[REMOVE ADS]

Brian & Eddie Holland - 70's Motown Output

When Brian and Eddie Holland returned to write / produce at Motown in the 70's, I know they worked with the following artists:

Thelma Houston - I Can't Go On Living Without Your Love
    Diana Ross - We Can Never Light That Old Flame Again
    Jr. Walker - Hot Shot album
    The Supremes - 1975 Album / High Energy / Mary, Scherrie & Susaye

Is there anything else to add to this list? Were they writing / producing outside of Motown at the time as well?

Dynamic Superiors - Give and Take album
    Three Ounces of Love - In the Middle of the Feeling; I've Got a Right to Be Loved

Cannot forget the Michael Jackson cuts from his 1975 solo album, cuts from the Temptations House Party album.

G.C. Cameron: You're What's Missing In My Life in 1977. The track "Don't Tear Down What Took So Long To Build" is the standout track to me. Great James Carmichael arrangement as well as a shades of Brian Hollands Detroit roots with it's melancholy chords and strong melody[[an HDH trademark). As good as this stuff is from this period, to say Lamont Dozier's presence wasn't missed would certainly be an understatement. Genius Brian is/was, Lamont matters!!.

HDH produced some great work for Motown in the 70s. The album "Mary, Scherrie and Susaye" is a definite standout.

I had no idea HDH returned to Motown in the 70s

Diana Ross - "Fire Don't Burn"
    Eddie Kendricks - "Get The Cream Off The Top"

Quote Originally Posted by Circa 1824 View Post
    I had no idea HDH returned to Motown in the 70s
    It was only Eddie and Brian Holland. Lamont Dozier was having hits on his own as a vocalist on Warner Bros and ABC .
    Last edited by marv2; 04-30-2019 at 10:52 PM.

The HOLLANDS wrote all but one song on the Temptations BAREBACK album on Atlantic. Definitey not the quality they had in the 60s and early 70s.

Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    It was only Eddie and Brian Holland. Lamont Dozier was having hits on his own as a vocalist on Warner Bros and ABC .
    Lamont produced the California Sunset album in 1975 for the Originals and also wrote the songs. Name:  S 743 CA Sunset.jpg
Views: 942
Size:  25.2 KB

Also, the first 6 tracks on the Jackson 5's MOVING VIOLATION album from 1975 and the 3 tracks from Michael Jackson's FOREVER MICHAEL as the other person mentioned. If you put them together you would have had a full album of Brian Holland productions.

the 45 they had on Michael Jackson, "Just A Little Bit Of You" is my fave Michael Jackson record.

Quote Originally Posted by nabob View Post
    Lamont produced the California Sunset album in 1975 for the Originals and also wrote the songs. Name:  S 743 CA Sunset.jpg
Views: 942
Size:  25.2 KB
    Oh ok, he produced a project for Motown on his own.

I think the Hollands made some great stuff when they returned to Motown in the 70s. And Lamont too [[although his return was more of a one-off I think) with The Originals' fantastic California Sunset album.

Quote Originally Posted by TomatoTom123 View Post
    I think the Hollands made some great stuff when they returned to Motown in the 70s. And Lamont too [[although his return was more of a one-off I think) with The Originals' fantastic California Sunset album.
    California Sunset is one of the few great albums that Lamont produced on someone else. Who knows how it would've done commercially had Berry Gordy got behind it. Suzanne DePasse approved of this project as head of the creative division, but Berry didn't. He still considered Lamont a traitor and had he not needed the album or Suzanne confided in him it wouldn't have gotten made at all. Glad she made that boss move and just gave the green light.

Dont forget The Four Tops album Back where we belong, had a few fab tracks by the Hollands

Quote Originally Posted by Quinn View Post
    California Sunset is one of the few great albums that Lamont produced on someone else. Who knows how it would've done commercially had Berry Gordy got behind it. Suzanne DePasse approved of this project as head of the creative division, but Berry didn't. He still considered Lamont a traitor and had he not needed the album or Suzanne confided in him it wouldn't have gotten made at all. Glad she made that boss move and just gave the green light.
    Oh wow, thanks Quinn. That doesn't surprise me about Berry though. I too am very glad Lamont did come back to do the album.

Quote Originally Posted by sarjeantmelvin View Post
    Dont forget The Four Tops album Back where we belong, had a few fab tracks by the Hollands
    I forgot about that one sarjeant, I totally agree. In fact HDH reunited for the album and made some great stuff with Tops.

Quote Originally Posted by sarjeantmelvin View Post
    That was a great album. I went out and bought it as soon as it came out in the Fall of 1983.

Quote Originally Posted by Quinn View Post
    G.C. Cameron: You're What's Missing In My Life in 1977. The track "Don't Tear Down What Took So Long To Build" is the standout track to me. Great James Carmichael arrangement as well as a shades of Brian Hollands Detroit roots with it's melancholy chords and strong melody[[an HDH trademark). As good as this stuff is from this period, to say Lamont Dozier's presence wasn't missed would certainly be an understatement. Genius Brian is/was, Lamont matters!!.
    I think this is the only G.C. Cameron album not released digitally [[CD or download)

Quote Originally Posted by blkfrost View Post
    I think this is the only G.C. Cameron album not released digitally [[CD or download)
    And it's the one I want most! I also love the melancholy track "Kiss Me When You Want To".

Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    There def a lot of magic with the Holland bros “return” on High Energy. My fav of all Sups output. They are amazing. I still get a kick when I hear them coaching the ladies thru the the demo recording.

Quote Originally Posted by motown01 View Post
    When Brian and Eddie Holland returned to write / produce at Motown in the 70's, I know they worked with the following artists:

Thelma Houston - I Can't Go On Living Without Your Love
    Diana Ross - We Can Never Light That Old Flame Again
    Jr. Walker - Hot Shot album
    The Supremes - 1975 Album / High Energy / Mary, Scherrie & Susaye

Is there anything else to add to this list? Were they writing / producing outside of Motown at the time as well?
    "Yesterday Today and Forever", the 1977 Jobete promo sampler, should also be mentioned as it includes some tracks produced outside of Motown at the time.