[REMOVE ADS]

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast
    i like Thank You but am not blown away. her vocals sound great and totally happy with that. the production is better than I Love You but not much IMO. it still sounds rather karaoke-ish to my ear.

also the song builds nicely at the very beginning but then stops. I'm not saying it needed to repeat the hysterics of One More Chance from back in the Masser days. but i feel like the song never goes anywhere.

i've only listened to it a time or two so i'll need to spend a bit more time with it. but those are my initial thoughts

Quote Originally Posted by reese View Post
    This morning on the Today Show, Diana's new release was one of the headlines opening the second hour. Later, Carson Daly played a bit of the video during his PopStart segment.

It is really nice to see the attention this release is getting.
    Thanks. I'm glad I multi-task. I record TODAY and watch it delayed. I was about to delete it after watching the first hour, but read your post and kept watching. Thanks. The piece was short but nice

Quote Originally Posted by sup_fan View Post
    i like Thank You but am not blown away. her vocals sound great and totally happy with that. the production is better than I Love You but not much IMO. it still sounds rather karaoke-ish to my ear.

also the song builds nicely at the very beginning but then stops. I'm not saying it needed to repeat the hysterics of One More Chance from back in the Masser days. but i feel like the song never goes anywhere.

i've only listened to it a time or two so i'll need to spend a bit more time with it. but those are my initial thoughts
    I completely agree with this assessment. The song is pleasant but to me definitely lacks excitement.

The only thing I disagree with you about, is that I love the song “one more chance“! Anything Diane recorded with Michael Masser to me is amongst her best recorded output.

Quote Originally Posted by jack020 View Post
    what does she say at 3:22---- thank you _____?
    Last edited by Boogiedown; 06-18-2021 at 10:45 AM.

She is number 14 on iTunes pop charts atm! The public loves her.

Quote Originally Posted by kenneth View Post
    I completely agree with this assessment. The song is pleasant but to me definitely lacks excitement.

The only thing I disagree with you about, is that I love the song “one more chance“! Anything Diane recorded with Michael Masser to me is amongst her best recorded output.
    lol i don't hate One More but i find the ending a bit too aggressive. her growls and grunts are not really an asset to the recording. had those been toned down, it would have been much better IMO

Quote Originally Posted by Roberta75 View Post
    My neophew sent me the club mix. I LOVE it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tMi4ukTsWvg
    Now this I love. If I still danced I would dance to this!

Here is a list of all of the different exclusive versions for the new album, with links to where you can pre-order in each country. The standard black vinyl and CD can be pre-ordered from most retailers and music stores.

Diana Ross Official Store by Universal [[UK based): Currently available for pre-order - Exclusive online-only 2 LP pink vinyl, standard CD, exclusive online-only pink cassette, standard 2 LP black vinyl [[note: if you have issues with accessing this link on your phone, try from a PC/laptop or try the second link for Decca's store)

https://store.universalmusic.com/dianaross/

https://shop.decca.com/search.html?term=diana+ross

Verve Store/Universal [[US based): Currently available for pre-order - Exclusive online-only 2 LP pink vinyl, standard CD, standard 2 LP black vinyl. This store is not currently selling the pink cassette.

https://shop.ververecords.com/collections/diana-ross

Music Vaultz/Universal [[Canadian based): Currently available for pre-order - Exclusive online-only 2 LP pink vinyl ONLY [[For 15% off, use promo code "VAULTZVIP" at check-out)

https://shop.musicvaultz.com/*/*/Tha...nk/70SL0000000

Amazon Exclusive CD with outer cardboard slip-case featuring alternate artwork:

Amazon USA - exclusive CD :
    https://www.amazon.com/dp/B096TTSDTZ...4023132&sr=8-6

Amazon UK - exclusive CD :

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Thank-You-A...4023119&sr=8-3

Amazon Canada - exclusive CD:
    https://www.amazon.ca/Thank-You-Alte...4023108&sr=8-2

