[REMOVE ADS]

Forever came today - Question

Hi Folks,

I have some questions about the above mentioned track. We all know that on the single version Diana Ross and The Andantes sing on. I would like to know, who sing on the version of the Japan Greatest Hits, maybe it´s a mixture Mary and Marlene? We have The Supremes only on the Live version on the Ed Sullivan Show and they sang not the vocals "I got my love at last, my loneliness has past", maybe somebody knew if there exists a live version maybe in the faults were the group sang the vocals or maybe somebody is here, who heard the song live by the original group and noticed, if the group sang the vocals ?

Thank you very much for any information

the single version is slightly different than the more common lp version. on the single there are additional backing vocals but it's still the Andantes. If you listen to the 50th anniversary cd set of the girls, you have the single version

I'm not sure of the differences with the Japanese GH.

Mary and Cindy are singing on the pre-recorded track for the Sullivan appearance and are then lip syncing on the show. Supposedly because the background vocals are hard to make out on the 45, M and C just skipped the lyrics and did the ahhh's. Often the andantes would create the lyrics, harmonies and lines in the studios while recording. therefore the backing vocals and lyrics might not have been written down on paper to sing from.

Like "The Weight", FCT grew on me....Reflections remains one of my fav cuts, and I like the live version of In and Out of Love from the TOTT '68 live Lp...for me, that is the only single that sounds better speeded up a bit. I liked I'll Try Something New from the start...and thought WHY? would have been a better single from Together than The Weight.

There are two sets of background vocals. Both are Andantes.

The Japanese Quad Greatest Hits version is one set of vocals by the Andantes. The Andantes re-recorded their vocals a few weeks later and those vocals were used on the single and album versions.

Mary, Flo or Cindy never recorded studio vocals for this song. Mary & Cindy did have their vocals recorded for the live appearance on Ed Sullivan.

Thanks vey much for clarfing this fact, sadly M & C never recorded Studio vocals for the song. On the other hand it Shows us how talented the Andantes were, recording two sorts of backround vocals and Sound so different.

Great thank you to the experts :-)

Quote Originally Posted by bradsupremes View Post
    There are two sets of background vocals. Both are Andantes.

The Japanese Quad Greatest Hits version is one set of vocals by the Andantes. The Andantes re-recorded their vocals a few weeks later and those vocals were used on the single and album versions.

Mary, Flo or Cindy never recorded studio vocals for this song. Mary & Cindy did have their vocals recorded for the live appearance on Ed Sullivan.
    has the Japanese version ever been put out on cd? wonder if anyone has at least posted on youtube. didn't realize there was a different set of bv's

Quote Originally Posted by sup_fan View Post
    has the Japanese version ever been put out on cd? wonder if anyone has at least posted on youtube. didn't realize there was a different set of bv's
    I've checked over the years and haven't found it, but it's possible I've overlooked it. I had it on a cd of rare and unreleased cuts [[back in the day before everything finally got a release) but I don't know if I lost it or if it's in a box somewhere. Haven't heard it in years but I remember not liking it. I hope someone posts it so I can hear it with more mature ears.

Florence Ballard said that she recorded background vocals for "Forever Came Today".

Here is an old thread where this topic was discussed in 2013:

https://soulfuldetroit.com/showthrea...ut-Mary-Wilson

Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    Florence Ballard said that she recorded background vocals for "Forever Came Today".
    actually it was Tony Turner who said Flo said she recorded it. I'm not aware of any other biographical sources or articles that state that except for All That Glittered. And i wouldn't put much stock in the validity of Tony's stories

There are only a few dates that we have for recording session on this track. April 21, 67 [[guessing this might have been when they did the initial track) and that the song was completed on Jan 23, 68.

so it's possible she was around when parts of this song were recorded but listening to it, it doesn't sound at all to me like she's on it. or if she and mary recorded something for it, their background work wasn't used.

Quote Originally Posted by sup_fan View Post
    actually it was Tony Turner who said Flo said she recorded it. I'm not aware of any other biographical sources or articles that state that except for All That Glittered. And i wouldn't put much stock in the validity of Tony's stories

There are only a few dates that we have for recording session on this track. April 21, 67 [[guessing this might have been when they did the initial track) and that the song was completed on Jan 23, 68.

so it's possible she was around when parts of this song were recorded but listening to it, it doesn't sound at all to me like she's on it. or if she and mary recorded something for it, their background work wasn't used.
    I never liked that record. They did look good performing it on Ed Sullivan though.

