[REMOVE ADS]

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by jobeterob View Post
    Is the other forum more vicious than ours?
    No. It's the one with the more than twelve round the clock moderators I told Marv about. If not for their vigilance, the place would have been shot to hell by now.

Quote Originally Posted by luke View Post
    Can people just stop going after individual people here???? Geeez
    Thank you. I've been saying that for years. You can have the most contentious thread, but all it takes is for that one person to make something personal to poison it.

Quote Originally Posted by soulster View Post
    No. It's the one with the more than twelve round the clock moderators I told Marv about. If not for their vigilance, the place would have been shot to hell by now.
    I joined it yesterday and thank you. The Teena Marie thread is very interesting so far.....

Quote Originally Posted by luke View Post
    Can people just stop going after individual people here???? Geeez
    That's what this current crop of forum members do whenever anyone says something they do not like. It was not always like this back when we had more intelligent and knowledgeable posters.

Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    I am never going to stop telling the truth so you can go to bed now! Stop trying to qualify your BS! It was not a solo recording, nor did she help write it. That is why she still has to pay Lionel Richie a performance fee to this very day everytime she warbles it in her pitiful "concerts" now.
    Luke is right. can we all stop the personal attacks? This thread was calming down until this.

I don't think it was Lionel Richie's idea to do that duet. I think he was kind of forced into it. From what I understand, it was originally written as a solo.

Ross did do the song as a solo on her "Why Do Fools Fall In Love" album.

Since Lionel Richie wrote it, he gets paid every time it is recorded, performed, or played on the air. No one needs to get permission to do it, but they have to pay up.

Marv, I can now see where your use of "warbling" and "pitiful" can be construed as baiting. It is your be opinion, so you have the right to say it.

I will also try to do better to not bash the Ross fans if they contain their over-enthusiasm.
    Last edited by soulster; 06-10-2018 at 09:41 PM.

I joined it yesterday and thank you. The Teena Marie thread is very interesting so far.....
    Check out the Every #1 Billboard Rhythm & Blues thread. We go through each #1 in chronological order and everyone comments and debates on each song. Make sure you read the forum FAQ. There are a LOT of rules to help keep the peace.

Check out the Every #1 Billboard Rhythm & Blues thread. We go through each #1 in chronological order and everyone comments and debates on each song. Make sure you read the forum FAQ. There are a LOT of rules to help keep the peace.
    I will check it out. Thank you!

I am never going to stop telling the truth so you can go to bed now! Stop trying to qualify your BS! It was not a solo recording, nor did she help write it. That is why she still has to pay Lionel Richie a performance fee to this very day everytime she warbles it in her pitiful "concerts" now.
    Wow you never seem to amaze me. I should have expected a reply like this from you. Lol. Please read before replying. When did I ever say it was a solo record that she wrote? You are really funny!!

Quote Originally Posted by vgalindo View Post
    Wow you never seem to amaze me. I should have expected a reply like this from you. Lol. Please read before replying. When did I ever say it was a solo record that she wrote? You are really funny!!
    I cannot believe that there is anyone else on Earth talking about a 75 year old singer who hasn't done anything noteworthy in close to 35 years. I think you keep this up just because she is still alive. LOL!!!! You have my condolences......hehehehehehehe!

I cannot believe that there is anyone else on Earth talking about a 75 year old singer who hasn't done anything noteworthy in close to 35 years. I think you keep this up just because she is still alive. LOL!!!! You have my condolences......hehehehehehehe!
    Oh Marv go worship 75 year old Mary Wilson. She has accomplished so much more than Diana Ross!! Lol. SMDH

Wow you talk more about Diana Ross than anyone else on this forum! I truly feel sorry for you.

I apologize to everyone. I will not respond to him anymore. I should have known better.

Quote Originally Posted by vgalindo View Post
    I apologize to everyone. I will not respond to him anymore. I should have known better.
    No need to apologize. The 'ignore' option is best!

There is only one person who talks about her this much!

alanbill1074 Guest
    I feel I can return to posting on here now that there's an Ignore button.

