[REMOVE ADS]

If Diana Ross decides to do lots of TV promos at the time of Thank you album release?

Come November around the time Diana Ross' new album is slated to drop, and she decides to appear on a number of talk shows and the like to promote the album and perform, should she just focus on doing one or two of the same songs like "Thank You" or "If the World Just Danced"? Or should she take the opportunity of the many appearances to perform a different song for each separate appearance?

Quote Originally Posted by Spreadinglove21 View Post
    Come November around the time Diana Ross' new album is slated to drop, and she decides to appear on a number of talk shows and the like to promote the album and perform, should she just focus on doing one or two of the same songs like "Thank You" or "If the World Just Danced"? Or should she take the opportunity of the many appearances to perform a different song for each separate appearance?
    I’m guessing it would be “Thank You” and perhaps one of the slower songs. I don’t think she would be prepared to put in the work of learning many more of the songs for live performances.

Choose the best potential winners and go with them.

very strange time to be working dance material

are discos even open??

Quote Originally Posted by jobeterob View Post
    Choose the best potential winners and go with them.
    I tend to agree.

Quote Originally Posted by Boogiedown View Post

are discos even open??
    Pretty sure discos have been closed for decades.

Loll
    Good one

You sing your current single. But November, the whole project will likely be yesterday’s news.

After 40 years of professional disappointments, how could any of us still be hopeful for something great?
    Last edited by Circa 1824; 09-17-2021 at 08:25 PM.

You sing your current single. By November, the whole project could be yesterday’s news.

After 40 years of professional disappointments, it is surprising any of us are still hopeful for something great.

Quote Originally Posted by Boogiedown View Post

are discos even open??
    I sometimes let the D word slip then regret it lol.

Circa1824 is right....and still more missed opportunities to add to the list..everything is out of sync YET AGAIN.

She can't even take a new photo for the cover, you think she's gonna do a talk show? Lol.

What a cackling cacophony on this thread. "Diana didn't do this as I expected". "She didn't do that as I liked". What a sad, pathetic group of "fans". Since you all are current superstars, go right ahead and keep telling Diana what to do. I'm not even a "Ross-er" and this is too much for me. Imma click elsewhere.

Quote Originally Posted by thanxal View Post
    Imma click elsewhere.
    No problem

Lol. This isn't an airport.

Wow! What a bunch of bitter queens. Diana releases new material, after more than 15 yrs absence from the studio. Something we all have been dreaming of. The material is up to date and fresh sounding, which is something most of all did not expect. Still, some of you are complaining about everyting and anything. Can she do anything right to some of you?!

Quote Originally Posted by Atasteofhoney View Post
    Wow! What a bunch of bitter queens. Diana releases new material, after more than 15 yrs absence from the studio. Something we all have been dreaming of. The material is up to date and fresh sounding, which is something most of all did not expect. Still, some of you are complaining about everyting and anything. Can she do anything right to some of you?!
    Oh ok. This bitter queen cries tears of joy and exstasy each time I hear Thank You and Just Dance. I have never experienced such audio pleasure.

Quote Originally Posted by Atasteofhoney View Post
    Up to date and fresh sounding? It's a step up from Ian Levine's karaoke work with the FLOs. Our ears clearly hear things differently.

The new songs are not terrible. They are ok songs. Both need bigger background choruses with a celebratory climax. Those soft endings are trite. So far, the songs are a kind of global-themed “I Will Survive.” We will see if there is a market for that.

Ross seems to view herself as a modern day Gandhi with the power to change and heal. I don’t think that is how the world sees her. The world wants glamour, great love songs, great beats and choruses, and a bit of Ross gossip added to the mix. We really haven’t had that in decades.
    Last edited by Circa 1824; 09-19-2021 at 10:48 AM.

Agree with the gossip, but what could be of any significant interest? Can Berry stir up some rumours? The only thing I can see would create big interest is if she talks about MJ and the alleged romance they had. Only problem is, Diana would never. Ever.

Perhaps Diana is waiting for the new album to actually be released before she takes on major promotion.

The day I LOVE YOU was released in the US, she appeared on GOOD MORNING AMERICA, LIVE WITH REGIS AND KELLY, and LATE SHOW WITH DAVID LETTERMAN. There were also spots on INSIDE EDITION and ENTERTAINMENT TONIGHT that week, as well as commercials for the album.

In the following weeks, she appeared on MARTHA STEWART, AMERICAN IDOL, and INSIDE THE ACTOR'S STUDIO.

All of this promo [plus being released in the midst of the DREAMGIRLS film hype] resulted in Diana's highest charting album since SWEPT AWAY in 1984.

Granted, it might have been nice if the THANK YOU album was available as soon as news broke about its release. The week it was announced, it was one of the top stories on THE TODAY SHOW and I believe GOOD MORNING AMERICA used the title track for a brief period. So there was big interest that could have attracted the general public as well as the die-hards.

But we shall see. I'm just happy she has something new coming.
    Last edited by reese; 09-20-2021 at 10:01 AM.

Wow, the Thought Police are really on their jobs. Guess what gang: fans have opinions. How is this a shock? I would like to know at what point did the collective fandom of the world take an oath that we would love everything, respect every move, and just shut up and enjoy whatever our favorite artists put out there, because I apparently missed that opportunity to object.

I would certainly categorize some of the opinions around here as a bit over the top considering who Diana is and where she is in her career, but damn, it's called having an opinion. Are we not allowed those anymore? I am not a superstar yet [[), but I definitely have ideas about some of Diana's career moves, past and present, that I personally believe she could've benefitted from. What's wrong with us discussing those things?

