[REMOVE ADS]

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Supremes Sing HDH Expanded

I know I'm early considering A-Go-Go was released just a few months ago, I am anxiously awaiting Supremes Sing Holland Dozier Holland Expanded edition. Does anyone have any details? Thanks in advance.

I thought the Gold w/ the large speckled photo cover was great...it commanded attention and must have been very unique style wise and I imagine a big deal in getting record store display at the time. We had the hot pink detailing on A Go Go which seemed right in step with the budding psychedelic scene, and this seems like a classy attempt at retro / throwback.

It was a beautiful album cover, even though the photo was from 1965. It was more "Supreme" to me than what they did with R&H cover.

Caliluv I'm anxious right along with you. I've owned A Go Go since 1993, and at the time it was first acquired I thought it was great. Over the years my enthusiasm waned quite a bit and it dipped in the rankings of my favorite Supremes albums. But the expanded edition mixes brought new life to not only the original album cuts but the previously released outtakes, and I've found myself enjoying the album the way I did when I first bought it. Now I can't wait for HDH expanded and to hear what the fellas do with that set. Hopefully it's even better than A Go Go!

In the UK it was released as The Supremes Sing Motown and I preferred the UK album cover [[and title).

Only Andy and George would know conclusively.

I had that one on a CD...got it from CDNow...remember them? they were very dependable for imports at a fair price. Now what little I do buy I get from Collectors Choice. I thought the title was more appropriate for the LP 80's reissue that featured cartoon like images
    on the front...I loved that & the Motown Legends LP.... I had a 8 track UK distributed tape titled Motown Special [[I think!) in my car that had a very similar track selection to the Legends LP

While promoting "The Supremes: The Ultimate Merry Christmas" on their Facebook pages, Andy & George revealed that they were putting some finishing touches on "The Supremes Sing H-D-H Expanded Edition" and that it should be available in early 2018.
    The "Ultimate Merry Christmas" booklet merely stated that the HDH Expanded Edition was coming soon.

Quote Originally Posted by luckyluckyme View Post
    While promoting "The Supremes: The Ultimate Merry Christmas" on their Facebook pages, Andy & George revealed that they were putting some finishing touches on "The Supremes Sing H-D-H Expanded Edition" and that it should be available in early 2018.
    The "Ultimate Merry Christmas" booklet merely stated that the HDH Expanded Edition was coming soon.
    It is also mentioned in the Ultimate Xmas booklet that HDH disc 2 will contain the entire recorded May 67 Copa show!

Quote Originally Posted by greg jones View Post
    It is also mentioned in the Ultimate Xmas booklet that HDH disc 2 will contain the entire recorded May 67 Copa show!
    Uh oh. I'm guessing that might mean there won't be many alternates or new discoveries making the set, like when the Roostertail show was released on Symphony expanded. I'll be glad to get it of course, but my excitement was for studio recordings.

Quote Originally Posted by RanRan79 View Post
    Uh oh. I'm guessing that might mean there won't be many alternates or new discoveries making the set, like when the Roostertail show was released on Symphony expanded. I'll be glad to get it of course, but my excitement was for studio recordings.
    It seems like a lot of those were front loaded onto A Go Go. Maybe Andy and George weren't sure HDH would get released so wanted to get those out to we, the adoring fans. But don't fear. They always seems to have a few delightful tricks up their sleeves.

I wish a Jean/Scherrie era lost and found would come out. HDH is one of my favorite overall LPS...the only dog on it for me was Heat Wave and in time I got sick of Going Down For The 3d Time in the stereo mix. I like the version as I originally heard it w/o the repeated "save me save me"

I agree with your view of Heat Wave. I was so excited to see it on the list of songs when I bought the LP when released but was underwhelmed by the song. I know comparing it to Martha's version is apples vs. oranges but I thought HDH would have pushed Diana a little in the studio. It seems, to me, like she just walked through the whole production. And, you could barely hear Mary and Flo.

Quote Originally Posted by mysterysinger View Post
    In the UK it was released as The Supremes Sing Motown and I preferred the UK album cover [[and title).
    I preferred the UK cover too. I bought both the album and the CD version when that came out briefly in the UK.
    There seems to be a few alternate shots from the UK cover photo cover. I'm sure we will be treated to one or two in the upcoming expanded set.

