[REMOVE ADS]

CELESTE [[Japan cds) - Thelma HOUSTON, HEART OF STONE, Cuba GOODING & Gary GLENN

CELESTE released about 100 cds in Japan only. 4 of them were Motown releases [[with the Motown logo appearing on the cd label for 3 of them, while there no mention of Motown on the fourth).

Fantastic mastering at that…
    Cd labels is very shiny and beautiful but is quite hard to scan.

CMYK-6154 [[2001) : THELMA HOUSTON - Sunshower [[1969)
    [[album later reissued remastered with bonus tracks by soulmusic.com [[2010) without any Motown logo)
    Name:  001212.jpg
Views: 515
Size:  83.5 KB
    Name:  001213.jpg
Views: 542
Size:  94.7 KB
    Name:  001214.jpg
Views: 505
Size:  73.6 KB

CMYK-6178 [[2002) : HEARTS OF STONE - Stop the World-We wanna get on… [[1970)
    Name:  001215.jpg
Views: 620
Size:  91.1 KB
    Name:  001216.jpg
Views: 533
Size:  84.4 KB
    Name:  001217.jpg
Views: 528
Size:  74.1 KB

CMYK-6177 [[2002) : CUBA GOODING - The 1st Cuba Gooding Album [[1978)
    Oddly released the same day as HEARTS OF STONE cd even though catalogue number is smaller, but features the new design of the spine of the back insert on Celeste cds.
    Name:  012066.jpg
Views: 629
Size:  90.5 KB
    Name:  001207.jpg
Views: 493
Size:  95.1 KB
    Name:  001208.jpg
Views: 445
Size:  74.2 KB

CMYK-6215 [[2004) : GARY GLENN - Feels Good to Feel Good [[1987)
    Previously available on cd as Motown MCDO6234MD in 1987 in Japan only [[as far as the cd edition is concerned).
    Name:  001209.jpg
Views: 580
Size:  83.1 KB
    Name:  001210.jpg
Views: 592
Size:  86.8 KB
    Name:  001211.jpg
Views: 487
Size:  75.2 KB

Oops… sorry for the upside down scans of the cd labels.
    My mistake…

Previously available on cd as Motown MCDO6234MD in 1987 in Japan only [[as far as the cd edition is concerned).
    I have the USA cd version
    Name:  R-1632311-1285405838.jpeg.jpg
Views: 394
Size:  51.3 KB

Thanks for that.
    I really appreciate the current exchanges here on SDF.
    I’m learning new things everyday, find more items to look for when it was harder and harder to get anything new in my cd collection, there are fun quizzes [[can we really say quizzes???), and great links's to vids I had never seen. Well, I have a great « family feeling » over here these days.

Back on topic, I forgot to say CUBA GOODING album was released as a 2fer a couple of years ago. It’s just not my cup of tea. Same goes for GARRY GLENN. I may have listened to the album once.

BUT Thelma’s SUNSHOWER must be her best album. I really really love that album.

I do remember when a track of it was released on MOTOWN CONOISSEURS Vol.2
    And the HEARTS OF STONE lp is one of the lost gems released on Motown.
    What do you think?

I had never considered buying the Thelma Houston or Hearts Of Stone albums before-I just never got into post-60s Motown. But your post is making me have 2nd thoughts. I think I will be expanding my Motown horizons a bit here.

Quote Originally Posted by WaitingWatchingLookingForAChance View Post
    I had never considered buying the Thelma Houston or Hearts Of Stone albums before-I just never got into post-60s Motown. But your post is making me have 2nd thoughts. I think I will be expanding my Motown horizons a bit here.
    I really would not consider Sunshower a Motown album, as a matter of fact it was originally released on ABC/Dunhill. Motown later bought the rights to it who then reissued it. The album was produced by the great Jimmy Webb and it is now consider a classic by a lot collectors. Jimmy especially wrote most of the songs with Thelma in mind. Freda Payne said numerous times that it's one of her all time favorite records. I have to agree with her, it is a must have for anyone who simply loves great music.

Thanks for posting these pics, some odd choices there really. The Hearts of Stone album has seen several CD releases [[will have to look which one I have) but seems odd why that should be. Certainly it is enjoyable but why release that several times but miss out The Originals "Naturally Together" for example.

I have the Cuba Gooding album on the Expansion 2fer. But that single CD looks inviting.

Thelma's "Sunshower" is a must and I would highly recommend it, especially the Soul Music Records CD. The combination of Jimmy Webb and Thelma is just sublime.

Of course the soulmusic.com edition of SUNSHOWER is the one to get. Bonus tracks, remastered and a great essay. The art is sharper on the Celeste cd though. But it’s whats in the groove that counts huh?
    Not really Motown but a fantastic album I have to agree.

HEARTS OF STONE is one to get imho. Do a search for HEARTS OF STONE MOTOWN on YouTube and you’ll find some tracks off it. Bare in mind the cd is in glorious stereo [[whereas the 45 mixes are of course mono)

As for the ORIGINALS, count me as part of the « ORIGINAL’s army ». We need a comprehensive set on them just like we got one on Jr Walker last year.

Quote Originally Posted by brother_love View Post
    I really would not consider Sunshower a Motown album, as a matter of fact it was originally released on ABC/Dunhill. Motown later bought the rights to it who then reissued it. The album was produced by the great Jimmy Webb and it is now consider a classic by a lot collectors. Jimmy especially wrote most of the songs with Thelma in mind. Freda Payne said numerous times that it's one of her all time favorite records. I have to agree with her, it is a must have for anyone who simply loves great music.
    Thanks for that info. I had always wondered if this was a Motown-recorded album ever since I saw the cover pictured on an 1980's inner album sleeve. It was when Motown was re-issuing its back catalogue. The record company logo was blacked out, and I wondered why. Still, the rave reviews from you and others has me sold. I'll buy a copy!

Quote Originally Posted by mysterysinger View Post
    Thanks for posting these pics, some odd choices there really. The Hearts of Stone album has seen several CD releases [[will have to look which one I have) but seems odd why that should be. Certainly it is enjoyable but why release that several times but miss out The Originals "Naturally Together" for example.

I have the Cuba Gooding album on the Expansion 2fer. But that single CD looks inviting.

Thelma's "Sunshower" is a must and I would highly recommend it, especially the Soul Music Records CD. The combination of Jimmy Webb and Thelma is just sublime.
    I will make sure to find this particular release of this CD. By the way, your work on providing scans and such detailed information on Motown CDs is mind-blowing. I really appreciate the time you take to post all of that here.

Quote Originally Posted by jbpintus View Post
    Of course the soulmusic.com edition of SUNSHOWER is the one to get. Bonus tracks, remastered and a great essay. The art is sharper on the Celeste cd though. But it’s whats in the groove that counts huh?
    Not really Motown but a fantastic album I have to agree.

HEARTS OF STONE is one to get imho. Do a search for HEARTS OF STONE MOTOWN on YouTube and you’ll find some tracks off it. Bare in mind the cd is in glorious stereo [[whereas the 45 mixes are of course mono)

As for the ORIGINALS, count me as part of the « ORIGINAL’s army ». We need a comprehensive set on them just like we got one on Jr Walker last year.
    The Originals are one of the great overlooked/underrated groups of Motown. I have a feeling one day something big will happen on them. Blinky finally has had a wonderful release and maybe The Originals' time is coming.