[REMOVE ADS]

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    Carolyn Crawford...is the well dry on her?

Quote Originally Posted by snakepit View Post
    Carolyn Crawford...is the well dry on her?
    Unless they stumble upon something they don't know about, "Lover Boy" is the last one. Her total output was only about 11 tracks from '63 to '65.

A shame as I like all her tracks.

It would have been great to have added a color tint to the photo to have similar looks with volumes 1 & 2.

Keith announced in the "Syreeta The Rita Wright Years 1967-1970" thread that Vicki Fox, the talented artist who brought color to his Motown Girls covers, had died before its release.

I see th'THE MARVELETTES' has now replaced 'THE SUPREMES' in the 'Featuring unreleased recordings by' heading for "Baby I've Got It". I'm glad that you were able to alter it [[and I'm sure the notations and essay) before it all went to print.

Why were the Supremes taken off the release?

Quote Originally Posted by mowsville View Post
    I hope that Keith Hughes will answer that question here or in the cd booklet.

Quote Originally Posted by luckyluckyme View Post
    I see th'THE MARVELETTES' has now replaced 'THE SUPREMES' in the 'Featuring unreleased recordings by' heading for "Baby I've Got It". I'm glad that you were able to alter it [[and I'm sure the notations and essay) before it all went to print.
    Wow, the Marvelettes given the nod over the Supremes! How weird is that! I like it! LOL

It was actually LaBrenda's "It's Alright" that replaced the Supremes - a late clearance, and a completely unreleased track. Although we cleared the Supremes' "Merry Christmas", in the long wait to clear enough tracks for an album, a duet version came out on the RealGone album, so we decided that rather than compete, we'd offer something completely different.

I'm sure Ace will do a refund for anyone who was buying the set just for this one track.

So the complete Christmas album isnt really complete because we are missing the Mary Wilson solo of "The Christmas Song"...oh well i suppose i can wait till this Christmas when we get the expanded edition of the expanded edition of the complete Christmas album.

Quote Originally Posted by keith_hughes View Post
    It was actually LaBrenda's "It's Alright" that replaced the Supremes - a late clearance, and a completely unreleased track. Although we cleared the Supremes' "Merry Christmas", in the long wait to clear enough tracks for an album, a duet version came out on the RealGone album, so we decided that rather than compete, we'd offer something completely different.

I'm sure Ace will do a refund for anyone who was buying the set just for this one track.
    Hi Keith,
    I realize that sometimes decisions are guided by many factors. But I'm not sure if I'm following the logic here.
    LaBrenda's "It's Alright" was listed along with The Supremes' "The Christmas Song as 2 of the 25 tracks for 'Baby I've Got It! More Motown Girls' as originally posted at the Ace website. The original write-up made specific mention of the Mary Wilson lead on the track.
    And then suddenly the track vanished, the write-up was altered, and the cover amended.
    Your explanation does not seem to make sense to me.
    I'm hoping that Andy Skurow or George Solomon asked you to [[quietly) pull the track
    [if it is in fact a complete Mary lead, a question which I asked early on which was never answered] from the Ace cd because they were planning to include it as a bonus track on a future Supremes expanded edition.
    That might explain the 'not wanting to duplicate' part of your explanation. And knowing how they too are sworn to secrecy by Universal...
    Or then again, it may only be wishful thinking.
    Last edited by luckyluckyme; 02-14-2018 at 09:34 AM.

Guys, in Ace's defense, please keep in mind that we constantly badger Keith Hughes and others for early information, when is stuff coming out, when will we see a track listing, etc. These last minute decisions likely happen in many such releases. Of course, some of us will be disappointed that a certain track had to be left off but please remember what hard work it is to even get this stuff out there. So just maintain perspective. The glass is still half full.

@longtimefan, I wasn't referring to you or Luckyluckyme specifically. I do it too. It's natural for us collectors to want all the information early. No offense meant.

Personally I couldn't care less about another Supremes Christmas track, Mary Wilson or otherwise. I am buying the set for what it is [[even with The Marv's STG) but if folks don't want it either don't buy it or request a refund if you're miffed about not getting what you thought or what was planned. These people do their best to bring us goodies. I'm happy with the work they do.

I just saw on Amazon.com that it will be released 4/6/2018 and the cost is $22.13 with a guarantee that if the price drops you will get the new price -- and it won't go up. They are taking pre-orders.

DirectToU, LLC sites such as Blow It Outta Here and Import Cd's are listing it on sale at $10.49, quite a substantial savings.

DirectToU, LLC sites such as Blow It Outta Here and Import Cd's are listing it on sale at $10.49, quite a substantial savings.
    Wow, great price. Thanks @luckyluckyme. Just placed my order. I wonder why Amazon has it listed so high - twice as much!

