[REMOVE ADS]

time travel to see ONE show

or live appearance.

which would it be? Farewell? Copa opening? Flo's last show?

Without question or hesitation and full stop... Judy Garland at Carnegie Hall.

^lolol true that's a very good one

now how about one of the Supremes or one by DR, MW

Quote Originally Posted by sup_fan View Post
    ^lolol true that's a very good one

now how about one of the Supremes or one by DR, MW
    Oh. That would have to be one of the early Copa shows. Preferably the one where they were rumored to sing LILAIIMH.

Quote Originally Posted by thanxal View Post
    Without question or hesitation and full stop... Judy Garland at Carnegie Hall.
    Yup. I'm there with you.

Couldn’t agree more about Judy at Carnegie Hall......The lengthy over the rainbow encore music has been going through my head all morning - funny you should mention it!

as far as a supreme’s related show, Perhaps the final farewell show, or Rosses first solo show before she had even recorded reach out and touch.
    Last edited by TheMotownManiac; 10-10-2019 at 03:38 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by PeaceNHarmony View Post
    Yup. I'm there with you.
    I can not get over the fact that no one thought to video the show. I mean, its Judy. And Carnegie. Did anyone at all think it wouldn't be the concert of the century?

Maybe a show at the Flamingo in '66. They seemed to be on the top of their game in mid-late '66.

The Supremes at the Rooster Tail in 1966
    The Supremes Vegas summer of 1967..

Oh. That would have to be one of the early Copa shows. Preferably the one where they were rumored to sing LILAIIMH.
    My old brain can't quite decipher....what is LILAIIMH? Thanks

Love Is Like An Itchin In My Heart!

The Supremes final show on June 12, 1977 Mary Wilson's farewell.

I think one of the UK shows in 1965. Supremes, Martha & Vandellas, Tempts, Miracles & Stevie Wonder all on one bill - most of them at the peak of their powers.

Quote Originally Posted by Levi Stubbs Tears View Post
    I think one of the UK shows in 1965. Supremes, Martha & Vandellas, Tempts, Miracles & Stevie Wonder all on one bill - most of them at the peak of their powers.
    An Evening With Diana Ross on Broadway!!

The historically significant [[concerning The Supremes) show where Flo sticks her stomach out.

this is a tough one for me. I think i would go to the final farewell. I really debated about one of the Roostertail Sept 66 shows just because the girls seem really hot and had advanced so far from the Copa show. plus i don't think things were quite sooooo bad internally yet [[like they were in Vegas 67).

there's so much talk about the quips Mary was delivering, all of the other stars they couldn't get to sign releases for Sunshine, introducing Jean, etc.

I can not get over the fact that no one thought to video the show. I mean, its Judy. And Carnegie. Did anyone at all think it wouldn't be the concert of the century?
    judy did a lot of shows back then and was sometimes dismissed as problematic, etc somewhat clouding the sheer genius of her art. No,one could touch her and everyone knew it - including Judy. How amazing be be so gifted that the likes of the greatest singers of the time never intimidated her…… Ethel Merman, Frank Sinatra, Tony Bennett, Barbra Streisand…… She wasn’t even 5 feet tall, but her voice, even past its prime, could not be equalled I am sure no one filmed it because it’s not a very big venue , and really it was just another Judy show…… Until it happened.

I feel the same way about diana at Pantages…… And I was there…… And you had to be there because there’s no way to describe it…… And I don’t know even if it had been filmed if it would’ve captured the energy in that theater that night…… Of course, it would’ve shown her and what had to have been the concert of her life, And that slow Strut she did when she came out in the new Bob Mackie lady sings the blues gown as the band vamped fine and mellow - I have never in my life heard an audience as loud as that moment that night - it literally was deafening....she knew she was destroying the audience and she was loving it!

Quote Originally Posted by TheMotownManiac View Post
    judy did a lot of shows back then and was sometimes dismissed as problematic, etc somewhat clouding the sheer genius of her art. No,one could touch her and everyone knew it - including Judy. How amazing be be so gifted that the likes of the greatest singers of the time never intimidated her…… Ethel Merman, Frank Sinatra, Tony Bennett, Barbra Streisand…… She wasn’t even 5 feet tall, but her voice, even past its prime, could not be equalled I am sure no one filmed it because it’s not a very big venue , and really it was just another Judy show…… Until it happened.

I feel the same way about diana at Pantages…… And I was there…… And you had to be there because there’s no way to describe it…… And I don’t know even if it had been filmed if it would’ve captured the energy in that theater that night…… Of course, it would’ve shown her and what had to have been the concert of her life, And that slow Strut she did when she came out in the new Bob Mackie lady sings the blues gown as the band vamped fine and mellow - I have never in my life heard an audience as loud as that moment that night - it literally was deafening....she knew she was destroying the audience and she was loving it!
    Was Pantages recorded at all? Would love to hear it, but nothing shows up on Amazon. Or was it released with a different title?

You're correct about being there. I had the very, very great fortune of seeing Ella Fitzgerald at Wolf Trap in the late 80s or early 90s. I was young and she was well past the peak of her career but it was unreal. So was seeing Aretha at MichFest in the mid/late 90s.