Being from the UK, Eaten Alive was a pretty successful album here [[#11), thanks to the Gold record Chain Reaction. I remember loving it at the time, and playing it a lot. I wasn't struck on the Bee Gees backgrounds and think it would have been better without them, but most of the songs were good, with the exception of I Love Being In Love With You. I'd have ditched that and gone with another uptempo number. It was light on potential radio cuts, with maybe Crime Of Passion being the missed opportunity single. Definitely would have done better than Experience here, even Oh Teacher might have been successful instead of a b-side, or even a reissue of the title track.

Looking back, although her RCA period is my favourite, this is the album I play the least, and I put that down to the Bee Gees backing vocals mainly. On reflection, it was a bit 'old' sounding after the very fresh Swept Away. Unfortunately she wasn't picky about material, which I can attest to after meeting Gary Katz a couple of years ago. I think if she'd been more invested in her music it would have been better.

I loved the cover at the time, now, less so. I think she was trying to play on Thriller with it.

There is only one person who talks about her this much!

That is so true. He will usually be the first to bring up her name on any thread. It's almost like he is salivating waiting to see how he can interject some derogatory "fact" [[as he puts it) into the mix. To his credit, however, he does provide links to some good videos and actually has some fresh information and perspectives to share. But will he ever lay off "her"? I think not.

Quote Originally Posted by alanbill1074 View Post
    Looking back, although her RCA period is my favourite, this is the album I play the least, and I put that down to the Bee Gees backing vocals mainly. On reflection, it was a bit 'old' sounding after the very fresh Swept Away. Unfortunately she wasn't picky about material, which I can attest to after meeting Gary Katz a couple of years ago. I think if she'd been more invested in her music it would have been better.
    Her RCA years were good in that she was free to try new and different things, which she did. The "Ross" album partly produced by Gary Katz is very good. I always enjoy listening to it. It's one of my summertime albums. The singles got a lot of rotation on Soul Train, too. It's one album during this era where she did not overindulge.

I loved the cover at the time, now, less so. I think she was trying to play on Thriller with it.
    I don't mind the cover at all.

While album "Eaten Alive" wasn't her best effort, I think, at least here in the U.S., a big problem is that song "Chain Reaction". Here in the states, the single was remixed. The song just didn't fit 1985.

Again, there was so much great stuff in the year '85 that overshadowed Diana Ross that she ceased to matter. Sade, Whitney Houston, and Aretha Franklin got all the attention. Sade had the smooth jazz groove, Whitney had the looks and the pipes [[not the crack pipes), and Aretha made a big comeback on the pop charts even though she never left the R&B charts. What did these three have in common? They had the sound that people wanted to hear in the 80s.

Remember that I said the song "Dirty Looks" was an attempt to stay relevant? I've been listening to the hits of 1987, and it fits right alongside of things Steve Winwood and Robert Cray were doing. The R&B is sort of retro, but had an updated sound. But, the rest of the album, while I personally like it, reverted back to 1981. She really had lost her touch with the market. There was no way she was going to compete with Jody Watley, Whitney Houston, Expose, Taylor Dayne, and...Debbie Gibson? Ross had officially become an oldies act.

alanbill1074 Guest
    Yeah I don't feel like she had her eye on being particularly current. swept Away was definitely current, and I'd have liked to have seen something more like that with a cutting edge producer really. Even the R&B album wasn't a wise decision. Had I been RCA I'd have been on her back like a hot potato to get a product I could shift.

That said, we did get Chain Reaction out of it which is her biggest ever record in the UK.

Dirty Looks was good but again, speaking for the Brits, the Shep Pettibone mix of Shockwaves should have come out first. I think it'd have been a smash instead of a #76 squib.

It comes down to the fact she just wasn't that interested in the music.

Yet after that, returning to Motown, I think she was very interested in what she was doing.

Yeah I don't feel like she had her eye on being particularly current. swept Away was definitely current, and I'd have liked to have seen something more like that with a cutting edge producer really. Even the R&B album wasn't a wise decision. Had I been RCA I'd have been on her back like a hot potato to get a product I could shift.

That said, we did get Chain Reaction out of it which is her biggest ever record in the UK.

Dirty Looks was good but again, speaking for the Brits, the Shep Pettibone mix of Shockwaves should have come out first. I think it'd have been a smash instead of a #76 squib.

