[REMOVE ADS]

Precious Little Things

Any fans of this one? One of my fav Jean vocal performances.

I think it’s cute. You can hear Mary And Cindy very clearly

Yes. Love this one. I used to play this in my spin class for the cool down.

The somba beat was really a nice change.

overall i like the FJ album, this song included. there are others on the set that i prefer though

in general i found the sound of the group on FJ to be clean, light, just great. Jean had wail and blow with the rest of them but she's also excellent with simple, restrained vocals. and after some of the huge Frank Wilson productions, this was an exciting change of pace.

This is the only track on the Floy Joy lp that has no accompaniment by the Andantes. It's a sweet song, but I found the whole lp needing more instrumental. No strings on any of the cuts.

Absolutely sublime. My fave on this [[IMHO) perfect LP.

Very good song. Better than Floy Joy.

The other good cut was Over and Over. I thought it had single potential.

Quote Originally Posted by BayouMotownMan View Post
    This is the only track on the Floy Joy lp that has no accompaniment by the Andantes. It's a sweet song, but I found the whole lp needing more instrumental. No strings on any of the cuts.
    if listening closely with headphones, you can sort of pick out the sup vs and between the left and right channels.

Seems like much of the harmony work was done by the Andantes, while the supremes did more unison singing and then the one-off lines for mary and cindy

Quote Originally Posted by sup_fan View Post
    overall i like the FJ album, this song included. there are others on the set that i prefer though

in general i found the sound of the group on FJ to be clean, light, just great. Jean had wail and blow with the rest of them but she's also excellent with simple, restrained vocals. and after some of the huge Frank Wilson productions, this was an exciting change of pace.
    I think hooking the ladies up with Smokey was a good move. I wonder what a followup album would've been like. Certainly a better option than Jimmy Webb.

Quote Originally Posted by sansradio View Post
    Absolutely sublime. My fave on this [[IMHO) perfect LP.
    I'm not a fan of "Wonderful Sweet Love", "Now the Bitter" or the title cut. Other than that, I agree, perfect album.

Quote Originally Posted by jobeterob View Post
    Very good song. Better than Floy Joy.

The other good cut was Over and Over. I thought it had single potential.
    I LOVE "Over and Over". Don't think it was single material though. I think "Wonderful" needed a different mix and "Automatically Sunshine" might have needed some punch but otherwise was a damn good song and single.

i think Wonderful's problem was smokey's odd voice on the track. it wasn't a clear duet where he sang with the girls and his voice just sounds weird - like some sort of studio effect on it. so it doesn't sound like the Sups. the live version of the song was stronger

Auto Sun was a good recording - i like the original version best versus the various alt and unedited versions that have been released in recent years. the mix is great and the girls sound strong - thanks to the subtly mixed in Andantes. but this was released right when Cindy was leaving and when Jean was sick. so there was really no promotion of it by the girls

The "Floy Joy" album was the Supremes most sucessful album in the 70's here in Brazil. Almost all the songs would be often played on the radio stations, and some songs were in the soundtracks of some famous soap operas.
    "A Heart Like Mine", "Precious Little Things", "Floy Joy", "Automatically Sunshine", "Your Wonderful Sweet Sweet Love" were radio hits.
    I see why this album was the 70's Supremes best known album here, it has that "Bossa Nova" feeling that we love, and that type of music was on mainstream in that decade.

really good.i liked the floy joy album alot,except O Be my love. the rest was really good

one of the most cohesive albums. Touch is close but Time and Love sort of messes up the flow and mood of the lp. New Ways is also very strong but maybe a couple minor changes to lineup would have made it a strong concept album about peace and love.

MS&S is probably my fav album of the 70s. it's just a bit more varied than FJ in terms of sounds and styles. but still all with the view of 1 producer

For some reason I never got into the FLOY JOY album. I used to see it in record stores and I would want it so badly but always ended up buying something else. When I finally got a copy, I was underwhelmed. I didn't think any of the songs were bad. But aside from the title track and AUTOMATICALLY SUNSHINE, I didn't really like it. Recently I've played it again and I ended up liking OVER AND OVER, and PRECIOUS LITTLE THINGS is starting to grow on me as well.

But in comparison to the other Jean-era albums, this is the album I play least.