Quote Originally Posted by gman View Post
    I wish a Jean/Scherrie era lost and found would come out. HDH is one of my favorite overall LPS...the only dog on it for me was Heat Wave and in time I got sick of Going Down For The 3d Time in the stereo mix. I like the version as I originally heard it w/o the repeated "save me save me"
    Glad HDH Expanded will be released and hoping for at least Reflections and Love Child to follow. I preferred the latter two albums over HDH.

Although I loved Copa, Talk of the Town and Farewell I don't get too excited about releases containing LIVE performances. I will still get HDH but, like Symphony Expanded, it will probably not get played as much as Meet, WDOLG, More Hits and A' Go-Go Expanded Editions.

I also prefer the mono mixes for Going Down and Remove This Doubt. I think the additional background vocal responses "Save me, save me" on the former and "From my heart" on the latter, on the stereo mixes, ruin the mood of the songs.

I'm also not a fan of the Motown covers on HDH, although I did like the alternates that were included on the A' Go-Go Expanded Edition.

Quote Originally Posted by thanxal View Post
    But don't fear. They always seems to have a few delightful tricks up their sleeves.
    That's the good part. The guys usually have a surprise up their sleeves. I'm still anxiously awaiting the HDH set.

Quote Originally Posted by motownlover1964 View Post
    I agree with your view of Heat Wave. I was so excited to see it on the list of songs when I bought the LP when released but was underwhelmed by the song. I know comparing it to Martha's version is apples vs. oranges but I thought HDH would have pushed Diana a little in the studio. It seems, to me, like she just walked through the whole production. And, you could barely hear Mary and Flo.
    Agreed. I don't know why HDH slowed the tempo down. The Supremes were very capable of singing at the pace of the original "Heat Wave". Their version kind of drags along IMO. Even the version released on the previous expanded edition suffers from a slower pace, even though the girls sound pretty good.

Quote Originally Posted by johnjeb View Post
    Glad HDH Expanded will be released and hoping for at least Reflections and Love Child to follow. I preferred the latter two albums over HDH.

Although I loved Copa, Talk of the Town and Farewell I don't get too excited about releases containing LIVE performances.
    Love Child expanded is another one I'm anxiously waiting for. I love that album. But I agree about the live performances. The only ones I was excited about were the Apollo and Battle of the Bands performances on Meet expanded and the 20 Grand performance on WDOLG. I'll get excited for anything live pre 1965.

I guessing on the track listing

Disc 1
    Mono and stereo lp
    There might be room for 2 or 3 additional tracks. There r a variety of mixes of YKMHO. Guessing they'll include a couple of them

Disc 2
    Copa probably take up bulk of disc. Then room for 3-4 more tracks

I'm curious as to how much more "non specialty" recording the group was doing now. YKMHO was recorded in June and LIHANYG was recorded in aug/sept. I'll Turn To Stone and It's Same Okd were both ready for A Go Go. You're gone but always, remove this doubt and love is in our hearts were all older songs pulled from the vault. The tracks were already cut for There's No Stopping, I Guess I'll Always and Mother You.

I also wonder if there's much vault material left for Reflections either. One Side 1 there r some cool psychedelic soul tracks like Reflections, I'm gonna make it, I can't make it alone and bah bah. Even Forever is in a similar vein. I wonder if there's some more. Am I Asking Too Much seems to fit here [[released on Never Before Masters in 80s). Then In and Out was a pop tune recorded back w M and F along with Going all the way to true true love. What the world and Misery are A Go Go leftovers.

There are a few DMC sessions w HDH like stay in my lonely arms and heaven must have sent you.

i think you got it right , disc 1 is mono and stereo version , then disc 2 new mixes and new kevin reeves mixes.....and the copa show. I thought dina was ill during this show and that is why it wasn't released.
    yes I heard there are several mixes of YKMHO. love the Motown story version with Flo and Mary whipping it up in the back up.

Quote Originally Posted by sup_fan View Post
    I guessing on the track listing

Disc 1
    Mono and stereo lp
    There might be room for 2 or 3 additional tracks. There r a variety of mixes of YKMHO. Guessing they'll include a couple of them

Disc 2
    Copa probably take up bulk of disc. Then room for 3-4 more tracks

I'm curious as to how much more "non specialty" recording the group was doing now. YKMHO was recorded in June and LIHANYG was recorded in aug/sept. I'll Turn To Stone and It's Same Okd were both ready for A Go Go. You're gone but always, remove this doubt and love is in our hearts were all older songs pulled from the vault. The tracks were already cut for There's No Stopping, I Guess I'll Always and Mother You.
    This is probably the likeliest scenario. I figure YKMHO appears in some form aside from the mono and stereo released versions, probably Love Is Here also. Awhile back one of the guys announced that an alternate lead to an already released cut had been discovered with a different Supreme singing lead, but there was no other information given such as which song, singer, grouping or even where the recording falls in the timeline. So that's one more possibility, if the song in question is from HDH. The other Coke commercials might also show up here.

