[REMOVE ADS]

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Luann de Lesseps apologizes for controversial Diana Ross costume

I don't know who she is but it looks sketchy despite her claims that she wasn't trying to do blackface. These folks kill me acting like blackface should be acceptable on Halloween. Why couldn't she be Diana Ross without color? Every Halloween thousands of Black people dress up like famous white folks and never think to make our skin white.

I wonder who she is too. Part of the current crop of something or others?

Quote Originally Posted by jobeterob View Post
    I wonder who she is too. Part of the current crop of something or others?
    She's a former countess and current cast member of The Real Housewives of NYC. This is disgusting.

I’m embarrassed to admit I watched every episode of the real housewives of New York City…… And the Countess, as classy as she pretends to be, can we just as common as anyone else… And has an ego the size of the Atlantic. That being said, as horrified as I was when she made her entrance because I was afraid she was being diana ross, because she has mentioned before on the show how much she likes her, she was not in blackface at all. She always has that Tan and always looks like that in white dresses. She just thought if she put on a giant Afro and war something kind of slinky that she could be diana ross because she considers herself elegant and beautiful, but I do not believe she darkened her skin the slightest little bit or you can look up any episode of the show on YouTube and see her skin is always that tan …… She is also half Native American which helps gives her skin that beautiful color.

I would have never thought that she was Diana Ross and the fact that she keeps mentioning that she was Diana Ross meant it was a bad costume, she looks like a NOT very good drag queen dressed as Diana Ross.

She did nothing to make that wig look fabulous. Diana would never in her life put such a monstrosity on her head. That wig looks like hair that hasn't been washed in decades. Aside from that, this bitch is clueless...

Another racist trying to get her 15 minutes of fame, I see [[besides the Housewives trash).

I knew she was doing ross because the hair was so big and she had a microphone… And she has stated several times on the show how wonderful diana ross is… And she has attended her shows in New York City and at a benefit in the Hamptons… I don’t believe for a minute that she had any racist intentions or thoughts… She is also known to be quite a little tramp and has on occasion disappeared for the evening with men of color but that in itself I guess does not mean she is not a racist, I just do not believe that she is and she was certainly not doing black face. This can easily be proven by looking at any past episode and see that her skin tone has not changed in the slightest.

AndShe got her 15 minutes of fame years ago when she had a hit dance record, and obnoxious best-selling book called “class with the Countess “her high profile to force her a high profile marriage her second high profile divorce, her arrest… She’s been on page 6 nonstop for the last 10 years

aha - another one of those many that use a Ross connection for publicity

She looks more like Marge Simpson.

let me see if I've got this right, it's very insulting for some to dare see Diana Ross being portrayed as a black woman ..........Oh-kay

lmao !!!! only in ...... Snowflakeville !!!!

Clearly you do not have it right. Not even close. No one has said anything even hinting at that. Is pot legal where you are?

Quote Originally Posted by Boogiedown View Post
    let me see if I've got this right, it's very insulting for some to dare see Diana Ross being portrayed as a black woman ..........Oh-kay

Let me get you ALL the way together:
    There is a razor-thin line between cultural appreciation and cultural appropriation. And even the suggestion of blackface is NEVER okay. Period.

And as for the “snowflake” shit, I’m not here for it. Why don’t you go play on Stormfront?

Quote Originally Posted by sansradio View Post
    Let me get you ALL the way together:
    There is a razor-thin line between cultural appreciation and cultural appropriation. And even the suggestion of blackface is NEVER okay. Period.

And as for the “snowflake” shit, I’m not here for it. Why don’t you go play on Stormfront?
    Sans I wouldn't even bother. To think, someone would rationalize blackface in a forum dedicated to the accomplishments, talents and music of Black people and an important enterprise in Black history [[not to mention general American history). I don't know this woman and I don't watch the show that she's on. Perhaps blackface wasn't her intention, perhaps it was. I don't know. But I know what box to click for anyone who thinks a "snowflake" is the only person who has a problem with blackface. As I said above, every Halloween Black folks everywhere dress up as some white person without ever whitening up their skin. Why do some white people think they can't do the same?

