[REMOVE ADS]

Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 LastLast
    I like it!!!! I think i'll buy this! Thanks Roger!

Hi Marv, I missed this post originally. I am not sure what I could have added except that Disco to me was Soul Music with a Groove you could move to. And Did We Move!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by tom_moulton View Post
    Hi Marv, I missed this post originally. I am not sure what I could have added except that Disco to me was Soul Music with a Groove you could move to. And Did We Move!!!!

Yes we did! I don't recall many obese people back then either! LOL! Tom I wanted to know what methods or steps you took with a specific record to make the extended remix ? I mean how did you decide which parts to use?

Quote Originally Posted by roger View Post
    Hey Marv2 .. I can tell by that statement that you can't possibly live in the U.K. ..

Here is the recent JAMIROQUAI single .. "Nothing But Blue Skies" ..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=afnPQCEE16o

Roger
    That's right Roger. I live in New York. Thanks for this nice clip.

Quote Originally Posted by tom_moulton View Post
    I totally agree...and you made a great contribution to the movement

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hHe7E...eature=related

A great disco song and I'm still wearing out the CD. Those were the days my friend!

And of course, Marv... disco is still being exploited commercially. I'm working this winter as interim manager of a floral shop, and we have for valentine's day... a PINK HIPPO in a pink satin TUTU, that is battery operated and shakes her hips to Donna Summer's "Hot Stuff". I kid you NOT.
    Last edited by jillfoster; 01-22-2011 at 09:19 PM.

Too funny! LOL!!!

the only thing I care less for is anything
    produced by Ian Levine...
    That comment made me laugh out loud. Splanky you seem to feel about the man's music the way I feel about the man himself, although I'm willing to bet the intensity of my feelings may be deeper than yours.

I'm not going to try and defend or flame Levine's productions. Although I admit to not being a big fan. [[with a few exceptions)

I will tell you that one of the problems with the music; many of the tracks released were demos and not finished/polished product. It would not surprise me if he disagreed but I've spoken to artists that were involved with some of his projects.

I will say this, because of many of those tracks, a lot of older artist were and are able to work in the UK. They are very popular on the Northern Soul scene. I guess you could say, there is a silver lining in every dark cloud. shrugs

Marv, as far as disco goes, I liked it during it's day and I don't dislike it now but I can't remember the last time I listened to a disco track. [[not even the ones posted....sorry) The only disco LP I can recall buying is Chic. If there were others I don't remember ....but we're talking the decadent 70's...I'll leave it at that.

so, which ones of you had a coke spoon necklace? [[grin)

Don't look at me!

the coke spoon necklace was rather dorky to me JillFoster but I do know a lot of people running around trying to look cool in NikNiks with small burn holes...LOL

From the genius of Tom Moulton

I have been following this thread ,and was moved by Ms M's post.
    "The only disco LP I can recall buying is Chic. If there were others I don't remember ....but we're talking the decadent 70's...I'll leave it at that."
    Now I know you must have some Stephanie Mills ,"What You Gonna Do With My Lovin?" ,Luther Vandross, "Never Too Much" ,
    Marvin Gaye ,"Got To Give It Up" , MFSB ,"Love Is The Message" ,George Benson ,"20/20" , The O'Jays ,"For The Love Of Money" , I could go on through the list of "Classic R&B" tracks that are basic knowledge [[101) for true Soul/R&B/Funk/Jazz fans. And the strange thing is that they are also considered or associated with the "Disco era".
    All those tracks are real instruments ,excellently recorded ,mixed and '"Disco remixed" at some time. So what makes them R&B and "DISCO"?
    Take MFSB's ,"Love Is The Message" ,a symfunknic masterpiece of writing, arranging and recording. It's a funky lush big band type jam. Each part ,strings ,horn ,rythum ,has a short solo. Tom's genius remix just fleshed out what was waiting to be assembled in the right way. Every part has an extended solo. The remix as ingenius as it is ,only serves to expose the fact that the musicians were playing they ass off and the quality of the writing. All 3 forces joined to make that classic R&B recording, also considered "Disco" ,the same as the others mentioned.
    So the question remains ,what is "Disco" exactly? So far in the posts above there were reggae ,rock ,funk and latin based tracks ,mentioned in the same breath as "DISCO or DISCO ERA track. Is that what "Disco" is ,a sort of new crossover catagory? Does the fact that a Funk or Soul or other genre track that came out during this certain era time period and was played in the DICO/CLUBS of the time ,is considered ,"Disco"?

I felt the social stigma of disco where I lived, but that didn't stoip me from liking and buying it. At the end of the day, music is music, whatever it is, and if you like it, that's all that matters.

You're right Daddyacey I do own most [[if not all) of the tracks you mentioned but I don't think of them as Disco. To me, it's a different sound and vibe. I don't know the words to describe it and I guess there is an academic explanation in terms of musicality or maybe not, but It's just something I feel when separating R&B from Disco.

