[REMOVE ADS]

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Lovin', Livin' And Givin'

This 1978 psychedelic classic is something out of this world love it to the end of the world🖤🤍💙

A tune indeed

Quote Originally Posted by after you View Post
    This 1978 psychedelic classic is something out of this world love it to the end of the world🖤🤍💙
    Never cared for it personally. It never really got going in my opinion.
    So many mixes of it, but i have yet to hear a good one.

Always liked this one. Has a cool, mysterious feel to it. Good memories too.

I always thought it an ok song as in nothing that special.
    Having said that, The Almighty Definitive Mix was for me a revelation. It breaths new life into the song, transforming it into a potential mega hit single. Even today it remains one of my very favourite Diana remixes.

Quote Originally Posted by Ollie9 View Post
    I always thought it an ok song as in nothing that special.
    Having said that, The Almighty Definitive Mix was for me a revelation. It breaths new life into the song, transforming it into a potential mega hit single. Even today it remains one of my very favourite Diana remixes.
    Not sure if i have heard that version. I shall check it out.

I thought of it as just being OK. It appeared to me that the moving bass line and the rhythmic pattern of the percussion instruments didn't quite fit the tempo...awkward as if the song was a tad bit too fast. A tad would be about 3 bpm. I agree with nathan06 about the mysterious, almost hypnotic, feel to it.

Always love all versions of the song but for some reason I just knew it was not going to hit.

Always loved this song the synth and bass sound great on loud speakers

I never did care for this song very much, it felt like a bland imitation of Donna Summer's I Feel Love. It just didn't move me like most of Ross' songs do. Fortunately, next year she came back with The Boss.

Quiz:

According to this song ,

what is Diana Ross' favorite instrument?

Quote Originally Posted by Boogiedown View Post
    Quiz:

According to this song ,

what is Diana Ross' favorite instrument?
    Musical or anatomical?.

Musical or anatomical?.

Oh dear! For this discussion, let's keep it musical.
    Last edited by Boogiedown; 06-01-2021 at 03:54 AM.

This song sounds nothing like I feel love ❤️ I prefer this better it’s got a futuristic feel to it I played it so many times

Musical or anatomical?.
    LOL - The Saxophone

This song sounds nothing like I feel love ❤️ I prefer this better it’s got a futuristic feel to it I played it so many times
    It reminds me a little of I feel love especially the introduction, but the record itself is nowhere near as memorable or iconic.

This was one of the first songs where I learned there were different versions of the same song that were floating around. I remember buying the original soundtrack of “thank God it’s Friday“, and the song at that time and in the early pressings of the album is called “livin’, lovin’, givin’“. For some reason I had to exchange that album for another copy, I think it skipped on one side, and when I got the newer copy of the album the song had been re-titled to The name we all know it as, “Lovin’, Livin’ and Givin’“ and the track had been replaced with a fuller, longer and more lush mix. I went from not liking the song at all on the first album to really liking it a lot on the second one. I also realized that there were such things as alternate mixes of songs and you didn’t always know which one you were getting!

i’m just wondering if anyone else knew that album had changed its track inclusion for that one song. I don’t recall any of the other tracks being changed.
    Last edited by kenneth; 06-01-2021 at 09:28 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by kenneth View Post
    This was one of the first songs where I learned there were different versions of the same song that were floating around. I remember buying the original soundtrack of “thank God it’s Friday“, and the song at that time and in the early pressings of the album is called “livin’, lovin’, givin’“. For some reason I had to exchange that album for another copy, I think it skipped on one side, and when I got the newer copy of the album the song had been re-titled to The name we all know it as, “Lovin’, Livin’ and Givin’“ and the track had been replaced with a fuller, longer and more lush mix. I went from not liking the song at all on the first album to really liking it a lot on the second one. I also realized that there were such things as alternate mixes of songs and you didn’t always know which one you were getting!

i’m just wondering if anyone else knew that album had changed its track inclusion for that one song. I don’t recall any of the other tracks being changed.

If there's any one Diana Ross song I'd most like to hear the backstory on THIS ONE IS IT! [help reese!] For starters why the bizarre title that's never sung as a phrase in the song, should've been SINCE YOU CAME.[you're right Kenneth they couldn't even get it right on the labeling and later changed it , but did it really matter]

When did Diana sing this? [sounds dug up]
    Who Giorgio Morodered it? Perhaps him?

Did Casablanca advise Motown , "As a disco song for a disco album , this sucks!!!" and then they [who?] pulled it , stripped it and reinserted it??

How did Hal Davis feel about the Donna Summering of his work??

Compared to current diva, Donna Summer's home run contribution , was Diana mortified?

Reese !!!?
    Last edited by Boogiedown; 06-01-2021 at 11:33 AM.

The song title is sung at the fade. And the lyric is "since you came".

ah thank you Sans , I'm in hurry this morning .....changed it . Is it sung by the back-up singers? And who are they ??

Loved it from day one

I love it as well. I wish it would be played out loud in a night club. I, for sure, would dance like there was no tomorrow.