It comes down to the fact she just wasn't that interested in the music.

Yet after that, returning to Motown, I think she was very interested in what she was doing.
    Diana Ross is an Oldies act and has been one for decades now.

I feel I can return to posting on here now that there's an Ignore button.

Being from the UK, Eaten Alive was a pretty successful album here [[#11), thanks to the Gold record Chain Reaction. I remember loving it at the time, and playing it a lot. I wasn't struck on the Bee Gees backgrounds and think it would have been better without them, but most of the songs were good, with the exception of I Love Being In Love With You. I'd have ditched that and gone with another uptempo number. It was light on potential radio cuts, with maybe Crime Of Passion being the missed opportunity single. Definitely would have done better than Experience here, even Oh Teacher might have been successful instead of a b-side, or even a reissue of the title track.

That's exactly what I thought when I saw the cover lol

I think on Swept Away, she was trying for a blend of Tina Turner, Pat Benatar and Cyndi Lauper on the album cover [[though I LOVE that album cover to this day!).

Quote Originally Posted by jobucats View Post
    That is so true. He will usually be the first to bring up her name on any thread. It's almost like he is salivating waiting to see how he can interject some derogatory "fact" [[as he puts it) into the mix. To his credit, however, he does provide links to some good videos and actually has some fresh information and perspectives to share. But will he ever lay off "her"? I think not.
    But he makes things up. Plays fast and loose with the truth and is the first to insult people. The other day he called me a liar about something I said. So, I posted proof of the statement and was he man enough to thank me for correcting him and showing him the facts? Nope. He just ignores when gets called out on his lies. Earlier in this thread he commented on a group of divas outselling miss ross during this period. It wasn’t true by more than half. The facts were presented to him but did he acknowledge he was incorrect yet again? Nope. He’s obsessed. If you had a clue as to how many hours he’s spent on other sites bashing her with insults and false facts, you would be astounded. Mary Wilson is so unhappy with him that she referred to him in her webpage and asked her fans to keep her and Diane’s name “out of your petty squabbles.” His reply? No one is going to deny him his first constitutional right to free speech. Lololololololol. Mary has told me and many others how creeped out she is by him and his ravings. She does not want him for a fan. He doesn’t even pay attention to what he’s saying as he often describes his own behavior while bashing others’. When exposed, no comment. I know Miss Ross snubbed him st a show and had his camera confiscated, but that was over 30 years ago and he did get it back after the show. I guess it’s true that somethings you never get used to!

Judging by the utter lack of response to my "Work it out" thread. i'd say you all are happy with the constant war.

Quote Originally Posted by PeaceNHarmony View Post
    No need to apologize. The 'ignore' option is best!
    I didn't want to ignore anyone but I guess I have no choice. Thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by TheMotownManiac View Post
    But he makes things up. Plays fast and loose with the truth and is the first to insult people. The other day he called me a liar about something I said. So, I posted proof of the statement and was he man enough to thank me for correcting him and showing him the facts? Nope. He just ignores when gets called out on his lies. Earlier in this thread he commented on a group of divas outselling miss ross during this period. It wasn’t true by more than half. The facts were presented to him but did he acknowledge he was incorrect yet again? Nope. He’s obsessed. If you had a clue as to how many hours he’s spent on other sites bashing her with insults and false facts, you would be astounded. Mary Wilson is so unhappy with him that she referred to him in her webpage and asked her fans to keep her and Diane’s name “out of your petty squabbles.” His reply? No one is going to deny him his first constitutional right to free speech. Lololololololol. Mary has told me and many others how creeped out she is by him and his ravings. She does not want him for a fan. He doesn’t even pay attention to what he’s saying as he often describes his own behavior while bashing others’. When exposed, no comment. I know Miss Ross snubbed him st a show and had his camera confiscated, but that was over 30 years ago and he did get it back after the show. I guess it’s true that somethings you never get used to!
    Great wrap-up! Sad thing also is that too many of Mary's most vocal fans are only 'fans' as a bitch-back to Diana. Choose 'ignore', I say, and you keep posting -
    Last edited by PeaceNHarmony; 06-11-2018 at 05:55 PM.

Very nice of you.

A sad casualty of his behavior is Mary gets lumped in with him - when in fact, she wants nothing to do with him.

