[REMOVE ADS]

Post Motown treat from Gladys & the Pips: Taste of Bitter Love

A&S knew how to write and produce a track and Gladys just delivers! Love the entire track. Should've been a bigger dance hit.

Agree ! How about this one? Dig Ruth at the end. https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ViMgM9yWKKs

^ The Pointers were all GOING IN on this performance!!!

Taste is my favorite Pips song. I play it often.

Quote Originally Posted by luke View Post
    Agree ! How about this one? Dig Ruth at the end. https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ViMgM9yWKKs
    This is a great song. It is the song that I remember hearing when I first moved to Philly and the first time I went out there, Flannigans on South Street. What great memories.

Quote Originally Posted by midnightman View Post

A&S knew how to write and produce a track and Gladys just delivers! Love the entire track. Should've been a bigger dance hit.
    I loved this song, the album etc. "Landlord" and "Bourgie, Bourgie" were other favorites of mine from this 1980 album. More great memories, playing cards out in the park that summer LOL!

My brother lives In philly and loves it! Love Bourgie Bourgie!
    Last edited by luke; 02-25-2018 at 09:57 PM.

My brother lives I Philly and loves it! Love Bourgie Bourgie!
    Sometimes I wished I lived back in Philly. Some my best days [[and nights LOL!) were spent there.

Lol. My brother says he will never leave... the great things of a big city without the humongousness of nyc.

Lol. My brother says he will never leave... the great things of a big city without the humongousness of nyc.
    I love NYC as much as I hate it! It is "THE THUNDERDOME!" LOL!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    I loved this song, the album etc. "Landlord" and "Bourgie, Bourgie" were other favorites of mine from this 1980 album. More great memories, playing cards out in the park that summer LOL!
    My mother bought this album. I agree, the whole album is good!

Sometimes I wished I lived back in Philly. Some my best days [[and nights LOL!) were spent there.
    Same here. Back in the days of record stores, Philly was THE place to shop. I purchased many an album and cd there. Sound of Market was my favorite spot. Used to go to Sunday nights oldies with WDAS' Butterball. Oh, the memories!!

Quote Originally Posted by lockhartgary View Post
    Same here. Back in the days of record stores, Philly was THE place to shop. I purchased many an album and cd there. Sound of Market was my favorite spot. Used to go to Sunday nights oldies with WDAS' Butterball. Oh, the memories!!
    Do you remember "Plastic Fantastic" record store on Lancaster Ave.?

Do you remember "Plastic Fantastic" record store on Lancaster Ave.?
    I remember hearing about it but I've never been there.

Quote Originally Posted by lockhartgary View Post
    I remember hearing about it but I've never been there.
    It may still be there. It is a big store. One time I got stuck there for over 2 hours during a hurricane in 1985!

A great rockin' one - always loved it -

Valerie's brother , Jimmy remixed the song , but it got European and UK 12" commercial pressings only.

This version is on the album though.

One of my favorites. Loved the "About Love" album.

[QUOTE=vgalindo;442948]One of my favorites. Loved the "About Love" album.[/QUOTE

Was the entire album produced by Ashford and Simpson?

[QUOTE=masterblaster;443014]
    Quote Originally Posted by vgalindo View Post
    One of my favorites. Loved the "About Love" album.[/QUOTE

Was the entire album produced by Ashford and Simpson?
    Yes it was. They worked really good with Gladys Knight and the Pips.

Yeah, A&S produced the whole album and since Landlord was brought up:

I too love their whole "About Love" album. Their vocal take on A&S's Bourgie, Bourgie is terrific. Speaking of that song, I really really wish Ashford & Simpson did their own vocal take. Their instrumental is wonderful, but I would have loved to hear their own vocal version. Oh well.

Quote Originally Posted by DJMoch View Post
    I too love their whole "About Love" album. Their vocal take on A&S's Bourgie, Bourgie is terrific. Speaking of that song, I really really wish Ashford & Simpson did their own vocal take. Their instrumental is wonderful, but I would have loved to hear their own vocal version. Oh well.
    Yes and no for me . I wonder if A&S sensed this was a case where lyrics didn't necessarily strengthen the song ?? For some reason they chose to record it as an instrumental . [[Is that Ashford and Simpson's only instrumental release?)

Conversely I wish the flip of the John Davis version offered an instrumental:

Empress and the guys .... Luv me some Taste Of Bitter Love !.... https://vimeo.com/246334723

Loving Bourgie Bourgie too !....... https://vimeo.com/246333907

Am I too late ?........ 1979 !.. AWESOME !!!! https://vimeo.com/246323027

I remember checking out this track and liking it, but I listened to it today and absolutely loved it. I love how that happens. I also love "Bourgie, Bourgie"! I love the production on the whole About Love album really

[[I'm doing a lot of loving in this post )

Quote Originally Posted by TomatoTom123 View Post
    I remember checking out this track and liking it, but I listened to it today and absolutely loved it. I love how that happens. I also love "Bourgie, Bourgie"! I love the production on the whole About Love album really

[[I'm doing a lot of loving in this post )
    Gladys and the guys recorded some great material during their Columbia tenure. As you rightly say "about love" is an absolute gem virtually from start to finish.

Quote Originally Posted by Bluebrock View Post
    Gladys and the guys recorded some great material during their Columbia tenure. As you rightly say "about love" is an absolute gem virtually from start to finish.
    We have Ashford & Simpson to thank for that one Bluebrock. Those two were just excellent, and, crucially, consistently excellent, music makers. And I have so much more of it to get into.

We have Ashford & Simpson to thank for that one Bluebrock. Those two were just excellent, and, crucially, consistently excellent, music makers. And I have so much more of it to get into.
    I know A&S produced this album Tom. I bought the album back in the day and indeed the follow up which also had some input from A&S if my memory serves me currently, but was perhaps not quite as strong as the "about love" album. Great songs, superb production and impeccable vocals. What more could anyone possibly want?

I know A&S produced this album Tom. I bought the album back in the day and indeed the follow up which also had some input from A&S if my memory serves me currently, but was perhaps not quite as strong as the "about love" album. Great songs, superb production and impeccable vocals. What more could anyone possibly want?
    Oh yea I know that you knew Bluebrock

Oh wait I don't have the follow-up album, I need to look into that one then!!

Oh yea I know that you knew Bluebrock

Oh wait I don't have the follow-up album, I need to look into that one then!!
    The album in question is called "touch" Tom. No relation to the Supremes song!

The album in question is called "touch" Tom. No relation to the Supremes song!
    Gladys produced two tracks on the TOUCH album: LOVE WAS MADE FOR TWO [[a duet with Bubba) and a live version of I WILL SURVIVE, with the rest produced by A&S. It was a nice follow-up to ABOUT LOVE but as you said, perhaps not quite as strong.