[REMOVE ADS]

50+ Mix - MARTHA & THE VANDELLAS - WILD ONE [[RARE CLIP 1966) YouTube 2:36 Wild On

Thank you for posting. I never saw this one before.

From '66?

Wonder why they were singing old songs? Lol

Well it wasn't old-old, but you know lol

Nice clip though!

I'm guessing the clip comes from Where The Action Is, and I'm also guessing they did more than one number, since most of the acts appearing on that show did a couple or three. Perhaps they performed a newer one as well.

^ Ah! I see...

But yeah it's from Where The Action Is. Motown was on it a lot, I see!

Quote Originally Posted by BigAl View Post
    I'm guessing the clip comes from Where The Action Is, and I'm also guessing they did more than one number, since most of the acts appearing on that show did a couple or three. Perhaps they performed a newer one as well.
    I saw a clip of them doing HEAT WAVE from this episode as well.

"Wild One" was my introduction to Martha & Vandellas. I recall so vividly listening to this on a friend's small suitcase like record player. This production, in all of its awesomeness, exemplifies the electrifying sound of Motown at the time.

wow, Wow, WOW! Many thanks for sharing this!

Wild one is my favorite from the sweet vandellas.

Yeah, I love it, too! I thought "Wild One" was a perfect follow-up to "Dancing In The Street", and a perfect precedent to "Nowhere To Run". Motown was on a roll! I ran out and bought "Wild One" for my 14th birthday as soon as I heard it on our local a.m. radio station. I was shocked when I learned years later that it wasn't a hit. Nevertheless, "Wild One" remains high on my personal Motown hit parade.

I think they also did "Dancing In the Street" on this program too. "Wild Ones" was one of my favorites when I started getting into collecting Martha and the Vandellas work. Over the years it has slipped way, way, way down the line of favorites, but it's still a great song.

Coppelia-Birdsong Guest
    Thank you for this, Wild One has become one of my quintissential [[spelling?) MRATV tracks. It's one of my absolute faves along with Dancing in the Street, Love Makes me Do Foolish Things, Happiness is Guaranteed, Nowhere to Run, Love Bug Leave My Heart Alone, Quicksand and Third Finger Left Hand.

Also it's nice to see the folks they are performing for dancing and bopping along, I remember feeling angry when I saw the Supremes performing Baby Love and all the kids on stage with them were shuffling along looking not just awkward but very bored. How dare you be bored! Do you know what I would give to be in your position? Effyou.

Quote Originally Posted by Philles/Motown Gary View Post
    Yeah, I love it, too! I thought "Wild One" was a perfect follow-up to "Dancing In The Street", and a perfect precedent to "Nowhere To Run". Motown was on a roll! I ran out and bought "Wild One" for my 14th birthday as soon as I heard it on our local a.m. radio station. I was shocked when I learned years later that it wasn't a hit. Nevertheless, "Wild One" remains high on my personal Motown hit parade.
    Still bummed out that song only reached #34. This song was MR&TV's at their most rock and rollest and that's all Motown did for it?! I mean I know it followed DITS in a sense but it should've stood on its own merit FAR MORE than it did. It's arguably the best track they ever did if you forget Heatwave, Quicksand, DITS and NTR didn't exist lol

Quote Originally Posted by Coppelia-Birdsong View Post
    Thank you for this, Wild One has become one of my quintissential [[spelling?) MRATV tracks. It's one of my absolute faves along with Dancing in the Street, Love Makes me Do Foolish Things, Happiness is Guaranteed, Nowhere to Run, Love Bug Leave My Heart Alone, Quicksand and Third Finger Left Hand.

Also it's nice to see the folks they are performing for dancing and bopping along, I remember feeling angry when I saw the Supremes performing Baby Love and all the kids on stage with them were shuffling along looking not just awkward but very bored. How dare you be bored! Do you know what I would give to be in your position? Effyou.
    I guess with many kids, the Supremes seemed more...plain than the Vandellas. The Beatles recalled how they met the Supremes in London and how all three of them acted like "grandmas". But I think they also met MR&TV's and said they were more of their speed... least I think that was the story, I could be mistaken the Vandellas for another group. The KIDS really got MR&TV's.

Which is odd because whenever I think of the Supremes and MR&TV's, I always think of the former as the female Beatles and MR&TV's as the female Stones in terms of attitude and songs...

Quote Originally Posted by midnightman View Post
    I guess with many kids, the Supremes seemed more...plain than the Vandellas. The Beatles recalled how they met the Supremes in London and how all three of them acted like "grandmas". But I think they also met MR&TV's and said they were more of their speed... least I think that was the story, I could be mistaken the Vandellas for another group. The KIDS really got MR&TV's.

Which is odd because whenever I think of the Supremes and MR&TV's, I always think of the former as the female Beatles and MR&TV's as the female Stones in terms of attitude and songs...
    I think the Beatles were rather fond of the Ronettes. In her book, Ronnie wrote quite a bit about their experiences together in the UK as well as the US. Not sure what the Beatles thought of the Vandellas specifically. Martha didn't share any experiences with them in her book.

