[REMOVE ADS]

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Grammy Salute to Motown's 60th Anniversary Set to Tape Feb. 12

I wished they would include surviving actual Motown recording artists, although I know they won't.
    Last edited by marv2; 01-16-2019 at 06:20 PM.

Absolutely Marv, remember Martha justifiably lamenting not using original singers in the Funk Bros movie? Jeez, there are enough brilliant original artists around still to perform. I imagine the roof would blow off as they walked on. What a lost opportunity.

Quote Originally Posted by BritishTony View Post
    Absolutely Marv, remember Martha justifiably lamenting not using original singers in the Funk Bros movie? Jeez, there are enough brilliant original artists around still to perform. I imagine the roof would blow off as they walked on. What a lost opportunity.
    These television network execs believe that we only want to see and her those under 40! They will bypass and discard the original artists because they believe that not enough people want to see them. Not true! CBS made this mistake back in 1990 when they produced and aired "Motown 30, What's Goin' On?". Motown artist only made up approx. 15% of those that performed on the program. They even had the FLOs[[ Jean Terrell, Scherrie Payne and Lynda Laurence) perform on the show but cut their performance from the broadcast.

I expect it to be mostly contemporary artists to perform. They have to bring in ratings with today’s artists. I’m sure they’ll try to score the big Motown attractions like Stevie, Smokey, maybe Diana or Gladys. Berry Gordy will be there for sure. I wouldn’t be surprised if Mary was involved somehow. Maybe Otis’ Temptations. I doubt they’ll get Martha. If they do, she won’t be singing as they are not going to save a spot for her with the way she sounds now. Don’t be shocked if they wheel out Tony Bennett since it’s the Grammys and they think Tony Bennett is the greatest thing to ever happen in music and have to involve him in every damn thing they do.
    Last edited by bradsupremes; 01-16-2019 at 07:34 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by bradsupremes View Post
    I expect it to be mostly contemporary artists to perform. They have to bring in ratings with today’s artists. I’m sure they’ll try to score the big Motown attractions like Stevie, Smokey, maybe Diana or Gladys. Berry Gordy will be there for sure. I wouldn’t be surprised if Mary was involved somehow. Maybe Otis’ Temptations. I doubt they’ll get Martha. If they do, she won’t be singing as they are not going to save a spot for her with the way she sounds now. Don’t be shocked if they wheel out Tony Bennett since it’s the Grammys and they think Tony Bennett is the greatest thing to ever happen in music and have to involve him in every damn thing they do.
    What? No Lionel Richie or El Debarge? I believe they are both still performing.

Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    What? No Lionel Richie or El Debarge? I believe they are both still performing.
    Lionel is another good possible performer. El Debarge? No.

Yes it’s not the show a hardcore fan would put together but one for the average viewer

A shame if it’s more of Tony Bennett

Let's hope that Suzanne dePasse is involved in the production. It would be nice to see them go to the Motown Museum and film some of the special.

I know its out of subject but if i make a Thread on my own I'll get no attention.....My question is...Is there anybody who knows there's some Flo Ballard video footage of 1973 to 75 ???

Quote Originally Posted by Marty CanFly View Post
    I know its out of subject but if i make a Thread on my own I'll get no attention.....My question is...Is there anybody who knows there's some Flo Ballard video footage of 1973 to 75 ???
    You need to post this in the DRATS sub forum.

I'd welcome a multi-part, true documentary such as that done for the Beatles 20 or so years ago or Scorcesi's Dylan doc 'No Direction Home'. This program, for me, is a must-miss.

Has there been any news on who is performing for this special? It tapes in a week there has been no word whatsoever on who is appearing.

Quote Originally Posted by bradsupremes View Post
    Has there been any news on who is performing for this special? It tapes in a week there has been no word whatsoever on who is appearing.
    Maybe Jennifer Lopez? I saw a commercial that she will be doing the Motown tribute at the Grammys.

