[REMOVE ADS]

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Baby I've Got It More Motown Girls

Thank you Keith Hughes. It looks fabulous!

http://acerecords.co.uk/baby-ive-got...e-motown-girlsName:  aaaaaCDTOP-1524_1200_1200.jpg
Views: 2342
Size:  90.9 KB

Looked at the track list a little more closely. All I can say is WOW! I just love the cover photo, the poses, and Gladys gazing heavenward. As Kat & Wanda are still with us, that picture was so prophetic.

Is 'The Christmas Song' a complete version with Mary Wilson's lead?

Oops! I just noticed the sound samples. Thanks again and again.

Barbara Mcneir YOU'VE GOT POSSIBILITIES is no doubt a Mickey Gentile production.

Awesome! Another great release.

Here's the track list:

In My Heart I Know It's Right - Gladys Knight & The Pips
    Without Love You Lose A Good Feelin' [[original mix) - Brenda Holloway
    It's Been A Long Time Happenin' - Rita Wright
    Honey Don't Leave Me - The Lewis Sisters
    Baby I've Got It - Brenda Holloway
    It's Crazy Baby - Liz Lands
    There Are Things - Ann Bogan
    I'm Willing To Pay The Price - Martha & The Vandellas
    Bad News - LaBrenda Ben
    When Someone's Good To You - Oma Page
    Is This Why [[I Gave My Love To You) - Gladys Knight & The Pips
    I Up And Think Of You - Kim Weston
    It's All Right - LaBrenda Ben
    She Don't Love You [[with strings) - Mary Wells
    Mr Misery [[Let Me Be) - Martha & The Vandellas
    Playboy [[first version) - The Marvelettes
    Cookie Boy - Thelma Brown
    Keep Away - Little Lisa
    Sweet Talkin' Guy - The Marvelettes
    I Know [[You Don't Love Me No More) - Yvonne Fair
    You've Got Possibilities - Barbara McNair
    In Your Heart - Patrice Holloway
    There Was - The Lollipops
    So Long - Kim Weston
    The Christmas Song [[alt lead) - The Supremes

Oh no - not "Sweet Talkin' Guy" it's an awful version [[IMHO of course).

Quote Originally Posted by mysterysinger View Post
    Oh no - not "Sweet Talkin' Guy" it's an awful version [[IMHO of course).
    As much as I love the Marvelettes, I have to admit I was surprised that their version of this song didn't turn out better. But, hey, two Marvelettes track and the cover photo - I'm pumped!

I can see why these were left in the vault. The definitive sound was circa 1964 to 1972-ish.

Well, firstly I'd like to say thanks to ACE for another 'must have' collection.
    However....
    I'm surprised to see repeats of the Marvelettes, Brenda Holloway and Barbara McNair tracks quite so soon after so many of us have spent a small fortune on the 'Unreleased 1966' box set.
    Personally I find Brenda's 'Baby I've got it' excruciatingly awful. A new track from the vaults would have been more welcome.
    But all that aside, I'm still really looking forward to the new tracks in the collection.

WOW - thank you so much to Keith and everyone at ACE. A true blessing to have these on CD and that cover photo of my favourite girls has sent me into orbit. Who needs Elon Musk? Seriously, thanks a million

It's always a pleasure to have anything unissued from the Motown vaults, but listening to the samples of this collection proves that we might be nearing the bottom of the well. There are a few more L.A. tracks than usual,about 10 tracks that have already surfaced,and alternative versions.Giving it thought though,many quality tracks have been extracted over the years and especially recently.We have 543 tracks from the Motown Unreleased series so far,nearly 300 from Cellarful Of Motown and hundreds more from various anthologies,expanded editions, and boxed sets.Us hardcore Motown fans may possess the cream of the crop.I'm grateful and thankful for all we've gotten and for what we'll get in the future, but I have to be perspective. We've been getting this stuff on a regular basis for 28 years and we're not finished!!!.It is what it is. Thanks to the Ace/Kent team and UMe for making all of it possible and making available what you CAN find at this point in time.
    Last edited by Quinn; 02-07-2018 at 05:56 PM.

Keith, I was wondering...

