[REMOVE ADS]

Why didn't Diana Ross do more films?

Hello, all! I am new here. This is my first day and my first post. I hope you all are well and in the best of spirits.

I wanted to talk about Miss Diana Ross' film career. That is kind of the thing that kind of hurts me that she did not do many films. Does anyone know for certain why she did not do many films? I know behind the scenes she was setting up to produce and star in films, but so many passed her by. I know she was passionate about the Josephine Baker film that did not happen, I know she bought the American rights to the French film, "Diva," Ryan O'Neal reportedly wanted her to do the Bodyguard, etc.

How true is it that she wanted the Lady Chablis role in Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil? We know Steven Spielberg tossed her name in the hat for Shug Avery. Are there any other films she was considered for or that she said she wanted to do? I've also heard something about the Witches of Eastwick. Spill all of the film tea here. I wish she and Mr. Billy Dee Williams would get together for one more film. Our Souls At Night would've been a good film for the two of them had Jane Fonda and Robert Redford not done it. I just need her to do maybe 3 more films. Doesn't seem like she likes doing films that much.

I think her film days are behind her. I always thought she only wanted to do “big” movies, and rejected anything that was not a big budget extravaganza. This was to her peril.

Quote Originally Posted by JLoveLamar View Post
    Hello, all! I am new here. This is my first day and my first post. I hope you all are well and in the best of spirits.

I wanted to talk about Miss Diana Ross' film career. That is kind of the thing that kind of hurts me that she did not do many films. Does anyone know for certain why she did not do many films? I know behind the scenes she was setting up to produce and star in films, but so many passed her by. I know she was passionate about the Josephine Baker film that did not happen, I know she bought the American rights to the French film, "Diva," Ryan O'Neal reportedly wanted her to do the Bodyguard, etc.

How true is it that she wanted the Lady Chablis role in Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil? We know Steven Spielberg tossed her name in the hat for Shug Avery. Are there any other films she was considered for or that she said she wanted to do? I've also heard something about the Witches of Eastwick. Spill all of the film tea here. I wish she and Mr. Billy Dee Williams would get together for one more film. Our Souls At Night would've been a good film for the two of them had Jane Fonda and Robert Redford not done it. I just need her to do maybe 3 more films. Doesn't seem like she likes doing films that much.
    welcome to the forum! glad you're here

I have heard of those more recent roles or rumors. but doesn't mean there wasn't some truth to them. I've also heard Tyler perry has been dying to work with her. and i think Diana likes him but has 0 interest in the movies. i would guess the Madea character is a bit too over the top for her taste. but just my opinion

As for earlier in her career, i think the issue was, during her motown years, she was juggling the demands of her recording career AND the movies. she couldn't simply stop her singing to focus 100% on films. which is why only 3 came out during the decade.

after motown, my guess is that Diana wanted control. the whole first half of the 80s was about Diana establishing herself as her own boss. and not wanting control or direction from others. this is part of why her recording career and relationship with RCA declined. Even though she was firmly established in the "entertainment world" she wasn't firmly established in Hollywood. at least not to call of the shots like she could regarding music or her shows. Being black, being a woman and being 40/being nearly 40 didn't help matters. she wanted to do the Josephine Baker movie but she wanted to also be part of the production team. that's a lot to expect. Especially for what Hollywood would still label as a "niche" film - ie a black film.

@JLoveLamar,

Thanks for joining SDF. We always need some "new blood" around here!

As I recall from back in the day, the relative failure of "The Wiz" was generally blamed as to Diane's film career going into "hiatus." Wasn't her next film after that the made for television film with Brandy [[?), I think it was? I want to say that was nearly 15 years later, though I never have seen that film and I think it got generally good reviews.

She certainly could and should have made more films. Perhaps the grind of movie making didn't appeal to her. Unlike performing, where she can get instant gratification as well as a very healthy pay day, making movies to many non-actors seems to be a slog. I think Richard Harris expressed that once. He wasn't the world's greatest singer, but hit big with the original version of "Macarthur Park" and [[I think) "Didn't We." He once said something along the lines of that when he wanted to put together a song project or album, it would take weeks compared to the months of negotiating for a film role and then he found the constant waiting on set extremely boring and tiresome. He was a good actor and made some decent films [["A Man Called Horse" amongst others).

