[REMOVE ADS]

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Jr. Walker & the All Stars Motown 70's output

3 Cd Box Set [[1970's Motown Studio Albums) coming late May from Cherry Red Records [[U.K.)

Sounds promising. BBR Records and Soul Music Records come under Cherry Red I believe

Great News, his 70s lps were great, especially Moody Junior and Hot Shot

Is there a writeup somewhere on this set?

As far as I know, not yet. It's likely forthcoming as at the Cherry Red website
    there is an inactive Jr. Walker & the All Stars arists side tab.

How did you hear about this?

Motown Treasures [[Yahoo Group)

Finally!! Can't wait!

At long.............................................. ......................long last!

I've been waiting for DECADES for these albums to issued on CD.

Indeed, great news!

£17.99 according to soul music records site

And here is the cover:

Name:  IMG_6751.jpg
Views: 2114
Size:  63.2 KB

Great package... Let's hope SMR do a similar project on The Originals albums.

Wonder if "Sax Appeal" and "Smooth" will be included. Do no see them on the proposed cover. These were recorded during the '70s. I know they were consider solo albums listed under Jr. Walker, but it would be nice if they were included.

This is a 3 CD set incorporating the 6 albums pictured. Let's hope that it does well in sales. Perhaps the remaining 3 Jr. Walker Soul albums will then see release.

These " multi pack" sets work well..I've got a similar set on The Jackson 5...I wouldn't have.bought individual CDs but as a multipack...ideal.

Looks like 3 x 2fers then. The packaging looks great and so is the price. Well happy with this.

Also it means a complete run of JW&AS studio albums will have been available on CD bearing in mind the 2fers from the early 2000s - "Shotgun" & "Soul Session" and "Road Runner" and "Home Cookin" plus the even earlier CD release of the "Gotta Hold On To This Feeling" album [[also known as "What Does It Take To Win Your Love" and "These Eyes").

The "Live" albums will be one missing - the CD release contained the tracks from the second Live album but has the cover artwork from the first one which is the missing one now.

As well as the missing live album there are also the 4 Junior Walker Motown albums not yet on CD [[so another good project for later) - these being "Sax Appeal", "Whopper Bopper Show Stopper", "Smooth" and "Blow The House Down".
    Last edited by mysterysinger; 03-20-2019 at 07:30 PM.

Great news......and about time these were on CD. Thanks luckyluckyme.

I'm intrigued to know the story behind the 1974 album. From what I can find online this was never issued in the U.S.
    Does anyone know how and why this was a European only release?

For anyone thinking of buying this and preordering, let's all place our orders directly through the Cherry Red website to show them there is demand and interest, and hopefully encourage them and SoulMusic to release more of these 'lesser obvious' titles. You never know maybe we can convince David Nathan to release that elusive San Remo Strings compilation we'd all like too!

Now there's something that's long overdue. Love the title and the song, Walk In The Night. I thought he kept getting better and better, well until Motown left the building. I always thought Jr. Walker never got the recognition he so deserved but this is a start. That man could play a mean sax that's for sure. Does anyone have any info on I'll Go Where The Music Takes Me? I just discovered that a couple years ago and wondered if it was ever digital.Thanks.

What great news! Finally! So glad some other labels are getting into the Motown catalog. Their Brenda Holloway set must have done very well. Hope we get additional volumes for Walker as well as the Originals, also long overdue as nathanj06 said!

Yes!!! Looks awesome!!!!

Finally! Jr.'s next 6 albums on CD! This is really great news! In addition to the remaining "Sax Appeal", "Whopper Bopper Show Stopper", "Smooth", and "Blow The House Down", don't forget Jr.'s "Hot Shot" -- the HDH-produced Motown album from 1976.

And, yes, we need to see the same CD care given to the remaining albums by The Originals -- "Naturally Together", "Definitions", "Game Called Love", "Communique", and "Down To Love Town".
    Last edited by Philles/Motown Gary; 03-24-2019 at 02:35 AM.

Thanks for letting everyone know about this forthcoming release. Cherry Red release some superb packages, and this is yet another one. I've pre-ordered mine - I've always thought Jr Walker's post 1970 releases to be far more enjoyable than his earlier work, so obtaining these in one release is excellent.

