[REMOVE ADS]

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: You Do It....

Quote Originally Posted by Bluebrock View Post
    It does have it's admirers. Florence has often taken me to task for being less than kind about it! Vgalindo has also expressed his approval of it too.
    It is in my bottom 5 Ms Ross albums, but it is good that some people appreciated it more than i ever could.
    I love this forum for all the opinions and feelings everyone has about her music. You just know she's affected different people in different ways.

Quote Originally Posted by lucky2012 View Post
    I love this forum for all the opinions and feelings everyone has about her music. You just know she's affected different people in different ways.
    I love this forum too. Ms Ross has meant so much to so many people in so many different ways. We do not always get along with each other as well as we perhaps should, but we are all here for the same reason. Long may it continue.

Quote Originally Posted by Ollie9 View Post
    There are some beautiful pics of Diana from that photo shoot. Not sure they used the best one for the cover though. My fave is the one where she is sitting with her knees drawn up.
    I still have the "special les stars de la pop et du rock par les stars the las photo" [stars of pop and rock by the star photographers" issue of the French magazine Photo [[June 1987), which features a 6-page photo spread of pictures that Uwe Ommer took of Diana Ross, from the Ross 1983 and Central Park "jungle" photos, including the "nude" one. I'm still surprised that Ross agreed to have that one published.

Name:  IMG_8790.jpg
Views: 1198
Size:  97.8 KB

Name:  IMG_8791.jpg
Views: 1172
Size:  83.8 KB

I much prefer ross 83 to Swept Away. “Rescue Me and “We Are The Children” being the two prime reasons. The only really memorable songs imo are “Missing You”, “Swept Away” and “Telephone”. “All Of You” is ok, but sounds like it should be on another album.
    four out of ten from me.
    Aww man, "Rescue Me" was not the song for her. Anybody that had anything to do with that production should have told her "No. NO. NOOOOOO!" The track is actually nice, but Diana didn't have the voice to pull that one off. The track would've needed to be a complete redo in order for it to work.

I also dislike "Nobody Makes Me Crazy". Sounds like a demo. But everything else is cool in my book. Aside from "Rescue" and "Nobody", the tracks go from okay to excellent.

While I can tolerate "Forever Young", it's a surprise [[or maybe not) that Diana didn't go for a gospel sound like how she probably would've recorded it at Motown. She sounds fine enough, but it seems like a perfect song for her to show off on.

Quote Originally Posted by khansperac View Post
    Not to derail, but am I the only one here who doesn’t hate Silk Electric? Perhaps we can discuss another time, another thread.
    No, I don't hate it. I'm just not surprised that it didn't take her musical legacy up a notch. And there's a lot different I would have done to it. But I think song for song, I probably do enjoy it more than Ross83.

Quote Originally Posted by lucky2012 View Post
    Absolutely. If anything, as it relates to Diana, I've learned that just about everything she's ever recorded has given someone​ some pleasure, and continues to do so. I'd say that's great for her legacy.

It does have it's admirers. Florence has often taken me to task for being less than kind about it!
    I certainly disagree with you but would never take you to task - I respect your opinion.

Still In Love
    In Your Arms
    Love Lies

imo at least top 20 UK hits.

Other great tracks - Who, Anywhere You Run To.

And my personal least favourite track - Muscles!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Jaap View Post
    I still have the "special les stars de la pop et du rock par les stars the las photo" [stars of pop and rock by the star photographers" issue of the French magazine Photo [[June 1987), which features a 6-page photo spread of pictures that Uwe Ommer took of Diana Ross, from the Ross 1983 and Central Park "jungle" photos, including the "nude" one. I'm still surprised that Ross agreed to have that one published.

Name:  IMG_8790.jpg
Views: 1198
Size:  97.8 KB

Name:  IMG_8791.jpg
Views: 1172
Size:  83.8 KB
    Thank you so much for posting this Jaap. I’m amazed that i never knew of this nude pic. I’m also surprised she allowed it published. Diana’s body was most certainly in great shape during that period. Perhaps they should have used the shot for the cover of the album. Can you imagine the amount of publicity it would have generated.