Another song that is my life story

One of my all time favorite disco tracks

Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    Yes we did! I don't recall many obese people back then either! LOL! Tom I wanted to know what methods or steps you took with a specific record to make the extended remix ? I mean how did you decide which parts to use?
    LOL @ not recalling obese people back then

Quote Originally Posted by glencro View Post
    LOL @ not recalling obese people back then
    Well, whenever I look at personal photographs I don't see any overweight, obese people in them and the next time you get the chance to look at old American Bandstand, Soul Train or any classic dance shows........no obese people. Looking at photos in general from the 70's [[Google some!), you just don't see many if any at all! LOL!

Well, whenever I look at personal photographs I don't see any overweight, obese people in them and the next time you get the chance to look at old American Bandstand, Soul Train or any classic dance shows........no obese people. Looking at photos in general from the 70's [[Google some!), you just don't see many if any at all! LOL!
    You are so right...Think I need to find a dance floor lol

That's because everyone was doing lines of coke!

i find it funny that Bianca and Liza would have us believe they really didnt hang out at 54 when they were practically there every night..why deny it? its documented for heaven sake..Bianca went so far as to sue for every mention of her to be deleted from the Andy Warhol diaries..oh please..Theres plenty of photos of Michael Jackson at 54 so he was just a regular guy at one point who loved a disco that damn Thriller LP sent him to neverland..

When was Liza denying it?

she did an interview where she said it was a ghastly place and if you see a picture of her there shes always asking someone the way out..which is bull she had things like the NewYork NewYork party thrown for her there and Ive got a picture of her duetting with Diana after the big bust..Liza loved her coccaine and she loved Steve Rubell and 54..

Quote Originally Posted by glencro View Post
    From the genius of Tom Moulton
    by the way this is LOOSE CHANGE "Straight From The Heart"

OMG-Gloria, Thelma and Vickie Sue!!http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mJnE5...A735F&index=25

Quote Originally Posted by nomis View Post
    i find it funny that Bianca and Liza would have us believe they really didnt hang out at 54 when they were practically there every night..why deny it? its documented for heaven sake..Bianca went so far as to sue for every mention of her to be deleted from the Andy Warhol diaries..oh please..Theres plenty of photos of Michael Jackson at 54 so he was just a regular guy at one point who loved a disco that damn Thriller LP sent him to neverland..
    They are all lying.

glencro........
    LOOSE CHANGE "Straight From The Heart"

Are them boy's ,"Humpin" in the last 60 seconds of this track!!!!!!!! ,or what!!!!!! This is one JUST ONE of T.M. produced tracks that have been "Shamelessly" overlooked or worse. An "aural asswhoppin" ,all around.
    I asked Mr. Moulton at one time on the old board if he had any intention on doing a remix on it ,but at the time he was working on the Philly Groove project.
    Maybe ?????????????????

Daddyacey, that entire track is slammin but yes I love that ending...I wish that Tom Moulton would release a box set of his mixes...teh man knew how to keep the party goin

Harmony by Suzi Lane
    Sinner Man by Sarah Dash
    Two bonafide Disco classics I still spin and still like today.

Quote Originally Posted by Motown_M_1056 View Post
    Harmony by Suzi Lane
    Sinner Man by Sarah Dash
    Two bonafide Disco classics I still spin and still like today.
    OMG......forgot about the wonderful "Sinner Man" by Sarah Dash! Thanks for posting. Brings back lots of memories! Where are those platform shoes?!
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TxHnXpfAr1I

Brainstorm's "Lovin Is Real In My Game"...Always a winner

That's the one, glencro!

I didn't read all the post,but i hope someone mentioned the very cool[shake your groovething-peaches n herb]!

I found some interesting deep reading material on this subject of the entity part of DISCO, Ms M , you may find them interesting, [[always a pleasure ),as well as anyone else. GOOGLE ,of course...................
    "Disco play starts a hit" , Billboard ,10/26/74
    "Discotheque club dialog" ,Billboard ,2/11/74
    "Paaaaarty!!!" ,Rolling Stone ,9/13/73
    www.timlawrence.info

glencrow...."Brainstorm's "Lovin Is Real In My Game"...Always a winner" , Sho u right bout that. As a matter of fact ,Stephanie and Timmyfunk had just commented on the fact that ,that track would not be the same on CD as it is on vinyl. And if you all notice ,every track you all have mentioned above was made in the pre digital age ,just about. I dont know if you all have knowledge of hearing them all in the original vinyl format ,but Dance Music/Disco ,does not transfer well to the Digital medium. It's something about the resonance of the vinyl and the tone arm that adds an important essence to the recording. That sterile quality that gives Classical music it's other worldly clarity in digital format ,don't work with the Funk and Classical mixture of the fully orchestrated Dance Music of the time. Funk is Thick ,Heavy.....Classical is not. The medium also plays a big part in the sound ,which is a big part of the DISCO phenom. Take for example a pre-Disco track of Jimmy Castor's ,"It's Just Begun", or B.T Express ,"Express". The vinyl versions still out shine any CD remaster. It's just like when you hear a recording from the 40's or 50's remastered to CD. They lose some of the character of the original ,even though the original quality may seem inferior to todays sound ,it really doesn't make them any "better".
    Any way ,please check out those articles and sites. This is going to be one of those deep threads ,and we still haven't touched on the main characters involved in the "Disco" phenom ,which was the ..........................D.J.!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!
    Last edited by daddyacey; 01-29-2011 at 04:26 AM.

