[REMOVE ADS]

Page 49 of 77 FirstFirst ... 39 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 59 ... LastLast
Results 2,401 to 2,450 of 3827

Thread: Remember when?

The only time that I ate pears was when I picked them out of my uncle and aunt's tree in their back yards. Still don't like them but they were good back then. I also remember the cherry tree that we used to climb behind an apartment building two blocks away from my home. I don't eat cherries but those were somehow delicious. There was a mean old many who lived across the alley from us who had an apple tree that was always filled with fruit but he had a chain link fence and never let kids eat any of it. To my recollection, he didn't gather much of it for himself so it was more of a tease than a benefit to him.

To this day, my Mom and Dad [[both in their 80s) raise a small garden along the fence in their back yard that fills their freezer for most of a year with green beans, cabbage and tomatoes. Sometimes they grow green peppers and squash. You'd be shocked how much produce you can grow in a strip that's 30 feet long and two feet wide.

Name:  av-5.jpg
Views: 341
Size:  21.1 KB
    Anyone remember on which street Cappy's Record Mart was located? I remember that Bob Mays' store was on 8 Mile Road. Where was Cap Wortman's? Any old-timers here? Never mind, I remember now that he was on 9 Mile Road.
    Last edited by robb_k; 07-07-2018 at 07:50 AM.

Remember the days when not only did we not use seatbelts,but no[child safety seats]either,just sit the kid on someone's lap and go,haaaaaa the good ol days!

Quote Originally Posted by arr&bee View Post
    Remember the days when not only did we not use seatbelts,but no[child safety seats]either,just sit the kid on someone's lap and go,haaaaaa the good ol days!
    Oh yeah! I can remember my brother Danny and I riding in the front seat of my father's Ford Fairlane one day in 1964. We were coming from the barber shop when my Dad made a turn and the front passenger seat door flew open! He had to reach over while hitting the brakes to grab us to keep us from falling out of the car! LOL!

Hey check this out for some memories:

Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    Oh yeah! I can remember my brother Danny and I riding in the front seat of my father's Ford Fairlane one day in 1964. We were coming from the barber shop when my Dad made a turn and the front passenger seat door flew open! He had to reach over while hitting the brakes to grab us to keep us from falling out of the car! LOL!
    I remember standing up on the front seat of our 65 Impala. My dad told me twice to sit down. The fact that I could stand up without bumping my head gives you an idea of how little I was. I stood up a third time just as somebody cut him off and when he hit the brakes, my little butt flew into the dashboard, giving me one of my many busted lips as a boy. If that happened in 2018, my folks would be locked up for not having me in a child safety seat. Things sure are different now.

BTW: They never had to tell me to sit down in the car again.

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Oz View Post
    I remember standing up on the front seat of our 65 Impala. My dad told me twice to sit down. The fact that I could stand up without bumping my head gives you an idea of how little I was. I stood up a third time just as somebody cut him off and when he hit the brakes, my little butt flew into the dashboard, giving me one of my many busted lips as a boy. If that happened in 2018, my folks would be locked up for not having me in a child safety seat. Things sure are different now.

BTW: They never had to tell me to sit down in the car again.
    That wasn't a good move Jerry. LOL! Luckily you survived, heck we all survived as kids growing up in the 1950, 60s and 70s! Without all of the rules and regulations in place now. Lead paint on toys anyone?

I'll tell you something else,alot of folks were driving with no car in surance too,i remember one of my uncles and another driver nicking each other going in opposite directions,they looked at one another and both took off,no harm no foul,haaaaaaaaaaaa the sixties were crazy!

My Mom made one of these to take to a covered dish dinner [[remember those). She brought about 98% back home. It went in the trash and she never made one of those atrocities again! I think it was full of vegetables. I think they dumped all sorts of things in Jello back in the day. Ewwwww!

Lakeside, I have NEVER heard of a Jello mold with vegetables! LOL My mother use to make them, but it would be with Fruit Cocktail inside. hehehehehehehe!

Lakeside, I have NEVER heard of a Jello mold with vegetables! LOL My mother use to make them, but it would be with Fruit Cocktail inside. hehehehehehehe!
    Let me tell you, Marv...my Mom was not the hit of that party! She also made Jello molds with fruit cocktail. I think she saw an ad/recipe in a magazine and thought she'd give this one a whirl and perhaps stand out. She stood out alright. I think she felt embarrassed, bless her heart. I think she became a little less adventurous after this
    fiasco.