Quote Originally Posted by RanRan79 View Post
    Aww man, "Rescue Me" was not the song for her. Anybody that had anything to do with that production should have told her "No. NO. NOOOOOO!" The track is actually nice, but Diana didn't have the voice to pull that one off. The track would've needed to be a complete redo in order for it to work.

I also dislike "Nobody Makes Me Crazy". Sounds like a demo. But everything else is cool in my book. Aside from "Rescue" and "Nobody", the tracks go from okay to excellent.
    I never thought I’d live to see the day when “We Are The Children Of The World” would be described as cool.

I never thought I’d live to see the day when “We Are The Children Of The World” would be described as cool.
    We are the children is hellish..the fact she made a music video for it beggas belief

Quote Originally Posted by nomis View Post
    We are the children is hellish..the fact she made a music video for it beggas belief
    It’s definitely not a Ross classic, though i’m sure someone will find it terrific lol. At least the kids appear to be having a good time. I’ve forgotten the reason why this video was made. Has anyone any knowledge.

I bought the Swept Away album in 1984. I played it often I am sure. But, I have zero memory of the album and Children of the World. I just played Children on YouTube. I do not remember the song at all. It was not good. I am always reluctant to go back into the RCA catalog. IMHO, it belongs to yesterday.
    Last edited by Circa 1824; 04-02-2021 at 07:31 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Circa 1824 View Post
    I bought the Swept Away album in 1984. I played it often I am sure. But, I have zero memory of the album and Children of the World. I just played Children on YouTube. I do not remember the song at all. It was not good. I am always reluctant to go back into the RCA catalog. IMHO, it belongs to yesterday.
    Thats rather an odd comment to make on a Diana Ross/Supremes Forum lol. Why join the forum at all if your only interest is in the current music scene?.
    Last edited by Ollie9; 04-02-2021 at 08:15 AM.

I have little interest in the current music scene. I am talking specifically about the RCA years being a void in my musical enjoyment.

It’s definitely not a Ross classic, though i’m sure someone will find it terrific lol. At least the kids appear to be having a good time. I’ve forgotten the reason why this video was made. Has anyone any knowledge.
    I don't remember an official video. But I remember the program EVENING MAGAZINE [[or PM MAGAZINE depending on your location) did a piece that featured Diana and a group of kids singing the song, juxtaposed with comments from the kids and adults about the joys of childhood. I remember it ending with Diana and the kids playing duck duck goose.

It’s not worse than any Michael Jackson simple songs like « heal the world »

Quote Originally Posted by Albator View Post
    Sorry Albator, but actually I think it is.

Quote Originally Posted by reese View Post
    Thanks for posting reece. Diana’s persona has an almost childlike quality at times. It’s a really nice side of her personality.

Oh but it is. Much worse in my opinion.

Oh but it is. Much worse in my opinion.
    What was she thinking!!.
    It’s strange how “Missing You” never took off in the UK. It most certainly received a lot of radio airplay and was re-promoted twice. Perhaps Diana’s UK popularity being at a low had something to do with it. I remember a radio DJ mentioning that he was perplexed as to it’s slow movement on the pop charts.
    I think had she performed the song on a popular UK television show it’s fate on British soil might have proved very different.

What was she thinking!!.
    It’s strange how “Missing You” never took off in the UK. It most certainly received a lot of radio airplay and was re-promoted twice. Perhaps Diana’s UK popularity being at a low had something to do with it. I remember a radio DJ mentioning that he was perplexed as to it’s slow movement on the pop charts.
    I think had she performed the song on a popular UK television show it’s fate on British soil might have proved very different.
    She wasn't very visual to UK audiences at this time. We had the occasional tour and newspaper/magazine interview, but she had 3 young daughters who quite rightly remained her no.1 priority.
    Missing you could have been huge with better promotion.

She wasn't very visual to UK audiences at this time. We had the occasional tour and newspaper/magazine interview, but she had 3 young daughters who quite rightly remained her no.1 priority.
    Missing you could have been huge with better promotion.
    Missing you failing in the u.k. is perplexing as chain reaction in the u.s...

Missing you failing in the u.k. is perplexing as chain reaction in the u.s...
    “Missing You” unlike “Chain Reaction” did not have the luxury of being played in the clubs.
    As in the UK, the song was doing nothing across the pond until it received the shot in the arm boost of prime time tv exposure. Perhaps a Hi-NRG version was the answer.