Japanese CD release [[SHM CD) - No news thus far on whether the Japanese version will have any bonus tracks:

https://www.cdjapan.co.jp/product/UC...d660cca13f87f4

Quote Originally Posted by copley View Post
    Now this I love. If I still danced I would dance to this!
    You can still dance copley. ive not been in a club un years but I dance to The Boss darned near once a week around my apartment. LOL

This movie needs some editing:
    Shorten some scenes.
    More close-ups.
    Brighten the movie.
    Eliminate the subway scene with monster columns and stadium chase scene.
    This movie needed more comedic scenes.
    Notables:

Diana Ross was playing a schoolteacher.
    She was the right age for the part.
    Great supporting cast.
    Diana's Vocals are fantastic!
    Note:
    People who say she was too old to play the part may be the ones who say, by the time you are middle-aged, you should have it all together. Some people beyond 60, still don't have it together.

Long remixes of this uplifting song should be great.

Quote Originally Posted by TNSUN View Post
    This movie needs some editing:
    Shorten some scenes.
    More close-ups.
    Brighten the movie.
    Eliminate the subway scene with monster columns and stadium chase scene.
    This movie needed more comedic scenes.
    Notables:

Diana Ross was playing a schoolteacher.
    She was the right age for the part.
    Great supporting cast.
    Diana's Vocals are fantastic!
    Note:
    People who say she was too old to play the part may be the ones who say, by the time you are middle-aged, you should have it all together. Some people beyond 60, still don't have it together.
    i don't think the concept of Diana's character finding herself was a bad idea in and of itself. many movies are based on a character growing in new and surprising ways.

the problem is Diana never really grows through the movie. her motivations are never really examined, her experiences in Oz don't really assist in her growth. she just runs into man-eating subway trashcans and Time Square sluts that put her to sleep. At the end of the she basically pronounces what everyone learned and did. at least in the original Oz each character sort of followed through own arc.

i think the problem was trying to shoe-horn this totally different story of believing in yourself and all into Frank Baum's story of Dorothy in Oz. that's the disconnect.

A posting on Facebook says this is #1 on the Itunes UK single chart.

Very happy with the rollout of her new project. The promotion is strong. There is a huge advertisement in Times Square. Spotify is promoting as well as all media outlets. However, these days, promotion won’t mean anything if fans don’t stream this song. The video has gotten 322K views. That is incredible considering it was only released yesterday. I like the new song very much. Can’t wait to hear the whole album. I think we are in for a treat.

Quote Originally Posted by Boogiedown View Post
    what does she say at 3:22---- thank you _____?
    to answer my own question , I think she's saying, "thank-you Black" [as in Berry Gordy]

Quote Originally Posted by khansperac View Post
    Very happy with the rollout of her new project. The promotion is strong. There is a huge advertisement in Times Square. Spotify is promoting as well as all media outlets. However, these days, promotion won’t mean anything if fans don’t stream this song. The video has gotten 322K views. That is incredible considering it was only released yesterday. I like the new song very much. Can’t wait to hear the whole album. I think we are in for a treat.
    This really is terrific news. Does anyone know if she has any interviews lined up?.

Quote Originally Posted by jobeterob View Post
    A posting on Facebook says this is #1 on the Itunes UK single chart.
    They're exaggerating - it reached a peak of #14 and has since subsided to #26.

Great to see the positive publicity Diana is getting for Thank You but in the current climate and methodology of the chart compilation it is unlikely to make a chart appearance - at least in the UK.

iTune sales in the UK now are pretty low - it's mostly Streaming now for singles.

Quote Originally Posted by Ollie9 View Post
    This really is terrific news. Does anyone know if she has any interviews lined up?.
    Lots of press and tv being lined up, but most of it will be timed around the release of the album. I was originally told the album was due to drop around July 4th, but the major sites are slating it for release in September.
    She does want to come to the UK to promote it in person, but i suspect it is more likely to be via zoom. I honestly don't think she will leave the States this year, but i am told it is not out of the question.