This will go along with the Undisputed Truth's releases as excellent value for money.

I'll echo the suggestion that the Originals releases will be welcomed if given a similar treatment, and also I'd like to see Jermaine Jackson's output like this.

Quote Originally Posted by gordy_hunk View Post
    Thanks for letting everyone know about this forthcoming release. Cherry Red release some superb packages, and this is yet another one. I've pre-ordered mine - I've always thought Jr Walker's post 1970 releases to be far more enjoyable than his earlier work, so obtaining these in one release is excellent.

This will go along with the Undisputed Truth's releases as excellent value for money.

I'll echo the suggestion that the Originals releases will be welcomed if given a similar treatment, and also I'd like to see Jermaine Jackson's output like this.
    And I'll echo the request for some Jermaine Jackson CD reissues. For whatever reason, with the exception of "Jermaine" and "Let's Get Serious", his albums have been strangely ignored by Motown.

Yeah, I would love to see The Originals and Jermaine get a similar treatment! And, I'd love to see Junior's remaining albums on CD too [[the "solo" ones).

Looking forward to hearing the album he did with Stevie Wonder, which wasn’t released in the United States. IIRC, it was the final album produced at Hitsville!

[QUOTE=Philles/Motown Gary;508024]Finally! Jr.'s next 6 albums on CD! This is really great news! In addition to the remaining "Sax Appeal", "Whopper Bopper Show Stopper", "Smooth", and "Blow The House Down", don't forget Jr.'s "Hot Shot" -- the HDH-produced Motown album from 1976./QUOTE]

Looks like "Hot Shot" is includes in this six album release.

I so happy this is being released..ive waited a very long time.

Hey, I do believe you're right, masterblaster! The print is so tiny in the ad, I couldn't read it. And it's been so long [[32 years) since I owned the LP, I had forgotten what the cover looked like. This makes the new Jr. Walker set all the more exciting to look forward to. Thanks for pointing it out!

Quote Originally Posted by Philles/Motown Gary View Post
    Hey, I do believe you're right, masterblaster! The print is so tiny in the ad, I couldn't read it. And it's been so long [[32 years) since I owned the LP, I had forgotten what the cover looked like. This makes the new Jr. Walker set all the more exciting to look forward to. Thanks for pointing it out!
    This may help:

https://www.cherryred.co.uk/product/...nAB-LQi-mDKBsc

Thanks lucky! I am definitely looking forward to this one.

I didn't know 1969's Gotta Hold Onto This Feeling had been released on CD! I can only find one copy on Amazon for $100. https://www.amazon.co.uk/Gotta-Hold-.../dp/B000008M33

Sorry to be cheeky, does anyone have the CD and could anyone send me the tracks "Proud Mary", "Clinging To The Thought That’s She's Coming Back" and "I've Got To Find A Way To Win Maria Back" from it? Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by luckyluckyme View Post
    Hey, thanks very much, lucky. Complete with track lists, too, with print font that is actually legible for these old eyes of mine!
    Last edited by Philles/Motown Gary; 03-24-2019 at 09:34 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by TomatoTom123 View Post
    I didn't know 1969's Gotta Hold Onto This Feeling had been released on CD! I can only find one copy on Amazon for $100. https://www.amazon.co.uk/Gotta-Hold-.../dp/B000008M33

Sorry to be cheeky, does anyone have the CD and could anyone send me the tracks "Proud Mary", "Clinging To The Thought That’s She's Coming Back" and "I've Got To Find A Way To Win Maria Back" from it? Thanks
    Tom, the price gougers are always out in full force for rare CD titles like these [[the bastards)! Personal Message me via Soulful Detroit.

I know right Gary! I shall do, thank you!!

Quote Originally Posted by mysterysinger View Post
    Looks like 3 x 2fers then. The packaging looks great and so is the price. Well happy with this.

Also it means a complete run of JW&AS studio albums will have been available on CD bearing in mind the 2fers from the early 2000s - "Shotgun" & "Soul Session" and "Road Runner" and "Home Cookin" plus the even earlier CD release of the "Gotta Hold On To This Feeling" album [[also known as "What Does It Take To Win Your Love" and "These Eyes".
    Wish "Gotta Hold On To This Feeling" was including in this new release as it is no longer available on CD any more. I have the other 2fers released so this will be missing from my collection of studio albums on CD.