In the Netherlands, "Missing You" didn't even chart at all, probably because it was released so late after the album had been released [[sometime early 1985). The "Swept Away" album had done quite well in the Netherlands -- both "Touch by Touch" and "All of You" had been top 10 hits, and the "Swept Away" single had been a minor hit. Releasing "Missing You" so late seems like an afterthought. Interestingly, "Missing You" was included on several 1985 compilation albums, in spite of not charting.

What was she thinking!!.

Each to their own, of course - give me Forever Young over Missing You any day - in fact I think a single Forever Young Diana Ross featuring Eric Clapton would have been big in the UK.

If the UK sales were known they would be probably be higher than you might expect given that it was just outside the top 75 for 8 weeks and was probably knocking about the top 200 nfor 3/4 months.

I really find it weird though - had many of Diana's singles been given the same promotion as Missing You they would have been big but it beggars belief that if they really wanted to a major UK record company couldn't break a record into the top 75 - all I'll say is it's strange.

Quote Originally Posted by florence View Post
    Each to their own, of course - give me Forever Young over Missing You any day - in fact I think a single Forever Young Diana Ross featuring Eric Clapton would have been big in the UK.

If the UK sales were known they would be probably be higher than you might expect given that it was just outside the top 75 for 8 weeks and was probably knocking about the top 200 nfor 3/4 months.

I really find it weird though - had many of Diana's singles been given the same promotion as Missing You they would have been big but it beggars belief that if they really wanted to a major UK record company couldn't break a record into the top 75 - all I'll say is it's strange.
    You may well be right about “Forever Young” florence. I still believe that owing to Diana’s low profile in the UK at the time, the single would have needed tv as well as radio exposure.
    I remember hearing “Missing You” played regularly on the radio at the time of its release.It brings to mind the words of the old adage ‘You can lead a horse to water’.

It seems, Diana wasn't promoted at all in Europe while at RCA. I don't think she made any TV appearances at all. She was on french TV for two TV shows, but she lived in Paris at that time and she was there to talk about Josephine Baker.
    She toured in 1982, 1985 and 89.
    She didn't tour Japan at all during the time of her RCA contract.

In those days, tv and video were of major importances. Sade, Cindy Lauper, Withney Houston, Tina Turner, Donna Summer, even Cher and Madonna did appearances to promote their new albums, mostly lip synching.

But Diana and Barbra Streisand, nothing

Just for the record
    I did like Silk Electric.
    Who
    Love lies
    Anywhere you run to
    Not a huge fav but better than WDFFIL.
    Muscles was good size hit for her and alot of my friends who were not Ross fans liked it.

It seems, Diana wasn't promoted at all in Europe wihile at RCA. I don't think she made any TV appearances at all. She was on french TV for two TV shows, but she lived in Paris at that time and she was there to talk about Josephine Baker.
    She toured in 1982, 1985 and 89.
    She didn't tour Japan at all during the time of her RCA contract.

In those days, tv and video were of major importances. Sade, Cindy Lauper, Withney Houston, Tina Turner, Donna Summer, even Cher and Madonna did appearances to promote their new albums, mostly lip synching.

But Diana and Barbra Streisand, nothing
    I think she was relying on the music videos to promote her release's across europe..she only started appearing on u.k. shows promoting singles from " force " onwards..

I think she was relying on the music videos to promote her release's across europe..she only started appearing on u.k. shows promoting singles from " force " onwards..
    She did "This House 'from Workin' Overtime on the Wogan show. It was my first official engagement with her, and it sure as hell was eventful!

She did "This House 'from Workin' Overtime on the Wogan show. It was my first official engagement with her, and it sure as hell was eventful!
    I never knew that..where you with her for the track date at brixton academy ? ..it's been said on here before.. bluebrock you really should write a book

It seems, Diana wasn't promoted at all in Europe while at RCA.
    Diana Ross came to promote Why Do Fools Fall In Love, at least in the Netherlands. She didn't perform but showed the music video to show those Europeans what "America was like"! I'm sure it helped to make the single "Why Do Fools Fall In Love" Diana's only solo number one in the Netherlands. I vividly remember watching this on tv 40 years ago!