Quote Originally Posted by lakeside View Post
    Let me tell you, Marv...my Mom was not the hit of that party! She also made Jello molds with fruit cocktail. I think she saw an ad/recipe in a magazine and thought she'd give this one a whirl and perhaps stand out. She stood out alright. I think she felt embarrassed, bless her heart. I think she became a little less adventurous after this
    fiasco.
    She was a real mom! God Bless her! Women, mothers in those days seem to all do the same things, read the same type magazines, watched the same soap operas, did their own cooking and laundry and a million other things to keep their families healthy and happy. They took pride in it. They worked very hard.

She was a real mom! God Bless her! Women, mothers in those days seem to all do the same things, read the same type magazines, watched the same soap operas, did their own cooking and laundry and a million other things to keep their families healthy and happy. They took pride in it. They worked very hard.
    And worked hard they did, Marv.

lakeside, i have never heard of a jello mold with vegetables! Lol my mother use to make them, but it would be with fruit cocktail inside. Hehehehehehehe!
    yep-yummmmmmeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!!!

Is anyone old enough to remember when Mom's, Aunt's and Grandma's wore apron's?
    The fancy ones came out on Sundays and holidays. I think those fancy, shear ones
    were more for looks.

The fancy ones came out on Sundays and holidays. I think those fancy, shear ones
    were more for looks.
    Yes, but it seemed everything stopped or changed in 1970 and definitely by 1974 LOL! I know for us it was 1970 when my mom got her job teaching. After that, we ate our share of fish sticks and tater tots! LOL!

Cool

were more for looks.

Views: 287
    Yes, I remember aprons, and my grandmother had a washboard. And, no, I didn't know how to play it. I wasn't "Washboard Robb". But, I did try the harmonica.

Quote Originally Posted by robb_k View Post
    Yes, I remember aprons, and my grandmother had a washboard. And, no, I didn't know how to play it. I wasn't "Washboard Robb". But, I did try the harmonica.
    My granda had a washboard too. Never knew it could played as an instrument. LOL!

My grandma also had a washboard. I still remember her washing machine that had the wringer on it.

My grandma also had a washboard. I still remember her washing machine that had the wringer on it.
    Mine had one like that too

yes, i remember aprons, and my grandmother had a washboard. And, no, i didn't know how to play it. I wasn't "washboard robb". But, i did try the harmonica.
    haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa,robb,you're my hero!

Remember your sisters or cousins[female of course-hehe]sitting in the kitchen getting their hair curled for church or something big,on a saturday night and the whole house smelling like that strong hair stuff[royal crown]that was used back then?

Remember your sisters or cousins[female of course-hehe]sitting in the kitchen getting their hair curled for church or something big,on a saturday night and the whole house smelling like that strong hair stuff[royal crown]that was used back then?
    Oh yeah the "hot comb" My mother and sister would be fighting for an hour before church. LOL!

Remember when mom would iron a ton of clothes and sprinkle water on em to get that sharp crease? I mean that clothes basket would be full.

That and those old hair dryers. I remember my sister and cousins with huge curlers in their hair, shouting at each other while a super loud hair dryer drowned out every sound in that level of the house.

Quote Originally Posted by jerry oz View Post
    that and those old hair dryers. I remember my sister and cousins with huge curlers in their hair, shouting at each other while a super loud hair dryer drowned out every sound in that level of the house.
    haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa,yep.

Remember when mom would iron a ton of clothes and sprinkle water on em to get that sharp crease? I mean that clothes basket would be full.
    Yep, before she got a stream press iron. I was saying to Lakeside, that all mothers in those days pretty did the same thing. The reason I remember what "Lemon Fresh Pledge" is is because of my Mom. She use it on the furniture every week LOL!

They worked hard! Just think if you did all of the stuff they did in one week, you'd feel like you're ready for a hospital bed.

That and those old hair dryers. I remember my sister and cousins with huge curlers in their hair, shouting at each other while a super loud hair dryer drowned out every sound in that level of the house.
    We had one of those in the basement in laundry area. My brother and I, didn't have much hair as little boys thanks to my father's barber. We turned it on and took turns seeing how long we could sit under it before it started to burn your scalp LOL!

Remember these?

Attachment 14444

Remember these?

Attachment 14444
    Yeah, those, wax lips, and candy buttons were the simplest candies in the corner drug store. There was a guy named Pops who had a small convenience store at the end of my Grandma's street [[before there was a phrase "convenience store"). Pops had a Coca Cola cooler that kept soda ice cold. He was the first person that I ever met who refrigerated Reese's Cups by keeping them in the cooler with the pop. To this day, I prefer eating my 'Reesy Cups' cold over room temperature. As a kid, things like that stay with you forever.

YES! And those individual curlers that the girls and women left in the kitchen, smelling from those noxious fumes. And, yes, we had the round, top-opening washer with the ringers on top.

