[REMOVE ADS]

Week 1 of Dancing With the Stars and Mary Wilson Did Her THANG!

I just finished watching Mary's segment on "DWTS" and she was GREAT! She danced to "Baby Love" which I was not expecting at all. I saw Bubba Knight of Gladys Knight & the Pips there cheering Mary on. We could not vote tonight, but I'll ready to vote next week.
    Last edited by marv2; 09-16-2019 at 09:53 PM.

She and her partner came in 5th. Great start. She was wonderful! How does it work with judges and popular vote?

She did a subdued fox trot. I figured they'd start her out with a Supemes' number but I'd have chosen something besides tired old "Baby Love." The judges clearly loved her and she placed in the top six. Not bad at all. She was happy and excited and looked great, despite her gown which really didn't flatter her. Celery green's not her color and the lower portion was constructed of several chiffon panels which didn't move all that well. I spotted Mark Bego and Freda Payne in her "cheering section."

Quote Originally Posted by BigAl View Post
    She did a subdued fox trot. I figured they'd start her out with a Supemes' number but I'd have chosen something besides tired old "Baby Love." The judges clearly loved her and she placed in the top six. Not bad at all. She was happy and excited and looked great, despite her gown which really didn't flatter her. Celery green's not her color and the lower portion was constructed of several chiffon panels which didn't move all that well. I spotted Mark Bego and Freda Payne in her "cheering section."
    I tried freezing the picture or pausing it when they showed Mary's friends,but it was dark, poor lighting. I thought I saw her eldest grandson Mark. I agree about Baby Love.

Quote Originally Posted by luke View Post
    She and her partner came in 5th. Great start. She was wonderful! How does it work with judges and popular vote?
    I don't know how the public votes and judges votes tie in. I really never watch this show. I watched a couple of times when they had Gladys Knight on.

Check out Mary kicking up her legs!!!!

Mary has always been a great dancer. I hope she really lets loose.

Mary has always been a great dancer. I hope she really lets loose.
    She always did the choreography perfectly back in the day. I hope that give her faster music next time.

Damn for 75, she put on a fantastic performance. The important part is that she is happy!

Cool performance. Horrible choice of song [[I'm sure not Mary's choice). Cringy moment at the beginning with that Diana impression. Too early to tell how this will go down but I'm hoping Mary ultimately takes it all. She deserves it.

Wendy Williams asked on her show yesterday if Diana would be watching!

That was cute. I liked the dress and she sure could kick those legs.

her legs looked stunning! next time she needs some better hair spray to keep the wig from getting caught on her lashes lolol

i thought Mary did a fine job. to be honest though, i thought she would have executed it better. as stated above, mary was always flawless during their routines in the 60s. and she's certainly done intricate choreography before. now sure, a trio dancing to Rockabye your Baby versus partner ballroom dancing is a different thing. and frankly during the MSS years, she was NOT on her game with the choreography. that intricate disco dancing was usually sloppy and often mary was the one out of step. but i just figured that was cuz they were rehearsing well.

not at all surprised with Baby Love. that's one of the most iconic of all sup songs and sure, us top fans are sort of bored with it. but the general public would love it. also it had a beat and tempo that would work well enough with this dance style

during the dancing i also missed some of Mary's amazing mega-wat smile. probably nerves.

i'm crossing my fingers for an even stronger week 2

I think anyone who is a fan of Mary and/or Diana, or anyone remotely familiar with either lady and their history together, have let the question cross their mind, if only for a moment. I don't know if Diana watched last night, but I'm pretty sure next Monday she'll be watching the premiere of "Bob Hearts Abishola" on CBS, as will I.

Quote Originally Posted by sup_fan View Post
    her legs looked stunning! next time she needs some better hair spray to keep the wig from getting caught on her lashes lolol

i thought Mary did a fine job. to be honest though, i thought she would have executed it better. as stated above, mary was always flawless during their routines in the 60s. and she's certainly done intricate choreography before. now sure, a trio dancing to Rockabye your Baby versus partner ballroom dancing is a different thing. and frankly during the MSS years, she was NOT on her game with the choreography. that intricate disco dancing was usually sloppy and often mary was the one out of step. but i just figured that was cuz they were rehearsing well.

not at all surprised with Baby Love. that's one of the most iconic of all sup songs and sure, us top fans are sort of bored with it. but the general public would love it. also it had a beat and tempo that would work well enough with this dance style

during the dancing i also missed some of Mary's amazing mega-wat smile. probably nerves.

i'm crossing my fingers for an even stronger week 2
    I thought her execution needed some work. She seemed to slug it a bit. However, I quickly reminded myself that the lady is 75 not 25, and for a 75 year old she appears to be holding her own.

While "Baby Love" is one of the most annoying songs in the Supremes catalog, my biggest issue with it in the context of the program is that it seems a bit tacky for someone to have to compete to their own song.

