[REMOVE ADS]

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
    Quote Originally Posted by jobeterob View Post
    George Solomon posted on Facebook that they have not given up on getting physical releases yet.
    Universal have been in talks with Ace[[uk) with a view to possibly getting the products out physically. I guess it could take months for anything to come to fruition. I'm not terribly optimistic but I sincerely hope I am wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by Bluebrock View Post
    Universal have been in talks with Ace[[uk) with a view to possibly getting the products out physically. I guess it could take months for anything to come to fruition. I'm not terribly optimistic but I sincerely hope I am wrong.
    "Remember Red, hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things, and no good thing ever dies."

That's an excellent way of dealing with it.

I saw part of the American Music Awards and it made me realize how old our crowd is.

If they want to maximize sales, they need to come up with methods of marketing a physical CD on all of these projects.

Adele's record-breaking sales over the past few days proves once and for all that cd's are NOT dead, contrary to what some people are trying to make us believe.

http://www.musicbusinessworldwide.co...les-us-market/

SupremeBoy Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by whitesoxx View Post
    Adele's record-breaking sales over the past few days proves once and for all that cd's are NOT dead, contrary to what some people are trying to make us believe.

http://www.musicbusinessworldwide.co...les-us-market/

You simply cannot compare potential sales of an album from a top tier artist versus catalog or vaulted material from artists that no longer have any real selling power in today's music market. Releases by labels like Hip-O Select cater to a niche market with a very limited audience. Producing physical CDs for these type of specialty releases usually do not result in the kind of sales that artists like Adele can generate.

Quote Originally Posted by jobeterob View Post
    Thanks Rob. I was waiting for the track listing.

I was thinking this was a made up story.. still no links for purchase..yet..

Adele's record-breaking sales over the past few days proves once and for all that cd's are NOT dead, contrary to what some people are trying to make us believe.[/URL]

And the CD section at Target, this past weekend, has been reduced to one aisle and 3 end caps from 3 aisles and 6 end caps. They now only carry new releases, greatest hits and a few other selections from various genres. But, you're right, you can buy CD's everywhere, they are not dying.
    Last edited by thommg; 11-25-2015 at 12:20 PM.

Barnes And Noble has added a huge aisle of brand new VINYL releases..

Quote Originally Posted by Jimi LaLumia View Post
    I was thinking this was a made up story.. still no links for purchase..yet..
    I agree with you, I have not even seen a pre-order for it. I guess we will have to wait and see on the 27th what actually pops up.

Andy Skirow has referred to it on Facebook

Quote Originally Posted by SupremeBoy View Post
    You simply cannot compare potential sales of an album from a top tier artist versus catalog or vaulted material from artists that no longer have any real selling power in today's music market. Releases by labels like Hip-O Select cater to a niche market with a very limited audience. Producing physical CDs for these type of specialty releases usually do not result in the kind of sales that artists like Adele can generate.
    Of course I realise a catalog cd by a veteran artist is not going to generate massive sales. However, I was just making a point that in this supposedly digital-only age, there is still a market for physical product.

Absolutely whitesoxx. Adele is a phenomenon. There are tons of babyboomers willing to spend money on cds.

Of course I realise a catalog cd by a veteran artist is not going to generate massive sales. However, I was just making a point that in this supposedly digital-only age, there is still a market for physical product.
    Yes indeed. I think that is especially the case in Europe and Japan but Adele has proven that the physical cd is far from extinct.

Bumping up the original thread for further discussion, as there seems to be three new topics now on the same subject, lol. We love our Miss Ross.

Loving the album! I've listened to it twice this morning. As someone else already pointed out, the ballads are especially gorgeous. I love hearing Miss Ross sing, "Ain't Nobody Bring Me No Bad News". One of the highlights for me. Also hearing her sing, "Mean Ol' Lion" and "So You Wanted to Meet the Wizard" is amazing. Both of her performances on these songs are amazing and hilarious.

Universal has no problem issuing an expanded CD edition of "The Beach Boys Party":

They have bankrolled an extensive Blue Note Vinyl campaign as well, 10" vinyl Lp repro's are kind of obscure.

So it is not "downloads only" for everybody...

Los Angeles – October 22, 2015 – In November 1965, The Beach Boys released Beach Boys’ Party!, a creative and well-loved album of covers mixed with separately recorded party sounds created by the band members, their families and friends. ‘Party!’ was a Top 10 Billboard hit, quickly going Gold and spawning the timeless No. 2 smash hit, “Barbara Ann.” To celebrate the popular album’s 50th anniversary, The Beach Boys have overseen a remixed, remastered and expanded edition, Beach Boys’ Party! Uncovered and Unplugged, which removes the overdubbed festivities from the 12-track original album’s mix and adds 69 more songs and dialog tracks culled from all of the band’s ‘Party!’ recording sessions. To be released worldwide on November 20 by Capitol/UMe, the 2CD and digital album also includes photos from the sessions, package essays by Beach Boys historians Alan Boyd and Craig Slowinski, and notes by the new edition’s producer, Mark Linett. A vinyl LP edition of the ‘Party!’ album’s original 12 tracks, remixed and remastered in the ‘Uncovered and Unplugged’ style, will follow on December 11.