Quote Originally Posted by reese View Post
    Maybe Jennifer Lopez? I saw a commercial that she will be doing the Motown tribute at the Grammys.
    Yes, I read that it would be Jennifer Lopez. She is fine, but why her? Why not one of the few living Motown legends that we still have, like Smokey, Diana, or Stevie. This is Black History Month.

Jennifer Lopez...will perform a Motown tribute during Sunday's Grammy awards, in honor of the 60th anniversary of the Detroit-baesd record label's founding.
    Motown has long been seen as a symbol of Black excellence, elevating the careers of iconic artists like The Supremes, Smokey Robinson, and Marvin Gaye.

In the comments section, someone posted:

Welcome to Black History Month where:
    1. Adidas released an all white Black History Month shoe
    2. Jussie Smollett has to prove he was attacked
    3. 21 Savage is being detained by ICE
    4. Jennifer Lopez is doing the Motown tribute at the Grammys

https://www.refinery29.com/en-us/201...motown-tribute

However, its not all bad. Also read this about the awards show:

Additionally, the great Diana Ross will do a 75th Diamond Diana birthday performance!

AT LEAST they could invite the Velvelettes and Martha and the original Vandellas to the show. They are, I believe, the only two Motown groups with the original members still living.

Quote Originally Posted by stingbeelee View Post
    AT LEAST they could invite the Velvelettes and Martha and the original Vandellas to the show. They are, I believe, the only two Motown groups with the original members still living.
    Martha will be at the Motown 60 Celebration. So will Diana. But Diana will also appear on the Grammies this Sunday.

The Motown 60 tribute will be taped before a live audience on 12 February at Microsoft Theatre in Los Angeles and broadcast 21 April. It will be co-hosted by Cedric the Entertainer and Smokey Robinson.

Diana Ross, Stevie Wonder, and Martha Reeves will take part in the tribute, as well as HDH. Mickey Stevenson, Valerie Simpson, Thelma Houston and Boyz II Men.

https://www.udiscovermusic.com/news/...otown-60-bill/

I think the general public would love to see some of the original performers. Just like at the oscars when they bring out older stars. There’s a fascination with how people are doing now.

Quote Originally Posted by milven View Post
    Martha will be at the Motown 60 Celebration. So will Diana. But Diana will also appear on the Grammies this Sunday.

The Motown 60 tribute will be taped before a live audience on 12 February at Microsoft Theatre in Los Angeles and broadcast 21 April. It will be co-hosted by Cedric the Entertainer and Smokey Robinson.

Diana Ross, Stevie Wonder, and Martha Reeves will take part in the tribute, as well as HDH. Mickey Stevenson, Valerie Simpson, Thelma Houston and Boyz II Men.

https://www.udiscovermusic.com/news/...otown-60-bill/
    Cedric the Entertainer co-hosted "Motown 45" with Lionel Richie. He was ok, but I wished they'd use someone else this time.

I don't like the idea of JLO being involved in this. She has no connection whatsoever to Motown.

Re: Cedric The Entertainer ... He is on a CBS sitcom. CBS has a long-standing lock on The Grammys and Grammy specials. It makes sense that CBS would try to promote Cedric’s sitcom by giving him more exposure. They do the same with Stephen Colbert, James Corden, etc. All of the networks do it.

Sad Martha, Roz and Annette couldn't come together for this. That would make this magical. Seem they got issues with each other?

Don't get J. Lo's involvement at all. No connection to Motown's past, present AND future. That'll be like inviting Ariana Grande to a celebration of Philadelphia International.

Folks are still confusing J-Lo's participation in a Motown tribute during the actual Grammy telecast with the Motown 60 tribute show being taped a few days later to be aired in April. That show is being hosted by Smokey with Cedric. I've not heard J-Lo being connected with that show...

J Lo covered Diana a few years back; I think it's beautiful.

https://youtu.be/K9nIUqrZ5kY

On the flip side, they could have asked Mariah:

https://youtu.be/Lpvuj9pTTO4

Quote Originally Posted by marybrewster View Post
    On the flip side, they could have asked Mariah:

https://youtu.be/Lpvuj9pTTO4
    Theyt could have asked Anita Baker. At least she is from Detroit!