Can I have a Roberta moment right now

Trump is a true free thinker. Most refreshing.
    Y'all have to remember... Boogie be crazy

Quote Originally Posted by TheMotownManiac View Post
    I knew she was doing ross because the hair was so big and she had a microphone… And she has stated several times on the show how wonderful diana ross is… And she has attended her shows in New York City and at a benefit in the Hamptons… I don’t believe for a minute that she had any racist intentions or thoughts… She is also known to be quite a little tramp and has on occasion disappeared for the evening with men of color but that in itself I guess does not mean she is not a racist, I just do not believe that she is and she was certainly not doing black face. This can easily be proven by looking at any past episode and see that her skin tone has not changed in the slightest.
    Girl look like Marge Simpson!
    You KNOW Diana wouldn't be caught dead in that wig!

Also, just block Boogie. I called his bluff years ago when he made that idiotic armpit post lol
    Last edited by midnightman; 04-06-2018 at 05:44 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by RanRan79 View Post
    Sans I wouldn't even bother. To think, someone would rationalize blackface in a forum dedicated to the accomplishments, talents and music of Black people and an important enterprise in Black history [[not to mention general American history). I don't know this woman and I don't watch the show that she's on. Perhaps blackface wasn't her intention, perhaps it was. I don't know. But I know what box to click for anyone who thinks a "snowflake" is the only person who has a problem with blackface. As I said above, every Halloween Black folks everywhere dress up as some white person without ever whitening up their skin. Why do some white people think they can't do the same?
    This. Precisely. Love Black music, but hold Black people in contempt. It boggles the mind. Thank you, my always spot-on friend.

Quote Originally Posted by midnightman View Post
    Girl look like Marge Simpson!
    You KNOW Diana wouldn't be caught dead in that wig!

Also, just block Boogie. I called his bluff years ago when he made that idiotic armpit post lol
    Done deal, honey.

Quote Originally Posted by TomatoTom123 View Post
    Y'all have to remember... Boogie be crazy
    Crazy or not, this was just disrespectful for all the reasons that have previously been stated and shouldn't have any place on a forum dedicated to a historical African American entity such as Motown.

LMAO Wasn't that just last month? In any case, I have yet to block anyone because you never know when you might read something worth knowing, but this kind of shit is on another level from people arguing about Supremes. I might have to take your advice.

Love Black music, but hold Black people in contempt.
    Aint that the way though? It's been like that. Love Black people cooking the food, but don't want us at the table. Love Black people cleaning your house, but don't want them living in your neighborhood. The more things change...

Aint that the way though? It's been like that. Love Black people cooking the food, but don't want us at the table. Love Black people cleaning your house, but don't want them living in your neighborhood. The more things change...
    Come on, church!

Preach my dear. All of the women on these housewives shows are nothing but hollering and classless and out of touch oportunists who want to be something but in reality there the lowest form of showbusiness and have zero self respect. Theyd need to be a bit more charitable and a bit more caring before id watch any of there silly shows.

Roberta while I agree with everything you say about those housewives [[unfortunately my partner watches them *sigh*) I do think this is being blown out of proportion. This woman frequently wears that makeup, I've seen it before on the shows and several Italian women in my old neighborhood when I lived in Bergen county wore it.

LuAnn is a fan of my pal, Cherry Vanilla [[Warhol/Bowie/Punk Rock, etc) she should have gone as Vanilla!!!