No question music videos had a massive influence.

Why Do Fools Fall In Love was running out of steam in the UK when it eased up from 22-19 but it was enough for the video to be shown on Top Of The Pops. [[Thursday night)

The record's sales exploded on the Friday taking it up from 19-7 in the next chart.

It peaked at #4 selling 78k that week which was a very high sale for that position and was one of Diana's top 5 selling UK singles.

Diana Ross came to promote Why Do Fools Fall In Love, at least in the Netherlands. She didn't perform but showed the music video to show those Europeans what "America was like"! I'm sure it helped to make the single "Why Do Fools Fall In Love" Diana's only solo number one in the Netherlands. I vividly remember watching this on tv 40 years ago!

She also came to the UK during the same promotional visit and appeared on the top rated chatshow Parkinson.

Quote Originally Posted by florence View Post
    No question music videos had a massive influence.

Why Do Fools Fall In Love was running out of steam in the UK when it eased up from 22-19 but it was enough for the video to be shown on Top Of The Pops. [[Thursday night)

The record's sales exploded on the Friday taking it up from 19-7 in the next chart.

It peaked at #4 selling 78k that week which was a very high sale for that position and was one of Diana's top 5 selling UK singles.
    I didn't realise the record took such a big leap following the airing of the video.
    Video's were so important at this time and became even more so as the decade progressed.

I never knew that..where you with her for the track date at brixton academy ? ..it's been said on here before.. bluebrock you really should write a book
    It is 80% completed and has been for around 4 years. It will need fine tuning if it does go to publication.
    My main reason i am hesitating is because if i am to tell the truth it will upset some people. I wanted it to be a warts and all memoir where nothing would be off limits, but there are certain people who are just too dear to me to upset. There are certain ones whom it would be an honour and privilege to expose their appalling behaviour to the world, and it is a case of finding a happy medium.
    Also the advance i would receive is less than my first offer from 5 years ago which indicates demand is not quite what it once was. The financial side of it is not important. I need never work another day in my life and not compromise my standard of living one iota.
    I really do not know how to proceed. I am happy and healthy again and content with my life. We shall see.
    To answer your other question i was not at Brixton due to a prior engagement.
    Thank you for your interest.

Quote Originally Posted by daviddh View Post
    Just for the record
    I did like Silk Electric.
    Who
    Love lies
    Anywhere you run to
    Not a huge fav but better than WDFFIL.
    Muscles was good size hit for her and alot of my friends who were not Ross fans liked it.
    i like those tracks on SE too. overall i'd rate WDFFIL a bit higher than SE solely because of the excessive echo she used on Silk. it's as if they moved the recording studio to the bottom of a well. but it isn't as bad on some tracks. Wonder if she had just found the "echo" button on the engineering controls and was like a kid with a new toy lol

Yes, this one plus 3 tv appearances over two days in France in 84 [[she didn't perform but clips of CP and Pieces of ice were presented). News reports for her 85 tour in France, Netherland, Norway, Danemark and 3 more from Italy.
    Maybe I miss something but I don't think so.

It is 80% completed and has been for around 4 years. It will need fine tuning if it does go to publication.
    My main reason i am hesitating is because if i am to tell the truth it will upset some people. I wanted it to be a warts and all memoir where nothing would be off limits, but there are certain people who are just too dear to me to upset. There are certain ones whom it would be an honour and privilege to expose their appalling behaviour to the world, and it is a case of finding a happy medium.
    Also the advance i would receive is less than my first offer from 5 years ago which indicates demand is not quite what it once was. The financial side of it is not important. I need never work another day in my life and not compromise my standard of living one iota.
    I really do not know how to proceed. I am happy and healthy again and content with my life. We shall see.
    To answer your other question i was not at Brixton due to a prior engagement.
    Thank you for your interest.
    I look forward to reading it..I will one day write about my DJ career..i feel the same about hurting those dear to me..but I want to be as honest as I can ..I certainly wont hold back on those Ive seen exhibit disgusting behaviour thou..

i think if you focus on professional situations [[as opposed to personal) and if you're even handed with the content, i think you both should be ok. even if there are things that are not flattering to individuals. be sure to account for whatever good things a person offered up along with the bad [[assuming there are both lol).