There are so many roles I could see Diane playing. Today I could see her playing the old Bette Davis role in "The Little Foxes" as the evil dowager who rules her family with an iron fist. So many others as well. It really is a shame because she has such great acting talent.
    Last edited by kenneth; 04-07-2021 at 12:33 PM.

Good points Kenneth

Diana Ross does not take failure well. Despite repeated warnings from Berry Gordy and others she insisted on doing The Wiz. She alone was blamed for what was a collosal failure that lost the studio millions of dollars. After this movie studios were less interested.

There are many reasons why Ross never did another big screen. First, she dislikes sharing billing and wants to be in every scene. And yes she wants control over scripts, costuming, etc and is known to be difficult with behind-the-scene personnel.

Ryan O'Neal almost got Ross to do Bodyguard in the early 80s but Ross refused nude scenes. She made plans to do a Josephine Baker biopic but drug her feet for so many reasons that Lynn Whitfield did it for Showtime.

In 1994 she finally agreed to a TV movie because her career was cooling off and she was basically tired of touring with a husband and two babies as her primary source of income. Out of Darkness was a critical success but did lackluster ratings. She did Double Platinum with Brandy as a means of reaching younger audiences. Her performance was great amid a terrible script. Ratings were better but it is doubtful Ross will ever do another movie. She is of great-grandmother age and Hollywood is run by much younger people who are not going to let her call the shots.

"The Wiz" flopping in the box office is a big reason why her film career hit a permanent halt.

yep had she been a whiz at playing Dorothy , her instincts would've proven her right , and the in-crowd would've been wowed.

Nobody got film contracts out of that project though.

Quote Originally Posted by Boogiedown View Post
    yep had she been a whiz at playing Dorothy , her instincts would've proven her right , and the in-crowd would've been wowed.

Nobody got film contracts out of that project though.
    Which is a real shame because some of the casting was brilliant, such as the three companions played by Ted Ross, Nipsey Russell and of course Michael Jackson. And wasn’t Mabel king the witch? I guess Ross just overshadowed all of them so got blamed for the movies failure. That is also a shame because it took the part away from a young actress who could’ve really done something with it. I don’t know how old Stephanie Mills was at the time, but she was certainly acclaimed in the stage version. I saw it on the West Coast but I don’t think it had the original actors in the leading rules.

want she originally offered the role on "Dynasty" that went to Diahann Carroll ?

Quote Originally Posted by nomis View Post
    want she originally offered the role on "Dynasty" that went to Diahann Carroll ?
    Supposedly Diana was being courted to play a similar character on DALLAS.

No. That part was the brainchild of Diahann Carroll who approached Aaron Spelling with the idea. He liked it.

Quote Originally Posted by midnightman View Post
    "The Wiz" flopping in the box office is a big reason why her film career hit a permanent halt.
    I don’t believe that was the reason. She had many more movie offers. But she was just being too picky or wanted too much control. Every actor has a flop and it doesn’t stop their film career. Even Barbra Streisand had a few flops.

Quote Originally Posted by vgalindo View Post
    I don’t believe that was the reason. She had many more movie offers. But she was just being too picky or wanted too much control. Every actor has a flop and it doesn’t stop their film career. Even Barbra Streisand had a few flops.
    For what I understand Diana was not flexible and always wanted top-billing. She could easily have had a successful movie career as Cher did, but unlike Cher, she wasn't willing to be the costar or to relegate control. And after The Wiz flopped it became harder for her to do a movie in her own terms.

Deep down, I think Diana wasn't really interested in a film career. She was already working hard in other areas of entertainment and raising her children. She didn't have the time or the energy nor she needed the money. She earned much more performing live in concert.

Quote Originally Posted by Nitro2015 View Post
    For what I understand Diana was not flexible and always wanted top-billing. She could easily have had a successful movie career as Cher did, but unlike Cher, she wasn't willing to be the costar or to relegate control. And after The Wiz flopped it became harder for her to do a movie in her own terms.

Deep down, I think Diana wasn't really interested in a film career. She was already working hard in other areas of entertainment and raising her children. She didn't have the time or the energy nor she needed the money. She earned much more performing live in concert.
    Agree. When performing live on the stage she was fully in control and use to glowing reviews. Making movies is a bit of a lottery.
    That aside, from what she has revealed in the past, i don’t think she found the filming process particularly fun or interesting.
    Not getting to make Naked At The Feast appears her only regret.

its important to note that in the time period of the 70s when Diana was making films - and the 80s for that matter - there were just not that many roles being given to black women..