We have to remember Mary tries to take the high road with respect to him.

Thank you Maniac.

A sad casualty of his behavior is Mary gets lumped in with him - when in fact, she wants nothing to do with him.

Thank you Maniac.
    In the real world, Mary doesn't even know whom he is, or who any of you are. Geez!

In the real world, Mary doesn't even know whom he is, or who any of you are. Geez!
    You should not make statements that you know nothing at all about. Why tarnish your credibility with such a statement? It makes other things you say seem specious.

A) Mary most certainly DOES know Marv and he’d be the first to tell you that. She knows EXACTLY who he is in person and who he is/what he says online.

B) Mary most certainly knows me, my bf, and many many other fans. I have her cell and email on my phone. I ve been to her house and pool in Vegas, seen her conglomeration of uncategorized memorabilia [[mostly Supremes) in her garage and had lots of meals and dozens of drinks and bottles of Dom with LaMare in over a dozen cities - Probably more than two dozen.

C) The last time I read ”in the real world” on this thread, Marv was explaining to Luke about the errors in certain facts that had just been posted. As it turns out, information to prove those facts correct was provided to prove that the real world is not the one that Marv lives in instead of vice-versa. Now you use it, with the same result.

D) Also, Just by using the phrase “in the real world “you are stooping to the exact type of vernacular you claim to abhor on this site. You are claiming people are living in a fantasy world or are somehow mentally off balance which is akin to name calling. Can’t you disagree without slinging personal negative innuendo at the same time?

I think Roberta also knows Mary in the real world

I don’t know any of them but Rhonda, Claudette, Janie Bradford and Joe Billingslea are on my Facebook - all very nice; Joe used to send me candy crush lives

Very nice of you.

Thank you Maniac.
    You’re welcome!

Back in the RTL days, I think Mary appreciated his comments and support…… She never told me this in so many words, but she was appreciative of the online support that she had. It was a tough time for all Supremes. Now, mary realizes that all this online rhetoric might have made the continental divide even wider and she is horrified and bitter to be associated with it at all. She truly wants to work with Diana and online ugliness isn’t helping. Some fans have a tendency to think of certain Supremes as God or evil…… I do not know Diana at all, but I believe she is a human being with thoughts and feelings and likes and dislikes and dreams and goals and acts out and makes mistakes just like The other Supremes. I know Mary is a human being. She’s kind and caring always down to party - but she has wants and desires also. Even a brief reunion with Diana might make a huge financial impact on her declining years. I don’t think it will happen, but the online ugliness isn’t a step in the right direction. Mary is trying VERY hard to take the high road and hopes it’s not too late.

You’re welcome!

Back in the RTL days, I think Mary appreciated his comments and support…… She never told me this in so many words, but she was appreciative of the online support that she had. It was a tough time for all Supremes. Now, mary realizes that all this online rhetoric might have made the continental divide even wider and she is horrified and bitter to be associated with it at all. She truly wants to work with Diana and online ugliness isn’t helping. Some fans have a tendency to think of certain Supremes as God or evil…… I do not know Diana at all, but I believe she is a human being with thoughts and feelings and likes and dislikes and dreams and goals and acts out and makes mistakes just like The other Supremes. I know Mary is a human being. She’s kind and caring always down to party - but she has wants and desires also. Even a brief reunion with Diana might make a huge financial impact on her declining years. I don’t think it will happen, but the online ugliness isn’t a step in the right direction. Mary is trying VERY hard to take the high road and hopes it’s not too late.
    Yes you should be encouraging to Mary and tell her most of us fans that are just fans at a distance are very supportive of the kinds of efforts you describe

You’re welcome!

We all hope for Diana and Mary to do something one more time before they go out to the gallows... let's hope. They really don't have to do anything else in their lives. And the online mess is definitely not helping. You'd never see it with fans of the individual Beatles or the Stones so why the Supremes?

You should not make statements that you know nothing at all about. Why tarnish your credibility with such a statement? It makes other things you say seem specious.

A) Mary most certainly DOES know Marv and he’d be the first to tell you that. She knows EXACTLY who he is in person and who he is/what he says online.

