[REMOVE ADS]

Coppelia-Birdsong Guest

Why is Tammi Terrell's All I Do is Think About You so hard to find?

Honestly this song is astonishing, and it's criminal that not only was it not considered for even a b side, but was actually left out of Tammi's album as well. The indignity this gem of a song suffers carries on today: for example it's left out of the Essential Tammi Terrell CD, I had to buy the complete solo recordings to get my grabby little paws on it. Not that I'm complaining, but a song this good has no business being this obscure, even amongst Tammi's lesser known solos.

Tammi and the lyrics are just simple sublime, as well as the ba ba ba DUHN DUHNs that frequent the background melodies.

You are right. This is an excellent song by her. It is my favorite version, followed by Stevie Wonder, then Brenda Holloway, and one of my favorite solo efforts by her. Too bad it was not released as a single. In my opinion it would have been the song to distinguish her as a solo artist, instead of being mainly known as part of the Marvin/Tammi duo.

Arguably the best track released from the Motown vaults in the last 20 years.

It's a long way off being my favourite Tammi Terrell track - below average for me.

However, you could have got the track on "A Cellarful Of Motown" [[volume 1) which is where it was first released. Goes for less than a fiver these days.

Coppelia-Birdsong Guest
    I just thought Tammi looked so goddam cute on the solo recordings cover that I got it: I love to collect cds with interesting cases for my kulleckshun.

Not to mention 49 other brilliant tracks.

Think Stevie controls ownership of that song?

Quote Originally Posted by midnightman View Post
    Think Stevie controls ownership of that song?
    No it's a Jobete song if I recall correctly. He covered it on his Hotter Than July lp with a disco beat. Two years later the Tops included it on their first Casablanca lp. Brenda Holloway also did it, but to me Tammi Terrell owns that song. This could have been a monster hit

Isn't it true Tammi's vocal was erased or dubbed over by Brenda's vocal? The mono mix is the only surviving mix of the song. It's a shame we'll never get to hear a stereo mix.

Quote Originally Posted by snakepit View Post
    Arguably the best track released from the Motown vaults in the last 20 years.
    Got to agree. I've said in the forum before Clarence Paul must have been gutted to see this gem rejected and consigned to the vaults. It's his masterpiece, and sadly he was not around to learn it had been released.

Is there a Stevie version from the 60s?
    Similarly, did Stevie cut a version of JALM?
    If not, he missed out on two gems from Clarence Paul.

Was Tammi's song seen as a demo?

I don't think that it was considered a demo. There's nothing on DFTMC or anywhere else to suggest that it was. Sometimes Motown were just plain stupid!

Admittedly, the first time I listened to this song, my reaction was "Meh." After I decided to listen to it again, I REALLY started to like it. Tammi's vocals, the background vocals and the arrangement are all really fantastic.
    Last edited by lockhartgary; 06-15-2018 at 02:35 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by copley View Post
    I don't think that it was considered a demo. There's nothing on DFTMC or anywhere else to suggest that it was. Sometimes Motown were just plain stupid!
    Marvin Gaye is somewhere going:

Quote Originally Posted by lockhartgary View Post
    Admittedly, the first time I listened to this song, my reaction was "Meh." After I decided to listen to it again, I REALLY starting to like it. Tammi's vocals, the background vocals and the arrangement are all really fantastic.
    It was probably ahead of its time.