Quote Originally Posted by BayouMotownMan View Post
    Good points Kenneth

Diana Ross does not take failure well. Despite repeated warnings from Berry Gordy and others she insisted on doing The Wiz. She alone was blamed for what was a collosal failure that lost the studio millions of dollars. After this movie studios were less interested.

There are many reasons why Ross never did another big screen. First, she dislikes sharing billing and wants to be in every scene. And yes she wants control over scripts, costuming, etc and is known to be difficult with behind-the-scene personnel.

Ryan O'Neal almost got Ross to do Bodyguard in the early 80s but Ross refused nude scenes. She made plans to do a Josephine Baker biopic but drug her feet for so many reasons that Lynn Whitfield did it for Showtime.

In 1994 she finally agreed to a TV movie because her career was cooling off and she was basically tired of touring with a husband and two babies as her primary source of income. Out of Darkness was a critical success but did lackluster ratings. She did Double Platinum with Brandy as a means of reaching younger audiences. Her performance was great amid a terrible script. Ratings were better but it is doubtful Ross will ever do another movie. She is of great-grandmother age and Hollywood is run by much younger people who are not going to let her call the shots.
    Why did Barry Gordy try to warn her about The Wiz?

Have the people behind the scenes of the films said Diana is difficult to work with, or is this tabloid stuff?

What do you mean she dug her feet in regards to the Josephine Baker story? She did an interview where she said the script was ready, there was a director in place, and they were ready to shoot a few months down the road. She said on Larry King Live she was disappointed she was not asked to do the HBO version of the film Lynn did, but two breaths later said she was not happy with the film. Larry cut her off so she could not elaborate. Do you guys think that maybe because she insisted it be a feature film that might have hurt her? She also said in an interview that it would be an expensive film, so someone would have to really believe in it.

She did sign the deal to produce and star in films for television in 1993, which is how we got Out of Darkness a year later, and Double Platinum four years later.

I need at least one more film from Miss Ross.

its important to note that in the time period of the 70s when Diana was making films - and the 80s for that matter - there were just not that many roles being given to black women..
    True, but isn't that why she was taking classes to learn to produce films and get funding for them? She said she did not want to sit and wait for a role. She wanted to not be a victim.

Have the people behind the scenes of the films said Diana is difficult to work with, or is this tabloid stuff?

What do you mean she dug her feet in regards to the Josephine Baker story? She did an interview where she said the script was ready, there was a director in place, and they were ready to shoot a few months down the road. She said on Larry King Live she was disappointed she was not asked to do the HBO version of the film Lynn did, but two breaths later said she was not happy with the film. Larry cut her off so she could not elaborate. Do you guys think that maybe because she insisted it be a feature film that might have hurt her? She also said in an interview that it would be an expensive film, so someone would have to really believe in it.

She did sign the deal to produce and star in films for television in 1993, which is how we got Out of Darkness a year later, and Double Platinum four years later.

I need at least one more film from Miss Ross.
    When she couldn’t get the financing or backing for the Josephine Baker project for the big screen. She turned to television. It was announced that Ted Turner from TNT network agreed to finance and make the movie with Diana Ross. There was even a press conference. But HBO put out the Lynn Winfield movie and it killed the TNT project.

Quote Originally Posted by vgalindo View Post
    When she couldn’t get the financing or backing for the Josephine Baker project for the big screen. She turned to television. It was announced that Ted Turner from TNT network agreed to finance and make the movie with Diana Ross. There was even a press conference. But HBO put out the Lynn Winfield movie and it killed the TNT project.
    The television undertaking was at the beginning of the 90s. At the start of it. After the HBO Josephine Baker version came out, Diana stated that they were still interested in doing the television version. Around the time of Out Of Darkness promo, she set her sights back to making it a feature film, but she said it would be very expensive and she would have to find backers that were as passionate about it as she was.

Berry tried to warn her that the role of Dorothy had been played, very successfully, by a teenage Stephanie Mills, on stage and that audiences wouldn't easily accept a much older actress.