Quote Originally Posted by florence View Post
    They're exaggerating - it reached a peak of #14 and has since subsided to #26.

Great to see the positive publicity Diana is getting for Thank You but in the current climate and methodology of the chart compilation it is unlikely to make a chart appearance - at least in the UK.

iTune sales in the UK now are pretty low - it's mostly Streaming now for singles.
    Streaming in the US is also the main source of listening to music. And there is no money in it for the artist. Thankfully, Diana will have her album released in physical format too in every configuration - except maybe 8 track. And some of them collectable type editions that fans will buy at a premium.

There is a thread in the main forum of SD about how streaming is ripping off the artists
    Streaming Just Aint Working For The Artists. No Money For Them

https://soulfuldetroit.com/showthrea...money-for-them

Popular vocal coach reacts to Diana Ross Thank You!! Very cool.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mAkFsqXYREk

Thank you very much Carlo for the list. I have ordered everything on it expect the SHM CD. I´ll probably just get that closer to release date and when more info is available about it.

I hope we will get some other international/exclusive versions of the album, especially if they will include any bonus tracks.

Quote Originally Posted by milven View Post
    Streaming in the US is also the main source of listening to music. And there is no money in it for the artist. Thankfully, Diana will have her album released in physical format too in every configuration - except maybe 8 track. And some of them collectable type editions that fans will buy at a premium.

There is a thread in the main forum of SD about how streaming is ripping off the artists
    Streaming Just Aint Working For The Artists. No Money For Them

https://soulfuldetroit.com/showthrea...money-for-them
    I hate streaming. It's such a shallow, empty, soulless experience, and the artists are being ripped off.
    If you wish to help the artist buy the physical product if it is available. That is especially important for the artists whose record sales were modest back in the day. The likes of Diana Ross do not need the money, but many of the other veteran artists do. I know one exceptionally talented male vocalist who enjoyed reasonable success back in the day, but now he is struggling badly. He has been unable to perform live due to covid 19, and the guy barely has a dime to his name. It is so sad.
    There is another performer now deceased who also struggled financially in the months prior to their passing. These artists relied on the live work to give them a reasonable standard of living. Without that some of the performers we love and admire are pretty much on the breadline. It really is pitifully sad.

Quote Originally Posted by Bluebrock View Post
    I hate streaming. It's such a shallow, empty, soulless experience, and the artists are being ripped off.
    If you wish to help the artist buy the physical product if it is available. That is especially important for the artists whose record sales were modest back in the day. The likes of Diana Ross do not need the money, but many of the other veteran artists do. I know one exceptionally talented male vocalist who enjoyed reasonable success back in the day, but now he is struggling badly. He has been unable to perform live due to covid 19, and the guy barely has a dime to his name. It is so sad.
    There is another performer now deceased who also struggled financially in the months prior to their passing. These artists relied on the live work to give them a reasonable standard of living. Without that some of the performers we love and admire are pretty much on the breadline. It really is pitifully sad.
    I agree that artists need to be paid from platforms playing their music. This is criminal that other companies can make money from playing their music but none of that revenue reaches the actual artists. How does that happen?
    I will say that I absolutely LOVE my streaming service. It allows me to listen to music that I may never have gotten the chance to listen to. I've discovered artists and music that I never knew existed. Music that never gets played on radio or on television. Or music that has been lost to time. I remember last summer listening to all of David Ruffin's albums that he released. Albums that I've never run across in record stores when I use to buy and collect old albums. My streaming service allowed me to do that. I also listen to a lot of jazz and it's right at my finger tips and it is truly awesome. It's almost like having the keys to the world's largest music store.

Quote Originally Posted by Boogiedown View Post
    to answer my own question , I think she's saying, "thank-you Black" [as in Berry Gordy]
    Funny how different people hear different things. To my ears, it sounds like she said, "Thank you love".