It's great fun watching one of the original Supremes strutting their stuff on the dance floor. I really hope Mary is enjoying the experience.. Is this a top ratings show in the USA?.
    Agree about the song being a cheesy choice. "You Keep Me Hanging On" would have added a touch more class for such an event. Would be great if success on the show led to something/anything being released on Mary.
    Anyway, I look forward to seeing her in the next round.

Quote Originally Posted by Ollie9 View Post
    It's great fun watching one of the original Supremes strutting their stuff on the dance floor. I really hope Mary is enjoying the experience.. Is this a top ratings show in the USA?.
    Agree about the song being a cheesy choice. "You Keep Me Hanging On" would have added a touch more class for such an event. Would be great if success on the show led to something/anything being released on Mary.
    It is a HUGE show here in the U.S.

I think the camera people for "DWTS" are excellent.

The show was almost cancelled because of low ratings. The show was also condemned for what was considered to be poor contestants. They went from D list stars to Z list. It went on a hiatus and was revamped. It’s a guilty pleasure for some. I watch a few shows here and there, depending on who is dancing.

Hollywood Reporter says 8 million people watched last night. Not too shabby I'd say.

Did anyone else see Marla Gibbs in the audience? Didn't she and Mary dance together on "227"? Bless her 88 year old self for coming out to support her friend.

Quote Originally Posted by marybrewster View Post
    Hollywood Reporter says 8 million people watched last night. Not too shabby I'd say.

Did anyone else see Marla Gibbs in the audience? Didn't she and Mary dance together on "227"? Bless her 88 year old self for coming out to support her friend.
    I missed seeing Marla Gibbs. Yes she and Mary performed a song together on "227"when Mary guest starred in 1988. My brother said he saw Freda Payne. I did see Bubba Knight and Mark Bego.
    Last edited by marv2; 09-17-2019 at 03:22 PM.

Look at that frozen video above of her face . That is one stunning woman. She looks like Elizabeth Taylor in her youth. Amazing!

Look at that frozen video above of her face . That is one stunning woman. She looks like Elizabeth Taylor in her youth. Amazing!
    She most certainly does. When I look at Mary on the Ed Sullivan Show when they first performed "Come See About Me" in 1964 I always imagined that is what Cleopatra would have looked like! The REAL Cleopatra LOL!

You were quite a wise young lad!!

Quote Originally Posted by Ollie9 View Post
    According to reports, it was the highest rated, most watch program during prime time last night!

You were quite a wise young lad!!
    I was very, very young too, but my eyes gravitated towards that "pretty girl" daddy and have not stop looking in all these years LOL! They were all very nice looking that night before some shit gets started here. LOL!

Oh that must have been your favorite part of the interview.

Hey Mary:
    Your eyes are as young and bright at you are. Did not see Marla. But then I'm not as young and bright as you. Been to the Dakota recently?

Hollywood Reporter says 8 million people watched last night. Not too shabby I'd say....
    Lime Salsa Sean Spicer said that it was the largest audience to ever witness an episode of DWTS......PERIOD

It was the most watched show in the country last night in prime time between 8-10 p.m. Reminds me of the good old days when everyone watched the Ed Sullivan Show. Everyone in my family watched Mary on DWTS last night.

I thought Mary was stunning. I wasn’t and I’m not expecting her to be a great dancer because what they are doing on this show is completely different from what she did with the Supremes and the limited choreography that they had, but whatever, she looks sensational she performed just fine the audience enjoyed her and For 75 years old there is absolutely nothing to pick at. Except her costumes.

Quote Originally Posted by TheMotownManiac View Post
    I thought Mary was stunning. I wasn’t and I’m not expecting her to be a great dancer because what they are doing on this show is completely different from what she did with the Supremes and the limited choreography that they had, but whatever, she looks sensational she performed just fine the audience enjoyed her and For 75 years old there is absolutely nothing to pick at. Except her costumes.
    the only
    Thing i have to pic at is t poor choice of her number. Baby love. Everything else was just wonderful she executed perfectly her and her partner looked great. She shined between t book and her performance her stock has risen so much for putting the supremes in a box. Congrats mary.

Quote Originally Posted by TheMotownManiac View Post
    Mary was wonderful the choreography poped i didnt care for the choice of baby love but she and her partner d i d a great job. I saw nothing wrong w her costume. With t book and her continued showing on dwts sd her stock has risen and so has that of t supremes as a unit so much f putiing the supremes in a box.

Quote Originally Posted by franjoy56 View Post
    Mary was wonderful the choreography poped i didnt care for the choice of baby love but she and her partner d i d a great job. I saw nothing wrong w her costume. With t book and her continued showing on dwts sd her stock has risen and so has that of t supremes as a unit so much f putiing the supremes in a box.
    There are young kids that are just now learning who Mary Wilson and the Supremes are. I think it's great. Go Mary!