[REMOVE ADS]

Tamla 45's Pictures from the beginning.

It's really fun looking at the 45s, and finding some odd variants. For example, I never knew that the original pressing of "He's a Good Guy [[Yes He Is)" by the Marvelettes was really just "Yes He Is."

There's also an interesting first issue by Marvin Gaye, of the songs "Masquerade" b/w "Witchcraft" in which Gaye's name on the label shows the spelling "Gay" which was his actual family name's spelling. In addition, the record states on the label "Single not Available - Extracted from Album TM-222." Extracted, really...?

Fun discovery, Woodward!

Whoever put this together has an awesome collection. Seems to have all the rare titles.

Such huge thanks for sharing these links! There is another site, I think it's called "Both Sides Now" that does something similar, but this site is much more fun to look through! I'm bookmarking the links you're providing so I can keep going back.

This person has done some incredible work here. I love the photographs included. Something of interest, Nick and The Jaguars show that Motown was signing White artists VERY early in its history.
    Last edited by WaitingWatchingLookingForAChance; 10-15-2019 at 03:00 AM.

Question: I'm noticing some of the Miracles early 45s seemed to have had a second release years later "Shop Around" is shown on the "Globes" Tamla label with a date of 1965, then again on the "New Look" Tamla label. "Broken Hearted" shows a later release date as '69.

The Supremes also had "I Want A Guy", seemingly with a second release on the "New Look" Tamla label.

The Marvelettes' "Please Mr. Postman" and "Beechwood 4-5789" look like they too were again released in 1970.

I wonder what's the story behind that?

I had the "new look" 45 of Brokenhearted once
    .seemed strange to me.
    The picture of "Barrett Strong and the Rayber voices" is not genuine..it's a cut and paste job.
    Still a great site
    .lovely to see these 45s.

54106 Kim Weston was withdrawn for some reason. Significantly, there is no b side image on here.
    I had this rare 45 in my collection. When I sold my 45 collection in an auction, I could not understand at the time why this 45 received the biggest offer. I now realise why.

Thinking about "new" label on old 45s, I now recall that I had a number of Tamla "Globe" issues of early 45s. There must have.been a reissue programme...but why?
    Loving this post..happy memories.
    Thank you

Just checked on TCMS 1964
    The 45 was withdrawn in the USA. I wonder how many copies found their way onto shops . It must be fairly rare.
    An alternate vocal was cut after the initial 45 release but did not get used.
    The track was released in the UK [[ certainly on an EP). Kim toured the UK and appeared on Ready Steady Go. I've seen a clip of this in the past.
    I 'discovered' this via the UK LP " Motown Memories" and have loved it ever since.

Quote Originally Posted by WaitingWatchingLookingForAChance View Post
    Question: I'm noticing some of the Miracles early 45s seemed to have had a second release years later "Shop Around" is shown on the "Globes" Tamla label with a date of 1965, then again on the "New Look" Tamla label. "Broken Hearted" shows a later release date as '69.

The Supremes also had "I Want A Guy", seemingly with a second release on the "New Look" Tamla label.

The Marvelettes' "Please Mr. Postman" and "Beechwood 4-5789" look like they too were again released in 1970.

Waiting....I've seen these early songs on the later label and my thoughts have always been that Motown rereleased a handful of the early songs for the 10th anniversary celebration. I can't imagine some of them sold hardly any copies almost a decade after the original release. I doubt people lined up in 1970 for a copy of "I Want A Guy", lol.
    Darin

Woodward, how did you find this? Wow! I love it. It even has the dates and I am big dates. Thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by WaitingWatchingLookingForAChance View Post

I just assumed that was Motown reissuing their back catalog before reissues were a "thing" or Motown taking advantage of the rock and roll revivals??.

Quote Originally Posted by snakepit View Post
    I had the "new look" 45 of Brokenhearted once
    .seemed strange to me.
    The picture of "Barrett Strong and the Rayber voices" is not genuine..it's a cut and paste job.
    Still a great site
    .lovely to see these 45s.
    Well! I just knew there was something about that picture! It's a pretty good job but the eye will usually tell you something is not quite right.

Quote Originally Posted by lockhartgary View Post
    I just assumed that was Motown reissuing their back catalog before reissues were a "thing" or Motown taking advantage of the rock and roll revivals??.
    That does make sense. I recall reading in the Peter Benjaminson book on Mary Wells about the Low Rider culture really embracing some of the early 60s R&B music. And also, it seems a lot of people were already looking back to those early 60s songs in nostalgia [[THAT was a huge surprise to me!) So I think you're onto something.

Quote Originally Posted by DWSheffer View Post
    Waiting....I've seen these early songs on the later label and my thoughts have always been that Motown rereleased a handful of the early songs for the 10th anniversary celebration. I can't imagine some of them sold hardly any copies almost a decade after the original release. I doubt people lined up in 1970 for a copy of "I Want A Guy", lol.
    Darin
    OK, that makes sense. There must have been some specific reason. And yeah, "I Want A Guy"???

good site - thanks for posting.