Quote Originally Posted by kenneth View Post
    Wow, great price. Thanks @luckyluckyme. Just placed my order. I wonder why Amazon has it listed so high - twice as much!
    Recently I purchased "Julie London The Singles" a two CD set, from importcds for $10.19. Amazon was asking $26.99 for the same set. That's crazy. Importcds always seems to have the best price.

Usually, with Amazon, the longer the release is in "pre-order" status, it often reduces in price leading up to the release date. A CD like this that is listed now for $22.13 may wind up at $13.99 by release day. [[Yes, I know that's not cheaper than some other sites.)

NOT FAKE NEWS: Only one week to go now!

Dusty Groove has it in stock now. Ordered my copy. Hoping it ships tomorrow.

Yay!!! My copy has just arrived from ACE.

Quote Originally Posted by kenneth View Post
    As much as I love the Marvelettes, I have to admit I was surprised that their version of this song didn't turn out better. But, hey, two Marvelettes track and the cover photo - I'm pumped!
    Name:  av-5.jpg
Views: 1258
Size:  21.1 KB
    It was just an early LP "throwaway filler", they didn't waste any production costs on it, nor do any extra takes to perfect it. It's not surprising. We heard, later, on "That's How Heartaches Are Made" and "Walk Away Renee", among others, that Motown could take other companies' hits and do good remakes of them.

Quote Originally Posted by robb_k View Post
Views: 1258
    It was just an early LP "throwaway filler", they didn't waste any production costs on it, nor do any extra takes to perfect it. It's not surprising. We heard, later, on "That's How Heartaches Are Made" and "Walk Away Renee", among others, that Motown could take other companies' hits and do good remakes of them.
    What song is being referred to?

Quote Originally Posted by longtimefan View Post
    "Sweet Talkin' Guy" I believe

Hi Folks,

can somebody from you confirm, that we hear Oma Heard & The Tempations on her track?

Thanks to everybody ...especially Keith Hughes ...for another 'must have' Motown release ...the stand-out track for me is... Keep Away ...by Little Lisa ...a cracking slice of classic Motown Sound...!!

That girl just keeps on delivering [[Little Lisa). Her later, non-Motown album was quite nice.

Quote Originally Posted by 144man View Post
    It's amazing that it's taken Martha & the Vandellas' "I'm Willing to Pay the Price" so long to surface as the track was on some of the earliest collectors' tapes. Marvin Gaye's "Little Darling [[I Need You)" is held out to be a rewrite of this, but, apart from the obvious lyrical similarity, I don't hear it myself.
    If there is a similarity in the two tunes, can someone please tell me exactly where it is?

The lyrics of Little Darlin'. Included willing to pay the price...at any sacrifice...
    Do they not? Am I dreaming again?

Quote Originally Posted by mowsville View Post
    Just want to politely also assume, for obscure variety?

I highly doubt people would eat up these Ace / Kent Motown Girls / Guys collections for the same old top ten Motown acts that if one searches them up on Amazon, there will be dozens of pages worth of CDs on them.

I do not have any of the the Motown Girls / Guys collections, yet, but I do have all the four volumes of the Cellarful of Motown series; Supremes, Stevie Wonder, Four Tops, even the Marvelettes were nice "bonuses"; but I mainly bought them for Little Lisa, The Lollipops, Carolyn Crawford, Terry Johnson, Tammi Terrell, Marv Johnson, Chris Clark, Barbara McNair, Lewis Sisters, Brenda Holloway, The Blackberries, Fantastic Four, Frank Wilson, Little Miss Soul....

Well, on Amazon US, it shows that the title is released but Temporarily Out Of Stock. My pre-order is still awaiting a ship date. I'm assuming they did not get any deliveries of this titles as of yet. Now I know how all my British & European friends feel when a title is released in the states and they have to wait for it.

Quote Originally Posted by thommg View Post
    Well, on Amazon US, it shows that the title is released but Temporarily Out Of Stock. My pre-order is still awaiting a ship date. I'm assuming they did not get any deliveries of this titles as of yet. Now I know how all my British & European friends feel when a title is released in the states and they have to wait for it.
    Hey, Thom! I got a notice from Amazon [[U.S.) that my CD copy of "Baby I've Got It: More Motown Girls" [[pre-ordered on March 1) will be delivered this coming Tuesday, April 10. Hope you get your copy soon.

Quote Originally Posted by Philles/Motown Gary View Post
    Hey, Thom! I got a notice from Amazon [[U.S.) that my CD copy of "Baby I've Got It: More Motown Girls" [[pre-ordered on March 1) will be delivered this coming Tuesday, April 10. Hope you get your copy soon.
    <sigh> My order is still listed as:
    "Delivery estimate: We need a little more time to provide you with a good estimate. We'll notify you via e-mail as soon as we have an estimated delivery date. "

Congrats on your delivery date! No e-mails for me, yet.