B) Mary most certainly knows me, my bf, and many many other fans. I have her cell and email on my phone. I ve been to her house and pool in Vegas, seen her conglomeration of uncategorized memorabilia [[mostly Supremes) in her garage and had lots of meals and dozens of drinks and bottles of Dom with LaMare in over a dozen cities - Probably more than two dozen.

C) The last time I read ”in the real world” on this thread, Marv was explaining to Luke about the errors in certain facts that had just been posted. As it turns out, information to prove those facts correct was provided to prove that the real world is not the one that Marv lives in instead of vice-versa. Now you use it, with the same result.

D) Also, Just by using the phrase “in the real world “you are stooping to the exact type of vernacular you claim to abhor on this site. You are claiming people are living in a fantasy world or are somehow mentally off balance which is akin to name calling. Can’t you disagree without slinging personal negative innuendo at the same time?
    I can tell you that I don't know her. I never met her or saw her in person.

I think I speak for most people when I say I am tired of all the Marv stuff. I don't support him, I am just tired of seeing all this back and forth. When is it gonna end?
    Last edited by soulster; 06-12-2018 at 03:27 AM.

I'm 'the island' that has no desire to see Diana and Mary reunite. Just no there-there.

Well, all I know [[and it's a fact because I said it)......My Supreme is better than all of y'alls. Y'all's Supreme is talentless, a has-been, probably slept with someone, and hasn't done anything for years except rodeos. LOL [[I mean no harm with my post. I just had to add my sarcasm after reading all of this 'you know what.') Have a great day!

My favorite Supreme is The World Famous Supreme Team

I wish I could find a better video of it.
    Last edited by soulster; 06-12-2018 at 10:37 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by midnightman View Post
    We all hope for Diana and Mary to do something one more time before they go out to the gallows... let's hope. They really don't have to do anything else in their lives. And the online mess is definitely not helping. You'd never see it with fans of the individual Beatles or the Stones so why the Supremes?
    I hope they do, but I'm no longer holding my breath. It's actually sad that the story essentially ends with the RTL debacle. I wonder what Flo, Diana and Mary would've said in 1961 when they were signing their contracts, if someone had given them a look into the future at how the last official dealings between any of the original Supremes would end up [[RTL)? That's a strange ride to be on, from the start and it's struggles, to the top, to the falling outs, to the messy public reunion, to the messy almost reunion. Crazy.

I'm not a Beatles fan at all, but it was my understanding that the arguments between the factions of fans of that group make anything we got going on about the Supremes seem like child's play. That was years ago when someone told me that. Maybe Beatles fans have matured at a faster rate than Supremes fans?

Quote Originally Posted by RanRan79 View Post
    I hope they do, but I'm no longer holding my breath. It's actually sad that the story essentially ends with the RTL debacle. I wonder what Flo, Diana and Mary would've said in 1961 when they were signing their contracts, if someone had given them a look into the future at how the last official dealings between any of the original Supremes would end up [[RTL)? That's a strange ride to be on, from the start and it's struggles, to the top, to the falling outs, to the messy public reunion, to the messy almost reunion. Crazy.

I'm not a Beatles fan at all, but it was my understanding that the arguments between the factions of fans of that group make anything we got going on about the Supremes seem like child's play. That was years ago when someone told me that. Maybe Beatles fans have matured at a faster rate than Supremes fans?
    Well to be fair, I haven't been at any Beatles forums so I wouldn't know.

I love The Beatles, and have since I was a toddler.

Quote Originally Posted by PeaceNHarmony View Post
    I'm 'the island' that has no desire to see Diana and Mary reunite. Just no there-there.
    Ditto. Without Flo, i get nada out of seeing Diana and Mary together. Maybe if Mary hadn’t bashed Ross in her books and on TV and radio for years, the feeling might be a bit warmer. But Diana clearly has no use for Mary and I know Mary’s motives for a reunion and it is not because she misses working with
    “Diane”....so, why do it if the right feeling isn’t there? I’d be cool with a DMC reunion but again, only if their hearts were in it…… and I think only Cindy’s would be, and she is out of commission. During the early stages of RTL, I was hoping that they were all on the same page and happy to be performing together…… I was quite naïve.