Still bummed out that song only reached #34. This song was MR&TV's at their most rock and rollest and that's all Motown did for it?! I mean I know it followed DITS in a sense but it should've stood on its own merit FAR MORE than it did. It's arguably the best track they ever did if you forget Heatwave, Quicksand, DITS and NTR didn't exist lol
    I love this song and play it often in Martha mixes and mixed mixes. How cool to see this video!

i don’t get your comment “ and that’s all Motown date for it? “… What does that mean?

I adore the sound of this record and I also am surprised it’s stalled at 34, but the storyline is not very strong and you have to listen kind a hard for the lyrics so I can see why didn’t do as well as its predecessor…… But this is definitely in my top 10 Martha singles.

Motown could've promoted it better is all I'm saying.

Motown could've promoted it better is all I'm saying.
    Yes, perhaps. Do you think they promoted dancing in the street more? I wonder what they did for that song that they didn’t do for a wild one? What would you have done differently? If I remember correctly, I believe Wilde one started out rather strong and then kind of petered out……

Quote Originally Posted by TheMotownManiac View Post
    Yes, perhaps. Do you think they promoted dancing in the street more? I wonder what they did for that song that they didn’t do for a wild one? What would you have done differently? If I remember correctly, I believe Wilde one started out rather strong and then kind of petered out……
    Yep. I truly do believe that. DITS had a chance to be #1 lol

I felt with some songs that peaked at #2, there should've been stronger push by the Motown staff to make sure it was #1. They did TRY on Heat Wave but I think there was a reason they couldn't get #1 there.

But yeah Wild One tried to take off and, as you said, it petered out. Like was Motown scared they were gonna lose their "we're not that gritty label" reputation that they were JUST starting to build? Lol

First time hearing the song, love it!

Coppelia-Birdsong Guest
    I would say after the Supremes the Vandellas are my fave Motown act.

I think the contrast I personally see between them is that the Supremes are like bad good girls: they are America's sweethearts, but they are not completely innocent: they are good girls, but they have a naughty side.

I see the Vandellas as being good bad girls: they are bad girls, but good bad girls if you know what I mean. Yeah they might bunk off a class every now and then to go smoke in the girl's bathroom, but they are actually surprisingly wholesome and domestic, they help grandmas with their shopping and will beat the everloving s**t out of anyone who tries to bully their little brothers and sisters. If I wrote a comic about Motown High, the Supremes would be the new students and the Vandellas would be the good bad girls who take the younger more vulnerable girls under their wings, and if a boyfriend tries hitting one of them, ooooooooh, well honey, that was a very bad idea....

Wild One

Quote Originally Posted by TheMotownManiac View Post
    It must be remembered that Wild One was released [[13 Nov. '64) soon after Come See About Me [[27 Oct. '64). Looking for a third consecutive no. 1 for the Supremes, it is possible Mr. Gordy did not want any serious competition from within the company at that time. Saying that, Too Many Fish In The Sea was released on 14 Oct. '64 and reached no. 25. Maybe there was just too much choice at the time and wild One lost out. Great song though!

This song is like the essence of Motown and uptown soul.

Quote Originally Posted by TomatoTom123 View Post
    First time hearing the song, love it!
    Lol wow. The first time? Haha nah I ain't gonna front. I was all of 22 when I first heard the song after I bought their "Gold" collection.

Quote Originally Posted by blue_whippet View Post
    It must be remembered that Wild One was released [[13 Nov. '64) soon after Come See About Me [[27 Oct. '64). Looking for a third consecutive no. 1 for the Supremes, it is possible Mr. Gordy did not want any serious competition from within the company at that time. Saying that, Too Many Fish In The Sea was released on 14 Oct. '64 and reached no. 25. Maybe there was just too much choice at the time and wild One lost out. Great song though!
    YIKES!!! The fall of '64 was a busy period for Motown, wasn't it?!

Tamla, Motown AND Gordy going at it... JESUS.

Lol wow. The first time? Haha nah I ain't gonna front. I was all of 22 when I first heard the song after I bought their "Gold" collection.
    Hey midnight I beat you by a few years then...

Quote Originally Posted by TomatoTom123 View Post
    Hey midnight I beat you by a few years then...
    Touche.

Quote Originally Posted by blue_whippet View Post
    ‘I don’t think anyone was worried about the future of come see about me - it was a killer track and was halfway to number one when wild one was released. I think Barry Gordy would’ve done anything to get a number one on Martha…… To have two female groups with number one records? Do you have another female group selling albums? I think he would’ve done anything. As great as wild one is, I don’t think that anyone feels it is a better record than dancing in the street … Commercially anyway, self dancing in the street didn’t go to number one I’m certain that no one was expecting Wilde one to go to number one And… Dancing in the street was no competition for baby love which were out of the same time…… baby love just jumped over dancing in the street to number one. As determined and avaricious as Berry Gordy was, it’s going to get a lot of convincing for me to consider the fact that he would sabotage his own records for another. I do think that radio stations might have been conscious of how many girls group records it was adding or how many Motown Memories Miracles Wonders and Marvelettes…… Plus, as much as I love wild one and it’s beside, it might’ve been a little rough for a lot of stations… Especially ones that were reluctant to play too much in the way of lack of music. I never heard wild one on a pop station, but they played it fairly regularly for a little while on KATZ - The Sound Of Soul in St Louis Which broadcast strongly in southern Illinois where I lived and there were no black people at all.