Quote Originally Posted by longtimefan View Post
Views: 929
    Yes. "Sweet Talkin' Guy". Just as most of the non-Motown remakes were.

<sigh> My order is still listed as:
    "Delivery estimate: We need a little more time to provide you with a good estimate. We'll notify you via e-mail as soon as we have an estimated delivery date. "

Congrats on your delivery date! No e-mails for me, yet.
    I've had that happen, too, with U.K. imports. It's disappointing, I know. In fact, I was surprised that my copy is being shipped so soon. But, don't worry -- your CD will show up in a couple weeks when you least expect it.

Quote Originally Posted by Philles/Motown Gary View Post
    I've had that happen, too, with U.K. imports. It's disappointing, I know. In fact, I was surprised that my copy is being shipped so soon. But, don't worry -- your CD will show up in a couple weeks when you least expect it.
    You know that's right! I sometimes have pre-orders that I totally forget are coming until they show up!

You know that's right! I sometimes have pre-orders that I totally forget are coming until they show up!
    Yeah, Thom, and it only seems to happen with imports from the U.K. Amazon's American releases are almost always in our hands on time, with the exception of last-minute, unforeseen problems at the CD pressing plant.

Robb, we had to do a lot of "cleaning" on Sweet Talkin' Guy to make it acceptable. It was considered for "Forever More" but turned down as unfinished, not worth bothering with. But there's so little unreleased material on the Marvelettes that we thought it was worth spending some time on it to see what could be done. I'm quite pleased with the result, but my favourite track on the CD is definitely the Little Lisa ...
    Last edited by keith_hughes; 04-07-2018 at 07:30 PM.

So, has anyone in the US gotten this release yet? I just got a message from Amazon that it probably won't be available until May 18. I wondered if there is someone else in the US who might still have it in stock.

Mine came from BlowItOuttaHere on Tuesday, April 11. It appears that it is still available there.

So, has anyone in the US gotten this release yet? I just got a message from Amazon that it probably won't be available until May 18. I wondered if there is someone else in the US who might still have it in stock.
    My copy arrived from Amazon yesterday [[Tuesday). [[Thom, a few days after we last spoke, Amazon notified me that there would be a delay [[beyond the original delivery date), and they would let me know as soon as the new delivery date is known. The next thing I knew, it was shipped and in my hands two days later. Keep the faith -- your copy will be here soon. - Gary

I received mine from importcds.com on April 10 for $10.13.

Mine came from BlowItOuttaHere on Tuesday, April 11. It appears that it is still available there.
    Thanks for all the help! I just ordered it from Blowitouttahere.com along with the Fantastic Four Lost Motown Album. Sorry, Amazon! You snooze, you lose!

Well, I now believe there is a huge conspiracy to keep me from getting this CD. My order from Blowitouttahere should have arrived yesterday. When I checked the tracking number I found out that they don't have the correct shipping address. In fact, they only have half of the address on the label - and NOT the shipping address that was on the confirmation that they sent me. I had to submit a document to the post office to find out where the package is now residing, and I sent an e-mail to Blowitouttahere. Will probably think twice about ordering from them again - not a great first experience.

Well, I now believe there is a huge conspiracy to keep me from getting this CD. My order from Blowitouttahere should have arrived yesterday. When I checked the tracking number I found out that they don't have the correct shipping address. In fact, they only have half of the address on the label - and NOT the shipping address that was on the confirmation that they sent me. I had to submit a document to the post office to find out where the package is now residing, and I sent an e-mail to Blowitouttahere. Will probably think twice about ordering from them again - not a great first experience.
    Sorry to hear you had trouble with blowitoutahere. I've ordered from them for years
    and have never had a problem. But, as they say....shit happens. I can't blame you
    for being hesitant using them again.

I feel for you because over the years I have had a problem or two receiving an order from various vendors. However, I must add that I use blowitoutahere regularly [[twice this month even), and have never had a problem. Plus, their prices are generally amazing. I sure hope that your issue is resolved soon!!!

Hi!

My belated review still:

http://www.soulexpress.net/va_moremotowngirls.htm

Best regards
    Heikki

I was noticing that on the Liz Lands track "It's Crazy Baby" the song composer credit is given to Frank Wilson. On the ACE/Kent CDs #182 and #065 both releases by Ike & Tina Turner Ike Turner is listed as the composer/writer. You'll find Ike also listed as the writer on the P-Vine #3034 CD "The Soul of Ike & Tina." There is no mention of this in the ACE notes, anybody have any thoughts on this?

From All Music Guide
    Song
    "It's Crazy Baby"
    by Ike & Tina Turner
    Composed by Ike Turner

Song
    "It's Crazy Baby"
    by Tina Turner
    Composed by Ike Turner

Song
    "It's Crazy Baby"
    by Ike & Tina Turner