[REMOVE ADS]

Motown Encyclopedia published in 2014 by Graham Betts

Does anyone know if Graham Betts will ever publish an updated 2nd edition of the 590 page book that was last published in 2014? I don't know how many people have it and look at it but it is an extremely valuable reference book covering a lot of Motown history.

I am hoping that if he ever does he makes three small realignments which should make the book a lot easier to use.

The book should be divided into two sections.

Section 1: Motown artists and executives

Section 2: Songs, i. e. I Hear a Symphony - Supremes - album. All songs should be in one section not interspersed with artists, etc.

Section 3: An index at the back telling what page xyz is located on.

I would be more than pleased to buy a second edition since obviously he is not going to go the internet route as many companies do.

What are other Motown Forum members thoughts on my suggestion.

Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by woodward View Post
    Does anyone know if Graham Betts will ever publish an updated 2nd edition of the 590 page book that was last published in 2014? I don't know how many people have it and look at it but it is an extremely valuable reference book covering a lot of Motown history.

I am hoping that if he ever does he makes three small realignments which should make the book a lot easier to use.

The book should be divided into two sections.

Section 1: Motown artists and executives

Section 2: Songs, i. e. I Hear a Symphony - Supremes - album. All songs should be in one section not interspersed with artists, etc.

Section 3: An index at the back telling what page xyz is located on.

I would be more than pleased to buy a second edition since obviously he is not going to go the internet route as many companies do.

What are other Motown Forum members thoughts on my suggestion.

Thanks.
    I didn't even know about the Motown Encylopedia from 2014 before reading your post. If they ever publish a 2nd edition, I agree with your suggestions for updates to the book [and I'd gladly pick up a copy of it as well].

I am surprised you were unaware of the 2014 version. It was the long awaited first edition although it is not marked at the beginning as such. I was lucky enough to get mine autographed by Graham. Since you apparently do not have one, if you are living here in the USA I would be more than happy to lend you mine. I could ship it to you via media mail for a mere $3 or so. I would never ship it to the UK or it would cost $50 at least. Let me know. Send me a private message through the forum. I would be happy to share it with you. Everyone under the sun is covered in it.

My partner bought me this book when it came out, which I'm very glad he did as I was totally unaware of it until I opened it at Christmas. As Woodward states, tons of good information. I do agree that a different setup as suggested would make it a bit easier to navigate.

Hi!

Here's my short review from 2014 -

https://www.soulexpress.net/deep5_2014.htm#motown

Best regards
    Heikki

Quote Originally Posted by woodward View Post
    I am surprised you were unaware of the 2014 version. It was the long awaited first edition although it is not marked at the beginning as such. I was lucky enough to get mine autographed by Graham. Since you apparently do not have one, if you are living here in the USA I would be more than happy to lend you mine. I could ship it to you via media mail for a mere $3 or so. I would never ship it to the UK or it would cost $50 at least. Let me know. Send me a private message through the forum. I would be happy to share it with you. Everyone under the sun is covered in it.
    Thanks so much for your offer, however, I found a copy of The Motown Encyclopedia for sale [at a good price] at eBay so I'm going to pick it up. Looking forward to reading the book!

Personally I think it's a must have publication and I'm happy with it just the way it is. I don't believe it was ever intended as a discography. However I would buy an updated version should one be forthcoming. Try asking Graham who has been a contributor to this site as hotspurman