Quote Originally Posted by djessie View Post
    Thank you very much Carlo for the list.
    You're welcome

I was unable to make out a word in the song till I read the lyrics. The word is "healing". Looking forward to some long remixes. The song has a summery bounce!

Thank You has gone straight on to the "A"-playlist at Radio 2 the most listened to Station in the UK!

Quote Originally Posted by florence View Post
    Thank You has gone straight on to the "A"-playlist at Radio 2 the most listened to Station in the UK!
    Many thanks for the info Florence. The song has created a much bigger splash then i would have dared to hope for. Wonderful news.
    P.S...Is DJ and huge Diana supporter Tony Blackburn still on the air?.

Many thanks for the info Florence. The song has created a much bigger splash then i would have dared to hope for. Wonderful news.
    P.S...Is DJ and huge Diana supporter Tony Blackburn still on the air?.
    He has an early morning show on Saturdays. It is basically a sounds of the 60's show, but yesterday he played Thank you on the show! It should be available to listen to on i player. What a guy!

I thought she was singing Thank You go or That.
    Not sure.
    Glad it's doing well for her.

Its okay. I'm not really into the autotune sound they have going on nowadays. Its good but not good enough to bring her back to relevance in my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by carlo View Post
    Funny how different people hear different things. To my ears, it sounds like she said, "Thank you love".
    Thanks for giving it a go carlo. She could well be saying 'love', that was one of my possibilities too. There's a 'b' sound to it that I thought at first Diana was saying thank you Bob [who in the hell is Bob? lol!] I also think she might be saying 'thank you all' or 'thank you boy' This cut and paste style of 'performing' a song hinders clarity, enunciation.

I'd like to think she is saying 'thank you Black' , but maybe I'm trying too hard to elevate this song into having more bite in it than it does .
    Last edited by Boogiedown; 06-20-2021 at 11:30 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by floyjoy678 View Post
    Its okay. I'm not really into the autotune sound they have going on nowadays. Its good but not good enough to bring her back to relevance in my opinion.
    It is as good as one could reasonably expect in the current musical climate. I am just grateful for anything that will ensure the abysmal " i love you" will not turn out to be her musical swansong.
    It is not her finest hour i agree, but it is thankfully by no means the best track on the forthcoming album.

The interesting thing is that they actually hardly used autotune [[or perhaps I misunderstand what you mean with autotune sound) on this song. They could have easily smoothed notes out, corrected some of the pitches, but clearly they didn't. I like that the song clearly shows how the voice of a 77-year-old singer sounds like [[although I would not have mind if they had left those spoken "thank you's" in the background). And what I like about the song is that it actually SHOWS Ross's relevance -- it is not trying to turn Ross into Beyoncé or whoever, but it literarily celebrates the fact that a 77-year-old legend still can release music... that's relevance for me enough.

As we wait for this magnificent album to drop one of the songs that sounds quite interesting is
    "If the World Just Danced"
    "If the World Just Danced"
    If the World just danced With any luck this will be a wonderful Dance track

Quote Originally Posted by Jaap View Post
    The interesting thing is that they actually hardly used autotune [[or perhaps I misunderstand what you mean with autotune sound) on this song. They could have easily smoothed notes out, corrected some of the pitches, but clearly they didn't. I like that the song clearly shows how the voice of a 77-year-old singer sounds like [[although I would not have mind if they had left those spoken "thank you's" in the background). And what I like about the song is that it actually SHOWS Ross's relevance -- it is not trying to turn Ross into Beyoncé or whoever, but it literarily celebrates the fact that a 77-year-old legend still can release music... that's relevance for me enough.
    I agree. No one, I think the lady included, is expecting that she will storm the Hot 100 with it and reach number 1 at 77 years old. No other woman has done it.Streisand, Cher, Bette, Dionne, etc did not hit the Hot 100 with songs from any of their last albums. Aretha did with her, in my opinion, awful cover of Rolling in the Deep.