For Motown Girl 3, Brenda's 'Without Love You Lose A Good Feeling' is designated as [[original mix).
    The booklet for "Motown Unreleased 1966" designated tracks for which original Motown mono mix masters were used and those for which first time mixing was done from original Motown session reels. In the former were 'Without Love..', Little Lisa- 'Keep Away', Barbara McNair- 'You Got Possibilities' ; in the latter were Gladys Knight & the Pips-'In My Heart I Know It's Right', The Marvelettes- 'Sweet Talking Guy', Brenda Holloway- 'Baby I've Got It'
    As only 'Without Love' is shown as the original mix, are any in the first grouping appearing in new mixes? Will those in the latter category contain the Richard Hughes mixes of UM1966 or are they being specially mixed for this collection?
    Thank you for including a track from "Unrelased Motown 1967" set.
    And knowing how slow Universal is in getting the Unreleased Motown 19.. volumes on cd, I'm glad that you incorporated a few tracks from previous volumes.
    I wonder if your choice of multiple seletions from the recent 1966 set might have been influenced by the fact that it was a sell-out. This may be a way for those who did not get a copy before it sold out the opportunity to own a few of the tracks on cd or may have been a kind concession to those who could not afford to buy the entire set due to cost.

Two of the selections [["I'm Willing To Pay the Price" and "Cookie Boy") are listed at DFTMC as acetates. Have the original tapes been found?
    "There Are Things" at DFTMC lists Tammi Terrell's recording with this designation [odb on Ann Bogan] . What does 'odb' mean? Over dubbed background?
    Last edited by luckyluckyme; 02-07-2018 at 09:52 PM.

Name:  av-5.jpg
Views: 1857
Size:  21.1 KB
    Amazing that I never played most of these during the 1970s. I've only heard 3 of them. I will get this CD. I look forward to hearing them.

Looks good..but hoped that some Linda Griner tracks would surface,
    Oh well, thankful for what we get.

No-one [[either at Ace or Universal) had any idea that MU66 would go to CD when we put in the clearance application for "Motown Girls 3". It took nearly a year to clear this list ...

All tracks are from tape. "odb" means overdub - there's a list of abbreviations used in "How To Use This Site". "You've Got Possibilities" was produced by Frank Wilson. You'll be able to check all the track details when the new ed of DFTMC goes live - Just A Few More Days, as Eddie would say ...

Even if some of the tracks are on MU66, any mastering by Ace would be far superior to that by UME. I'm excited to have this release. I have all of Ace's Motown releases as well as the many fantastic things it has released from the King/Federal/Deluxe labels and lots of their Composer series. All beautifully done with impeccable sound.

Back in the early days of CDs, Rhino Records was considered by many to be the top reissue label. Back then, we thought we were doing good to get 4 bonus tracks on a CD compared to what was issued on the cassette or LP. Ace has gone so far beyond what any other labels have done in terms of their creativity, making whole series out of music I never thought we'd ever be able to hear. They do it all so well.

Is there a planned street date yet?

Quote Originally Posted by snakepit View Post
    Looks good..but hoped that some Linda Griner tracks would surface,
    Oh well, thankful for what we get.
    There are only a couple of tracks left in the vaults on Linda.She only completed work on about five tracks during her eight month stay.No telling what the quality on those tunes are either,probably not that high.Inability to find a contract for the remaining songs could also be an issue.

I was told that including "Envious"'s slow and fast[[mid-tempo) versions, "Good-Bye Cruel Love", and the other 8-9 vaulted cuts, there were enough cuts to make an LP. Now it is down to 5??? I remember "Mr. Misery", and a few others.

Listening to the samples, I really do believe this collection is almost as good as the two first volumes.
    There’s not a dud track on it and every soundbite is mouthwatering!

Oh and btw, we have an unreleased Temptations track in a sense there...

Can’t wait to get my copies!!!

Quote Originally Posted by robb_k View Post
    I was told that including "Envious"'s slow and fast[[mid-tempo) versions, "Good-Bye Cruel Love", and the other 8-9 vaulted cuts, there were enough cuts to make an LP. Now it is down to 5??? I remember "Mr. Misery", and a few others.
    The fast version of "Envious" surfaced on Ace/Kent Motown Girls compilation "Love And Affection in 2015.It was also stated that an alternate version of "Goodbye Cruel Love" was supposedly languishing, but hasn't been discovered.In 2013, when a Clarence Paul production "Let Them Laugh At Me" was released on "Finders Keepers" it was stated that the session logs showed work completed on two other tracks.Unless they've found a few more since then that maybe weren't mixed at the time,that was the story.What you're saying is certainly possible though because all of Marv Johnson's tracks were supposedly found and now we have "Safety Zone" and "One Track Mind".Both of those emerged from investigating recordings that weren't mixed.

15 previously unreleased. Magnificent value! Roll on 30 March.

