[REMOVE ADS]

Diana Ross' 1982 Brussels concert [[with Marvin Gaye)

Hi folks!
    Is there any info about Diana's 1982 Brussels show? Was it recorded entire? What was the setlist?
    The only footage I know is from the videoclip of "Missing You".
    If you have any info and you can share with me I'll be grateful!

I don't know anything for certain about the Brussels show. But I would think that the entire show was recorded. I know that she gave an interview to Gerri Hershey during that tour and Hershey noted that there was someone filming highlights, both onstage and backstage. For what purpose, I have no idea. Like most of us, I've only seen the footage shown in the MISSING YOU video.

Re the set list, this was what Diana sang when I saw her in August of 1982. I doubt much changed between this and the earlier European leg of the tour.

AIN'T NO MOUNTAIN HIGH ENOUGH

I'M COMING OUT

THE BOSS

TOUCH ME IN THE MORNING

IT'S MY HOUSE / NO ONE GETS THE PRIZE

REACH OUT AND TOUCH

SUPREMES MEDLEY:
    REFLECTIONS-BABY LOVE-STOP! IN THE NAME OF LOVE-LOVE IS LIKE AN ITCHING IN MY HEART

REMEMBER ME

LADY SINGS THE BLUES

T'AIN'T NOBODY'S BIZNESS IF I DO

I CRIED FOR YOU

MY MAN

MIRROR, MIRROR

Intermission

YOU KEEP ME HANGIN' ON

UPSIDE DOWN

WHY DO FOOLS FALL IN LOVE

WORK THAT BODY

THEME FROM MAHOGANY / AIN'T NO MOUNTAIN HIGH ENOUGH

ENDLESS LOVE

Some similarity to today - but longer; age shows and follows the routine that is now common for an entertainer of that vintage

The current DR show is a bore for longterm fans.

John G. Stumpf Guest
    This set list is not that different from her current show 37 years later.

Quote Originally Posted by John G. Stumpf View Post
    I remember hearing Diana originally intended to include a full concert VHS in the Forever Diana box set. I believe it was the show filmed in Brussels. Motown was concerned with the additional costs involved, so it didn't happen.

Perhaps the show was originally filmed for cable or VHS release, but plans may have changed when the Central Park idea was presented. I do not know...

That pretty much is the same show for the last three and a half decades. The only real difference is the Supremes songs have been expanded.

It's really not the same show. She isn't doing Mirror Mirror lately or Remember Me. These shows were much longer with an intermission. I remember "Work that body" was at least 15 minutes long with a lot of audience participation. Same for "Reach out and touch". She would be all over the audience. It looks like "Why do fools fall in love" was her latest album. Her shows changed every year to include new material from her latest album releases. The next year she had "Muscles" and "Fool for your love" added. And "Muscles" was over 15 minutes long with audience participation. So no her show have not been the same for the last 37 years. Now days she just performs all the hits.

I don't think for the last 3 concerts I have seen Diana that she sung;
    TOUCH ME IN THE MORNING
    IT'S MY HOUSE / NO ONE GETS THE PRIZE
    REACH OUT AND TOUCH
    REMEMBER ME
    Lady Sings The Blues
    T'AIN'T NOBODY'S BIZNESS IF I DO
    I CRIED FOR YOU
    MY MAN
    MIRROR, MIRROR
    WORK THAT BODY
    Endless Love

I think Don't Explain has replaced the LSTB songs.....
    Love Child has been included in the Supreme melody and
    I have not heard Muscles since New York.
    Also please bring back "Its My Turn" and "Good Morning Heartache".

There are so many songs in her history of music and yes I am certain the Brussels show was taped. Whether it still exist or not is another story.

John G. Stumpf Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by vgalindo View Post
    It's really not the same show. She isn't doing Mirror Mirror lately or Remember Me. These shows were much longer with an intermission. I remember "Work that body" was at least 15 minutes long with a lot of audience participation. Same for "Reach out and touch". She would be all over the audience. It looks like "Why do fools fall in love" was her latest album. Her shows changed every year to include new material from her latest album releases. The next year she had "Muscles" and "Fool for your love" added. And "Muscles" was over 15 minutes long with audience participation. So no her show have not been the same for the last 37 years. Now days she just performs all the hits.
    The current show is shorter but is essentially the same regarding the material. Two divas have been accused of having the same show for 4 decades. In the exact same slots they insert material from the latest release and remove songs from previous release to keep the show 'current'.

The current show is shorter but is essentially the same regarding the material. Two divas have been accused of having the same show for 4 decades. In the exact same slots they insert material from the latest release and remove songs from previous release to keep the show 'current'.
    Im real curious, when was the last time you saw Diane in concert Marvin?

Quote Originally Posted by Roberta75 View Post
    Im real curious, when was the last time you saw Diane in concert Marvin?
    Um, last week?

This is interesting. So was Marvin Gaye at this concert in Brussels ? Guess it was at the time that he was living there. Did he come up on stage and sing with Miss Ross ? Sounds like the video would then be owned by Anaid Productions/Ross Records.

Next, interesting to see that she was doing Remember Me in 1982. I saw her in Sept 1981 at the Riviera Hotel in Vegas and she wasn't doing Remember Me in Vegas, unless it was because Vegas shows were usually shorter than full concert halls. Has Miss Ross included Remember Me then off and on in concerts.

John G. Stumpf Guest
    Fans record her shows on their cellphones and post them on Youtube.

Quote Originally Posted by greg jones View Post
    This is interesting. So was Marvin Gaye at this concert in Brussels ? Guess it was at the time that he was living there. Did he come up on stage and sing with Miss Ross ? Sounds like the video would then be owned by Anaid Productions/Ross Records.

Next, interesting to see that she was doing Remember Me in 1982. I saw her in Sept 1981 at the Riviera Hotel in Vegas and she wasn't doing Remember Me in Vegas, unless it was because Vegas shows were usually shorter than full concert halls. Has Miss Ross included Remember Me then off and on in concerts.
    Footage of Diana and Marvin on stage in Brussels is included in her MISSING YOU video.

Re REMEMBER ME, the first time I heard her do it in concert was in 1979. She sang it again when I saw her in 1982 and 1984. She hasn't performed it at any of the concerts I've attended since then.

I saw her in 1981 in Lake Tahoe and she did Remember Me.

Fans record her shows on their cellphones and post them on Youtube.
    Thanks Marvin.

John G. Stumpf Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Roberta75 View Post
    Thanks Marvin.
    anytime robert