Quote Originally Posted by luckyluckyme View Post
    And here is the cover:

Name:  IMG_6751.jpg
Views: 2114
Size:  63.2 KB
    I notice that they chose my favorite 70s recording by Jr Walker and the All-Stars as part of the title, "Walk In the Night"!

Yeah, Marv, Jr. Walker's "Walk In The Night" is one of his best. In fact, his entire "Moody Jr." LP is one of my all-time favorite Motown albums. It's been a mighty long time, but we're FINALLY getting it on CD. As the J5 would say, Hallelujah Day!

As regards the "Gotta Hold On To This Feeling" CD, most of the tracks are readily available elsewhere. As Tom discovered above, the three "rarer" tracks are "Proud Mary", "Clinging To The Thought That’s She's Coming Back" and "I've Got To Find A Way To Win Maria Back". "Proud Mary" is on the Motown Legends CD and the other 2 available [[but in mono only) on The Complete Motown Singles. Attachment 15315

I downloaded "Proud Mary" [[from the Motown Legends album) from a mp3 website a while back. Quite annoyingly, the mp3 I downloaded for some reason had its intro cut. The same for the other tracks I downloaded, I think "Ball Baby" and "Sexpot". Hopefully all of Junior's albums are one day remastered and released on compilations as awesome as this one looks!

http://www.imwan.com/phpBB3/viewtopi...20d8fd1fd7a34a
    Description
    Junior Walker [[born Autry DeWalt Mixon, Jr. in 1931 in Blytheville, Arkansas) was one of the most consistent Motown chartmakers and undeniably the global brand’s most successful instrumentalist from 1964 to 1978, racking up 25 US charted singles and 14 US charted albums. With his distinctive, rousing sax style and immediately identifiable vocals, Jr. Walker [[with The All Stars – guitarist Willie Woods, keyboardist Vic Thomas and drummer James Graves) had the kind of raw’n’funky sound that captivated audiences worldwide.

Junior’s early success on Motown’s Soul imprint in the ‘60s with ‘Shotgun’, ‘[[I’m A) Road Runner’, and a reworking of Marvin Gaye’s ‘How Sweet It Is’, established the dynamic sax man and his band as reliable groove makers. The 1969 release of the now-classic ‘What Does It Take [[To Win Your Love)’ proved to be a game-changer for Junior, setting the stage for a new decade of recordings that clearly showcased his innovative ability to add his own musical stamp to a diversity of pop, rock, jazz and R&B material.

This superb box set spanning the years 1970-1976 features five original Motown albums and one album [[1974’s “Jr. Walker & The All Stars”) which has only ever been released in its entirety in UK and Europe, all six making their debut on CD worldwide with this 2019 SoulMusic Records’ release.

Disc One comprises 1970’s “A Gasssss” and 1971’s “Rainbow Funk,” both produced by Johnny Bristol; the [[20) tracks include ‘Do You See My Love [[For You Growing)’, ‘Carry Your Own Load’ and ‘Take Me Girl, I’m Ready’ [[one of Jr. Walker’s three UK hits of the ‘70s).

Disc Two [[with the charted hits ‘Way Back Home’, ‘Groove Thang’, ‘Walk In The Night’ and ‘Gimme That Beat’) features 1972’s Johnny Bristol-produced “Moody Jr.,” and the 1973 set, “Peace & Understanding Is Hard To Find” which marked a change in creative direction with production by Motown stalwarts Hal Davis, Willie Hutch, Gloria Jones & Pam Sawyer and Junior himself.

Disc Three consists of 1974’s jazz-flavoured “Jr. Walker & The All Stars,” primarily produced by Clarence Paul [[who worked consistently in the ‘60s with Stevie Wonder, who guests on two tracks, ‘You Are The Sunshine Of My Life’ and ‘All In Love Is Fair’); and the 1976 Brian Holland & Lawrence Horn-produced “Hot Shot,” [[which includes ‘I Need You Right Now’ featuring Thelma Houston).