TA TA VEGA is mostly known as the voice in the famed church scene of "The Color Purple" but she dropped this disco gem in 1979 "Get It Up For Love" ...ENJOY!!!!!
    Last edited by glencro; 02-15-2011 at 09:03 PM.

I think we have a bit more to discuss here.......

Like what ....?????

I moved this my post here from the Temptations "Masterpiece" thread because it's text is more appropriate here.

Kenneth, "The Hustle" came out in the summer of 1975, after disco was already a fad. Before that song came out, we had already had many disco hits, including one that many still consider the first disco hit, but wasn't really a disco hit at all: "Rock The Boat" by The Hues Corporation. Both songs incorporated what was called the Latin Hustle, both a dance and a musical style popularized by "Rock The Boat". Of course, before those, we had other claims to the first disco song:

Love Train - The O'Jays
    Where Did Our Love Go - Donnie Ebert
    Son Of My Father - Giorgio Moroder
    The Love I Lost - Harold Melvin & The Bluenotes [In fact, the drummer [[Earl Young?) is credited for inventing the open-closed syncopotated hi-hat pattern.]
    Armed And Extremely Dangerous - First Choice
    ..and anything by Barry White!

And, we had many disco hits before then, like "Doctor's Orders" by Gloria Gaynor, "Do It "Till You're Satisfied" by B.T. Express, "Boogie Down" by Eddie Kendricks, "Could It be I'm Falling In Love" by Spinners, "Attitude Dancing" by Carly Simon, "Swearin' To God" by Frankie Valli, "Rock Me Gently" by Andy Kim, and, again, just about anything by Barry White! But, by 1975, The Tempations had gotten nasty funky with "Shaky Ground"

I'd say that 1973 was the year that disco broke out, but not too many people called it that. I do recall that the above mentioned Spinners song was being played alongside their 1972 single "I'll be Around" on the radio in the late summer of 1972.

Doctors Order was by Carol Douglass in 1974

I loved every minute of it.
    Ceasar

Quote Originally Posted by Jimi LaLumia View Post
    Great clip Jim
    !

This post is a continuation of the discussion that blossomed here: http://soulfuldetroit.com/showthread...6979#post66979

Quote Originally Posted by roger View Post
    I can hardly claim to be an expert on what was going on in the U.S. at that time, living 3000 Miles away, but from my outside perspective .. reading "Blues & Soul" etc. it seems that sometime around 1972/3 "Discos" started to become established in parts of the U.S. and that overwhelmingly they were playing uptempo/midtempo R&B/Soul. So, sales of uptempo R&B/Soul started to pick up and some U.S. record companies [[Roulette, Scepter and P.I.R. come to mind) started to think about how their releases might sound in a nightclub. And some people started calling this music "Disco".

So, I think what actually makes a record a "Disco" record is it being recorded/produced with how it sounds when played in a nightclub being a major consideration.

I'm not sure about the exact first time that I first saw "Disco" in "Blues & Soul" being used to describe a variety of music rather than a venue but it would have had to have been some time late in 1973, especially with new Philadelphia recordings like "The Love I Lost"/"Look Me Up"/"Both Ends Against The Middle" ... certainly by mid 1974 the term was being used very liberally to describe new uptempo R&B/Soul .. "Rock The Boat"/T.S.O.P/"Rock Your Baby" etc. etc.
    I'd say that's a pretty accurate assessment. Like I said, the term "disco" wasn't even used until late 1975 or even 1976 here in the states. To us, it was all R&B dance music. Disco seemed to come about right around the time the stuff from Europe started getting played here, like Donna Summer and Silver Convention.

As for the first disco record is concerned, I don't even care. The sound just seemed to come together from a variety of places. And, there are those who still go nuclear at the mere mention of the word, and those who argue that it's not music, that it destroyed R&B, rock, whatever. But, it's just a friggin' musical style, no more, no less. It's only the snobs and bigots that seem to have a problem with it.

Quote Originally Posted by daddyacey View Post
    Doctors Order was by Carol Douglass in 1974
    My bad! I should know that.

Can't keep still listening to this one

Disco happens to be my fav era as well and I'm only 35 yrs old Yet, I love how alot of the 78 disco joints evolved into "Disco House Music".
    Some of my alltime fav Disco joints, too many to mention but here's a few:

Chic: Everybody Dance
    Sylvester: Well pretty much all his hits
    CJ & Company: We got our own thang
    Carrie Lucas: Keep on Dancing
    Sharon Redd: All her hits
    Bohannon: "Me and the Gang", "Lets start the Dance"
    Black Ivory: Mainline
    Five Special: "Why leave us alone"
    Cerrone: Love in C Minor
    Chic: All the hits ofcourse
    Tavares: "It only takes a Minute", other hits

Last edited by glencro; 12-01-2017 at 01:48 PM.

First time I've looked at this thread, quick scan [[boy there's a lot of text) and I can't find any mention of Thelma.

Apologies if there is