Quote Originally Posted by Quinn View Post
    There are only a couple of tracks left in the vaults on Linda.She only completed work on about five tracks during her eight month stay.No telling what the quality on those tunes are either,probably not that high.Inability to find a contract for the remaining songs could also be an issue.
    This is what I don't really understand. Given that Linda was only there 8 months, and given that we're now up to Motown Unreleased 1967, how can there be any more of her tracks [[worthy of release) left in the vault? Otherwise, what is the real driver for the Motown Unreleased series?

Linda Griner is the driver for Motown Unrelased??

Quote Originally Posted by luke View Post
    Great sense of humor Luke. I think what Mystery said made sense though it could be misconstrued. Linda Griner is one of those Motown artists that was under developed and whose potential wasn't realized. Her Smokey produced 45 backs that up clearly and many people are curious as to what happened or didn't for that matter. As talented as she was, not much material was recorded on her as she was there until early '63. Universal started the Motown Unreleased series at the year she was signed in '62 and none of her unissued tracks were included on the "Girls" volume. Nothing appeared on the 1963 release either. All we have is the single,an alternate version of the B side of that single and an unissued original. Considering the fact that there's not much anyway one would think that if the songs left were of high quality we would've gotten them by now. Many people seem to be holding their breath for a hidden monster on Linda and if UMe knows of it's existence,why would they hold on to it with all the opportunities presented to let it go?. The purpose of "MU" is to release the best vaulted tracks that can be found and get them to the fans. If the remaining Linda Griner tracks fall into that category and we don't have them then someone's not doing their job properly. Obviously what remains is nothing to write home about. Semantics are a son of a gun my friend.

I'm really looking forward to this release and hope that there will be more Motown Girls following. Many thanks to Keith and Ace.

I get it now Quinn! I must say she is one Motown artist who has escaped my attention. I think I confused her with Paula G!
    Last edited by luke; 02-09-2018 at 09:50 AM.

There was a time in the early to late 1990's when I was a huge Classic Jazz fan. With the advent of the CD era, we were treated to a treasure trove of unreleased tracks, and alternate takes. So if you take for example John Coltrane, whose music I love, you had his classic era, with the classic quintet, say 61-65. Then as he expanded his vision going forward until his untimely passing, his music became not for mass consumption. As a musician, I dug it, but it was not my Coltrane favorite era. My point being, if found, John Coltrane, Check, unreleased music, Check, late period music, well I don't know , it doesn't excite me.

Regarding Motown unreleased. Motown, Check. Unreleased, Check. Post 1967 Motown Unreleased, I don't know.

The discussion of one Miss Linda Griner regarding the Motown Girls series is what this series means to me. The C- List or even D - List artists who had a nice record that never saw the light of day. For me the price of admission is the Anita Knorl song on the first installment. Much has been made of the 200 acts under contract to Motown during it's peak. I feel that as fans, we are about the music. If it was recorded by someone who is not a household name, as long as it is good, I think we would buy it. After all, if the members of this forum were about the hits, they would buy another of the endless greatest hits compilations and call it a day.

Of course - I thought everyone knew that. Mind you, I preferred Lyn Roman myself.

And I thought the real purpose of Motown Unreleased was to stop the music going out of copyright - in order to do so the tracks had to be released by a certain date each year and thus ensure that the copyright remains with the creators/Motown/Universal records. Therefore, if anything up to 1967 hasn't received an official release by now, to my mind it never will. if it goes out of copyright, the bootleggers and such are able to take advantage without paying licensing fees.

I'm not sure, though, what it is that potentially would go out of copyright - presumably not the song itself so then it has to be a specific recorded version - otherwise one version recorded by Marvin Gaye, say, would cover all versions copyright wise. Still_confused.com

And what about Karen from the 70s!

Yes I loved The Carpenters.

It's amazing that it's taken Martha & the Vandellas' "I'm Willing to Pay the Price" so long to surface as the track was on some of the earliest collectors' tapes. Marvin Gaye's "Little Darling [[I Need You)" is held out to be a rewrite of this, but, apart from the obvious lyrical similarity, I don't hear it myself.

I find it interesting that Oma Page recorded 'When Someones Good To You' before Carolyn Crawford did. And that there's still another version [v2]of Playboy that's yet to see release.
    Last edited by luckyluckyme; 02-09-2018 at 12:58 PM.

Thanks for kind words ... hope it lives up to expectations.

Oh, and that new DFTMC ... it's there! If you access the site from a bookmark, it may go to the old site, from your cache - just click the Refresh button. You can tell you're on the new version if it says "2018 edition" about half-way down the page.

As for Linda, I can see about 6 alt takes of previously released tunes that haven't been issued, but that's it ...