LMAO Wasn't that just last month? In any case, I have yet to block anyone because you never know when you might read something worth knowing, but this kind of shit is on another level from people arguing about Supremes. I might have to take your advice.
    As soon as someone goes about how we as black folks "whine too much" when talking of issues that affects us, what is there to talk about? LOL you see he hasn't been on here since saying that mess, have you? HAHA

Quote Originally Posted by floyjoy678 View Post
    Roberta while I agree with everything you say about those housewives [[unfortunately my partner watches them *sigh*) I do think this is being blown out of proportion. This woman frequently wears that makeup, I've seen it before on the shows and several Italian women in my old neighborhood when I lived in Bergen county wore it.
    Forgive me for saying this but those housewives are all self promoting out of touch trash. Id rather watch President Pu*sy Grabber dye his hair yellow than watch there shows. Actually scratch that option. LOL

As soon as someone goes about how we as black folks "whine too much" when talking of issues that affects us, what is there to talk about? LOL you see he hasn't been on here since saying that mess, have you? HAHA
    Yup. Oh there is never anything to talk about. Since I peeped what he was all about a couple months back I haven't responded to any of his responses to anything. The same for the other racist POS on here [[this dude is Black though), I don't bother with him. And the trolls. I just don't feed them. It's probably best to start using the block function.

Quote Originally Posted by floyjoy678 View Post
    Respectfully, floyjoy, I could accept this view if it weren’t for one thing: that hair. All wrong and offensive, to boot.

It's probably best to start using the block function.
    That has made my SDF experience much more enjoyable.

Yup. Oh there is never anything to talk about. Since I peeped what he was all about a couple months back I haven't responded to any of his responses to anything. The same for the other racist POS on here [[this dude is Black though), I don't bother with him. And the trolls. I just don't feed them. It's probably best to start using the block function.
    So Boog's an Uncle Tom then? Good to know lol

Really, who gives a shixxx shoot? She's a white trash reality thing. Sold whatever 'soul' she had. Next?

This. Precisely. Love Black music, but hold Black people in contempt. It boggles the mind. Thank you, my always spot-on friend.
    Crazy or not, this was just disrespectful for all the reasons that have previously been stated and shouldn't have any place on a forum dedicated to a historical African American entity such as Motown.
    Mmmhmm sans & RanRan, not only is it disrespectful, it is also incredibly dumb is it not? Makes no sense. Also, what is up with this "snowflake" nonsense!? I hate that.

it seems to me that if everyone was a so-called snowflake the world might be a better place

Quote Originally Posted by Roberta75 View Post
    Forgive me for saying this but those housewives are all self promoting out of touch trash. Id rather watch President Pu*sy Grabber dye his hair yellow than watch there shows. Actually scratch that option. LOL
    And old me didn’t even know who she was

It’s so lame to have to go to Diana Ross at 74 for publicity

So Boog's an Uncle Tom then? Good to know lol
    I was referring to another poster in the forum who I believe is Black but showed he definitely harbors a negative and nasty attitude where young Black people are concerned. Uncle Tom, racist, self hating ass muthafucka...whatever label, it applies to the person I was referencing. As for the person in this thread that you've referenced, in all honesty I assume he's white. I could be wrong about that.

Quote Originally Posted by thanxal View Post
    That has made my SDF experience much more enjoyable.
    Looks like I'm joining the club.

Mmmhmm sans & RanRan, not only is it disrespectful, it is also incredibly dumb is it not? Makes no sense. Also, what is up with this "snowflake" nonsense!? I hate that.

it seems to me that if everyone was a so-called snowflake the world might be a better place
    Well there are people who are overly sensitive, which this "snowflake" bullshit term is supposed to describe, and overly sensitivity can be problematic for sure. But who- with any knowledge of US history- would think such a term applies to people who take issue with someone donning blackface? He's either an idiot or a troll. My guess is the latter with racist tacked on to the end of it.

I was referring to another poster in the forum who I believe is Black but showed he definitely harbors a negative and nasty attitude where young Black people are concerned. Uncle Tom, racist, self hating ass muthafucka...whatever label, it applies to the person I was referencing. As for the person in this thread that you've referenced, in all honesty I assume he's white. I could be wrong about that.
    Oh OK lol
    But yeah I think Boog was just an alt-right troll now.

And, not for nothing, the term "snowflake" is an old-time slur against Black people. These Trumpites think they're slick, but they could stand another greasing.