As an album track it’s perfectly fine, any more than that: it’s ridiculous. I cannot understand why they were putting out stuff like that that had no commercial chance whatsoever Of getting support from radio. I sure wish they had their shit together in the 70s like they did in the 60s, there were a lot of miss opportunities for the Supremes and diana ross and I don’t see any reason why it had to be that way except for laziness and perhaps lack of vision or talent or both or all three are all three and five other reasons no one has mentioned yet.

I, too, loved/love LLG. A dancer, to be sure. I think it was produced by Giorgio Moroder?

Quote Originally Posted by PeaceNHarmony View Post
    I, too, loved/love LLG. A dancer, to be sure. I think it was produced by Giorgio Moroder?
    Hal Davis.

Quote Originally Posted by sansradio View Post
    Hal Davis.
    Interesting; it has a Moroder-ish sound.

So [[[WHO]]] stripped it to the bone and remixed it ?? I'm sure Hal Davis did not do that to his own finished arrangement. My money is on Casablanca and Musicland Studios. VERY odd that no credit was given to whoever 'remixed ' it, which was the common practice, or a 'synthesizer by' credit somewhere along the way in reissues...

Sans, I cracked myself up by misstating the line as since you're gone ... I think that had that line instead been the actual sentiment , it alone improves the song double fold .....since you're gone I fell like living again , since you're gone I feel like etc...

It becomes a song of liberation... she could've gotten a jump on her beloved I WILL SURVIVE !lol!
    Last edited by Boogiedown; 06-02-2021 at 12:08 PM.

The original version as constructed by Hal Davis and Art Wright is not bad, it just wasn't disco enough for an album whose purpose was specifically that. Word on the street , or when club tested, it must've sunk like a rock so as to decide to go to all the trouble to pull it, reconstruct it, repress the record, and reshape it as nothing like originally designed .

Many disco songs got some pretty radical remixes in the hands of imaginative mixers like Walter Gibbons, but this one takes the cake. From a being sung while skipping to school type sound to euro disco!

Who did this one time treatment ever of a Motown song???

I still don't hear the title anywhere in the final synth version [?] , in the original I do once @ 1:48 Diana ends her line feel like lovin' with the word lovin',: then the two/three mystery back-ups sing livin' ,givin'.

best part between 2:12- 2:26 beautiful actually.
    Last edited by Boogiedown; 06-03-2021 at 03:17 AM.

When this came out, everyone I knew thought it sounded like "I Feel Love".

Whenever I play this, I always play Thelma Houston's "Love Masterpiece" as well, as it's also from TGIF.

Always loved this song and the new remix was great.
    Motown released as a single then pulled it .it was like the left hand didn't know what the right hand was doing.
    Hopefully one day before I retire we might get an expanded edition

I'm confused by the talk of mixes ! I have the version on the 1986 anthology cd which one is that ?

Quote Originally Posted by nomis View Post
    I'm confused by the talk of mixes ! I have the version on the 1986 anthology cd which one is that ?
    It's the same as on the Ross album, IIRC. Here's the original unedited mix, which is more or less the same as the one from Thank God It's Friday:

It's the same as on the Ross album, IIRC. Here's the original unedited mix, which is more or less the same as the one from Thank God It's Friday:

Thank you sansradio

I prefer this version much more to the other I am familiar with. I thought it was a very pale imitation of I Feel Love. This version, the singing seems to shine through in the mix. I don't think it is single material, though, from someone who gave us the classic Love Hangover, but it is pleasant enough.

Quote Originally Posted by 144man View Post
    I agree. I think it definitely has a lot of influence from the earlier Donna Summer song. The opening sort of staccato background and the music during the break is very evocative of “I Feel Love.” In turn, Moroder and company were very influenced by Kraftwerk and you hear a lot of them in their output, especially “I Feel Love.”

This did not help Diana Ross' standing with the fickle disco devotees who were quick to drop you like a bad dollar if they sensed "a been there done that" quality to your release. [their unpredictable freshness is part of what made each of Donna Summer's outputs so successful, She sounded reinvented every time, and always with a sound ahead of the curve ]
    Putting out something that sounded like something Donna Summer had already done made Diana look like she was chasing after her, trying to be like her, playing catch-up. The disco 'community' didn't like that , they already had their Donna Summer, who they worshiped . They wanted Diana to be Diana.
    "we already did I FEEL LOVE last summer " was the general response to LLG.

kenneth:
    I agree. I think it definitely has a lot of influence from the earlier Donna Summer song. The opening sort of staccato background and the music during the break is very evocative of “I Feel Love.” In turn, Moroder and company were very influenced by Kraftwerk and you hear a lot of them in their output, especially “I Feel Love.
    I've always regarded I FEEL LOVE as a stand alone unprecedented musical revolution. What Kraftwerk song compares to it? I guess AUTOBAHN to a degree...others that are moreso?
    Last edited by Boogiedown; 06-05-2021 at 12:45 PM.