As for Reflections, I know there's an alternate "Forever Came Today". I had it on a bootleg disk but I can't find it. It's either packed away in another state or I accidentally tossed it. And then of course this would be the perfect time to get the Funk Bros version of "In and Out of Love", which I'm assuming is the original Supremes without the Andantes. I'm hoping we can also get the released version of In and Out with the Andantes removed, if possible, just for comparisons.

Agree w all of these. I'm assuming the majority of the upcoming expanded editions will have alt vocals and alt mixes. And that's about it

Agree w all of these. I'm assuming the majority of the upcoming expanded editions will have alt vocals and alt mixes. And that's about it
    Alternate vocals and mixes are great though. There's been some great surprises in those. An example would be the alternate mix of "Mother Dear" [[Version 3) with that hot piano instrumental and different background vocals not heard in the original 1966 mix released on the 2000 Pink box set.

Quote Originally Posted by bradsupremes View Post
    Alternate vocals and mixes are great though. There's been some great surprises in those. An example would be the alternate mix of "Mother Dear" [[Version 3) with that hot piano instrumental and different background vocals not heard in the original 1966 mix released on the 2000 Pink box set.
    Oh yeah! I've never been a fan of the More Hits version of "Mother Dear", but I instantly fell in love with the re-worked version on the 2000 box set. I even love the re-recorded version on the More Hits expanded. I just can't bring myself to feel much of anything for the original version. But man did the guys really do a great job with the "Mother Dear 66" alternate mix on AGoGo expanded. They took a song I already LOVED and made me love it even more than I already did. That doesn't usually happen.

I would love for never before heard songs to appear on these sets, and I still hold out hope for new discoveries, which does happen from time to time. But knowing that we Supremes fans have been getting unreleased material for decades now, it's just common sense that at this point there's just not a ton of stuff left from the Flo years. So I expect alternates and I actually welcome them. Sometimes there's little to no difference- at least to my ears- between the versions and that can be a bit annoying. Other times it's "almost" a different song. Like the various versions of "Buttered Popcorn" or like recently, the original version of "It's the Same Old Song" on AGoGo expanded.

I think they will include an 'extended version' of "You Keep Me Hanging On" [[ala the 'SupreMix' of "Love Is Like An Itching In My Heart") and as another poster had said, the remaining Coke Commercials.

Quote Originally Posted by luckyluckyme View Post
    Great to get a confirmation! I'll order the CD as soon as it is up for pre-order.

Lol oh I'm not complaining about the alt vocals. And the alt mixes too. I love how they bring out different instrumentation

Quote Originally Posted by Motown Eddie View Post
    I think they will include an 'extended version' of "You Keep Me Hanging On" [[ala the 'SupreMix' of "Love Is Like An Itching In My Heart") and as another poster had said, the remaining Coke Commercials.
    On "The #1's" there was the Almighty [[edit version) remix of "You Keep Me Hanging On." And Almighty released a longer version on one of its own Almighty disc collections. I wonder if that will be included here.

Quote Originally Posted by RanRan79 View Post
    Oh yeah! I've never been a fan of the More Hits version of "Mother Dear", but I instantly fell in love with the re-worked version on the 2000 box set. I even love the re-recorded version on the More Hits expanded. I just can't bring myself to feel much of anything for the original version. But man did the guys really do a great job with the "Mother Dear 66" alternate mix on AGoGo expanded. They took a song I already LOVED and made me love it even more than I already did. That doesn't usually happen.

I would love for never before heard songs to appear on these sets, and I still hold out hope for new discoveries, which does happen from time to time. But knowing that we Supremes fans have been getting unreleased material for decades now, it's just common sense that at this point there's just not a ton of stuff left from the Flo years. So I expect alternates and I actually welcome them. Sometimes there's little to no difference- at least to my ears- between the versions and that can be a bit annoying. Other times it's "almost" a different song. Like the various versions of "Buttered Popcorn" or like recently, the original version of "It's the Same Old Song" on AGoGo expanded.
    Everyone has their own taste but I have always loved "Mother Dear" on the original album. The alt version is nice but I prefer the original.

