[REMOVE ADS]

Ron Howard's "Eight Days A Week" Motown error.

On the second dvd of bonus material they come to a part mentioning The Beatles early influences as several early r&b artists. Then it was mentioned they also liked the girl groups. They mentioned The Shirelles and showed a photo of them for a mere second and then said The Chiffons but, the photo they showed was The Marvelettes. It was the four of them from one of those James Klingmen promotional photo's that are so well known. I wondered if anyone else caught that. I was surprised that got by someone as meticulous as Ron Howard. Then many films have mistakes.

I'm so happy you posted this and reminded me of this doc, which I had been wanting to watch. Best to you!

It's so worth watching. Look for the wonderful stories from Whoopi Goldberg and Sigourney Weaver. The footage that was caught is amazing.

Quote Originally Posted by nathanj06 View Post
    On the second dvd of bonus material they come to a part mentioning The Beatles early influences as several early r&b artists. Then it was mentioned they also liked the girl groups. They mentioned The Shirelles and showed a photo of them for a mere second and then said The Chiffons but, the photo they showed was The Marvelettes. It was the four of them from one of those James Klingmen promotional photo's that are so well known. I wondered if anyone else caught that. I was surprised that got by someone as meticulous as Ron Howard. Then many films have mistakes.
    Its always been known that the Beatles were heavily influenced by the Motown Sound, in fact there second album here in the U.K. " With The Beatles" contained three Motown covers, 'Please Mr Postman', 'You've Really Got A Hold On Me' and 'Money' although these tracks were not included on the equivalent U.S. release, "Meet The Beatles", possibly due to copyright restrictions.
    I remember early interviews when John Lennon applauding the Motown Sound, never any mention of The Shirelles or The Chiffons and of course Mary Wells was invited to tour with the Beatles in the U.K. in 1964 and Brenda Holloway in the U.S. in 1965.

Any UK member who wishes to see this movie, please note it is being shown on More 4 TV on New Year's Day at 9.00-11.15pm.

Quote Originally Posted by masterblaster View Post
    Its always been known that the Beatles were heavily influenced by the Motown Sound, in fact there second album here in the U.K. " With The Beatles" contained three Motown covers, 'Please Mr Postman', 'You've Really Got A Hold On Me' and 'Money' although these tracks were not included on the equivalent U.S. release, "Meet The Beatles", possibly due to copyright restrictions.
    I remember early interviews when John Lennon applauding the Motown Sound, never any mention of The Shirelles or The Chiffons and of course Mary Wells was invited to tour with the Beatles in the U.K. in 1964 and Brenda Holloway in the U.S. in 1965.
    Those 3 songs were included on the U.S. The Beatles Second Album. I understand the track differences in the U.K. versus the U.S. but Meet The Beatles is considered their first U.S. album with the exception, of course, being the Vee Jay album, Introducing The Beatles. It all gets very intricate but yes, they were influenced by Motown and R&B.

Quote Originally Posted by snakepit View Post
    Any UK member who wishes to see this movie, please note it is being shown on More 4 TV on New Year's Day at 9.00-11.15pm.
    So worth seeing. Even though The Beatles Anthology tells a longer story, this Ron Howard production is historical on its own. I know when they showed it in theaters they showed the complete Shea Stadium concert which I so hoped they would have added to the DVD but they didn't. I have seen a lesser quality version. I recently finished the 2-book set, Have Fun Tonight about each stop on their touring years. It was as if it took you right along side them with remarkable ephemera.
    Last edited by nathanj06; 12-22-2018 at 03:38 PM.

It's also being shown in the UK tonight, Christmas night on Channel 4 at a quarter past midnight.

As regards the full Shea Stadium concert being included on the DVD, I believe there was a copyright issue as regards ownership of the footage which subsequently prevented use on the DVD.

That's really unfortunate. I'm surprised they got it for the theater edition. It would have been a great opportunity for a 30 minute show of that magnitude. Some of the short Shea clips shown were excellent quality. Maybe we'll see it in another form eventually like Let It Be.....but that's another story altogether.