Over the course of several long sessions at Western Recorders in Hollywood, California in August and September of 1965, The Beach Boys recorded what was, essentially, the first “unplugged” rock & roll album, with instrumentation limited to acoustic guitars, bass, bongos, harmonica and a tambourine. Joined in the studio by a few friends and collaborators, the band ran through many of their favorite songs of the time, including hits by The Beatles, The Rolling Stones, Bob Dylan and others, even spoofing two of their own biggest hits – “I Get Around” and “Little Deuce Coupe” -- with self-parodying renditions. The Beach Boys’ version of The Regents’ “Barbara-Ann” [[released by The Beach Boys minus the title’s original hyphen), included on the album, leapt up the Billboard singles chart and became one of the band’s signature songs, beloved by fans around the world.

“The ‘Party!’ album was a result of the pressure Capitol Records was putting on us for another album,” explained Beach Boys founding member Mike Love. “And we didn’t really have time to develop the type of album we wanted to develop, which Brian was working on, called Pet Sounds… So we said, ‘Well, what can we do quickly and easily?’ And we decided to do this party album.”

“Mike was saying, why not a party album and we can act like we are [at a party], and just be ourselves on tape, you know?” recalled Beach Boys founding member Brian Wilson. “And that’s what happened. It was a very spontaneous album.”

After the band wrapped recording sessions for the album’s songs -- plus many additional songs -- they returned to the studio with friends and family in tow, for a three-hour session to record party sounds and chatter to be mixed with the songs for the freewheeling Beach Boys’ Party! album. Removed from this new ‘Uncovered and Unplugged’ edition, the mixed-in party sounds remain intact on the original album, which was most recently remixed in stereo for reissue by Capitol in 2012.

Quote Originally Posted by calvin View Post
    For the most part, I think the points made above are valid. Those who don't want to buy it as a download shouldn't. Personally, I wouldn't buy something I don't want just to support Universal Music, they're not a charity and you can't expect them to return the favour by producing a title the fans want but on which they expect to lose money.

As for myself, I didn't like it when we were only offered lossy downloads in place of cds, but as long as we can buy lossless downloads [[which have the same sound quality as the cd), I'm ok with it. In fact, I'm almost indifferent - when I have a choice between a cd and a lossless download, I might buy the download if it's significantly cheaper than the cd [[though strangely, the lossless downloads are usually more expensive than the cds in such cases). In some cases there are still issues with downloads not being made available in the UK, which is unfortunate.

If "Funny Girl" were released tomorrow as a cd, I wouldn't buy it, as I already bought the lossless download. And I guess I'm not the only one who feels this way. So now that it's been out for a while as a download, and most people who wanted it have already purchased it, don't hold your breath for the cd.

No, it doesn't cost a lot to make a cd. The marginal cost of the first cd produced is substantial [[and probably higher at Universal than at Ace), but the marginal cost of each additional unit [[for example, the extra cost of producing 3001 instead of 3000 units) should be very small. But there are still other costs with cds that you don't have with downloads, such as storing the inventory, shipping to retailers, refunding damaged items and unsold units, etc.

Universal knows their sales figures and profits from the expanded edition cds, while we can only guess. I do know that some series were cancelled due to poor sales, for example the Smokey Robinson solo album series. [[I'm happy that they completed that series with downloads!) If Universal had been making decent profits through cd sales, they wouldn't have stopped. Apparently, in the judgement of the [[business) people making the decisions, they think that downloads are the better way to go.

At the same time, note that they seem to be experimenting with a new approach through PledgeMusic with the Motortown Revue in Paris Super Deluxe Edition. So perhaps the decision to go with downloads over cds for future releases is not final [[though it apparently is final for this particular release). So far, though, they only have about 300 pledges.

I'd still take a physical over download for artists I've enjoyed for a long time

I hope they do farm this out somewhere for a physical release and I hope they do that for others

Amazon Best Sellers # 2
    Go Diana !!!!!!

Send a link to that if you can

Amazon Best Sellers R&B [[forgot to mention the R&B part) now #3, down from #2
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/bestsellers...music_1_3_last

I wonder if Universal feels Motown has less value than the Beach Boys?

The download explains just how versatile Diana was.

in addition to amazon, the Ross/Wiz is still Top 20 on the itunes R&B album chart as well..with literally zero promotion except for on line fan postings and chatter

Guess that means Diana still has it.

SupremeBoy Guest
    Custom Art for Diana Ross Sings Songs From THE WIZ

Name:  drssftw.jpg
Views: 4004
Size:  98.8 KB

Quote Originally Posted by midnightman View Post
    Unfortunately, yes, I think they do value it less.

Quote Originally Posted by midnightman View Post
    It's probably as simple as the people making the decisions in relation to the Beach Boys are not the same people making the decisions about Motown rather than which artists work has enough value to merit a physical release...
    Last edited by Marcus; 11-29-2015 at 08:47 PM.

Still seems to be #3 on that R & B Chart!

Very nice, SupremeBoy!

RossHolloway Guest
    I downloaded the cd last night, and Erykah Badu quietly released a cd on the Motown label as well last week, so I had to download that as well last night. I've got a lot of listening to do!

They said vinyl was dead too. Streaming is cheap and it keeps your music in one box or another. 1000's of tracks in your phone or i pad or computer, Something happens to that box or if you don't back it up in another box , then you shit out of luck , period. Gotta buy em again . Change the medium and your files are obsolete. [[VHS ,CASSETTE ,BETA ) They eventually will make it hard for you to put music on CD. You will have to bury me with my Vinyl and the CD's I have too. They don't freeze or crash and I can pull them out when I want to enjoy them.

Vinyl is enjoying a massive comeback and I'm enjoying that

Diana Ross Sings The Songs From The Wiz is wonderful funky trip down the yellow brick road!Name:  Screen Shot 2015-12-05 at 5.29.33 PM.jpg
Views: 621
Size:  32.3 KB