I just hope the promotion is kept steady and consistent up until, through and after the album is released. Hoping for official remixes of Thank You as well.
    Last edited by Deepdishus2001; 06-20-2021 at 05:37 PM.

Something ... interesting. I've been listening during my Doordash part-time job to a National Review podcast about the recording career of Neil Young, who has a career timeline roughly equaling that of Diana Ross. Less-than-great lps are acknowledged but not obsessed over. Why, I wonder non-rhetorically, are Diana Ross fans unable to move on from lps they did not care for?

Quote Originally Posted by PeaceNHarmony View Post
    Something ... interesting. I've been listening during my Doordash part-time job to a National Review podcast about the recording career of Neil Young, who has a career timeline roughly equaling that of Diana Ross. Less-than-great lps are acknowledged but not obsessed over. Why, I wonder non-rhetorically, are Diana Ross fans unable to move on from lps they did not care for?
    I am guilty as charged regarding that one.
    I will tell anyone who will listen just how disappointed i was in Everything is Everything, Last Time i saw him, Why do Fools, Silk Electric, Workin;Overtime, and I love you. I am every bit as eager to discuss those turkeys as i am discussing Diana Ross70, Surrender, Touch me in the Morning, The Boss, Baby it's Me, Force behind the power and Take me Higher.
    I have "moved on' as you describe it, but i am always ready to go back and debate the lowlights of her career as well as the many highlights.

I will tell anyone who will listen just how disappointed i was in Everything is Everything, Last Time i saw him, Why do Fools, Silk Electric, Workin;Overtime, and I love you. I am every bit as eager to discuss those turkeys as i am discussing Diana Ross70, Surrender, Touch me in the Morning, The Boss, Baby it's Me, Force behind the power and Take me Higher.
    I have "moved on' as you describe it, but i am always ready to go back and debate the lowlights of her career as well as the many highlights.
    Very well stated Mr B. I believe the majority of fans on this forum to be sorted, balanced people who enjoy discussing the highs and sometimes lows of such an amazing career. Problems only arise when the very few who are unable to cope with such candid conversation start labelling other fans trolls or haters.
    Most of this rather childish behaviour seems to have been eradicated, but can on occasion still be witnessed........Alas.

Very well stated Mr B. I believe the majority of fans on this forum to be sorted, balanced people who enjoy discussing the highs and sometimes lows of such an amazing career. Problems only arise when the very few who are unable to cope with such candid conversation start labelling other fans trolls or haters.
    Most of this rather childish behaviour seems to have been eradicated, but can on occasion still be witnessed........Alas.
    It's fine for the majority of the time these days Ollie. I find very little to annoy or upset me these days.
    Most members can identify that one members meat can be another members poison. It's great how we all hear things differently for example the Workin' Overtime project which i know you love and i hate, but i love to hear the reasons why you love it so much. It has even made me go back to the album in the hope i can hear something good i may have missed on previous listens. I always come away disappointed, but for some reason i do like to regularly re assess these much criticised projects just to confirm that i do indeed still dislike them. I like to take the good with the bad.

For some reason, I was totally prepared not to like "Thank you". Perhaps based on some of the feedback from this forum? After giving it a few listens, I don't know. I REALLY like this. I find myself walking around randomly saying "Thank you so much!" I think it's quirky and catchy. And fun! Some have said the quality is subpar; almost karaoke. Some have talked about auto tune. I guess I'm some how able to look past all of that. It's not going to ever be "Mahogany" or "Touch Me". But Diana of 75 is a lot different than Diana of 25. Just glad to have something new and fresh from the Lady.