Without Diana getting her own way, I imagine the Dorothy role might have gone to Mills or another up-and-coming youngster such as Irene Cara. Also, their fees would probably have been much less than those of Miss Ross.

Diana playing Dorothy in "The Wiz" is much akin to Joan Crawford taking over Christina's role in that soap opera.

Now, I'd like to see Diana in a remake of "Baby Jane", as the BLANCHE character. Still beautiful, but past her prime. She'd never go for it, playing an "aged" star, but I think it'd be a perfect role.

One project that never got off the ground that I would have loved to have seen was the Valaida Snow biopic, tentatively titled Hot Snow. Snow had such a colorful life, however brief and tragic; with the right script and direction, this could have been a major event. What fun it would have been to see Diana letting loose on trumpet! I seriously wish someone would pick up this property about this truly unsung trailblazer with a really solid actor in the title role.

Quote Originally Posted by marybrewster View Post
    Diana playing Dorothy in "The Wiz" is much akin to Joan Crawford taking over Christina's role in that soap opera.
    I think that's a tad bit of a stretch 🤣. I think we can just say Dorothy was 26ish in The Wiz

Quote Originally Posted by Nitro2015 View Post

She was offered a role in The Witches of Eastwick but refused to be part of a film where she wasn't the star.

You could count the number of roles black actresses got by one hand to be honest.

I think that's a tad bit of a stretch 🤣. I think we can just say Dorothy was 26ish in The Wiz
    Lol. Okay, maybe that was a little dramatic. But.....

Quote Originally Posted by marybrewster View Post
    Lol. Okay, maybe that was a little dramatic. But.....
    I tried to find on YouTube clips of Joan Crawford when she substituted for her daughter in “The Secret Storm” but it seems the existing audio only. The still photos from her appearance are not flattering, to say the least. I like Crawford in some of her movies but she could really chew up the scenery if the Director didn’t manage her. Supposedly, her daughter didn’t know she was going to sub for her until it was too late. That seems kind of hard to believe, but who knows?
    Last edited by kenneth; 04-14-2021 at 06:04 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by kenneth View Post
    I tried to find on YouTube clips of Joan Crawford when she substituted for her daughter in “The Secret Storm” but it seems the existing audio only. The still photos from her appearance are not flattering, to say the least. I like Crawford said n some of her movies but she could really chew up the scenery if the Director didn’t manage her. Supposedly, her daughter didn’t know she was going to sub for her until it was too late. That seems kind of hard to believe, but who knows?
    Kenneth - Christina writes in "Mommie Dearest" that she was recovering in hospital when she learned her mother was filling in for her on "The Secret Storm" sadly no video seems to exist of her apperances.. Bob Thomas writes in his biography on Crawford that was clearly drunk on the show however someone else has said that it wasnt that visible..I love the scene in Mommie Dearest about this where Dunaway as Crawford makes her co star light up her cigarette just like a Crawford Movie !...The Supremes were on a USO charity bill together with Joan in 67 or 68 wasnt it at Madison Square ?..I wonder if the Supremes met the formidable Crawford that evening..

@nomis,

Thanks for the information. It is a fascinating story.

I remember once, I must’ve been maybe five or six years old, and my mother was watching Joan Crawford on one of those afternoon talk shows like Mike Douglas or Merv Griffin. Crawford was pouring Pepsi for everybody in champagne glasses and my mother said “Oh my goodness she’s drunk!“ I remember my sister asking her how could she know such a thing, and my mother just said something like “oh she had a few before she came out on stage. I can tell!“ I find that hilarious now thinking back on it and wonder if it were true.

Quote Originally Posted by kenneth View Post
    @nomis,

Thanks for the information. It is a fascinating story.