Quote Originally Posted by midnightman View Post
    Well to be fair, I haven't been at any Beatles forums so I wouldn't know.
    Some Beatles forums make Ross/Wilson look like A Love in.

My favorite Supreme is The World Famous Supreme Team

I wish I could find a better video of it.
    I remember them. What year did this come out?

I love The Beatles, and have since I was a toddler.
    When the Beatles first hit, my brother and I would sing their songs at the tops of our lungs in the backseat of my Dad's car. He'd have enough and yell "Pipe Down back there"! LOL!!!

Diana Ross is an Oldies act and has been one for decades now.

That puts her miles above any category Mary is in. Diana Ross works constantly and Mary has virtually no bookings for the rest of this year

Ditto. Without Flo, i get nada out of seeing Diana and Mary together. Maybe if Mary hadn’t bashed Ross in her books and on TV and radio for years, the feeling might be a bit warmer. But Diana clearly has no use for Mary and I know Mary’s motives for a reunion and it is not because she misses working with
    “Diane”....so, why do it if the right feeling isn’t there? I’d be cool with a DMC reunion but again, only if their hearts were in it…… and I think only Cindy’s would be, and she is out of commission. During the early stages of RTL, I was hoping that they were all on the same page and happy to be performing together…… I was quite naïve.
    You have been frank thus far

Would Mary do it because she needs the money or for a career boost? At 75, I doubt it would boost the career much.

But I appreciate royalties are pretty paltry these days

I can tell you that I don't know her. I never met her or saw her in person.

I think I speak for most people when I say I am tired of all the Marv stuff. I don't support him, I am just tired of seeing all this back and forth. When is it gonna end?
    Your very last post was about Marv. Lead by example. And, since you are sick of Diana Ross topics, rather than condemn them, just ignore them. People talk about what people WANT to talk about. If there’s “too much talk about Ross or The Supremes or Jean Terrell’s shoes” then no one will talk about it. What is too much for one person may not be too much for another and both should be respected. I would never think to deem a thread as unworthy just because I think it is. If I feel a thread is unworthy, what I really feel is that I’M unworthy for that particular thread.

You have been frank thus far

Would Mary do it because she needs the money or for a career boost? At 75, I doubt it would boost the career much.

But I appreciate royalties are pretty paltry these days
    Mary would like a nicer cushion for her advancing years and I don’t blame her. Most of us would. She’s tried hard to make bank but Sophisticated Ladies, Lena Horne and Dare To Dream didn’t generate what she had hoped. It’s true that her bookings have slowed a great deal and her actual ticket sales for seats aren’t always what one who hope for. The reunion would not be as much of a career boost as a bank account boost. But I just do not ever see it happening. Mary was talking about re-launching a scaled down version of Sophisticated Ladies but it’s not working out. I think she should tour with Martha and Brenda as Leading Ladies Of Motown. It might work.

Right - the Supremes were three ladies, not two, and Diana simply suffered too many Mary shenanigans [[in my opinion) to make believe it never happened. RTL as DMC would have been heaven and it's a shame that didn't happen, for whatever reason. Like the Kinks, Fleetwood Mac, Oasis, and many more, a shared past does not equate 'love' or even a remaining friendship.

Mary would like a nicer cushion for her advancing years and I don’t blame her. Most of us would. She’s tried hard to make bank but Sophisticated Ladies, Lena Horne and Dare To Dream didn’t generate what she had hoped. It’s true that her bookings have slowed a great deal and her actual ticket sales for seats aren’t always what one who hope for. The reunion would not be as much of a career boost as a bank account boost. But I just do not ever see it happening. Mary was talking about re-launching a scaled down version of Sophisticated Ladies but it’s not working out. I think she should tour with Martha and Brenda as Leading Ladies Of Motown. It might work.
    Another reason to be benevolent to Mary

Martha Mary and Brenda is a better bet than Sophisticated Ladies

But all these people are getting older and the market isn’t what it was

Thank you for your responses

I agree with you

Eaten Alive is a song I like a lot but not a good choice for a first single; it was chosen because of Michael’s involvement
    Yeah, that was a smart move. That song made about as much sense as "Pieces of Ice"! LOL!!!!

I feel like this thread needs to close and have a redo. <_<