she didn't go far at Motown. She also shared memories of one of her last recording sessions and of hanging out with the Gordy kids. One funny part was concerning a recording session where she became bored; she wanted to go out and play and the session was cutting into that! A genuine and very real child with no huge ego.

Quote Originally Posted by copley View Post
    No, this is the full version. The one I have had for years cuts out at 1:45. Thanks so much for finding this.
    Hi Copely, I think we both have the same version. Mine also cuts out at 1:45. I kinda did a loop job with this.

Ah OK, thanks. It sounds good though

Thanks! Let's just hope THE REAL THING shows up sometime in the future, lol!

The Lewis Sisters were certainly a very talented pair of songwriters and I think back up singers on some Brenda Holloway tracks. I do like their "By Some Chance" and love the sax part. All their tracks are quirky enough to be interesting.

BTW I understand that Keith Hughes is poorly. Wishing you well Keith.

Quote Originally Posted by mysterysinger View Post
    BTW I understand that Keith Hughes is poorly. Wishing you well Keith.
    Sad to hear that. I hope Keith feels better soon.

Quote Originally Posted by mysterysinger View Post
    The Lewis Sisters were certainly a very talented pair of songwriters and I think back up singers on some Brenda Holloway tracks. I do like their "By Some Chance" and love the sax part. All their tracks are quirky enough to be interesting.
    "By Some Chance" is a great tune. Bouncy, catchy and just all-out fun to listen to.

I wish a very speedy recovery to Keith Hughes.I hope this is old news and that you are back to full health.