We had a permanent, 2 iron pole, wash line, with 4 wire lines, in our back yard. During summer, we used the four lines as a divider net, and played volleyball and badminton over it. It was located near the fence, and between the fence and the main area of the [[double-lot) backyard, so it wouldn't take away from the room for our almost regulation sized hockey rink. We had a wooden wall between, which acted as the rink's boards. So, both sides of the "volleyball court" were really narrow. It paid to be tall in both volleyball and badminton, to avoid needing to run backwards and crash into the wood walls.

As we shared the dual backyards, we had to share the washlines with my uncle and aunt's family. So we set the 2 poles far apart. So, we probably had one of the longest washlines in history. I wonder if The Guiness book of records existed in 1946?

Does anybody remember getting a blowout back in the day? Like getting a conk, that lye burned like a MF but it made your 'fro pop. And I remember telling the barber that I needed an edge up. Back when I had enough hair to cut. I cut it myself now and I'm arguing with my wife about when it's time to start shaving it.

yeah, those, wax lips, and candy buttons were the simplest candies in the corner drug store. There was a guy named pops who had a small convenience store at the end of my grandma's street [[before there was a phrase "convenience store"). Pops had a coca cola cooler that kept soda ice cold. He was the first person that i ever met who refrigerated reese's cups by keeping them in the cooler with the pop. To this day, i prefer eating my 'reesy cups' cold over room temperature. As a kid, things like that stay with you forever.
    haaaaaaaaaaa,hey jerry i think that every hood in america had a[pops]corner store,haaaaaaaaaa!!

does anybody remember getting a blowout back in the day? Like getting a conk, that lye burned like a mf but it made your 'fro pop. And i remember telling the barber that i needed an edge up. Back when i had enough hair to cut. I cut it myself now and i'm arguing with my wife about when it's time to start shaving it.
    i put some[afro sheen]on my fro and it got as hard as cement,last time i ever used that crap.

i put some[afro sheen]on my fro and it got as hard as cement,last time i ever used that crap.
    LOL. No haircut was complete unless the barber took the paper from around your neck, shook out the cape and sprayed your hair with enough Afro Sheen to give you an asthma attack before using that foot jack to lower the seat. Looking back, going to the barber shop was almost a religious experience for me.

Views: 244
    I was old and wise by the time Afro Sheen came in. I used Dixie Peach pomade to straighten my hair so I could have a pompadour. I felt like my head was a few pounds heavier.

Views: 244
    i was old and wise by the time afro sheen came in. I used dixie peach pomade to straighten my hair so i could have a pompadour. I felt like my head was a few pounds heavier.
    wow now there's a name i haven't heard in awhile,robb do they still make dixie peach??

haaaaaaaaaaa,hey jerry i think that every hood in America had a[pops]corner store,haaaaaaaaaa!!
Views: 243
    Yes. And my father and uncle both had one each, on The South Side of Chicago, and later in South L.A. I worked in both my father's stores. We had Sam Cooke, The O'Jays, many different Blues artists and lots of sports stars come into our Chicago Store, and lots of famous actors, singers and sports stars come into our South L.A. store. Most of The Chitlin' Circuit stars came into both stores, from 1963-1976 or so. Great memories. I used to serve several of them personally, including pushing their shopping carts, including most of the cast of TV's "Amos and Andy". Great memories.

Views: 243
    yes. And my father and uncle both had one each, on the south side of chicago, and later in south l.a. I worked in both my father's stores. We had sam cooke, the o'jays, many different blues artists and lots of sports stars come into our chicago store, and lots of famous actors, singers and sports stars come into our south l.a. Store. Most of the chitlin' circuit stars came into both stores, from 1963-1976 or so. Great memories. I used to serve several of them personally, including pushing their shopping carts, including most of the cast of tv's "amos and andy". Great memories.
    robb,you are the sage of sdf!!

Does anybody remember getting a blowout back in the day? Like getting a conk, that lye burned like a MF but it made your 'fro pop. And I remember telling the barber that I needed an edge up. Back when I had enough hair to cut. I cut it myself now and I'm arguing with my wife about when it's time to start shaving it.

Yep! I got a Blow Out in 1974 from Fez's Barber Shop in Toledo Ohio for my 8th Grade graduation. After that, I would just have girls braid/corn row my hair to make my Afro bigger, fuller. I grew an afro early this year and would only comb it out on weekends, but tame it for work LOL! All gone now, just a fade right now for summer.

wow now there's a name i haven't heard in awhile,robb do they still make dixie peach??
    Dixie Peach is the stuff my grandmother them used. Remember Beaurgamont? It was blue

Dixie Peach is the stuff my grandmother them used. Remember Beaurgamont? It was blue
    Yep. There were a ton of different hair greases back then. I remember when my age group discovered Murray's pomade just about when long afros and jheri curls disappeared and waves started popping up everywhere. I asked my wife if black men's hair has become just as diverse and culturally significant as black women's hair has always been. You have bald heads, afros, uncut madness, waves, fades, dreads, braids and all number of extensions on the brothers. It looks like anything goes.