I remember once, I must’ve been maybe five or six years old, and my mother was watching Joan Crawford on one of those afternoon talk shows like Mike Douglas or Merv Griffin. Crawford was pouring Pepsi for everybody in champagne glasses and my mother said “Oh my goodness she’s drunk!“ I remember my sister asking her how could she know such a thing, and my mother just said something like “oh she had a few before she came out on stage. I can tell!“ I find that hilarious now thinking back on it and wonder if it were true.
    Crawfords alcoholism was well known in the industry for decades,particulary in the late 50s and thru the 1960s when she did a huge amount of tv shows sometimes that drinking was apparent, she appeared sozzled once at an early Golden Globes Awards show and presenting an award she said on stage to her peers "How do ya like these globes ?? " and made a gesture grabbing her breasts !.. hardly the matronly image she had acquired by the 60s.. a young Jack Nicholson was in the audience had has told that story many times..
    By 1970 or 71 she had a serious fall in her apartment and totally gave up her beloved vodka..just like that and didnt drink again until her death.. which shows the incredible sheer will power that she was known for

Kenneth - she guest hosted the Mike Douglas show for a whole week once in her heavy drinking phase so your mother was no doubt correct.

How true is it that she wanted the Lady Chablis role in Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil? .
    You can not be serious? Lady Chablis was THE LADY CHABLIS and was from Savana. Why the hell would she even think about being cast in that roll. Good god gurl get a grip.

Quote Originally Posted by BayouMotownMan View Post
    No. That part was the brainchild of Diahann Carroll who approached Aaron Spelling with the idea. He liked it.
    Yes, though I never watched the show I do recall seeing Carroll tell the story of approaching Spelling, saying 'I want to be the first Black b!t&h on network TV".

Crawfords alcoholism was well known in the industry for decades,particulary in the late 50s and thru the 1960s when she did a huge amount of tv shows sometimes that drinking was apparent, she appeared sozzled once at an early Golden Globes Awards show and presenting an award she said on stage to her peers "How do ya like these globes ?? " and made a gesture grabbing her breasts !.. hardly the matronly image she had acquired by the 60s.. a young Jack Nicholson was in the audience had has told that story many times..
    By 1970 or 71 she had a serious fall in her apartment and totally gave up her beloved vodka..just like that and didnt drink again until her death.. which shows the incredible sheer will power that she was known for

Kenneth - she guest hosted the Mike Douglas show for a whole week once in her heavy drinking phase so your mother was no doubt correct.
    Oh my god. Crawford didn't say that a the Golden Globes. Bette Midler made that up when she won her 1st Golden Globe. Even if Crawford did say that .... what a scream.

Quote Originally Posted by REYnoldo Chavez View Post
    Oh my god. Crawford didn't say that a the Golden Globes. Bette Midler made that up when she won her 1st Golden Globe. Even if Crawford did say that .... what a scream.
    Crawford said it first ..Milder was referencing Crawfords original speech.

Joan's globes

Crawford said it first ..Milder was referencing Crawfords original speech.

That is so funny! Good 'ol Pepsi w/ Vodka Joan!

That is so funny! Of course, if my mom were still with us, she wouldn’t be surprised at all. She always thought she was right about everything! Thanks for the comment.

Quote Originally Posted by REYnoldo Chavez View Post
    That is so funny! Good 'ol Pepsi w/ Vodka Joan!
    Name:  A8BE46DD-10C3-4B70-BA3D-AD2364CE10BF.jpg
Views: 853
Size:  12.8 KB

Paging Dr. Bluebook. Why didn't Miss Ross do more films? She said on her BET interview that she takes lots of meetings on films. She had just bought the rights to the film "Diva".

Paging Dr. Bluebook. Why didn't Miss Ross do more films? She said on her BET interview that she takes lots of meetings on films. She had just bought the rights to the film "Diva".
    She had numerous offers from the 70's right through to the end of the 90's, but she was unwilling to be anything less than the star of the show. No supporting roles for Ms Ross! It was such a pity because she could have stolen the show with some meaty supporting roles. She certainly had the talent to enjoy a stellar acting career had she been so inclined, but in all honesty it would always have played a poor 2nd to music in her career priorities.

I always appreciate your responses, Mr. Bluebrock. You hold no punches back and I appreciate your honesty. Do you remember any of the film offers she got? Do you recall her ever reading film scripts? Can you go a bit into depth about the Josephine Baker story? What about Diva? Couldn't Mr. Gordy talk her into a great supporting role?