Me, too, vgalindo. "Mother Dear" has always been my favorite track on "More Hits". Musically speaking, nothing gets be going like an uptempo shuffle beat. And "Mother Dear" was that to a tee!

I was never much a fan of the '67 Copa because I always hated that there were way too many show tunes in the act by this time and also this when they started doing that sped up hits medley. But over recent years I've come to appreciate the show tunes and reminded me why I fell in love with the group in the first place: they were so theatrical! Diana and Flo were both hoarse on the show and I'm sure the stress of what was happening behind the scenes had a lot to do with that.

I really, really cannot wait for this expanded edition. This has always been one of my favorite albums even with the dated material on there. At least it was more original material than the previous two albums they had. You Keep Me Hanging On. Love Is Here. Mother You, Smother You. Going Down for the Third Time. Bring it on!

I have never heard a live at the Copa LP that I loved or felt did the performance justice...the house band just didn't do any of the pop acts of the RnR period well...the most tolerable one is Bobby Vinton's. He is also a trained orchestra leader and horn player, and his arrangements sound like he went through great pains not to make the night club orchestra sound like Klezmer music. Compare any artist's other live LPs to the ones recorded at the Copa for an example. Perhaps they didn't use enough Strings and overdid it on the Brass? I never heard the Tempts Copa LP...and most likely
    would like that and Marvin's as much as I like the Supremes just
    because it was done at a early period peak
    Last edited by gman; 11-10-2017 at 02:27 PM.

Just wanted to take the time to recognize the fine and very talented gentlemen who made magic happen with their words and music:

great photo...is that [[L to R) Lamont, Eddie, Brian?

Quote Originally Posted by gman View Post
    great photo...is that [[L to R) Lamont, Eddie, Brian?

Yes. That is correct.

I couldn't resist sharing this really cool publicity photo of Eddie. Hope you guys don't mind.

I am looking forward to the release of The Supremes sing Holland-Dozier-Holland. It's a great album and it contains what just might be my all time favorite Supremes track - You Keep Me Hangin' On.

I am not a big fan of the cover though. The graphics are cool, what I don't like is that picture. The girls are oddly posed and it does Diana absolutely no favors. She looks pissed off in the photo - it's not very flattering. It was also by the time of the album's release two years old.

They should have chosen a more flattering and current photo for the cover.

Quote Originally Posted by LoveSupreme View Post
    I couldn't resist sharing this really cool publicity photo of Eddie. Hope you guys don't mind.

I am looking forward to the release of The Supremes sing Holland-Dozier-Holland. It's a great album and it contains what just might be my all time favorite Supremes track - You Keep Me Hangin' On.

I am not a big fan of the cover though. The graphics are cool, what I don't like is that picture. The girls are oddly posed and it does Diana absolutely no favors. She looks pissed off in the photo - it's not very flattering. It was also by the time of the album's release two years old.

They should have chosen a more flattering and current photo for the cover.

Wow. I love the album cover. I think all 3 of them look good!

I'm assuming there is a slight delay in the release? :-[[

Quote Originally Posted by aarondillon2011@gmail.com View Post
    I'm assuming there is a slight delay in the release? :-[[
    Why do you say that? Should it have already been released?

Is someone saying the HDH cover wasn't good?

I thought that was the best Supremes album cover ever - 3 strong, almost tough, black women - my recollection is that those were words used in a Rolling Stone Review. And Mary and Flo right there with Miss Ross. In Gold and Black. Solid gold.

I didn't think you could do better.

Quote Originally Posted by jobeterob View Post

I thought that was the best Supremes album cover ever - 3 strong, almost tough, black women - my recollection is that those were words used in a Rolling Stone Review. And Mary and Flo right there with Miss Ross. In Gold and Black. Solid gold.

I've always loved the HDH cover for the same reasons; a great amalgamation of contemporary Motown and old Hollywood glamour.

Quote Originally Posted by jobeterob View Post

They said they preferred the Sing Motown cover. I like the HDH cover as is, but the Sing Motown cover [[both shots that I've seen) should have made the cover of a US Supremes album. My vote would be the Rodgers and Hart cover since I don't care for the original.

i loved the cover pic, but disliked the pic on the back.

i think the cover was strong too. This was the first "sophisticated" cover IMO although WDOLG could qualify too. More Hits and Symphony are great covers but to me they still convey the innocence of the girls. the Sups are still pretty young girls, having a ball, living the dream, singing "their parent's songs" on Symphony and doing it very well. A Go Go was the mod supremes. very timely to the era and reinforced how hip they were. HDH was the mature cover.

