[REMOVE ADS]

Martha And The Vandellas Watchout! Tell Me I'll Never Be Alone [[mono)

I have always liked this song but the mono versions packs an extra punch, plus that beautiful extended fade, just fantastic! I'm surprised it didn't make it to at least a B side.

Love it too; agree all around -

Quote Originally Posted by CoolKatz View Post

I have always liked this song but the mono versions packs an extra punch, plus that beautiful extended fade, just fantastic! I'm surprised it didn't make it to at least a B side.
    Yeah, that's a nice one. The entire Watchout album is great. Martha and the Vandellas' albums always contained some great stuff, but as a package usually leaves me with a "meh" feeling. But Dance Party was a great concept, Watchout was fantastic from start to finish, and so was Black Magic. Watchout should have been a big hit album.

Quote Originally Posted by RanRan79 View Post
    But Dance Party was a great concept, Watchout was fantastic from start to finish, and so was Black Magic. Watchout should have been a big hit album.
    I would say that Black Magic is one of my favorite Motown albums, not just Martha & The Vandellas. Watchout was also a great album, but doesn't quite equal Black Magic in my eyes.

Quote Originally Posted by thommg View Post
    I would say that Black Magic is one of my favorite Motown albums, not just Martha & The Vandellas. Watchout was also a great album, but doesn't quite equal Black Magic in my eyes.
    I'm just the opposite in my favorite MR&V album. For me, "Watchout" bests "Black Magic" by a hair, in both music and cover design.

I rate "Watchout" as my favorite Motown album and album cover just behind "Where Did Our Love Go" [[my very first Motown album).

I think I bought "Watchout" because of the cover. At the time, I liked "I'm Ready For Love" but didn't love it [[now I do), but that cover just said "buy me". I'm so glad I did.

A couple of the songs on "Black Magic" don't stand the test of time for me like the classic songs, from Motown's classic era, on "Watchout".

my fave Martha & the Vandellas LP is "Dance Party" followed closely by LIVE. I did not like the cover of Dance Party. I like Watchout and the cover. I love the cover of Sugar N Spice & thought the LP was pretty good too.

Never listened to this track before. It's lovely.

Where have you guys been all my life???????? I have tried at least three times over the years to generate excitement about this incredible song and I could never even raise a whisper of support! Thanks for sharing..........those were the days..........

As for the debate over which album was better, I guess I would have to go with Black Magic, but it would be close.

I´m a little dissapointed about the comments, so we talk about a real Martha Reeves and The Vandellas album, isn´t it ? For me in voice of the group there is no question it´s "Heatwave", but when you see the production, I would prefer "Watchout"

I always liked this song. I think it certainly had single potential. This is my first time hearing the mono mix and I have to say I like it better than the stereo mix. This song is one of those instances where both the Vandellas and Andantes did background vocals. I particularly like the ending right as the song fades out where the Andantes join the Vandellas and do that gorgeous three part harmony.

Quote Originally Posted by daviddesper View Post
    Where have you guys been all my life???????? I have tried at least three times over the years to generate excitement about this incredible song and I could never even raise a whisper of support!
    Do you think it's a coincidence this video appeared shortly after one of your last attempts to talk about this song?
    Last edited by WaitingWatchingLookingForAChance; 12-04-2018 at 03:55 AM.

I've always loved "Tell Me I'll Never Be Alone" but this is the first time I've heard the mono mix of the song. Dance Party is my favorite Martha & the Vandellas LP but Watchout! is a close second [[and it's a "landmark" album for the group since it is the last one they recorded while H-D-H was still with Motown). I would love to see a 'deluxe edition' of Watchout! with both the mono & stereo mixes [[and bonus tracks).

Quote Originally Posted by thommg View Post
    I'd rate Black Magic higher than Watchout, but they are both my two favorite Martha and the Vandellas albums. And I'm with you on Black Magic. It would be on my list of absolute favorite Motown albums ever.

Quote Originally Posted by motony View Post
    I did not like the cover of Dance Party.
    Which is the original cover? The one with the horrible drawing of people "dancing", or the one with the group on Sounds of Motown? I think the one of the drawing is horrendous and second rate for a group of Martha and the Vandellas stature at that point. And the one with them on Sounds of Motown would be fine except the shot has what is clearly the Supremes name behind the girls and that's just wrong. Not that I think it was done on purpose or anything like that, but it's just not a good look. A Dance Party photo session should have been created for this.

The original "Dance Party" LP US release was the drawing of people "dancing" .

Quote Originally Posted by motony View Post
    The original "Dance Party" LP US release was the drawing of people "dancing" .
    Thanks. The group deserved a much better cover than that crap.

[QUOTE=RanRan79;491575] And the one with them on Sounds of Motown would be fine except the shot has what is clearly the Supremes name behind the girls and that's just wrong.

RanRan, I love that cover it's beautiful !

I didn't notice the Supremes name but for me it's no big deal.

I like the Tamla-Motown cover better too. I always prefer good, clear photos of the artists on the LP covers.