£13.97 on amazon UK for pre-order. £12.92 on the ACE Records site. Sorted.

No no no. Not Karen C. I think her name was Karen Green not Susaye! One or two singles on motown in 70s!! I think Woodward had some info on her .
    Last edited by luke; 02-09-2018 at 04:58 PM.

Name:  aaaaa856.jpg
Views: 1751
Size:  41.0 KB

M6-856S1 -
    Kathe Green - Kathe Green [1/76] Also released as Prodigal 10011. Beautiful Changes/Help Me Sing My Song/Color World/First Thing In The Morning/Love City//Solo Ride/Alone Again And Free/What Kind Of Man Are You/And So You Go

Kathe Green singles:

Motown 1346 [[Unissued) Love City/What Kind Of Man Are You

Motown 1372- Beautiful Changes/What Kind Of Man Are You

Motown 1390- Love City/What Kind Of Man Are You

Keith,

What happened to track #25?

I'm curious as The Supremes are featured here:

Name:  aaaaaCDTOP-1524_1200_1200.jpg
Views: 1667
Size:  90.9 KB

Is the cover being re-done?

Thanks Luckyme!

I was wondering why they would include a Christmas song. That's very peculiar. If they decided to make a last minute replacement or remove it altogether I am in 100% support of that. There has got to be something better they can include.

Quote Originally Posted by luckyluckyme View Post
    I find it interesting that Oma Page recorded 'When Someones Good To You' before Carolyn Crawford did. And that there's still another version [v2]of Playboy that's yet to see release.
    Keith,

I just want to be sure of something. In "Love & Affection" you mention that Oma Page, [[sister of songwriters/producers Gene and Billy Page) recorded one unreleased track at Hitsville in 1964. 'When Someone's Good To You' is the track in question, correct?

MYsterysinger...Stop I don’t need no sympathy!

Why is 'I Know [[You Don't Love Me No More)' by Yvonne Fair included? It's been available on 'The Bitch Is Black' on vinyl since 1975 and CD since 2006! Better CD version of was released in 2008.

I was wondering why they would include a Christmas song. That's very peculiar. If they decided to make a last minute replacement or remove it altogether I am in 100% support of that. There has got to be something better they can include.
    “Better” for some is “unfortunate” in the eyes of others. I ordered the CD from ACE yesterday based on the tracks listed on their website.

Quote Originally Posted by longtimefan View Post
    “Better” for some is “unfortunate” in the eyes of others. I ordered the CD from ACE yesterday based on the tracks listed on their website.
    Understood. I didn't mean to sound selfish, I just felt that choice of song was a rather odd one. At the end of the day I'm powerless and I hope everything works out for you and the other fans who may have wanted to hear that song in it's entirety.

Quote Originally Posted by copley View Post
    Why is 'I Know [[You Don't Love Me No More)' by Yvonne Fair included? It's been available on 'The Bitch Is Black' on vinyl since 1975 and CD since 2006! Better CD version of was released in 2008.
    My guess would be that this is the original mono mix [[previously unreleased) ; the previous lp/cd mix was a stereo mix.
    Another explanation might be that as DFTMC covers Motown & related releases between 1956-1972, tracks recorded in 1975 would not be noted here. It is from that angle an honest oversight but will not affect my purchase of the cd.

Understood. I didn't mean to sound selfish, I just felt that choice of song was a rather odd one. At the end of the day I'm powerless and I hope everything works out for you and the other fans who may have wanted to hear that song in it's entirety.
    Thank you for your kind reply. Yes, the Christmas song was one reason I ordered directly from ACE the fist day it was advertised. I will be unhappy if they advertised something I bought for $17 and then they provide something else. I am hoping to hear from Keith.

Yeah, I know. Somebody will say “It’s just the one song.” But if course, we are all entitled to our opinion.

MYsterysinger...Stop I don’t need no sympathy!
    On this occasion, you weren't getting any lol.

Quote Originally Posted by longtimefan View Post
    Thank you for your kind reply. Yes, the Christmas song was one reason I ordered directly from ACE the fist day it was advertised. I will be unhappy if they advertised something I bought for $17 and then they provide something else. I am hoping to hear from Keith.

Yeah, I know. Somebody will say “It’s just the one song.” But if course, we are all entitled to our opinion.
    Absolutely, it's undoubtedly disappointing from your angle - you could cancel your order perhaps.

Ok ok mysterysinger..I love Linda Griner ...I am going to bombard Motown with requests they do a greatest hits album on her and they can use kathe Greens stuff as filler!