Released in 2019 [[Motown’s 60th anniversary), this stellar reissue [[produced by SoulMusic’s David Nathan) featuring the ‘70s studio recordings by R&B Foundation Pioneer Awardee and Soul Music Hall of Fame inductee Junior Walker [[who passed away in 1995) and his All Stars includes informative liner notes by renowned Motown expert and author Sharon Davis, first class mastering by Nick Robbins [[with digital transfers directly from Universal Music Group) and stellar artwork from Roger Williams.

Tracklist
    [CD1: A Gasssss / Rainbow Funk]
    A Gasssss:
    1. Do You See My Love [[For You Growing)
    2. And When I Die
    3. I Was Made To Love Her
    4. Carry Your Own Load
    5. Shut Up, Don’t Interrupt Me
    6. Groove And Move
    7. Holly Holy
    8. Honey Come Back
    9. Riding High On Love
    10. Hey Jude
    11. At A Saturday Matinee
    Rainbow Funk:
    12. Way Back Home [[Instrumental)
    13. Take Me Girl, I’m Ready
    14. Feeling Alright
    15. Right On Brothers And Sisters
    16. Teach Them To Pray
    17. Something
    18. Psychedelic Shack
    19. Pieces Of A Man
    20. These Things Will Keep Me Loving You

[CD2: Moody Jr. / Peace & Understanding Is Hard To Find]
    Moody Jr.:
    1. Way Back Home [[Vocal)
    2. I Don’t Want To Do Wrong
    3. Bristol’s Way
    4. Don’t Blame The Children
    5. Me And My Family
    6. Groove Thang
    7. Still Water Medley
    8. Never Can Say Goodbye
    9. Walk In The Night
    10. Moody Junior
    Peace & Understanding Is Hard To Find:
    11. I Ain’t Going Nowhere
    12. I Don’t Need No Reason
    13. It’s Alright, Do What You Gotta Do
    14. It’s Too Late
    15. Soul Clappin’
    16. I Can See Clearly Now
    17. Gimme That Beat [[Part 1)
    18. Gimme That Beat [[Part 2)
    19. Country Boy
    20. Peace And Understanding [[Is Hard To Find)

[CD3: Jr. Walker & The All Stars / Hot Shot]
    Jr. Walker & The All Stars:
    1. You Are The Sunshine Of My Life
    2. All In Love Is Fair
    3. Killing Me Softly With This Song
    4. My Love
    5. Boogie Down
    6. I Ain’t That Easy To Lose
    7. Dancin’ Like They Do On Soul Train
    8. Break Down And Sing
    9. Until You Come Back To Me [[That’s What I Gonna Do)
    Hot Shot:
    10. I’m So Glad
    11. Why Can’t We Be Lovers
    12. You Ain’t No Ordinary Woman
    13. Just Can’t Get Enough
    14. Love [[Keep Us Together)
    15. I Need You Right Now – Featuring Thelma Houston
    16. Probe Your Mind
    17. Don’t Lose What You Got [[Trying To Get Back What You Had)
    18. Hot Shot

That sure was a LOT of typing! Thanks, Jack!

Fantastic release!

And my wish for the next Motown artists to get released is the Originals and Jermaine Jackson.

Coming to Dusty Groove about May 22nd.
    https://www.dustygroove.com/item/914...r=release_date

Hey Gary: just copy/paste!

Quote Originally Posted by mysterysinger View Post
    As regards the "Gotta Hold On To This Feeling" CD, most of the tracks are readily available elsewhere. As Tom discovered above, the three "rarer" tracks are "Proud Mary", "Clinging To The Thought That’s She's Coming Back" and "I've Got To Find A Way To Win Maria Back". "Proud Mary" is on the Motown Legends CD and the other 2 available [[but in mono only) on The Complete Motown Singles. Attachment 15315
    Thanks for that mysterysinger, I am able to compile the complete album as 7 of the tracks were included in three of the studio albums,' Road Runner', 'Shotgun' and 'Home Cookin' and another three appear on 'The Complete Singles Collection' which just leaves Proud Mary which I need to source from somewhere as I don't have the Motown Ledgends CD.

bonus track ? :

"Proud Mary"

Last edited by mysterysinger; 03-30-2019 at 05:46 PM.