Maybe two or three posters are operating from a place of knocking the lady for the sake of knocking her, and I think they're pretty easy to identify, but most of the criticism in the forum surrounding the new project seem to come from a place of constructive criticism and a viewpoint on how to maximize the success of the project. Why turn the thread into a potential disaster with name calling simply because you don't care to read the criticism surrounding Diana's latest release?

We have one very specific screen name in the forum who considers it their job to consistently [[and one or two others who aren't quite as consistent) attack anyone who doesn't kiss the ass of Diana Ross with gushing platitudes and declarations about every single thing she has ever done being the greatest. Please don't join the ranks. The forum is such a cool place these days, minus a screen name or three.

The name calling was over the top and completely unnecessary.

Quote Originally Posted by reese View Post
    Perhaps Diana is waiting for the new album to actually be released before she takes on major promotion.

The day I LOVE YOU was released in the US, she appeared on GOOD MORNING AMERICA, LIVE WITH REGIS AND KELLY, and LATE SHOW WITH DAVID LETTERMAN. There were also spots on INSIDE EDITION and ENTERTAINMENT TONIGHT that week, as well as commercials for the album.

In the following weeks, she appeared on MARTHA STEWART, AMERICAN IDOL, and INSIDE THE ACTOR'S STUDIO.

All of this promo [plus being released in the midst of the DREAMGIRLS film hype] resulted in Diana's highest charting album since SWEPT AWAY in 1984.

Granted, it might have been nice if the THANK YOU album was available as soon as news broke about its release. The week it was announced, it was one of the top stories on THE TODAY SHOW and I believe GOOD MORNING AMERICA used the title track for a brief period. So there was big interest that could have attracted the general public as well as the die-hards.

Facts. And to add, I'm much more enthusiastic about the potential of the upcoming album than I was with ILY once I heard it and it's less-than-Diana-deserved sound quality. [[To be fair to ILY there are a couple of really nice moments on it, in spite of.)

From her twitter account:
    CBS SUNDAY MORNING showed the FIVE OF THE MOST ANTICIPATED ALBUMS OF FALL 2021, Diana Ross, “THANK YOU”
    Soooo Wonderful this make my hear sing

https://mobile.twitter.com/DianaRoss...01774202023944

CBS Sunday Morning would be a great venue for her to do an interview if she's up for that when it gets closer to album release time. Older demographic watches it and they would not do a trashy "who shoved who" type interview, but more likely go in depth about her music and her life/career. She can talk about her children but at the same time they won't let her talk only about her kids.

NPR would also be a good outlet for her in the states in terms of quality promotional platform that could appeal to her audience base.

Exactly. I'm glad she has new material coming out. And I hope when it gets closer to album release time she does put herself out there to promote it on shows/platforms suitable to her and would give her respect.

This past weekend's NY Sunday Times had a lengthy section called THE NEW SEASON, highlighting upcoming music, plays, etc. for the fall. In Part Four: Pop, there was a nice color photo of Diana and mention of her first album release in 15 years.

This past weekend's NY Sunday Times had a lengthy section called THE NEW SEASON, highlighting upcoming music, plays, etc. for the fall. In Part Four: Pop, there was a nice color photo of Diana and mention of her first album release in 15 years.
    ... and here's the text of the article that Reese found:
    DIANA ROSS You can’t hurry a Diana Ross record. The Motown icon’s first album in 15 years is the beatific “Thank You,” which features some fresh talent: Jack Antonoff, pop producer du jour, contributed to “I Still Believe,” a boisterous disco track that also features St. Vincent on guitar, and Tayla Parx, a frequent Ariana Grande collaborator, helped write the schmaltzy ballad “Just in Case.” [[Nov. 5; Decca)Horn

Oh dear, for no reason I thought I Still Believe would be a ballad.

It may be great track, but for the UK we needed a strong ballad as one of the pre-album release singles to really give maximum promotion.

As things stand, although hopefully they will change, the prospects for the album in the UK aren't great.

They've already bungled the release of If The World Just Danced.

Quote Originally Posted by florence View Post
    Oh dear, for no reason I thought I Still Believe would be a ballad.

It may be great track, but for the UK we needed a strong ballad as one of the pre-album release singles to really give maximum promotion.

As things stand, although hopefully they will change, the prospects for the album in the UK aren't great.

They've already bungled the release of If The World Just Danced.
    The world has danced and gone to bed as far as the single is concerned Flo.
    I’m still hoping that with promotion from Diana the album might do reasonably well. A promo visit to the UK would do wonders for its chances on these shores.

'A boisterous disco track' would probably do wonders for Diana in Europe, however, and chart success on the continent is good promo material for other territories.

I'd be surprised if a really good hi-nrg track wouldn't work for Diana in the UK. They have embraced disco tracks from aging divas like Minelli and Bassey in the past.

Diana is scheduling stuff into next summer, so it seems that nothing was stopping her except the shutdown and virus. She remains active and will probably give her new album appropriate promotion.

She has announced she will play Cardiff Castle next summer.

The show on Friday 10th June 2022 is part of her Thank You tour.

I am confident that she doesn't expect the album to self promote and she will be promoting it in her own way.

https://nation.cymru/culture/diana-r...e-next-summer/

Bad timing cost If The World Just Danced - it needs a couple of plays but I love it - much more than Thank You.

Although physical sales are minimal now at least the exposure on Radio2 UK has helped the record reach Top 40 on iTunes and it creeps into the National Sales chart at #99.

Quote Originally Posted by florence View Post
    Bad timing cost If The World Just Danced - it needs a couple of plays but I love it - much more than Thank You.

Although physical sales are minimal now at least the exposure on Radio2 UK has helped the record reach Top 40 on iTunes and it creeps into the National Sales chart at #99.
    Many thanks for the update Florence.