And, not for nothing, the term "snowflake" is an old-time slur against Black people. These Trumpites think they're slick, but they could stand another greasing.
    It is? Cite your source . Has nothing to do with race. Fake news.

well I'm a bit busy . I haven't the time to post post after post in thread after thread --- .

midnightman:
    RE: blocking me:
    please follow your own advice .
    Last edited by Boogiedown; 04-15-2018 at 02:15 AM.

You're immediately strongly opinionated and outraged , while in the same breath admitting you know not the least of the situation that has you so riled. [[ sorry but this is a typical knee-jerk "snowflake" reaction. )

Ranran79:
    Every Halloween thousands of Black people dress up like famous white folks and never think to make our skin white.
    And if they did , who cares??
    This has got me really curious . What famous white people are blacks dressing up as on Halloween????

Did someone say something? I see a lot of hidden messages. Oh wait... lol

Did someone say something? I see a lot of hidden messages. Oh wait... lol
    perfect!!!
    THANK YOU!!

It's really sad to read through this thread . I'd prefer to not have to respond at all , but you can't let this current tactic of shouting you down appear as the way to "win".

All these personal insults and putdowns, and let me guess , each of you would decry "bullying", yet what do you think you are doing here?
    You'll demand "tolerance" of others toward you and your issues, but when it comes to practicing the concept yourself , you instead are quite intolerant, as anyone reading this thread can see.

All this noise, but I haven't changed my original view . And none of you have posted anything of merit to cause me to do so.

I still think it's absurd to flip out because someone enhances their skin tone to better represent a visual impression of Diana Ross. They are trying to accurately replicate her appearance!! She has a specific skin tone. To look most like her, they copied it . It would be far more offensive to not include her skin color.

A costume mirroring any notorious person is simply more authentic and realistic when it includes accurate skin color . If you choose to "sort of" look like them , well OK , but - the best costume is going to be the one that best captures the persona . If that includes skin tone , that just better completes the illusion . And so what?? It's skin tone ! Everybody's got one!

To be clear, I do not consider that type of impersonating as "blackface" , and so maybe that's where we part company.

Are you all saying that only black people can dress up as "black" people and only white people can dress up as "white" people. If a white person dresses up as Diana Ross it has to be as a "white" Diana Ross?? Does that not read as absurd??

Here is where I'd like to say "lighten up people" ,
    but no doubt the snowflake crowd would not see even an ounce of humor in it .
    Last edited by Boogiedown; 04-15-2018 at 02:18 AM.

I'm so glad I didn't block you per the suggestions of my forum buddies. Sometimes it's a good thing to make sure ignorance has a rebuttal.

You're immediately strongly opinionated and outraged , while in the same breath admitting you know not the least of the situation that has you so riled. [[ sorry but this is a typical knee-jerk "snowflake" reaction. )
    I wasn't immediately outraged by this woman. What I originally said was "I don't know who she is but it looks sketchy...". And it did look sketchy. When I pulled up the photos in question, it looked like she had applied an insane amount of bronzer- which she claimed was what she used to give her skin some color- and I thought it was possible that she did so in order to make herself look more Black. What I was "strongly opinionated" about was the overall issue of the accusation: white people who think it necessary to color their skin in a costume as a Black person. And that issue comes up every other year when some white celebrity does it and then claims ignorance when they get roasted for it. As the thread carried on, a couple of viewers of the show this woman is on have defended her, stating that she always looks like that. I don't watch the show so I deferred to their views as viewers and refrained from commenting anymore until your rude comments appeared. As I said later, I don't know if she's guilty or not, but the overall issue is sickening. And you're damn right, I had something to say about it.