I remember putting Vitalis in my hair in grade school. It made my hair feel like wire or steel wool LOL!

Yep. There were a ton of different hair greases back then. I remember when my age group discovered Murray's pomade just about when long afros and jheri curls disappeared and waves started popping up everywhere. I asked my wife if black men's hair has become just as diverse and culturally significant as black women's hair has always been. You have bald heads, afros, uncut madness, waves, fades, dreads, braids and all number of extensions on the brothers. It looks like anything goes.
    A few years back, I made this collage of every type of haircut and hairstyle I went through from roughly 1963 as toddler to around 2007. I was amazed at all the changes ,sometimes year to year. My brother hated it when I showed it to him LOL!!!

I remember that the Doctors of Dunk at the University of Louisville started a huge stir by wearing their hair short in 1978. Every brother in my school would follow suit and cut his hair within a year. It blew my mind when I looked back and realized that their hair would be considered relatively long by 2018 standards.

This is me in the Spring of 1976. The hair would reach it's all time "size" a year later in 1977,before it gradually started to come down a bit so that by 1980 it was cut short and slicked back until I almost looked bald LOL!!!

Name:  Marvin Davis 1976 Toledo, Ohio.jpg
Views: 266
Size:  39.5 KB

LOL. You should have taken your friend out for lunch. He looks a little hungry in that picture.

My hair actually reached its all time length about 10 years ago when I let it go just to let it go. It was probably half an inch longer than yours in that photo. Sadly, I am thinning on top now and couldn't do it again even if I wanted to. I wear it about as close as I can cut it now without shaving it. I cut it every three weeks or so.

Name:  av-4.jpg
Views: 356
    It was still around in the 1990s. But, I don't think they make it any more, unless they use it to anchor bricks together!

A few years back, I made this collage of every type of haircut and hairstyle I went through from roughly 1963 as toddler to around 2007. I was amazed at all the changes ,sometimes year to year. My brother hated it when I showed it to him LOL!!!
    Attachment 14450
    Once my full hair came in [[a few months old?) I've always worn my hair the same length, fairly short [[a couple inches).

Since age 6 or so [[last almost 70 years), I've worn the same uniform [[baseball cap, T-shirt, blue jeans, white athletic socks, and sneakers/tennis shoes/trainers). That only differed for very short periods, like the one year I was actually an employee [[an engineering company), where I had to wear a suit everyday. I nipped THAT in the bud, by becoming an independent consultant on 3rd World projects, and working for Native American and First Nation Tribal governments in Canada and USA, all of which allowed me to wear my T-shirt and jeans, except for a day or two of first client meetings.

Of course, in winter in Canada and northern US, I had to wear a few layers and a winter coat over my "uniform". Spending summers in The Netherlands as a youth, I was easily identifiable as a North American, despite speaking Dutch, because of my baseball cap. Or else, people thought I was eccentric at a young age, because absolutely no one else [[except maybe US GIs in Germany) ever wore them. Traveling in Europe as a teenager was the same. Same when I moved to The Netherlands in 1972. Finally, during the early 2000s, men and boys started wearing baseball caps in Europe. But, nobody over 30 did. So, I was still thought of as as an eccentric upon first sight, as old men in Europe would never wear such a thing. Of course, after people met me they found out I was a LOT more eccentric than they even guessed [[but for other reasons ).

Nowadays, even some crotchety old men here wear them, so I don't stand out as much. Now they think I'm just one of a group of eccentric old men, who want to recapture their youths. So, they finally followed me, and I can consider myself, loosely, a trend setter!

LOL. You should have taken your friend out for lunch. He looks a little hungry in that picture.

My hair actually reached its all time length about 10 years ago when I let it go just to let it go. It was probably half an inch longer than yours in that photo. Sadly, I am thinning on top now and couldn't do it again even if I wanted to. I wear it about as close as I can cut it now without shaving it. I cut it every three weeks or so.
    He was not allowed to leave the building! That guy was the property of Mrs. Johnson's, my 10th Grade Biology teacher "and don't you forget it" she use to say LOL!

Again, this was still a little early because I obtained a "Sylvers size Fro'" the next year! LOL! I can still grow it to that length at my age now, although I prefer to keep it really short now of course. My cousin Donnie started thinning so he just shave his close to the scalp. I try to get a haircut every 2 weeks. I was never able to cut my own hair.