Quote Originally Posted by midnightman View Post
    Sad Martha, Roz and Annette couldn't come together for this. That would make this magical. Seem they got issues with each other?

Don't get J. Lo's involvement at all. No connection to Motown's past, present AND future. That'll be like inviting Ariana Grande to a celebration of Philadelphia International.
    I can tell right now that it is not going to be that special or memorable.

Will Mary be there?

Once again...J-Lo is doing the Grammy telecast Motown tribute [[not the Motown 60th Special), one segment of many on the show. The Motown special being taped the following Tuesday for broadcast sometime in April is not what J-Lo is associated with... I really don't get the big deal about J-Lo participating and she'll likely do a good job with it...Having worked with NARAS for an entire year, I can tell you that they do things their way, which is why that spoiled donut licking Ariana Grande wasn't going to get away with telling NARAS how SHE wanted her segment done... They plan their show taking many things into consideration and once they decide to scrap a segment or an artist isn't cooperating, they move on...too much to do in putting their show together than to deal with the egos of an assortment of artists... As for the Motown show and who's not going to be included...Obviously, many old favorites of longtime Motown fans are no longer able to perform up to a level for a nationally broadcast televised event. I assume Berry, Smokey, Diana, and perhaps Stevie were consulted as to how the show would be structured. It would be nice for Mary Wilson to participate, however, memories linger for decades, and although I can't say for sure that she is not included in this show, I assume they didn't want to risk the kind of situation that occurred on stage between Mary and Diana during the introduction of Berry on the Motown 25 special that got quite ugly...That's just my take...not looking to start a debate on this...
    Last edited by StuBass1; 02-09-2019 at 01:49 PM.

It's a damn shame that Brenda Holloway lives in L.A. and was not asked to be a part of this so call celebration.

Quote Originally Posted by brother_love View Post
    It's a damn shame that Brenda Holloway lives in L.A. and was not asked to be a part of this so call celebration.
    I understand how is fans feel but I also appreciate that national tv networks can’t devote much more than an invitation to be in the crowd to people that weren’t really well known 50 years ago let alone today

The world is very unfair all the time

Quote Originally Posted by jobeterob View Post
    I understand how is fans feel but I also appreciate that national tv networks can’t devote much more than an invitation to be in the crowd to people that weren’t really well known 50 years ago let alone today

The world is very unfair all the time
    That doesn't even make sense what you said. They are celebrating the 60th Anniversary of Motown Records and it's music, yet you say that the television network cannot invite the people that made the music because they were not well known back when they were making the hit music? Then if that is the case, why in the Hell would they even be honoring Motown, a record company you claim that people there that made the music are not known? That doesn't even make sense. Nor does it make sense to use a string of people that had nothing whatsoever to do with Motown. Just play the records and show some pictures and archival footage. I don't need to hear John Legend, or whomever trying to sing "Ain't that Peculiar" when it really would be.

Quote Originally Posted by floyjoy678 View Post
    Will Mary be there?
    Probably setting in the audience like she was at Motown Returns to the Apollo.

Surprised they didn't invite Mary either... they invited Martha but no other Vandellas... things like this makes me wish for Marvin, and most of the original members of the Four Tops and the Temptations to come back.

Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    I can tell right now that it is not going to be that special or memorable.
    Too many of the legends that made Motown great are sadly no longer with us too.