And if they did , who cares??
    This has got me really curious . What famous white people are blacks dressing up as on Halloween????
    I don't know who would care. I do know that white people don't have a history in this country- or around the world- of people using makeup to make themselves look more white and then using the depiction to degrade and belittle millions of people around the world. That I know as fact. So I imagine not too many white people would be offended by someone doing "whiteface". But then they don't have the history to be offended either. And I've been to costume parties where Black people have dressed up as such famous figures as Marilyn Monroe, Charlie Chaplin, Wonder Woman, Snow White, [[the last two being fictional characters, but we all know what they looked like) among so many others, and yet there was no need to make themselves white in order to get their point across. But when you see color as the identifier [["but color doesn't matter"..."color isn't an issue"...so often says people who use the term "snowflake" on a daily basis...so much for that) I guess this kind of thing wouldn't bother you.

You'll demand "tolerance" of others toward you and your issues, but when it comes to practicing the concept yourself , you instead are quite intolerant
    Interesting. What exactly regarding blackface is your issue that we should be tolerant of? I'm very curious about this.

A costume mirroring any notorious person is simply more authentic and realistic when it includes accurate skin color
    Oh, you've answered my question. I see now what your issue is. [[Well I knew what it was already, honestly.) Except millions of people do it every Halloween, every costume party, and look great without bringing skin color into it. A Diana Ross costume doesn't have to include Black skin in order to reflect who it is, no more than a Bruce Lee costume has to include exaggerated slanted eyes in order to suggest Asian ancestry. If you can't do Diana Ross without coloring your skin or Bruce Lee without messing with your eyes, you either severely lack imagination or you're a bigot. And the fact that you don't recognize the issue...well you do recognize it but just don't care. So never mind.

It's really sad to read through this thread...you can't let this current tactic of shouting you down appear as the way to "win"...All these personal insults and putdowns...each of you would decry "bullying", yet what do you think you are doing here?...
    Let's be honest here, the real "snowflake" is you Boogie. You're talking about being sad reading through the thread and how people are bullying you with insults but you were the very first one in the thread to offer insults to anyone else in the thread. As I stated above, a couple of people came into the thread and said they didn't think that the woman was intentionally guilty of blackface for the fact that she is always heavily bronzed. They were able to do that without name calling anyone who had previously commented. You could've come into the thread and said you didn't think it was blackface and kept it moving. Instead you disgraced us with your presence by being snarky [["snarky" not a bad thing when one is bringing levity to a conversation, but you weren't trying to be funny, you were getting something started, and I recognized that which is why none of my previous comments were directed at you.) and disrespectful, using a term that has been usurped by a group of people who really do believe only their issues matter, to blanket anyone who apparently didn't hold your view on what only an idiot wouldn't recognize is a sensitive matter.

Had you said you didn't see this as blackface, your opinion would've sat alongside every other opinion on here. If your thoughts on blackface are one where you aren't bothered by it, that's your business. I remember eons ago where Whoopi Goldberg was in the middle of some craziness because Ted Danson did blackface at a roast for her and she didn't see anything wrong with it, in fact even helped him come up with the whole act. This world is made up of all kinds of people who don't see everything through the same eyes. But when your comments on this board are purposefully inflammatory and then you get responses that reflect that, you can't claim bullying. What you did is exactly what Midnightman accused you of: you're a troll. You use words like "snowflake" to get a rise and I wish that people had done what I've been doing to you since I peeped out how you like to get down on this forum, and that's simply scroll past you and move on. But your words this morning actually deserved a response. I'm sure they will have no positive effect on you. You'll continue with your namecalling, belittling, and trolling until you cease to exist around here.

So I'll let this sit right here until or if this thread is deleted.

It is? Cite your source . Has nothing to do with race. Fake news.
    http://www.rsdb.org/race/blacks

https://propagandaprofessor.net/2017...omy-of-a-slur/

https://theswamp.media/stop-using-sn...e-as-an-insult

Now go back under your bridge.

^ You know the Grand Wizard ain't gonna read all of that because he think he can say these slurs without a comeback... that's why we have to push it harder at him that he can't say this mess. And I better not see the usual folks trying to back Boog either. He has no friends here.

Also if he's replying to me, tell him he's stupid because I got his hind parts on BLOCK.