Dreamgirl and CHMR took on the more sensational tone of the 80s. but then when Randy did his later book on Diana, it was much more even. of course there were situations still that weren't flattering to Diana. she's human and has made mistakes. but it also showed a much more kind image of her too.

Quote Originally Posted by sup_fan View Post
    i think if you focus on professional situations [[as opposed to personal) and if you're even handed with the content, i think you both should be ok. even if there are things that are not flattering to individuals. be sure to account for whatever good things a person offered up along with the bad [[assuming there are both lol).

Dreamgirl and CHMR took on the more sensational tone of the 80s. but then when Randy did his later book on Diana, it was much more even. of course there were situations still that weren't flattering to Diana. she's human and has made mistakes. but it also showed a much more kind image of her too.
    Sup Fan- im so glad Randy wrote the third biography..some close to Ross had straightened him out on a few situations and he was able to gather a new perspective on some things..I also think he had matured personally.. CHMR as brilliant as it is - in some sections has a pettiness in parts which does a disservice to him, and the key players he writes about..the best part for me of his last tome is the final 24 hrs of Flo as a Supreme and the events of her birthday..all new information that he didnt have for his two previous works..

i agree about the newest book. some really wonderful additional stories of events and details of things happening.

my favorite part though is the appendix with the details on every album!! i've read that again and again!

i agree about the newest book. some really wonderful additional stories of events and details of things happening.

my favorite part though is the appendix with the details on every album!! i've read that again and again!
    I found that fascinating as well Sup you have a great flair for details as your posts show..in 1993 UK Magazine "Record Collector" had a two part article celebrating Forever/One Woman and discussing what was in the vaults.. I read it again and again years later its pretty much all been released but at the time in the pre internet pre hip o select and before this forum details of the Ross & Supremes unreleased catalog was very very hard to find anything about it..I still have those two articles in my scrapbook

Quote Originally Posted by daviddh View Post
    Swept away
    That's how you start over
    Love will make it right
    You do it
    Pieces of ice
    Missing you
    Let's go up
    Love or loniless
    It's your move
    All of you
    I agree with Ollie9:
    That is an extremely good wish list album david.
    I see you combined Ross'83 with Swept Away.

Since Silk Electric is my least favorite RCA album [to say the very least!], I combined Ross '83 with the few SE tracks I could even listen to:

Let's Go Up
    That's How You Start Over
    Love or Loneliness
    Love Will Make It Right
    You Do It

Muscles
    Pieces of Ice
    Love Lies
    Still In Love
    In Your Arms

I left Swept Away pretty much intact, but I added Up Front and left off Rescue Me and We Are The Children of the World.

Missing You
    Touch By Touch
    Swept Away
    All Of You

Telephone
    Nobody Makes Me Crazy [[Like You Do)
    It's Your Move
    Up Front
    Forever Young

I totally agree. When I first received the book, I was so intrigued by the info in the discography that I ended up reading that section first. And I often go back to it as I find it so interesting.

It's very 80s pop, which I love. Sounds like it should've been the theme to some 80s movie about a group of kids, like The Goonies, or a John Hughes film. Now this is not what I would've wanted from Diana, even as an album cut. But on it's own, I do enjoy the song. It's that 80s pop track that really gets me.

Speaking of 'Dreamgirl', I did a re-read after Mary's passing as a bit of a memorial to her; I was disappointed at just how much of the book is spent in denigrating others as opposed to discussing her own experiences. I know there are those who love the book; this is just my recent reaction.

Quote Originally Posted by PeaceNHarmony View Post
    Speaking of 'Dreamgirl', I did a re-read after Mary's passing as a bit of a memorial to her; I was disappointed at just how much of the book is spent in denigrating others as opposed to discussing her own experiences. I know there are those who love the book; this is just my recent reaction.
    I must re read "dream girl " haven't picked it up in a long time it's annoying I have my stuff in storage and I cant just dip into books which I like to do...I much prefer " supreme faith " thou..I don't know why I find her battle with Motown to keep the supremes afloat and her relationship with pedro gripping.... I have it on audiobook cassette as well and it's nice to have Mary reading it..I'm surprised she didn't do an audiobook for "dream girl " thou.. given it's massive popularity