Quote Originally Posted by StuBass1 View Post
    Once again...J-Lo is doing the Grammy telecast Motown tribute [[not the Motown 60th Special), one segment of many on the show. The Motown special being taped the following Tuesday for broadcast sometime in April is not what J-Lo is associated with... I really don't get the big deal about J-Lo participating and she'll likely do a good job with it...Having worked with NARAS for an entire year, I can tell you that they do things their way, which is why that spoiled donut licking Ariana Grande wasn't going to get away with telling NARAS how SHE wanted her segment done... They plan their show taking many things into consideration and once they decide to scrap a segment or an artist isn't cooperating, they move on...too much to do in putting their show together than to deal with the egos of an assortment of artists... As for the Motown show and who's not going to be included...Obviously, many old favorites of longtime Motown fans are no longer able to perform up to a level for a nationally broadcast televised event. I assume Berry, Smokey, Diana, and perhaps Stevie were consulted as to how the show would be structured. It would be nice for Mary Wilson to participate, however, memories linger for decades, and although I can't say for sure that she is not included in this show, I assume they didn't want to risk the kind of situation that occurred on stage between Mary and Diana during the introduction of Berry on the Motown 25 special that got quite ugly...That's just my take...not looking to start a debate on this...
    Could've still picked Anita Baker or even if they wanted to relate to the youth, Janelle Monae or even Beyonce, whose parents grew up listening to Motown [[Solange, her sister, released a Motown-esque song, "I Decided", years ago). When's the last time the youth ever listened to J-Lo?

[Katt Williams voice]Don't worry, I'll wait.

True dat...Coulda picked a lot of people... I've heard no Motown folks complain about this...I've worked with NARAS and they are a very traditional organization and all of a sudden, everybody becomes a segment producer... I understand...Got poor J-Lo more nervous than being caught in the middle of a P-Diddy nightclub shootout...It's a freaking Grammy segment...not the end of life on earth as we know it...Sometimes we just get way too wrapped up in these things... If it bothers anyone, my suggestion is...Don't watch...
    Last edited by StuBass1; 02-10-2019 at 02:29 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by StuBass1 View Post
    True dat...Coulda picked a lot of people... I've heard no Motown folks complain about this...I've worked with NARAS and they are a very traditional organization and all of a sudden, everybody becomes a segment producer... I understand...Got poor J-Lo more nervous than being caught in the middle of a P-Diddy nightclub shootout...It's a freaking Grammy segment...not the end of life on earth as we know it...Sometimes we just get way too wrapped up in these things... If it bothers anyone, my suggestion is...Don't watch...
    LMAO no one is that dramatic. You didn't realize there were gonna be strong opinions in this day and age though?

I wasn't gonna watch anyways so I can complain. LOL

Well said Marv. And it’s gonna be broadcast on April 21 on PBS which has had Brenda, Mary and many others on their past shows. No excuse not to have them on now. I guess the “big cheeses” have taken over the production. You’d think they’d learn by now.

Is it PBS or CBS?

Quote Originally Posted by jobeterob View Post
    Is it PBS or CBS?
    It will air April 21st on CBS.

Ooooos. I guess I misheard

It will air April 21st on CBS.
    Makes a lot more sense because they have big names both old and young

There are Motown albums and singles and Diana albums and singles all over the ITunes Charts

The Best Years of My Life is #50! Just like The Wiz - a lot bigger success now than when issued

Quote Originally Posted by floyjoy678 View Post
    Will Mary be there?
    I believe she was invited. She is of little significance but i would have liked to have seen Gladys and Lionel. Hopefully Duke and Otis will be there in some capacity.
    Last edited by Bluebrock; 02-13-2019 at 04:24 AM.

Mary at the Grammys

Pinched from Stephen Woods

Name:  Mary Wilson 003 Grammys 2019.jpg
Views: 1009
Size:  90.6 KB

Another pinched photo. Mary With Steven Aaron. Mary looks f-a-b-u-l-o-u-s

Name:  Mary Wilson 003 Grammys 2019 Steve Aaron.jpg
Views: 956
Size:  54.2 KB

Quote Originally Posted by theboyfromxtown View Post
    Mary at the Grammys

Pinched from Stephen Woods

Name:  Mary Wilson 003 Grammys 2019.jpg
Views: 1009
Size:  90.6 KB
    Are Otis and Duke there?

There’s a clip on Facebook of someone, I don’t know who, singing Mercy Mercy Me - and also of Stevie Wonder singing