Here is how a couple of very clever guys viewed disco in 1979.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vp-qVbQTMzw

---To fuel the situation, once the actual intended original version of the song got quickly whisked away , all that was known was the 'Giorgio' I FEEL LOVE knock-off.
    Adding to the almost entirely synth sound of it, was Diana's repeating of the word 'feel'... I feel like livin' again etc.... over and over .....as in I FEEL love and then the line, Since you came, seemed to have been influenced by Donna's habit of using 'come/cum' references in several of her songs . This added to the sense of this being a Donna Summer imitation.

It was quite surprising to learn decades later that the original composition of the song with these nuances was miles away from trying to sound like I FEEL LOVE and that Diana Ross had nothing to do with it being finalized to sound that way [?], and certainly not originally as she recorded it.
    Last edited by Boogiedown; 06-05-2021 at 12:50 PM.

As "I Feel Love" was supposed to represent music of the future on Donna Summer's album, logically it would have been neccessary to have that sound recaptured at a later date to make its prophetic nature come true.

As "I Feel Love" was supposed to represent music of the future on Donna Summer's album, logically it would have been neccessary to have that sound recaptured at a later date to make its prophetic nature come true.
    Exactly right and the disco/dance music of the last thirty five years has been almost entirely dominated by EDM ....electronic dance music first heard on the entirely synthesized sound of I FEEL LOVE .

I think Diana going techno would've been OK , had it not been so similar in feeling to I FEEL LOVE, although having said that , I'd say Gloria Gaynor was wise to steer clear of any semblance of Donna Summer imitating .

Exploring this sound of the future didn't have to mean winding up sounding as duplicating as this :

i.e. with results like this:

@boogie,

I wouldn’t have been able to pick out a specific Kraftwerk song from memory that influenced the Donna Summer/ Giorgio Moroder track, but this interesting article points to one particular track and I think if it was sped up a little it could almost have been the backing track to “I feel love.“

https://pitchfork.com/features/artic...s-i-feel-love/

If this song had come out straight after 'Love Hangover' I think it might be better regarded.

Diana chopped and changed between so many styles between 75 & 80, it was probably hard for anyone - especially record-buying kids - not already a fan - to latch on to her music.
    Last edited by Levi Stubbs Tears; 06-07-2021 at 08:58 AM.

Thanks Kenneth!

Also mystifying why in the world did Motown submit a song to this disco project that was edited to 3:21 in length !? What DJ is going to play that?

Hal Davis certainly knew better having already created LOVE HANGOVER as well as DON'T LEAVE ME THIS WAY, both pressed in disco appropriate long 12" versions. I remain convinced Hal Davis wasn't aiming for a disco tune with this outing of LLG , and never designed it for THANK GOD ITS FRIDAY. Motown just grabbed what they had, and this was it.

I don't know when this longer version was revealed? It wasn't available back then, but since it existed I'm surprised Motown didn't at least submit that longer running time for the soundtrack . But in this case it doesn't make the tune any more disco, it isn't longer because of a break or two in the middle, it just runs on longer with refrains and some 'ad lib' and the way it continues it more so calls attention to the fact it isn't quite disco. While it isn't unheard of, a saxophone solo is more associated with rock 'n roll. As for the ad libs , they sound inserted , and I'm not sure why they want Diana Ross mispronouncing "instrument" on there ??

Quote Originally Posted by Boogiedown View Post
    I don't know when this longer version was revealed? It wasn't available back then, but since it existed I'm surprised Motown didn't at least submit that longer running time for the soundtrack . But in this case it doesn't make the tune any more disco, it isn't longer because of a break or two in the middle, it just runs on longer with refrains and some 'ad lib' and the way it continues it more so calls attention to the fact it isn't quite disco. While it isn't unheard of, a saxophone solo is more associated with rock 'n roll. As for the ad libs , they sound inserted , and I'm not sure why they want Diana Ross mispronouncing "instrument" on there ??

Boogie - this version was released on the 2001 Ross Motown Anthology cd

Thank you Nomis .... are there liner notes with this anthology? Anything new divulged about LLG? Was this full rendition artificially created/updated or is it pressed as found in the vault??

-----

We haven't even mentioned the original drumming on this song. Classic disco's rudiment has a constant four on the floor driving beat, and despite being prominent , its presence isn't featured . It is mostly assisted by the tiss tiss of the high hat, and rarely are crashing cymbals heard.
    LOVIN' is far from that formula with stop and go drumming with lots of rolls and and an over abundance of cymbal crashes :

This drumming has more of a galloping quality and I have no idea why every time Diana sings "feel" and "came" it requires an accompanying cymbol crash?

Boogie I don't think the cd booklet gave details but that Is the original mix from the vaults from what I understand

I think this version nice enough if a little tame. The song was screaming out for hot remix. The Almighty remix is the ultimate for me.

I think this version nice enough if a little tame. The song was screaming out for hot remix. The Almighty remix is the ultimate for me.
    I still haven't got around to listening to that version.