I always appreciate your responses, Mr. Bluebrock. You hold no punches back and I appreciate your honesty. Do you remember any of the film offers she got? Do you recall her ever reading film scripts? Can you go a bit into depth about the Josephine Baker story? What about Diva? Couldn't Mr. Gordy talk her into a great supporting role?
    She didn't really talk about it at length. I recall her saying she was offered a role on tv soap Dallas in the late 70's for one season only which she was interested in, but her schedule would not permit it. She also mentioned being offered The Bodyguard many years before Whitney, but the producer wanted it to be more explicit than she was comfortable with. She mentioned Robert Redford and Ryan O'Neal as potential co-stars. She very much wanted to do the Josephine Baker film, but she was unable to raise the necessary finance. I also recall her mentioning in the late 90's a tv movie where she would play a concentration camp inmate. Not sure what became of that idea.
    I cannot recall any others without consulting my journals.
    She didn't really discuss her acting ambitions in any length. Sorry.

Quote Originally Posted by Bluebrock View Post
    She didn't really talk about it at length. I recall her saying she was offered a role on tv soap Dallas in the late 70's for one season only which she was interested in, but her schedule would not permit it. She also mentioned being offered The Bodyguard many years before Whitney, but the producer wanted it to be more explicit than she was comfortable with. She mentioned Robert Redford and Ryan O'Neal as potential co-stars. She very much wanted to do the Josephine Baker film, but she was unable to raise the necessary finance. I also recall her mentioning in the late 90's a tv movie where she would play a concentration camp inmate. Not sure what became of that idea.
    I cannot recall any others without consulting my journals.
    She didn't really discuss her acting ambitions in any length. Sorry.
    Yes, Valaida Snow, the jazz trumpeter/vocalist I mentioned in my earlier post, was the concentration camp survivor.

Quote Originally Posted by Bluebrock View Post
    She very much wanted to do the Josephine Baker film, but she was unable to raise the necessary finance.
    How could this be? I guess maybe because of Mahogany not being a big box office success and The Wiz being a huge flop? Maybe she did not want to be nude on film? Even that Nip shot in Mahogany looks like something she didn't really mean to do, but Mr. Gordy kept it in the film. For the JB Story, there was a shooting date, a script by Jack Briley [[Academy Award Winning writer of Gandhi), a director [[Lewis Gilbert who directed Educating Rita, Alfie, a few Bond films), etc. I know this is a lost dream of hers :[[.

What a joy it would have been to see her with her friend Cher in Witches of Eastwick. I would have loved for her to build up her acting catalog with supporting roles in ensemble films. She has a really quick wit. She would've been GREAT in comedies. Her comedic side is a side I wish the GP could see more of.

I just found THIS

https://youtu.be/RAgeDl-Yaek

That little video of her and Berry Gordy was so cute. She mentions a film with ABC "The Retta Story." Wonder what that was. I'm very interested in watching the film Diva if I can find it. Wonder what happened with that remake.

Having trouble trying to imagine the film that got away ....

I suppose being in a movie with a bunch of hammy actresses pretending to be witches might've worked ? better than nothing ??

Maybe a cartoon voice? Those opportunities are abundant...

Not much of a fan of many movies past 1970 ...and in comparison off-hand can't think of a single Streisand movie I'd go out of my way to watch ...

Adding Josephine Baker would've type cast her.

Hmmm , Ross being the music entertainer of the century is amply satisfactory .......
    Last edited by Boogiedown; 04-21-2021 at 11:06 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Boogiedown View Post
    Having trouble trying to imagine the film that got away ....

I suppose being in a movie with a bunch of hammy actresses pretending to be witches might've worked ? better than nothing ??

Not much of a fan of many movies past 1970 ...and in comparison off-hand can't think of a single Streisand movie I'd go out of my way to watch ...

Adding Josephine Baker would've type cast her.

Hmmm , Ross being the music entertainer of the century is amply satisfactory .......
    I think the witches could've worked for Diana if she played the Susan Sarandon role, or Michelle Pfeiffer's

I'm not the biggest fan of films past the 50's, tbh! I do love Blaxploitation films, though.

I definitely would rather Miss Ross be typecast than no cast. One day I will ask her why she did not do very many films. I mean 5 is just tragic. Especially when you come into it with a bang like she did with LSTB.

Quote Originally Posted by sansradio View Post
    Yes, Valaida Snow, the jazz trumpeter/vocalist I mentioned in my earlier post, was the concentration camp survivor.
    Apologies sans. I did not see your earlier post.

This thread is brought to you by the people in your town who bottle threads like these:
    https://soulfuldetroit.com/showthrea...get-made-today