I think this conclusion of the review by the Belgian site Dansende Beren [[Dancing Bears) really sums up well how I feel about this new song:

<< Despite not being a real disco song like some of her old hits, the pop song definitely still has something of disco about it and so Miss Ross still puts a smile on our faces after all these years. Is "Thank You" a super mega awesome song that will go down in the history books as one of Diana Ross' best songs? Perhaps not, but it is a very nice song that makes you happy and sometimes that is enough. >>

Original [[in Dutch) here:
    https://www.dansendeberen.be/2021/06...oss-thank-you/

Quote Originally Posted by Jaap View Post
    I think this conclusion of the review by the Belgian site Dansende Beren [[Dancing Bears) really sums up well how I feel about this new song:

<< Despite not being a real disco song like some of her old hits, the pop song definitely still has something of disco about it and so Miss Ross still puts a smile on our faces after all these years. Is "Thank You" a super mega awesome song that will go down in the history books as one of Diana Ross' best songs? Perhaps not, but it is a very nice song that makes you happy and sometimes that is enough. >>

Original [[in Dutch) here:
    https://www.dansendeberen.be/2021/06...oss-thank-you/

I think this hits the nail right on the head - I quite lie it and it's a nice song but wouldn't be at the top of many's favourite Diana tracks.

Bodes well for the album though if Bluebrock thinks there are a number of better songs on it.

Slowly dropping down the UK iTunes chart [[now at #40) after peaking at #14.

So maybe my knowledge of the Rock and the Roll isn't as great as my knowledge of jazz, but can someone please point me to the star who has a super-major-mega hit at the age of 77? Who became relevant again over the age of 70? Cher? I think some of us are being a *tad* harsh or have a *tad* unrealistic expectation.

Those are lots of disliked cds, Mr. Blue . I believe the only cd I probably do not care for as a whole are Swept Away and Last Time I Saw Him. I'm on ebay now trying to get a Last Time I Saw Him Expanded edition cd and now it's at 40 bucks, so I'm bowing out!

Well argued, Mr. B! Yet, I can't help but thinking of something I once heard somewhere that went something like 'Let he who be without shins cast the first bone'. Or something. I'm glad our Miss Ross has such a reliable and stoic champion to accompany her perambulations and, should UK concerts come to fruition we'll all be wishing you well as always!

Quote Originally Posted by JLoveLamar View Post
    Those are lots of disliked cds, Mr. Blue . I believe the only cd I probably do not care for as a whole are Swept Away and Last Time I Saw Him. I'm on ebay now trying to get a Last Time I Saw Him Expanded edition cd and now it's at 40 bucks, so I'm bowing out!
    I bought the expanded edition of ltish when it was released. Whilst i would stop short at saying it was good, i did find some of the outtakes better than some of the released album, and i know others on here felt the same way. I wouldn't feel too bad about not picking it up. It sure as hell ain't worth 40 bucks of anyones money.

Quote Originally Posted by PeaceNHarmony View Post
    Well argued, Mr. B! Yet, I can't help but thinking of something I once heard somewhere that went something like 'Let he who be without shins cast the first bone'. Or something. I'm glad our Miss Ross has such a reliable and stoic champion to accompany her perambulations and, should UK concerts come to fruition we'll all be wishing you well as always!
    Thank you so much. A lot may yet happen and nothing has been confirmed as to whether the shows will go ahead or if i will be joining the party.
    I took the sensible step of taking out insurance for both last years and this years cancelled shows. Therefore i was paid in full for doing basically nothing, but the figures i have been quoted to cover next years shows are quite frankly mindblowing and totally unreasonable. It's pretty much 50/50 whether i join in the fun and frollicks at this stage,but your gift to Ms Ross remains safely stored in my loft, and will be presented to her when i am able to do so.

Yeah, makes no sense to me. I'm a fan. I like to discuss it all when it comes to the music, the stuff I love and the stuff I hate. If that makes us trolls, then I sing, in a remixed version of the Floaters' "Float On", "Troll on, troll on, troll on...Troll, troll, troll on..."