Quote Originally Posted by reese View Post
    For some reason I never got into the FLOY JOY album. I used to see it in record stores and I would want it so badly but always ended up buying something else. When I finally got a copy, I was underwhelmed. I didn't think any of the songs were bad. But aside from the title track and AUTOMATICALLY SUNSHINE, I didn't really like it. Recently I've played it again and I ended up liking OVER AND OVER, and PRECIOUS LITTLE THINGS is starting to grow on me as well.

You did not care for "Now the Bitter, Now the Sweet" at all?

Quote Originally Posted by Weslley Francisco View Post
    The "Floy Joy" album was the Supremes most sucessful album in the 70's here in Brazil. Almost all the songs would be often played on the radio stations, and some songs were in the soundtracks of some famous soap operas.
    "A Heart Like Mine", "Precious Little Things", "Floy Joy", "Automatically Sunshine", "Your Wonderful Sweet Sweet Love" were radio hits.
    I see why this album was the 70's Supremes best known album here, it has that "Bossa Nova" feeling that we love, and that type of music was on mainstream in that decade.
    Thanks for the lesson in Supremes history. Who would've known that the album was so big in Brazil?

Smokey seemed to love the African and Latin styles as I noticed the influence on a lot of his pre-1964 productions on the Miracles, Mary Wells and the Supremes.

one of the most cohesive albums. Touch is close but Time and Love sort of messes up the flow and mood of the lp. New Ways is also very strong but maybe a couple minor changes to lineup would have made it a strong concept album about peace and love.

MS&S is probably my fav album of the 70s. it's just a bit more varied than FJ in terms of sounds and styles. but still all with the view of 1 producer
    Of the Jean years, I think Right On and Floy Joy were expertly put together from first song to last. It all fits. New Ways not so much and yeah, Touch comes close but is thrown off by "Time and Love".

It's not an exciting album, which I imagine is why it's not always high up on some fans' list of favorites. Nearly everything about it is mellow. It's the kind of album you put on after a long day and just need some time to decompress and shake off the day's events.

The Jean album I play the least is Jimmy Webb.

I agree "Floy Joy" is the most cohesive Terrell-led Supremes album, but to me it's so cohesive that it's just dull. So many of the songs seem almost like rewrites of each other. I have a hard time getting any different vibes from "Over and Over," "Precious Little Things," and "The Wisdom of Time." Mary's vocal on "A Heart Like Mine" is good but to me, it too is a dull song. There's so little variation between the material that by the end of the short album, I find it almost instantly forgettable.

I think Smokey was much more successful with the "Return of the Marvelettes" album which also contained a lot of material he composed, some of it recorded earlier by other artists. "Floy Joy" to me just seems a rather tepid project.

it's definitely a mellow album. there are some nice peaks - YWSSL and the ending of AS. Floy Joy is somewhat too. but much of the rest of the album is rather low key. a slow simmer. it might have benefited from another song that had a bigger bang. something with more fire.

as is, it's very seductive. sort of hazy, sexy. and i think the cover pic is an excellent visual representation. cool and clean. the girls in non-matching yet coordinating outfits.

i wish they'd done more with their act at the time to build off of this and hype the smokey connection. maybe have new designer outfits made using the all white with a bit of red highlights, like the cover. have them promote their work with smokey, do a medley of hits material, etc. make it a "Floy Joy" tour

There is at least one out take from this album.one day we may hear it

Same here Reese. I always thought it lacked that special something and sounded unfinished to me. I always hated the title track [[still do), and i guess that kind of put me off the rest of the album. I have got into it a little more recently, but i still regard it as the weakest 70's album aside from the Jimmy Webb atrocity.

Quote Originally Posted by Bluebrock View Post
    Same here Reese. I always thought it lacked that special something and sounded unfinished to me. I always hated the title track [[still do), and i guess that kind of put me off the rest of the album. I have got into it a little more recently, but i still regard it as the weakest 70's album aside from the Jimmy Webb atrocity.
    if i had to rank the 70s albums from best to worst, i'd go:

Touch
    Mary Scherrie & Susaye
    Right On
    New Ways
    Floy Joy
    High Energy
    Sup 75
    Jimmy Webb

i think Wonderful's problem was smokey's odd voice on the track. it wasn't a clear duet where he sang with the girls and his voice just sounds weird - like some sort of studio effect on it. so it doesn't sound like the Sups. the live version of the song was stronger
    I didn't look at Smokey's processed voice as being a problem on Your Wonderful Sweet Love but as just another creative tool to incorporate into a song. But to regress, I did consider Johnny Bristol's additional coaching in the background to DRATS "Someday We'll Be Together" to be distracting to me to this day. Sweet Love remains one of my favorites of the JMC-L Supremes...so funky sounding. That's just my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by jobucats View Post
    I didn't look at Smokey's processed voice as being a problem on Your Wonderful Sweet Love but as just another creative tool to incorporate into a song. But to regress, I did consider Johnny Bristol's additional coaching in the background to DRATS "Someday We'll Be Together" to be distracting to me to this day. Sweet Love remains one of my favorites of the JMC-L Supremes...so funky sounding. That's just my opinion.
    always fun to compare fan notes. see i'm just the opposite of what you wrote. IMO Johnny's vocals on Someday are brief ad libs and don't really distract from the supreme's sound [[regardless that it's not M and C singing). on YWSSL his vocals are part of the full backgrounds on the choruses and distort the supremes sound. sort of like how the mega backgrounds on Jimmy Webb sound nothing like the Sups either. the recording IMO could have been a Jean solo with random session singers behind her

but a real duet with Smokey and girls could have been fun!! of course that would have messed up the royalty rates but ignoring that, perhaps if Smokey had taken part of a verse in YWSSL and sang with Jean. and then maybe all three girls sharing a lead and trading with Smokey. Oh Be My Love might have worked as a duet piece too

I like this one! And the whole album really. Nice mellow Smokey grooves throughout.

if i had to rank the 70s albums from best to worst, i'd go:

Touch
    Mary Scherrie & Susaye
    Right On
    New Ways
    Floy Joy
    High Energy
    Sup 75
    Jimmy Webb
    I think mine would be
    1) Right On
    2) New Ways
    3) Touch
    4) Supremes75
    5) Mary, Scherrie and Susaye
    6) High Energy
    7) Floy Joy
    8) Jimmy Webb

I have come to appreciate Floy Joy more as the years have gone by.At the time, after the strong vocal performances on Touch I felt that Floy Joy was a bit light, frothy and bouncy. Right On had some of the strongest song selections and Jean's singing was full bodied and strong. On New Ways, it was more progressive and Jean's voice started to sound a bit nasal but with great interpretive skills. Touch was strong vocally and Jean, while still sounding nasal, gave strong vocal performances and hearing Mary share on a lead was very nice. Floy Joy seemed to show Jean could tone her vocals down, interpret them with great skill but it seemed less of an album filled with songs to show off her voice, but it was great to hear Mary starting to step out from the shadows and hear her warm, wonderful vocals. Jimmy Webb was experimental and while I like some of the songs, Jean comes off shrill on some of her vocal runs which was disappointing to hear. When the Supremes 75 came along it reminded me of Floy Joy with its frothy and bouncy tone yet after Webb the vocals of Scherrie and Mary were refreshing and a joy to hear. I always felt the last 2 albums were undervalued gems with Mary, Scherrie and Susaye sounding great in the studio. I always felt the last 2 groupings had the ability to move forward into a new era with confidence and supremacy but the 2 years between albums and line up change seemed to cause more harm to the group. Still, listening now to the songs on Floy Joy I can hear things such as the musicianship and vocals that I wasn't thinking about back in 1972.

^ Good post! Floy Joy was light & bouncy but I thought it was a nice contrast to Touch. I'd always enjoyed Jean's voice, until Jimmy Webb. The last two albums seemed promising for the future of the group. Oh, well.

My ranking:
    Right On
    Touch
    New Ways
    Floy Joy
    High Energy
    Mary, Scherrie & Susaye
    Supremes 75
    Jimmy Webb

my rankings
    Touch
    Right On
    Floy Joy
    New Ways
    Mary Scherrie Susaye
    Supremes 75
    High Energy
    Jimmy Webb...

Floy Joy is a "QUIET STORM" LP....lots of breathing room. I like every song on the LP. Can do without Smokey on YWSSL, and love the extended version of Floy Joy, and the unedited vers. of Automatically Sunshine....Jeans bouncy mid point run and the longer ending make the song "pop" a lot more....Over and Over is one of my fav JT cuts...if it were rebalanced to not sound so compressed in spots, it could have been a single.