Maybe its Carnegie as a venue, not Judy's producers? Perhaps it's not good for filming. I splurged and bought the DCC gold disc version of Judy at Carnegie and its a very different listening experience. Other than keep the mixing very minimal, they left in all the chatter. Occasionally when I put on the record, I can't get through it and have to go back to the DCC version.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyB View Post
    An Evening With Diana Ross on Broadway!!
    Great choice. I was 4th row center audience for one of the shows and it was utterly epic.

My guess is that the show was 'just another' night in the tour and that foresight just wasn't there. The few seconds of audience-filmed clips are so thrilling. I'm glad we have the audio!

As for Diana with Supremes my choice would be Trude Heller's in Manhattan.

Hey MotownManiac, I was there at the Pantages, too! Unforgettable night. She was Home, with her family and Motown family [[Berry, Smokey, Brian, etc.) I never saw a more enraptured audience. If I didn't get to see Diana in concert again, I'm happy I was at the Pantages. My other favorite Diana concerts were the Ahmanson Theater [[which was recorded for An Evening With Diana Ross) and the Hollywood Bowl in 2016 [[another Family affair).

great memory!! when was this show? what was the concert she was doing then?

As far as I know, nothing exists from Pantages__not a snip of anything and it’s just a shame.

judy at Carnegie, I can only listen to the full show. I WANT To hear over the rainbow vamped forever after Swanee and After You’ve Gone. I’ve been playing it a lot lately, ditto Judy In Hollywood and my faves from the tv show. It’s possible that The Supremes Would have done her show in the second season if it got renewed.

QUOTE=thanxal;542642]Was Pantages recorded at all? Would love to hear it, but nothing shows up on Amazon. Or was it released with a different title?

You're correct about being there. I had the very, very great fortune of seeing Ella Fitzgerald at Wolf Trap in the late 80s or early 90s. I was young and she was well past the peak of her career but it was unreal. So was seeing Aretha at MichFest in the mid/late 90s.

Maybe its Carnegie as a venue, not Judy's producers? Perhaps it's not good for filming. I splurged and bought the DCC gold disc version of Judy at Carnegie and its a very different listening experience. Other than keep the mixing very minimal, they left in all the chatter. Occasionally when I put on the record, I can't get through it and have to go back to the DCC version.[/QUOTE]

Quote Originally Posted by sup_fan View Post
    great memory!! when was this show? what was the concert she was doing then?
    She opened with take me higher and did her current show except:

added
    I ain’t been licked, when you tell me that you love me, it’s my turn, remember me, your love and did fine and mellow and don’t explain for the first time both of which went over like gangbusters… Like I said before, there’s no way to describe that show, that performance when she did don’t explain, she was so intense that the audience began to yell and scream because they were caught up with the tension… I’ve never seen anything like it I was in the front row, And I wanted to scream but I couldn’t scream right in her face so instead I grabbed my friends arm and held on for dear life…… To this day he tells people the Mark I left is a tattoo. The audience starting to lose it, and the air was so thick with electricity and energy and she was aware of it, anymore and she would’ve lost control of the audience and she turned around walk towards the back of the stage and finished the song with her back to the audience because I think even she was afraid that something unparalleled in the history of physics was about to happen. I’m sure lucky will verify this.

The new show, or should I say current show, LOL, has more today than yesterday, but the look of love and take me higher medley. I can’t remember if she did I am coming out or not, but she must.

I was lucky enough to see some of the performances that you guys listed above, but something that I wish I had seen was the Farewell Performance of Diana Ross & the Supremes.

Also, the comments about Judy Garland were interesting to me. I only recently appreciated her talent and that she was one of the World's Greatest Entertainers. I would have loved to have seen her perform at the Astrodome with the Supremes.

Judy is back in the news again with a movie playing called JUDY, which is about the last year of her life. It was great. And this weekend, I saw a musical about Judy's early beginnings called CHASING RAINBOWS.

It sure would have been nice to see Judy Garland & the Supremes together.

No one could touch Judy......not even close. Not even miles away. Not quite 5 feet tall and she blew the house down even during an off night. I highly suggest her TV series clips as a barometer.... As long as he needs me, dirty hands dirty face, just in time, medleys with Streisand and Martha RayE.... Thanks for posting that Judy stuff - it’s very likely that that concert grossed $200,000 or more which was gigantic money back then, but Judy never had a dime.

No one could touch Judy......not even close. Not even miles away. Not quite 5 feet tall and she blew the house down even during an off night. I highly suggest her TV series clips as a barometer.... As long as he needs me, dirty hands dirty face, just in time, medleys with Streisand and Martha RayE.... Thanks for posting that Judy stuff - it’s very likely that that concert grossed $200,000 or more which was gigantic money back then, but Judy never had a dime.
    I could not agree more. That Carnegie Hall concert is the pinnacle of pinnacles. It astounds me every single time I listen to it.

I think the show in Windsor when there were 4 Primettes or Supremes would complete my history of the girls.

Quote Originally Posted by PeaceNHarmony View Post
    Great choice. I was 4th row center audience for one of the shows and it was utterly epic.
    That must have been something very very special.

I would like to have seen one of their early trio shows, in the 1962-63 range.