The Japanese quad version was only available on that vinyl release. It hasn't been available anywhere else for the past 45 years. The background vocals aren't as clear and seem a bit reserved as compared to second set of vocals recorded a few weeks later. During the bridge, they sing "Ahh I got my love at last / My my my loneliness has passed / Ahh I got my love at last" and stop. They don't sing a second "My loneliness has passed" like they do on the single and album versions. I should also note the mix time on the Japanese quad version is 2:57. About 18 seconds shorter than the other mixes.

The second set of background vocals are used on the single as well as the mono and stereo albums. There is a difference in mixes though. The mono mix has the background vocals starting on the first verse with the "ooo's." The stereo mix has them muted on the first verse and coming in at the chorus. The "ooo's" are on the second verse after the bridge. The stereo mix times in at 3:15. The mono mix times in at 3:20.

There's no way Flo can be on this. The track was cut in Los Angeles on April 21, 1967 and at the time it was assigned to the Miracles. Diana didn't record her lead until December and the Andantes added their backgrounds on two different dates in January 1968 when the girls were on their European tour.

I really like this song. One of my favorites!

Quote Originally Posted by vgalindo View Post
    I really like this song. One of my favorites!
    I as well. It's great to have a 'hidden hit' or two to go back to, isn't it?

The Japanese quad version was only available on that vinyl release. It hasn't been available anywhere else for the past 45 years. The background vocals aren't as clear and seem a bit reserved as compared to second set of vocals recorded a few weeks later. During the bridge, they sing "Ahh I got my love at last / My my my loneliness has passed / Ahh I got my love at last" and stop. They don't sing a second "My loneliness has passed" like they do on the single and album versions. I should also note the mix time on the Japanese quad version is 2:57. About 18 seconds shorter than the other mixes.

The second set of background vocals are used on the single as well as the mono and stereo albums. There is a difference in mixes though. The mono mix has the background vocals starting on the first verse with the "ooo's." The stereo mix has them muted on the first verse and coming in at the chorus. The "ooo's" are on the second verse after the bridge. The stereo mix times in at 3:15. The mono mix times in at 3:20.

There's no way Flo can be on this. The track was cut in Los Angeles on April 21, 1967 and at the time it was assigned to the Miracles. Diana didn't record her lead until December and the Andantes added their backgrounds on two different dates in January 1968 when the girls were on their European tour.
    Fascinating, BradSups - I admire and always look forward to your knowledge.

Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    I never liked that record. They did look good performing it on Ed Sullivan though.
    Agreed! this song really doesn't do much for me. i think i would have enjoyed it alright enough as an album track but can't really understand how they decided this should be a single

and the girls looked FIERCE on Sullivan. i love the staging at the beginning. a group shot that slowly zooms into just diana. She's singing the intro and moving forward and when the music hits the first high just prior to the first chorus, she's timed it so she's now in line with M and C and they all STRUT forward in those sensational gowns! classic

Quote Originally Posted by PeaceNHarmony View Post
    Fascinating, BradSups - I admire and always look forward to your knowledge.
    Yes, I agree wholeheartedly.
    Brad, reading your explanation reminded me of the evolution of the Andantes background vocals on the Rita [[Syreeta) Wright demo of Love Child vs. the Diana Ross-led released version.

Your knowledge it´s really very amazing and fantastic ! I like this record very much, it was a highlight of the HDH producktions for me personally. -You wirte the song was assigned to The Miracles, maybe it was recorded by the group or something in the faults ? It would be interesting to hear Claudette and The Miracles as backround vocalists

....and antoher question, why the girls [[C&M) recorded their own vocals for the song only for Ed Sullivan and then they did lip syncing, they could did lip syncing to the vocals of The Andantes too ?

I have to find my japanese quad CD.i thought the vocals we're better on this version.been a while since I heard it but I always thought the song sounded like a demo.not my fav song by them.but it has grown on me

Quote Originally Posted by Fullfillingnessfirstfinale View Post
    ....and antoher question, why the girls [[C&M) recorded their own vocals for the song only for Ed Sullivan and then they did lip syncing, they could did lip syncing to the vocals of The Andantes too ?
    Usually what happened was that if the group wasn’t going to lip sync to the record, Ed Sullivan Show team had their orchestra and the group’s vocals recorded before the show. This made it easier than having them sing live. Sometimes Diana sang live. Other times she lip synced to the track.

The Andantes were never used on live TV shows.

liking the quad mix of FCT. the vocals seem more clear