Reflections was a cool cover but the lp fell short. too many syrupy cover songs - should have had more HDH originals and psychedelic soul content.

Love Child was a cool cover and while the lp was strong, it would hold up better today in general had they stuck with the original concept of serious songs and social relevance.

Sunshine in - yikes

Cream of the Crop - love the group shot but the mega diana head. frightening.

Right On - ok but i think they could have done better

New Ways - we all know it should have just been the afro shot

Touch and FJ - love

the weed - enough said

Stevie Wonder - hmmmm interesting to wonder what look they could have gone with. i think something modern, funky

Sups 75 - meh. not memorable. could have been stronger. and the asian chic on the back cover subbing for miss birdsong?

HE - love, although the back cover art could have been stronger

MSS - wonderful, front and back. love love love

forgot a few

original Meet - campy but great. reissue is only ok
    Country, Liverpool, Sam - all are ok
    Copa - great
    Sing RH - pretty solid
    Greatest Hits - classic
    Talk of Town - amazing front, weak back due to image quality
    Funny Girl - pretty strong
    GH3 - gag
    TCB - amazing
    GIT - ok
    At their best - weak
    Japan - pretty good

Sup fan I agree with most of your thoughts regarding the album covers. Obviously Jimmy Webb album [[or the weed as you call it) is the worst one. I also hate the cover of Greatest Hits 3 and Reflections and Sam Cooke. Sunshine In is okay. New Ways sucked, but I don't hate it. The obvious choice would have been the afro pic. Cream of the Crop would've been okay if not for the giant Diana head. It looks stupid. [[Note: in a previous thread some months back, I believe I may have erroneously ranted about my hatred of the Crop cover. At some point I realized that I was mixing that cover up with the Greatest Hits 3 cover but I never went back to correct my thought. Anyway, I HATE the Greatest Hits 3 cover.) Symphony was okay, but I would have chosen a more up to date photo. By the time Symphony hit the streets, that photo session was a year old and their look had changed for the better. [[Which is also my criticism of the R&H cover pic of the girls...it was years old and their look had changed dramatically by that time.)

My favorites are A GoGo, HDH, Greatest Hits 1&2, Love Child, Touch and Supremes 75.

Cream of the Crop - love the group shot but the mega diana head. frightening.
    "mega diana head" LOL

Excellent description sup

i thought the reflections cover was creative. realize that there's the alt version of it that included a few flo pics. and some get upset about her being cut out of pics. but overall i think it was pretty cool.

Agree that Symphony and R&H used older pics and could be considered a bit out of date. I think the same for the back cover of Cream of Crop. that was a pic from one of Cindy's first photo sessions

it did always strike me as odd that they included all of the Funny Girl skit pics in TCB. love the shots but since it wasn't in special it seems out of place

Forgot the duet albums

Join - ok. i think the back looks cheap though
    Together - meh
    Mag 7 - goofy but i sort of lik
    Return - hate to say it but i love this one lololol. the front is sexy as hell and Mary and Cindy look fierce. plus Levi in chaps - mmmmmm
    Dynamite - i think this is worse than jimmy webb. beyond cheap. the weed is bad but at least you can attempt to explain it as being sensitive and artistic.

another i hate - Let Yourself Go set with the hideous "mothra" cartoon lolol. sorry Andy and gang. love all your work but i think the three-headed-hydra image frankly came from the MJL era during their Jimmy Webb promotions and it was bad then too. prefer the HE drawing

Yeah, you listed some pretty bad ones. Of the duets with the Tops, the only one I like is Return. Dynamite is bad but I don't think anything is as bad as the cover of JW and not a Supreme to be found. Of the duets with the Tempts, Join is a beautiful cover and TCB is cool.

Flo being on Reflections cover would've just seemed silly at that point with Cindy firmly in her place. Putting Flo on the cover of Greatest Hits, even in painted form, was a smart move by Motown. They could've been petty and put Cindy on the cover. Good move.

As a UK fan I love the picture on the supremes sing motown. I have to say my favourite album cover is i hear a symphony. I love Marys facial expression for some reason.

i did like the UK cover art,very elegant but the US version is also strong. I liked both.
    I also like the REFLECTIONS and LOVE CHILD lp covers
    I think 1-23-67 is the original release date of SING HDH